• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Sword Familiar said:
If you're low level, chances are your opponent's gonna be scared shitless of you. Keep your cool and you'll probably be alright. Invasion is all a matter of preparation though, so make sure you've got the appropriate items with you before you invade.

I'm soul level 29. But the whole thing was very anticlimatic. When I used the black eye stone, the game couldn't seem to connect to any other player. I got a message about "trying to connect to another world" or something, but nothing seemed to happen. So after a while, I just got bored and went on with my game. Is this normal? Maybe I need to be more patient.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
hydrophilic attack said:
I'm soul level 29. But the whole thing was very anticlimatic. When I used the black eye stone, the game couldn't seem to connect to any other player. I got a message about "trying to connect to another world" or something, but nothing seemed to happen. So after a while, I just got bored and went on with my game. Is this normal? Maybe I need to be more patient.

It happens. I don't think that many are playing right now. It's usually pretty slow on friday/saturday night, for obvious reasons.

Canova

Banned
hydrophilic attack said:

what world did you try to invade? have you tried 4-1 or 4-2?

I tried 1-2. Don't know if that was a good idea. Maybe I should try 4-1 after I have gone through it myself. Do you all know if there is any difference in activity between the European and the American servers?

Canova

Banned
hydrophilic attack said:
I tried 1-2. Don't know if that was a good idea. Maybe I should try 4-1 after I have gone through it myself. Do you all know if there is any difference in activity between the European and the American servers?

Remember you can only invade someone with higher level.

lvl 29 is too high for 1-2. For level 29, I think you should try 1-3, 2-2, 4-1, 4-2. Or you can try world 3-2, you either invade someone or be summoned as the monk boss

There are more invasions in American servers. About same amount of blue or co-ops

Zzoram

Once somebody invaded my 4-1. However I was in that courtyard just before the boss, so even though I could see him coming up from the beginning area he didn't notice me. He ran around for 20 minutes before giving up and leaving because he couldn't find me :lol

canova said:
Remember you can only invade someone with higher level.

lvl 29 is too high for 1-2. For level 29, I think you should try 1-3, 2-2, 4-1, 4-2. Or you can try world 3-2, you either invade someone or be summoned as the monk boss

There are more invasions in American servers. About same amount of blue or co-ops

How about 5-1?

But I should probably get a bit more familiar with the game before I try to invade. I'm still really bad at it. And I actually leveled some more last night to get enough dexterity to use the long compound bow. Maybe I should save invading for a possible second playthrough?

edbrat

Made it through 2-1, quite confusing but finally found a nice shortcut through the level which made my (too many for comfort) retries much easier! No lost souls thank god. Stupid dogs. And I keep missing the sparkly lizard things which bugger off if you don't kill them quickly damnit!

Royal SL 20

VIT 12
INT 14
END 11
STR 11
DEX 12
MAG 20
FAI 13
LUC 7

my buckler + 1 isn't good enough, takes a lot of damage against the fire hurling dudes and from the spider boss. Pretty much forces me to stand back and avoid melee. I picked up a steel shield but when I equip it get a message saying that I'm not skilled enough to use it properly. Found a kris sword thing which does a bit of magic damage and seemed stronger than my rapier so have equipped that. I did pick up a load of stone shards and chunks in 2-1, no idea what to do with them so will wait till i find a good item to improve I guess. Learnt the fireball spell as well. Mulling over whether to go for 3-1 or 4-1 next, 4-1 has the crescent falchion apparently so am tempted to go there, hmmm.

Canova

Banned
hydrophilic attack said:
But I should probably get a bit more familiar with the game before I try to invade. I'm still really bad at it. And I actually leveled some more last night to get enough dexterity to use the long compound bow. Maybe I should save invading for a possible second playthrough?

yeah I would say so.

Also if you really wanna try PvP, play in body form more often, so there's more chance for being invaded

In the meantime, here's more pic from my game, Lvl 20 (almost beat NG+)

bcc5a07a.jpg

Sword Familiar

edbrat said:
I picked up a steel shield but when I equip it get a message saying that I'm not skilled enough to use it properly.

Yeah, you're gonna have to raise your STR to 18 to be able to use that. Not worth it with your build at this point though, imo.

Found a kris sword thing which does a bit of magic damage and seemed stronger than my rapier so have equipped that.

The main usage for the Kris Blade is to increase the magic damage done from your spells, just keep in mind that your magic defence is lowered while using it so it's a double-edged sword. Be careful.

Danneee

Just beat Flamelurker, Armor Spider and that boss with the bird on its head and I'm really loving this game. The only downside is that I feel that I use a lot of exploits on the enemies in the game (using magic from afar just out of reach, running away with the thiefs ring and so on) but I wouldn't get very far in the game if I didn't.
Have just begun to play the game online too and it is different, but I can't say that it is better. Most messages people write are crap and obvious things and the feeling of complete loneliness is kind of gone too.

Canova

Banned
Danneee said:
Just beat Flamelurker, Armor Spider and that boss with the bird on its head and I'm really loving this game. The only downside is that I feel that I use a lot of exploits on the enemies in the game (using magic from afar just out of reach, running away with the thiefs ring and so on) but I wouldn't get very far in the game if I didn't.
Have just begun to play the game online too and it is different, but I can't say that it is better. Most messages people write are crap and obvious things and the feeling of complete loneliness is kind of gone too.

that's ok. I think that's the nature for this kind of game. in this type of game that punishes you hard for making a mistake, you go for the least risk approach.

For the 2nd, 3rd, 4th playthrus that's when you go for the fun-fair approach.

To be honest I had more fun playing this game on my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and so on playthrus. I remember I was so stressed out on my first time. My hands were sweating in world 3-1, 3-2, 5-2, that's the kind of effect this game has in you

Canova

Banned
Sword Familiar said:
I just hope they fix the enemy AI for Project Dark.

It's not perfect, but the enemies AI is one of the best in this generation

top notch boss battles:
- The False King
- The Penetrator
- The Tower King
- The Flamelurker

top notch upper-tier enemies
- The Fat Official
- The Red-eye Knights
- Dual katana skeletons
- Giant Depraved

black phantom enemies:
- Regular black phantoms
- Named black phantoms

Even the regular enemies are smart. If you notice when you fight the depraved ones in world 5, they time their attacks, they lunge at you when you lower your shield.

or regular soldiers/knights in world 1, they charge at you when you chew on your grass.

Plus the white and golden skeletons in world 4 are just deadly

Sword Familiar

I don't agree.

Many, if not all regular enemies, have the same vice in that they are aggressive to a fault, which make them very predictable, and sometimes just plain broken. Especially the giant depraved ones, whom you mentioned, will get stuck in corners and such and just keep running forward even though they don't gain any ground at all, making them very easy targets. Sure, you can go pure melee towards them to up the difficulty a bit, but they'll still be quite easy to fool and they'll keep running into objects all the same.

Also, using the thief ring to lure out tough enemies again and again, using the same backstab hit-and-run tactics might be a coward's way of doing it, but it also shows how broken the system is. "Hey, you backstabbed me! I'll go aggro on you, and chase you to... hey, where'd ya' go? Oh, I know, I'll just walk all the way back to my starting point since the threat is gone.... lalalalala OUCH! YOU BACKSTABBED ME AGAIN! I'll aggro on you, and chase you to...." ad infinitum. You'd think they'd learn EVENTUALLY and be on their guards, at least. :lol

The boss fights are pretty cool though, and I have no real complaints about them, even if they are predictable and some can be exploited.

Anyway, I love the game as whole, I just hope they prioritize making the enemies smarter, rather than just making them stronger, for the next game.

Danneee

canova said:
that's ok. I think that's the nature for this kind of game. in this type of game that punishes you hard for making a mistake, you go for the least risk approach.

For the 2nd, 3rd, 4th playthrus that's when you go for the fun-fair approach.

To be honest I had more fun playing this game on my 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, and so on playthrus. I remember I was so stressed out on my first time. My hands were sweating in world 3-1, 3-2, 5-2, that's the kind of effect this game has in you

Yeah, that's true. I find myself having more fun going trough places I have been to and playing it more like a "normal" game. I have stopped using cheap tactics on enemies I already have formed some kind of tactics against and even if the red eye enemies are formidable I usually prevail.

MYE

Flamelurker Demon got stuck in a ribcage obstacle.
Killed him without even being touched :/

Oh and fuck the Valley of Defilement. This game's camera system was NOT made for tight places full of planks, twigs, toothpic bridges and crap that just gets in the way, keeping me from seeing shit.

WTF FromSoft

Canova

Banned
Sword Familiar said:
I don't agree.

Many, if not all regular enemies, have the same vice in that they are aggressive to a fault, which make them very predictable, and sometimes just plain broken. Especially the giant depraved ones, whom you mentioned, will get stuck in corners and such and just keep running forward even though they don't gain any ground at all, making them very easy targets. Sure, you can go pure melee towards them to up the difficulty a bit, but they'll still be quite easy to fool and they'll keep running into objects all the same.

Also, using the thief ring to lure out tough enemies again and again, using the same backstab hit-and-run tactics might be a coward's way of doing it, but it also shows how broken the system is. "Hey, you backstabbed me! I'll go aggro on you, and chase you to... hey, where'd ya' go? Oh, I know, I'll just walk all the way back to my starting point since the threat is gone.... lalalalala OUCH! YOU BACKSTABBED ME AGAIN! I'll aggro on you, and chase you to...." ad infinitum. You'd think they'd learn EVENTUALLY and be on their guards, at least. :lol

The boss fights are pretty cool though, and I have no real complaints about them, even if they are predictable and some can be exploited.

Anyway, I love the game as whole, I just hope they prioritize making the enemies smarter, rather than just making them stronger, for the next game.

I think you're nitpicking, the ones you mentioned are not even major weaknesses. The thief ring just gives people option on how to defeat the enemies. You're welcome to go mano-a-mano with them if you have balls. If you keep relying on the thief ring to beat your enemies, then that's your damn problem, not the game.

Danneee

MYE said:
Flamelurker Demon got stuck in a ribcage obstacle.
Killed him without even being touched :/

WTF FromSoft

Well From have always had a different approach to game design and polishing is not a big part of their process. That said they have made a lot of great games over the years and the unpolished feel of the games has it own charm.

Zengar

canova said:
I think you're nitpicking, the ones you mentioned are not even major weaknesses. The thief ring just gives people option on how to defeat the enemies. You're welcome to go mano-a-mano with them if you have balls. If you keep relying on the thief ring to beat your enemies, then that's your damn problem, not the game.

Agree. At least the Thief ring give players with mediocre skills like me alternate ways to survive, especially against enemies which could one shot my character like the Giant Depraved ones.

Sword Familiar

canova said:

Enemies getting stuck and attacking you as soon as they see you is hardly nitpicking. There are more exploits than that and if you have to revert to artificial challenges to make the game difficult, then yes, it is the damn game's fault. Getting outsmarted by an enemy and getting overpowered by one is not the same thing. I'm sorry you can't see the difference.

Edit: Besides, I only used the thief ring as an example for how the AI works. They'll use the same tactics over and over, and when you leave them, they'll always go back to their starting points.

I have finished the game using a pure melee build, too, just to be clear.

MYE

Reached the Leechmonger Demon, camera popped behind a stage prop, couldnt see where i was going and within 3 blind steps i fell off a cliff and died.

FUCK

THIS

SHIT

brentech

I'm on NG++ and haven't played the game in months as I got stuck on Maneater and then started playing a bunch of other games. Seeing the screens of Tower Knight make me miss playing so I've got to boot this baby back up, such a great game.

I've been locked in sports game mode for like 3 months now....Fifa 11 absorbing my time, arg!

Canova

Banned
Sword Familiar said:
Enemies getting stuck and attacking you as soon as they see you is hardly nitpicking. There are more exploits than that and if you have to revert to artificial challenges to make the game difficult, then yes, it is the damn game's fault. Getting outsmarted by an enemy and getting overpowered by one is not the same thing. I'm sorry you can't see the difference.

Edit: Besides, I only used the thief ring as an example for how the AI works. They'll use the same tactics over and over, and when you leave them, they'll always go back to their starting points.

I have finished the game using a pure melee build, too, just to be clear.

This is an RPG first and foremost, action game second. The game gives as many options as possible for you to beat it. Unlike in NG2, where the enemies AI is murderous and you have to rely soly on your reflexc to survive.

I think you're confused, and mixing this game with a pure action game.

There's no artifical challenge in this game. The game present it as is.
- Enemies are slow.
- you're given a thief ring, it's up to you to equip it or not.
- you're given a ranged weapons, it's up to to you to range your enemies or not
- you're given a magic spells, it's up to you to use it or not
- if you're too scared to get one-shot by the enemies, those are the options above that you can choose, otherwise time your dodge
- if you play this game slowly and patiently, this is one of the easiest game out there. Most of the enemies are slow, and they come one at a time.

edbrat

Sword Familiar said:
The main usage for the Kris Blade is to increase the magic damage done from your spells, just keep in mind that your magic defence is lowered while using it so it's a double-edged sword. Be careful.

cleared 4-1 and am using a crescent falchion now which is working, shame my melee skills aren't :lol Lost around 15k souls doing 4-1 and exhausted my HP herbs dying on the boss before I caved and watched a youtube video and did it in less than 2 mins damnit!

Thank god there was a short cut to the boss, on a long level without a short cut I can imagine my repeated dying would get very wearing. And I got so careless on my repeated playthroughs which cost me souls. Got the compound long bow but again I don't have the skills to use it :( Have equipped a talisman of god and learnt my first miracle though, guessing another way of healing isn't a bad thing in this game. EU servers so far seem pretty quiet, not many messages or bloodstains and so far thank god I haven't been invaded, if I ever am it will just be fucking panic on my part.

So I've done 1-1, 2-1, 4-1, SL 25, focussing on magic, suppose I should go for 3-1 for Sage Freke next?

edbrat said:
So I've done 1-1, 2-1, 4-1, SL 25, focussing on magic, suppose I should go for 3-1 for Sage Freke next?
I'd go 2-2, it's pretty easy with a magic character. The 2-2 boss is my go to one to help people if I want my body back.

MYE said:
Oh and fuck the Valley of Defilement. This game's camera system was NOT made for tight places full of planks, twigs, toothpic bridges and crap that just gets in the way, keeping me from seeing shit.

WTF FromSoft

I agree with this. I really love the game, but so far world 5 is a real pain. I'm so glad I am done with 5-1 and have opened up the shortcut in 5-2 so I don't have to go through
the swamp
again.

I especially find the camera bothersome in that world when I lock on to enemies.

Thrakier

canova said:
yeah I would say so.

Also if you really wanna try PvP, play in body form more often, so there's more chance for being invaded

In the meantime, here's more pic from my game, Lvl 20 (almost beat NG+)

bcc5a07a.jpg

Woah, which class is that?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Heh, just turned into the Old Monk for the first time. I was trying to get summoned as a blue phantom and I had no idea what was happening. That was one of the more intense fights I've had so far but I eventually wore him down and got my body back. Then as soon as I respawn at 3-2 archstone I get invaded and see him coming straight for me down the bridge. I knocked his ass off and almost immediately get invaded again. :lol Somehow I win and run like a bitch back to the Nexus and sign off.

Nice try guys, my body shall remain mine. At least until tomorrow. :D

storl026

I was thinking of picking this up, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the online modes and features had a timetable of being turned off. Is this true? If so, when is this going to happen?

Zzoram

storl026 said:
I was thinking of picking this up, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the online modes and features had a timetable of being turned off. Is this true? If so, when is this going to happen?

The server will be online until AT LEAST March 2011. It may be up longer but no guarantees. Even without the online, it's an incredible game well worth the $30 Greatest Hits price. None of the trophies require online stuff.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
storl026 said:

If you're talking about the NA version, I recall reading that Atlus is going to keep the servers running until at least March next year.

edit: beaten.

And yeah, the game would be perfectly playable offline. You'd just have to be extra careful because there would be no warnings and you can't summon players to help you.

That's offset by not having black phantoms trying to kill you whenever you get your body back. :lol

I'm actually curious about the state of the asian servers and how long they're supported for. I was thinking of picking up the Japanese version because I heard that there are far more people playing there.

Melfice7

luka said:
And all of a sudden this comic makes perfect sense to me. :lol :lol

5j6O8.png

the first part happened to me a few days ago,was trying to help, got summoned to be the boss, killed the guy..after a bit tried to help again and got summoned as boss against the same guy! killed him again, he sent me a msg full of insults :lol

luka

Loves Robotech S1
So it's pure black tendency for the rest of the month then? I think I picked a bad time to start playing again. I'm at the Maneater(s) now. :(

Sword Familiar

canova said:
This is an RPG first and foremost, action game second. The game gives as many options as possible for you to beat it. Unlike in NG2, where the enemies AI is murderous and you have to rely soly on your reflexc to survive.

I think you're confused, and mixing this game with a pure action game.

To be fair, it's as much of an action game as it is an RPG considering you have rolls, parries/riposte etc. to back you up as well as multiple weapons for different styles etc.. It wants to be both and should therefore benefit from both stats and AI.

I'm not asking for NG style AI action here either, I'm just hoping From Software will address the issues I have with the enemy AI to make the game a bit more challenging. I know I'd at least appreciate it more if they did. It's fun to see monsters mess up sometimes by getting stuck because it's hilarious the issue hasn't been addressed prior to release, but I'd rather they didn't.

Demon's Souls itself can be forgiven because it's a budget title, but I'm not sure I'd be as forgiving if I saw the same issues in the sequel as well.

There's no artifical challenge in this game. The game present it as is.

An artifical challenge is a challenge you create for yourself by limiting your character even though other available options are far superior. In a traditional menu based RPG, it could be "defeat enemies without exploiting their weaknesses" or, "beat the game only using limited skillsets / classes". In other words, if you strip down naked and fight with your bare hands, you're making the game harder than it's meant to be == artificial challenge. So yes, there can be artificial challenges in the game.

Foxix Von

Fuuuuuu. I just had my first encounter with Maneater.... And promptly got man eaten :(

Not even sure if I'm even going to be able to beat him any time soon. I've hardly got anything worthwhile in terms of long range abilities :( and that a-hole just hovers over my head and trolls me in the fog :lol

edbrat

canova said:
yes.

I usually kill him to make my char pure black

is it easy? Do you get a decent no. of souls? Is this a good thing to do in my first playthrough? Is there a guide somewhere re pros and cons of Nexus / non-hostile NPC murder?

Questions

Bolts --- What do they do? I have like 40 something of them but haven't even broke them out to see what they are.

Levels --- How do I tell which level is 1-1 , 2-1 , etc. When I walk up to the podium in the Nexus it just tells me the name of they are. Question is how are they ordered?

Miracles --- I learned and remembered the "Heal" one. It is showing that it is the UP on my D-PAD. When I push up on my D-PAD it just lights up the symbol but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

EDIT*** I also killed someone in the Nexus that had all these "comments" around him that said "Bad guy" or "attack" so I took it upon myself to kill his punk ass. No clue who he was or why he was there. I do know he was acting like a little bitch so I figured I would follow what all the comments said and kill him.

Steroyd

Bolts - I'm assuming these are arrow bolts get a Bow or Crossbow and you can use attack from range.

Levels - The levels aren't numbered themselves but you can number them by where they are clockwise starting from the first level on the left to the 5th world on right.

Miracles - You've got to have a certain item equipped different from using black magic, I havn't played DS for 4 months greeted by a YLOD recently so I can't remember the item exactly. :(
Also your miracle stat has to be at a certain number.

MidnightRider said:
Questions

Bolts --- What do they do? I have like 40 something of them but haven't even broke them out to see what they are.
It's the ammunition for crossbows.

MidnightRider said:
Levels --- How do I tell which level is 1-1 , 2-1 , etc. When I walk up to the podium in the Nexus it just tells me the name of they are. Question is how are they ordered?
sVV7r.jpg

1-1 is the first part of the Boletarian Palace, up until the
Phalanx
boss. After that you're in 1-2 and so on so forth.

MidnightRider said:
Miracles --- I learned and remembered the "Heal" one. It is showing that it is the UP on my D-PAD. When I push up on my D-PAD it just lights up the symbol but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
First you need to find and equip a talisman. There's one in the beginning of
4-1

MidnightRider said:
EDIT*** I also killed someone in the Nexus that had all these "comments" around him that said "Bad guy" or "attack" so I took it upon myself to kill his punk ass. No clue who he was or why he was there. I do know he was acting like a little bitch so I figured I would follow what all the comments said and kill him.
Don't trust random strangers. He was probably useful for something.

Top Bottom