• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Zzoram

Big B said:
the black stick that the Maiden in Black hold: is it just a simple stick or does it have a bulb thing on top? I don't have access to my game at the moment so if someone can enlighten me I'd love it.

(yes this is a Halloween related question)

There is a tiny flame on the tip I believe. At least that's what I think it was.

Zzoram

Ok so I finally got my new copy and played it for the first time in a year. I decided to continue from my old save file - boy is that hard. It took me a while to refamiliarize myself with the controls and UI. For the most part I don't remember any of the level layouts. Now I'm trying to remember what I was planning to do with weapon upgrades to work on Trophies. I can't even remember how I was planning to build my character, who has pretty rounded stats. I can't recall exactly but they're roughly:

Vitality 10
Intelligence 20
Endurance 21
Strength 22
Dexterity 20
Magic 20
Faith 18
Luck 8

If I only care about PvE, what stats should I emphasize? I know Endurance 40 is where you max stamina. What weapon should I make? Keeping in mind I'm trying to get the weapon trophies.

I have a Sticky Composite Longbow +2 (aiming for +5 Spiderstone trophy), Mirdan Hammer +3 (I think I was debating between Dragon and Blessed), Crescent Falchion +1, Winged Spear +8 (I think I was trying to get +10 Sharpstone trophy), Purple Flame Shield +6 (I think this can upgrade to something but the DS wiki is missing info on this page).

I can't remember what I was doing either, I think just farming Reaper and Miners for souls and stones.

this is soren; was going to make a male but instead went female and forgot to change her name to something more feminine. it also took me a good while to make a female that didn't look like a hideous beast.

soren2.jpg
soren1.jpg

RiverBed

Banned
What's the difference between entering a level in body form and spirit form? Also, how do I make the switch? I just touch the gate stone thing in the Nexsus and I am teleported there without knowing what form I am in.

Man, I couldn't even venture far in the first castle (1-1) I keep dying then I have to repeat my trip all over again. The game forces me to be conscious and afraid. I like that. I just have to keep fighting my frustrations because I want to prove that I still 'got it'.

You're currently in soul form. If you want to regain your body you need to either beat a boss or use a semi-rare item called Stone of Ephemeral Eyes.

Soul form
• Health bar capped at about 50 percent.
• Silent footsteps.
• You do slightly more damage.
• You may help other players as a Blue Phantom.
• You may invade other players' worlds as a Black Phantom.

Body form
• Full health bar.
• You may summon other players to help you out as Blue Phantoms.
• Your world can be invaded by other players.

Foffy

Banned
I have a question for those familiar with From Software games. This has me a bit curious, but what other games feature the Sword of Moonlight? I know the sword in Demon's Souls is from King's Field, but is it in any other of their games?

canova said:
What is your level, I may be able to help you tomorrow night with 2-2. I can show a short cut, we're gonna do the leap-of-faith shortcut :D

Your MP must be at least 100 to use second chance

what server are you in? yes there's more invasion in NA than in EU

Wow. That would be awesome. :D I did some leveling yesterday with all the souls I got from 4-1 and 4-2 and am currently soul level 42. I am on the EU servers.

So, what time would you be able to play? As long as it's not too late (as in tonight going by a US timezone) I should be able to play tonight.

edit: Or were you referring to Wednesday when you said "tomorrow"? In that case I won't be able to make it.

RiverBed

Banned
Thanks a lot for the info, archnemesis. It is clearer now.

So do I understand that I cannot continue from anywhere other than the beginning of a level all the way till I defeat the boss of the stage? If so, then wow is it hard.
I only progress a few feet then I die and have to start all over again from the beginning untill I progress just a little bit further then die and d it all over again. And my items don't get regenerated! I don't think I can fight a boss and win in my condition... :(

Zzoram

RiverBed said:
Thanks a lot for the info, archnemesis. It is clearer now.

So do I understand that I cannot continue from anywhere other than the beginning of a level all the way till I defeat the boss of the stage? If so, then wow is it hard.
I only progress a few feet then I die and have to start all over again from the beginning untill I progress just a little bit further then die and d it all over again. And my items don't get regenerated! I don't think I can fight a boss and win in my condition... :(

When playing Demon's Souls always remember what "mode" you're in. Either you're playing to grind for souls/items, or you're playing for level progress. When you're playing for level progress don't let dying bother you, expect it.

I believe every level in the game has at least 1 shortcut. You can only unlock the shortcut after going the normal way, and then usually unlocking a door from the other side or pulling a lever that opens a door or lowers a bridge. In 1-1 there are 3 shortcuts I believe. It's possible to miss them so pay attention.

In some levels, you will open up shortcuts as you progress. Those are permanently open even if you die, so you don't have to do it all over again. You'll find a merchant in the level who will sell you healing grass and other necessities rather cheaply. Also, the blue-eyed knights will drop higher level healing grasses when you defeat them.

edit: Beaten, apparently. :lol

oracrest

MidnightRider said:
1-1 has 3 shortcuts?

please explain

There are several doors and gates that will remain open when you activate their levers/mechanisms.

These shortcuts are common across all worlds.

oracrest

Got to Flamelurker and defeated him with my magician character. It was considerably easier than defeating him twice with melee.

So far, Soul Arrow is my spell of choice, and the flame one (?) for when I need to burn a black phantom or something.

brentech

Rabbitwork said:
this is soren; was going to make a male but instead went female and forgot to change her name to something more feminine. it also took me a good while to make a female that didn't look like a hideous beast.

lol - yeah, I had that problem back when I made my first character which is undoubtedly my main character. Named after my wife only to find out almost all females in the game look manly or like mice women. There's a fine line in this game with the facial workings.

arotator

Neo Member
I corrupted it while shutting off my ps3 while it was either loading or saving, I don't know which. In this case I wasn't trying to prevent the saving of a bad outcome (though I've done that plenty, too :lol ). I was just impatient and frustrated, and turning off the ps3 authoritatively seemed a lot better than chucking the controller at my LCD.

So, I defeated Storm King today. Really easy battle. At least when I started using the Warding spell to buff myself from his strong attacks. Kinda funny that there actually was a boss designed around my playing style (attacking cowardly from a distance).

So, I guess there is nothing to do at the Storm King archstone, once you have gotten all the items?

Broseybrose

dralla said:
I wish the gold mask did something. I'd wear it sine it covers the face, but it doesn't
It looks badass is what it does. That mask looks scary as hell for PvP, i think. Especially on my lvl 125 female faith melee.

roxya

hydrophilic attack said:
So, I defeated Storm King today. Really easy battle. At least when I started using the Warding spell to buff myself from his strong attacks. Kinda funny that there actually was a boss designed around my playing style (attacking cowardly from a distance).

So, I guess there is nothing to do at the Storm King archstone, once you have gotten all the items?

It can be a very good soul farming level with Storm Ruler.

Also the geckos for getting a Pure Darkmoonstone.

Danneee

Is there any easy way to get a pure white world tendency in the first world when playing offline? I have only defeated Phalanx there so far. I want the loot that is to the left of start and the stuff that is beneath the dragons :)

Danneee said:
Is there any easy way to get a pure white world tendency in the first world when playing offline? I have only defeated Phalanx there so far. I want the loot that is to the left of start and the stuff that is beneath the dragons :)

I was wondering the same thing. I am playing online and still getting red dudes show up on my levels even though I only died once in a world and beat 4 bosses (phalanx, toad dude, fire spider and fool idol.)

roxya said:

Jesus Christ I have a lot of learning to do about this game.

There is all kind of stuff that makes it easier that I have no clue about.

Like the skeleton dude at the start of 4-1....... if it wasn't for this thread I would have never thought to use a blunt object on him.

ACE 1991

Currently rocking a Killij +6, but I'm not too satisfied with the damage output anymore. Are there any other 1 handed weapons that I can grab that do more damage?

MidnightRider said:
Like the skeleton dude at the start of 4-1....... if it wasn't for this thread I would have never thought to use a blunt object on him.
Isn't that how you deal with all skeleton-type enemies in RPG games? Slicing through bone is not easy, so a slashing/piercing weapon doesn't make much damage. You use a blunt weapon to cause trauma (break the bones). I'm probably wrong, but I thought that was standard RPG stuff.

FunkyPajamas said:
Isn't that how you deal with all skeleton-type enemies in RPG games? Slicing through bone is not easy, so a slashing/piercing weapon doesn't make much damage. You use a blunt weapon to cause trauma (break the bones). I'm probably wrong, but I thought that was standard RPG stuff.

<---- FPS and FIFA only player

I don't do RPG's which is why it's weird that this game has peaked my interests so much.

EDIT*** Which is why when I beat this game......... i will probably cry. ha

PolishQ

MidnightRider said:
<---- FPS and FIFA only player

I don't do RPG's which is why it's weird that this game has peaked my interests so much.

EDIT*** Which is why when I beat this game......... i will probably cry. ha

Piqued, not peaked. Couldn't let that one go.

roxya said:

Oh, so those small flying beasts will return? Yeah, I could see that being a good grinding spot then.

Also, now that I have gotten the Makoto
and killed Satsuki
would it be a good idea to suicide in that world in body form to shift the world tendency towards black? It wouldn't be a problem if black world tendency makes the world too hard for me, since I am already done with the level and hopefully some unique events will be unlocked, just as in pure white tendency. Or will the difficulty of the endgame be affected by the world tendencies of the different worlds?

hydrophilic attack said:
Oh, so those small flying beasts will return? Yeah, I could see that being a good grinding spot then.

Also, now that I have gotten the Makoto
and killed Satsuki
would it be a good idea to suicide in that world in body form to shift the world tendency towards black? It wouldn't be a problem if black world tendency makes the world too hard for me, since I am already done with the level and hopefully some unique events will be unlocked, just as in pure white tendency. Or will the difficulty of the endgame be affected by the world tendencies of the different worlds?
black phantom satsuki will appear once you've gotten to pbwt. have fun with that one.

also, world 4 is probably the best area to farm, and shifting it toward black tendency will only increase your soul intake. so yes.

Rabbitwork said:
black phantom satsuki will appear once you've gotten to pbwt. have fun with that one.

also, world 4 is probably the best area to farm, and shifting it toward black tendency will only increase your soul intake. so yes.

OK. Thanks! I'm finding the world tendency system a bit confusing so the advice is appreciated. I think I am starting to understand it a bit better now, though. :)

naib

Thinking about getting into this again, but I have a quick question.

I imported the Asia version previously. Is there any reason to get the US version? Did they change much in the localization?

Mooreberg

Still really hit and miss with the PB events. The only place I've beaten bosses since the events started is 2-2 and 2-3 but I still got the Primeval Demon in 2-1, but not in other places where world tendency hasn't shifted.

naib

oracrest said:
stronger multiplayer support perhaps? I'm not sure about content, outside of a few slight changes to weapon or character names maybe.
That's kinda what I figured. maybe I'll just fire it up and see if it still seems active.
Thanks.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
hydrophilic attack said:
I bought the "second chance" spell from Urbain. Seemed like a good investment, even though I had to level my faith a bit to get the miracle capacity to use it. But when I tried using it once, nothing happened. What's up with that?

When you say "nothing happened"... what happens when you cast it is that you'll get a little icon in the upper left... It's possible you don't have enough mana to cast it?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
dralla said:
I wish the gold mask did something. I'd wear it sine it covers the face, but it doesn't

It did something for me!
I traded it to the crow for a colorless soul :p

Also I've been seeing A LOT of black phantom enemies show up in all levels recently. Sometimes 2 at a time mixed with regular enemies. Is that due to world tendency or character tendency?

luka said:
Also I've been seeing A LOT of black phantom enemies show up in all levels recently. Sometimes 2 at a time mixed with regular enemies. Is that due to world tendency or character tendency?
world tendency affects this; it was shifted to black for the 2nd half of the month.

hydrophilic attack said:
OK. Thanks! I'm finding the world tendency system a bit confusing so the advice is appreciated. I think I am starting to understand it a bit better now, though. :)
the general way to look at it is:

-toward pure black: game gets harder (enemies tougher, you have less health in soul form) but the rewards are greater (more souls per enemy, better loot drops)
-toward pure white: game is easier (enemies easier, you have more health in soul form) but the rewards are lesser (less souls per enemy, less drops)

the official demon soul's wiki has a great explanation of how it all works.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Rabbitwork said:
world tendency affects this; it was shifted to black for the 2nd half of the month.

Yeah I wasn't sure if it was immediate or a gradual shift because the in-game WT menu didn't show the levels as pure black. By killing the 3-2 primeval demon I shifted the tendency towards white for a while. Are they effectively PB right now?

edit: additionally, I've never encountered Satsuki (human or BP) in 4-1, and I've combed over that level pretty thoroughly. Are there conditions for meeting him?

Jarlaxle

Just started playing this a couple of weeks ago. Enjoying it so far but I'm a little confused about some things even though I've been trying to read up on things. I've completed 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1. I still have the armor and shield I started the game with. I haven't met anyone that sells different armor. I've only met the blacksmith in the Nexus and a merchant in 1-1 and 2-1 and none of them carry anything worthwhile. Am I missing something?

I've been saving the boss souls because I think I should be doing something with them other than just transforming them into regular demon souls to raise my level. Is this true and if so, what should I be holding onto them for? I've been using all of the other souls (unknown soldier, renknowned hero, etc.)

Sotha Sil

Jarlaxle said:
Just started playing this a couple of weeks ago. Enjoying it so far but I'm a little confused about some things even though I've been trying to read up on things. I've completed 1-1, 1-2, and 2-1. I still have the armor and shield I started the game with. I haven't met anyone that sells different armor. I've only met the blacksmith in the Nexus and a merchant in 1-1 and 2-1 and none of them carry anything worthwhile. Am I missing something?

I've been saving the boss souls because I think I should be doing something with them other than just transforming them into regular demon souls to raise my level. Is this true and if so, what should I be holding onto them for? I've been using all of the other souls (unknown soldier, renknowned hero, etc.)

You should absolutely hang on to your souls. You will find a blacksmith in 2-1; he will help you out.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Jarlaxle said:

You've been doing the right thing by saving them. When you rescue certain NPCs they can teach you spells and miracles, and the guy in 2-1 can use them to upgrade weapons.

Zzoram

Jarlaxle said:

Only hold on to named demon souls from bosses or mini bosses. They can be used to craft special weapons or to buy advanced spells/miracles later. The best gear in the game is mostly found stashed around levels or dropped by killing certain monsters. Many base weapons are viable all game if you upgrade them with stones at te blacksmith. Use the Demon's Souls wiki linked above to see where upgrade paths branch.

luka said:
Yeah I wasn't sure if it was immediate or a gradual shift because the in-game WT menu didn't show the levels as pure black. By killing the 3-2 primeval demon I shifted the tendency towards white for a while. Are they effectively PB right now?

edit: additionally, I've never encountered Satsuki (human or BP) in 4-1, and I've combed over that level pretty thoroughly. Are there conditions for meeting him?
killing the primeval demon sways tendency back toward white pretty substantially. however if you continue to play online it will go back to black every time you connect (until the end of the month). play offline if you don't want your world tendency to shift because of the servers.

Mirimar

Does anyone happen to have a sound clip of the Maiden in Black's prayer?

Soul of the mind, key to life's ether.
Soul of the lost, withdrawn from it's vessel.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended.
So the world might be mended.

Soul of the lost, withdrawn from its vessel.
Let strength be granted so the world might be mended,
so the world might be mended.

Foffy said:
I have a question for those familiar with From Software games. This has me a bit curious, but what other games feature the Sword of Moonlight? I know the sword in Demon's Souls is from King's Field, but is it in any other of their games?

All of the Armored Core games have the Moonlight. It's an energy blade.

Rabbitwork said:
the general way to look at it is:

-toward pure black: game gets harder (enemies tougher, you have less health in soul form) but the rewards are greater (more souls per enemy, better loot drops)
-toward pure white: game is easier (enemies easier, you have more health in soul form) but the rewards are lesser (less souls per enemy, less drops)

the official demon soul's wiki has a great explanation of how it all works.

Thanks! Yeah, the explanation at that link was good. So, am I correct in assuming that the world tendencies won't affect the endgame?

Hawkian said:
When you say "nothing happened"... what happens when you cast it is that you'll get a little icon in the upper left... It's possible you don't have enough mana to cast it?

Yeah. A bit embarassing. I screwed up with my MP. In the memorize miracle menu, I thought it said that I had 100 MP, while 98 were required for the spell. Obviously, it was the other way around and hence my, and my character's, confusion. Seriously, the animation that played when I tried to use the spell was hilarious. :lol

edit: Well, I'm heading off to bed now, so I can't do the co-op with you, canova. Thanks for the offer, though! :)

Canova

Banned
hydrophilic attack said:
Wow. That would be awesome. :D I did some leveling yesterday with all the souls I got from 4-1 and 4-2 and am currently soul level 42. I am on the EU servers.

So, what time would you be able to play? As long as it's not too late (as in tonight going by a US timezone) I should be able to play tonight.

edit: Or were you referring to Wednesday when you said "tomorrow"? In that case I won't be able to make it.

if you're in Europe, hmm the timing could be difficult. You evening would be my afternoon, and I'm working.

And I think my EU characters are pretty high, 100-ish

Top Bottom