• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

Coldsnap

Any blessed based templar knights use lighter armor? I recently got the Blessed Miridian Hammer and Sword of the Moonlight, so now I don't use a shield and I want to roll around better.

Canova

Banned
Coldsnap said:
Any blessed based templar knights use lighter armor? I recently got the Blessed Miridian Hammer and Sword of the Moonlight, so now I don't use a shield and I want to roll around better.

upgrade your stamina/endurance or equip ring of great strength?

oracrest

Coldsnap said:
I do that and with heavy armor i still roll slow

You need to get your equip burden to half your max before you can roll fast. It took me up until NG+, and almost through that playthrough before I had built up enough stamina, combined with the strength ring before I could roll fast. (I have Biorr's armor, Garl's helmet, steel silver shield/White Bow, and long sword/winged spear.)

The upside is that the bosses are still very beatable with the slow roll.

(I have a theory that the slow roll actually comes with a longer duration of invulnerability. It seems like I get hit faster with the fast roll.)

roxya

Coldsnap said:

I just used the black leather stuff. So yeah, light stuff is fine.

Joei

oracrest said:
You just have to be observant of how much damage your causing. A lot of the Demon's Souls mechanics are happening "behind the scenes."

Someone asked this question a few pages back which I answered to the best of my knowledge. It's not entirely "behind the scenes." If you increase a stat that gives a bonus to a weapon, you'll see it reflected in the weapon info screen and also in the general stat screen. I'll copy/paste what I posted then.

Yes, the damage number you see next to the weapon number is with all the stat bonuses that weapon gets. When you look at a weapon, it'll have the Physical Attack number and a number next to it with a + sign. For example, my Sharp Uchigatana +5 has a Physical Attack of 143 +207 with a total attack of 350. That +207 is from the DEX I have and a very small portion is from the STR I have (since it gets bonuses from both, although only an E from STR). The better the stat bonus that weapon gets, the more often you'll see an increase in attack when you upgrade that particular stat. For example, Sharp +5 weapons and Sticky Bows have an S for Dex, so almost everytime you increase DEX, your attack power with that weapon goes up and is immediately reflected on your stat screen. Lower bonus ranks take more upgrades to give you a bonus in that particular stat. Not to mention, there's even a difference in some S rankings. With the two examples I provided, if I increase DEX another level (currently at 66) my Sticky Compound Long Bow +5 will increase in attack power, but my Sharp Uchi. +5 won't.

Another thing to consider is that the Dragon weapons don't have any stat bonuses, but their bonus from fire damage usually gives them a significant increase in damage and stuns a lot of enemies. Dragon Long Sword +5 was my weapon of choice for the longest time.

I'll also add this which wasn't on my original post. When doing the stat upgrade, have the weapon of interest in your right hand. For something like DEX, when you're going to increase it with the maiden, it'll show how much your attack will increase. I'm not sure if this happens with weapons that have a Faith based increase though.

oracrest

My magician game has been going pretty fun. I got the magic regeneration ring, and have been pumping my INT and MAGIC up for leveling.

rescued Sage Freke, only to discover that he doesn't have any special spells to teach you right off the bat that his apprentice couldn't have taught me. (Really want to get his garb, but will need to get White tendency for 3-1.)

It has been fun, a much different strategy, for sure. It's nice to be able to kill things that I couldn't reach before, like the one archer skeleton in 4-1 up on the ledge. And the black skeleton was CAKE!!! almost a shame how easy he was with my flame spell.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Ok so first time in 2-1 with PBWT and I killed some weird looking egg-shaped thing with a tail after riding a lift where you get crushing axe +1

Fuck should I have done that? I instantly regretted it, thinking I should have looked at the wiki first.

I really only use wiki for things like tendency events, because they are so rare and easy to mess up...

edit: great... that was a guaranteed colorless demon soul and i just fucked it up because I didn't reload. god damn this game pisses me off sometimes. how the hell is normal person supposed to know stuff like this!?

oracrest

I thought I had figured out a great trick to get tons of colorless demon's souls from Sparky the Crow, since he will give you one for a talisman of god.

I loaded up on them when I was in 5-2 from the merchant, and headed to 4-1. Dropped the talisman under his tree, and reloaded. Colorless Demon's Soul! Damn, this is going to be easy! I drop another talisman. "Sqwauk! I already have that!"

Fuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

Demon's Souls doesn't give a fuck about me :/

recklessmind said:
Ok so first time in 2-1 with PBWT and I killed some weird looking egg-shaped thing with a tail after riding a lift where you get crushing axe +1

Fuck should I have done that? I instantly regretted it, thinking I should have looked at the wiki first.

I really only use wiki for things like tendency events, because they are so rare and easy to mess up...

edit: great... that was a guaranteed colorless demon soul and i just fucked it up because I didn't reload. god damn this game pisses me off sometimes. how the hell is normal person supposed to know stuff like this!?

How did you not notice that it left a item after you killed it? Weren't you standing next to it when it dropped the colorless demon's soul?

Canova

Banned
Beaten world 2 and 4 in NG+ woooohoooo!!

I had to upgrade my char to level 20 though, NG+ is getting too difficult. If I managed, this would be the lowest level I've ever beaten NG+

oracrest

Big Icarus said:
How did you not notice that it left a item after you killed it? Weren't you standing next to it when it dropped the colorless demon's soul?

There is a chance that it doesn't drop one. Luckily, it doesn't save when you kill it, so you can reload, and try again.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
oracrest said:
There is a chance that it doesn't drop one. Luckily, it doesn't save when you kill it, so you can reload, and try again.

unless you're an asshole like me and you go up the lift and kill the fire clown guy before reloading...

Melfice7

oracrest said:
I thought I had figured out a great trick to get tons of colorless demon's souls from Sparky the Crow, since he will give you one for a talisman of god.

I loaded up on them when I was in 5-2 from the merchant, and headed to 4-1. Dropped the talisman under his tree, and reloaded. Colorless Demon's Soul! Damn, this is going to be easy! I drop another talisman. "Sqwauk! I already have that!"

Fuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!

Demon's Souls doesn't give a fuck about me :/

you can give her another item for colorless soul :D

Canova

Banned
I took a cool picture from my game

62f05432.jpg

edbrat

finally some time to get back into this, defeated the boss at the end of 1-1 last time, went back into 1-1 this time to try and get some more souls, the dude with glowing eyes gave me a few hundred but progress is slow, am I doing it wrong?

also all the worlds are available to me except world 4 in the nexus which isn't lit up, have I missed something?

I'm a bit overwhelmed by what to do next, have started with a royal, now SL 13

VIT 9
INT 12
END 10
STR 10
DEX 12
MAG 20
FAI 13
LUC 7

focussing on magic but wondering whether to focus secondarily on melee or distanced weapons. I have a cross bow, not sure if its any good or not. So I have that in my left hand with a shield and a rapier and catalyst in my right. Presumably I want to get a decent shield (currently a buckler +1) for defence pretty swiftly and whatever I can to expand my magic repertoire and then concentrate on improving either a melee or ranged weapon? Is my thought process making sense?

Where to go next, dunno if I can face constantly finding the glowing eyes guy for a few hundred souls ni 1-1. Can I murder the blue soldier sat down in the nexus without consequence and for a few souls? Shame the boss in 1-1 doesn't reappear for repeat performance. I went past where the boss area is and
there were some spear guys in the dark - then some dude I'd rescued earlier pipes up behind a gate and as I progressed on there was a message before a corridor warning of nasty shit ahead, so i pegged it back to the nexus, should i try going here next?
Good god this game is stressful, really want to tear back into it but am paralysed by fear and so many options damnit!

thundr51

Ok, what's the deal with PBWT? I've been waiting for an event like this to happen and my worlds aren't black. I tried logging in and out about 12 times (NO EXAGGERATION) and still nothing. I know there is supposed to be a primevil (sic) demon in 2-1 but he's not there...and no I didn't kill him already. Will the world not go completely black if I've beaten all the bosses for that world?

Canova

Banned
thundr51 said:
Ok, what's the deal with PBWT? I've been waiting for an event like this to happen and my worlds aren't black. I tried logging in and out about 12 times (NO EXAGGERATION) and still nothing. I know there is supposed to be a primevil (sic) demon in 2-1 but he's not there...and no I didn't kill him already. Will the world not go completely black if I've beaten all the bosses for that world?

are you in North American server?

Any word on a Halloween event where every world is PB?

Also the in-game screenshot feature the PS3 have would have been awsome in this game, same with the youtube upload feature.

Canova

Banned
edbrat said:
finally some time to get back into this, defeated the boss at the end of 1-1 last time, went back into 1-1 this time to try and get some more souls, the dude with glowing eyes gave me a few hundred but progress is slow, am I doing it wrong?

also all the worlds are available to me except world 4 in the nexus which isn't lit up, have I missed something?

I'm a bit overwhelmed by what to do next, have started with a royal, now SL 13

VIT 9
INT 12
END 10
STR 10
DEX 12
MAG 20
FAI 13
LUC 7

focussing on magic but wondering whether to focus secondarily on melee or distanced weapons. I have a cross bow, not sure if its any good or not. So I have that in my left hand with a shield and a rapier and catalyst in my right. Presumably I want to get a decent shield (currently a buckler +1) for defence pretty swiftly and whatever I can to expand my magic repertoire and then concentrate on improving either a melee or ranged weapon? Is my thought process making sense?

Where to go next, dunno if I can face constantly finding the glowing eyes guy for a few hundred souls ni 1-1. Can I murder the blue soldier sat down in the nexus without consequence and for a few souls? Shame the boss in 1-1 doesn't reappear for repeat performance. I went past where the boss area is and
there were some spear guys in the dark - then some dude I'd rescued earlier pipes up behind a gate and as I progressed on there was a message before a corridor warning of nasty shit ahead, so i pegged it back to the nexus, should i try going here next?
Good god this game is stressful, really want to tear back into it but am paralysed by fear and so many options damnit!

so let me get this straigth, according to you, your priority is
1. Defense --> upgrade vitality and endurance/stamina
2. Magic --> upgrade intelligence and magic
3. Melee --> upgrade STR (to at least 18) and DEX (to at least 13/14)
4. Range

NOTE: physical defense will be automatically upgraded no matter what stat you upgrade

You will find good shields eventually, don't invest too much on a buckler, just make it enough.

After 1-1, buy a short bow, upgrade it, then go finish 2-1.

In 2-1, the enemies are slow, though they have thick skinned and hit hard. They're vulnerable to magic, magic weapons (crescent weapons) and piercing attack.

In 4-1 there's a good starting weapon for mage, crescent falchion+1, though you'd have to face some tougher foes. If you're in soul form and has zero or little soul, then go on a suicide mission to find that weapon

I haven't had much time to play lately, due to school. Hopefully, my workload will be a bit lighter over the next few weeks. Still, I did get to do some playing when I was supposed to be studying.

I went through 2-1 without to much trouble. I fell back on the good old cheese tactics of using a bow on the boss. I fear I will be in deep trouble once I reach a boss who is not susceptible to such cheap gambits. Anyway, my seventy or so arrow were not enough, so I had to chip away the last third of his health using melee. I watched a youtube video of the battle afterwards, and it seems I got it slightly wrong. I didn't realize that you are supposed to run back out when he does his flame attack, so I think my purple flame shield and ring of flame resistance saved my skin there.

After that, I moved on to give 3-1 another shot. I had to stop playing once I got the Warden Key, but I think I have gotten the level down. I tackle the guards by stabbing them in the back and then don't letting them get up again. However, I am aware that that probably won't work if I ever have to fight more than one at a time.

I have to give credit to From Software for the atmosphere of that level. Even now, when I know how to fight the guards, their tingling sounds never cease to scare me. And I really love the fact that iron maidens serve as treasure chests. That's just so delightfully macabre. Although, I did get a bit of a scare when a guy jumped out and struck me with a poisoned knife. :lol I also found Sage Freke and Lord Rydell in their cells. Turns out it was Lord Rydell who could be heard shouting for help earlier. Sadly, a message from another player told me that it was related to a world tendency event, so he will probably be stuck in there indefinitely. (Unless Namco Bandai choose to do these free pure world tendency thingies in Europe.) Poor guy. :( Hopefully, I will be able to rescue Sage Freke, so I can get his douchey apprentice to shut up.

Finally, what is up with that singing voice? Does it belong to that merchant/royal wife? Or something a lot more scary? In any case, it really managed to freak me out.

Edit: Maybe it's time to start upgrading some weapons now? The smithy in 2-1 seems to be quite convenient, right next to the guy selling material. However, I am afraid I will find some better equipment later, making the investment useless. So far, my souls have been used to buy the Teleport miracle (and some random spells that I probably won't use much, except for the buffing spells).

edbrat

canova said:
so let me get this straigth, according to you, your priority is
1. Defense --> upgrade vitality and endurance/stamina
2. Magic --> upgrade intelligence and magic
3. Melee --> upgrade STR (to at least 18) and DEX (to at least 13/14)
4. Range

NOTE: physical defense will be automatically upgraded no matter what stat you upgrade

You will find good shields eventually, don't invest too much on a buckler, just make it enough.

After 1-1, buy a short bow, upgrade it, then go finish 2-1.

In 2-1, the enemies are slow, though they have thick skinned and hit hard. They're vulnerable to magic, magic weapons (crescent weapons) and piercing attack.

In 4-1 there's a good starting weapon for mage, crescent falchion+1, though you'd have to face some tougher foes. If you're in soul form and has zero or little soul, then go on a suicide mission to find that weapon

Thanks Canova, had a quick crack on 2-1 and have lost my paltry number of souls so I will keep plugging away on there and then suicide 4-1 to see if I can grab that CF+1.

Canova

Banned
hydrophilic attack said:
Sadly, a message from another player told me that it was related to a world tendency event, so he will probably be stuck in there indefinitely. (Unless Namco Bandai choose to do these free pure world tendency thingies in Europe.) Poor guy. :( Hopefully, I will be able to rescue Sage Freke, so I can get his douchey apprentice to shut up.

you can control world tendency

if you beat a boss and dont die in body form in that world, then that world becomes whiter.

Login to the Bamco server, beat a boss or two and avoid dying in a body form, then you should have a pure white world. Then you can find a key in 2-2 to free Rydell

So, I finally started playing this again. I hadn't gotten too far before with my Temple Knight so I thought I may as well start again with Royalty. I've beaten 1-1 and I'm not really sure what are the best stats to invest in. Also is there any particular equipment I should get (shields, bows etc.)? I think I'm going to do 1-2 or 2-1 next but I was wondering if I should just ignore the optional bosses like Doran or Miralda for now?

canova said:
you can control world tendency

if you beat a boss and dont die in body form in that world, then that world becomes whiter.

Login to the Bamco server, beat a boss or two and avoid dying in a body form, then you should have a pure white world. Then you can find a key in 2-2 to free Rydell

Well, about that... :lol

edit: I just killed a guy blathering about being "just a humble servant". Messages from ohter players said "attack" and that he was a bad guy. I wonder if I was supposed to do this?

Zzoram

hydrophilic attack said:
Well, about that... :lol

edit: I just killed a guy blathering about being "just a humble servant". Messages from ohter players said "attack" and that he was a bad guy. I wonder if I was supposed to do this?

If his name was Yurt and you found him in a world 3 prison, yes he's a bad guy. If you free him he goes to Nexus. He kills all the NPCs in Nexus one at a time if you don't stop him.

Zzoram said:
If his name was Yurt and you found him in a world 3 prison, yes he's a bad guy. If you free him he goes to Nexus. He kills all the NPCs in Nexus one at a time if you don't stop him.

Ouch. He didn't say his name though. And he was not locked up. He was by the "special key" in 3-1.

_Xenon_

Banned
Is there anyway to get rid off player invasion other than killing him / being killed? Some high level asshole just broke into my game, wacked all my armors & weapons (had to pay 3600 x 4 to fix my armors) and killed my body form. This is ridiculous.

Canova

Banned
_Xenon_ said:
Is there anyway to get rid off player invasion other than killing him / being killed? Some high level asshole just broke into my game, wacked all my armors & weapons (had to pay 3600 x 4 to fix my armors) and killed my body form. This is ridiculous.

1. Invaders level will always be lower than yours

2. Next time if you see invader with a scrapping spear, disconnect immediately. Scrapping spear is the foulest invading weapon, should never be used. It breaks all opponent equipments. Veterans hate that weapon with a passion. Only some noobs with no pvp etiquette ever use that weapon

Canova

Banned
MidnightRider said:
I need help with the boss on 1-1. The big thing with shields. I've been stuck with him for a while.

What's the best way to attack him?

use all your firebombs

then apply turpentines on your weapon

archnemesis said:
In the cathedral in the Tower of Latria level (3-1)? Yeah, it's a good idea to kill that dude.

Yeah, that was the guy. So I just defeated Fool's Idol. (Go me!) According to the messages in there, it seems that maybe that guy would have revived the boss if I had let him live or something? That would have been a pain in the arse; the battle was confusing enough as is.

In other news, I just released Sage Freke. I learned Fire Spray and Warding from him. Although I had to level my intelligence a bit to even be able to use it (Warding). I hope it will be worth it!

Oh, and the first thing I did with him in the Nexus was dropping down on him from the stairs, making him mad with me. :lol He seems to have gotten over it though.

Zzoram

hydrophilic attack said:
Yeah, that was the guy. So I just defeated Fool's Idol. (Go me!) According to the messages in there, it seems that maybe that guy would have revived the boss if I had let him live or something? That would have been a pain in the arse; the battle was confusing enough as is.

In other news, I just released Sage Freke. I learned Fire Spray and Warding from him. Although I had to level my intelligence a bit to even be able to use it (Warding). I hope it will be worth it!

Oh, and the first thing I did with him in the Nexus was dropping down on him from the stairs, making him mad with me. :lol He seems to have gotten over it though.

Be careful. 2 or 3 hits and he's permanently aggro with you.

Alastor

hydrophilic attack said:

Warding is awesome, my mage has one of the worst armors in the game so this is really helpful in almost all situations invonving foes that attack you phisically.

Fire spray is OK I guess, but don't forget to learn fireball / firestorm when you beat dragon god ;p

_Xenon_

Banned
canova said:
1. Invaders level will always be lower than yours
WOW never knew that. I checked that dude's trophy list and found that he has beat the game and killed Old King Doran. I'm level 37 now but only killed 4 demons (5 if the red dragon counts).

MYE

Ik9gU.jpg
ZzCye.jpg

Name: Samanen

Class: Knight

Soul Level: 41

Equiped with:
Heater Shield +4
Kilij Sword +5

Wooden Catalyst
Compound Short Bow

Flame Toss
Soul Arrow
Heal

Brushwood Helmet
Brushwood Armor
Fluted Gauntlets
Fluted Leggings

Thief's Ring
Ring of Herculean Strength

Stats
VIT:15
INT:15
END:17
STR:15
DEX:16
MAG:16
FAI:11
LUC:16
======================

Played my first game with a Blue Phantom.
God bless whoever that was :lol

The Spider Demon on Stonefang went down like a little bitch.

Canova

Banned
_Xenon_ said:
WOW never knew that. I checked that dude's trophy list and found that he has beat the game and killed Old King Doran. I'm level 37 now but only killed 4 demons (5 if the red dragon counts).

He's beaten the game. Then started a new character and parked him at low level to invade and terrorize new players.

I really love invading people's games just to screw around. I helped one guy kill some enemies. Another time we just rolled around for a while and he caught me off guard and killed me. Good times.

Since I got the ring of poison resistance, I've wanted to do 5-2 to get it over with. But I've never made any progress. I was always killed by that black phantom. Today, I didn't make any progress on him (I hate fighting strong enemies where I can hardly move :(), but I decided to try and sneak past him this time, as well as all the giants. And what do you know. It actually worked. And I could finally unlock the short cut that leads pretty much straight to the boss. I did try to make a run on the boss as well, but decided it was futile. I need to be higher leveled before I'll be any match for him. Still, it feels good to know that next time I want to try the level, I won't have to trudge through the swamp again. I won't miss you at all, damnable swamp!

Now I will try my first invasion. I look forward to getting totally slaughtered. :)

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
hydrophilic attack said:
Now I will try my first invasion. I look forward to getting totally slaughtered. :)

If you're low level, chances are your opponent's gonna be scared shitless of you. Keep your cool and you'll probably be alright. Invasion is all a matter of preparation though, so make sure you've got the appropriate items with you before you invade.

Top Bottom