• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

oracrest

New Page, new arts!

m76fd0.jpg

Maddog

AstroLad said:
Oh yeah ok no haven't run across that yet. Think I have to get past the bridge first.

Yup. Basically when you go to transport to a world from the Nexus it will show you the (unlocked) sub worlds in a list and allow you to pick which one you want to travel to. This is an easy way to tell if you are in 1-1, 1-2 etc

Canova

Banned
MidnightRider said:
Fuck I can't wait to get off work so I can start my adventure.

Usually I suggest beginners to play online, but with pure black world event going on right now, I don't know. Think hard about this, if you're up for the challenge, go ahead login to the server, your worlds are going to be black, and the enemies are really nasty.

if you don't think you're up for the challenge, then stay offline for now, till the server worlds are back to normal

My Lvl 9 character in NG+ is literally stuck right now in pure black worlds, I can't beat any single level. My character and all blue phantoms i summoned died in a single hit

canova said:
Usually I suggest beginners to play online, but with pure black world event going on right now, I don't know. Think hard about this, if you're up for the challenge, go ahead login to the server, your worlds are going to be black, and the enemies are really nasty.

if you don't think you're up for the challenge, then stay offline for now, till the server worlds are back to normal

My Lvl 9 character in NG+ is literally stuck right now in pure black worlds, I can't beat any single level. My character and all blue phantoms i summoned died in a single hit
Well the blue phantoms can't be that much higher level than you. NG+. That's like a death sentence at such a low level. I feel sorry for the blues lol.

Canova

Banned
zerokoolpsx said:
Well the blue phantoms can't be that much higher level than you. NG+. That's like a death sentence at such a low level. I feel sorry for the blues lol.

yeah I feel sorry for the blues too

I finally beaten world 4-2 and 4-3. Just ran past those BP skeletons.

To MidnightRider, I say fuck it, just login to the server, you have to experience the world of Demon's Souls. I can never get enough seeing those white ghosts running around and with you

bdouble

There is a bridge/red dragon section in 1-1. Its right before getting the large gate open and seeing your first slime in the right tower.

Minamu

Hawkian said:
...:O ???

I beat the game online. I have the trophies for every Demon. What the hell?

edit: Oh and I got engaged, so yeah not having been online or posting on gaf much in the last 3 months is entirely realistic :p
Congrats! :D Acceptable reason :D On the other hand, I moved to another city 2 months back (for studies, woo) and I'm still on GAF every day ;)

Foxix Von

Ugh the comic thread got me to pop this in again. I keep finding stuff I missed :lol

God this game is fantastic. Hard to believe it's been out as long as it has been and I've still progressed so little.

Canova

Banned
I just had an epic battle with Tower Knight in NG+, lvl 9.

Summoned 2 blues, 1 of them died 5 seconds into the battle. The other blue, seeing our partner died, cowered in the corner shooting arrows :lol . I had to finish off all the archers, then took care the Tower Knight. It was a long 7-8 minutes battle.

hundreds of hours on this game, I still find satisfaction from its epic battles.

So I'm still not at PBWT yet. I logged off and on. Quit game, log on, checked if Satsuki is there. Nope, then logged off. I kept logging off and on. Still not PBWT. I even died in body form, but no BP Miralda.

LiK

zerokoolpsx said:
So I'm still not at PBWT yet. I logged off and on. Quit game, log on, checked if Satsuki is there. Nope, then logged off. I kept logging off and on. Still not PBWT. I even died in body form, but no BP Miralda.
If you're having trouble, do it offline.

Canova

Banned
zerokoolpsx said:

I have to do it several times, logging on and off like 5-6 times.

Zzoram

zerokoolpsx said:

Try going back and forth between Nexus and 1-1 too.

Canova

Banned
oracrest said:
I can't wait to clear NG+ so I can start it all over again, again!

are you still working on your trophies? yeah get them done and over with, then you can start all over with specific build

oracrest

canova said:
are you still working on your trophies? yeah get them done and over with, then you can start all over with specific build

I am getting more trophies, but I am not trying to get them. I am more interested in exploring all the content there is. First playthrough was to get through the meat, and now it has been fun going back and making stuff with boss souls, and doing all the world/character tendency stuff, and diving into the wiki for the first time.

On top of all that, I still have barely scratched the magic system. I don't like the feeling of a knight casting spells, so I have avoided it on purpose. I want to try and do a specific type of magic-user, and just make a whole new character from the ground up.

Shinjitsu

Banned
oracrest said:
I am getting more trophies, but I am not trying to get them. I am more interested in exploring all the content there is. First playthrough was to get through the meat, and now it has been fun going back and making stuff with boss souls, and doing all the world/character tendency stuff, and diving into the wiki for the first time.

On top of all that, I still have barely scratched the magic system. I don't like the feeling of a knight casting spells, so I have avoided it on purpose. I want to try and do a specific type of magic-user, and just make a whole new character from the ground up.

Pure mages are a blast, totally different game than playing as melee.

Zzoram

Shinjitsu said:
Pure mages are a blast, totally different game than playing as melee.

Are pure mages and pure melee both viable? How do you get enough mana to be pure mage? Also magic is hard or not possible to use at long range like a bow. Speaking of bows, is pure archer viable?

Zzoram said:
Are pure mages and pure melee both viable? How do you get enough mana to be pure mage? Also magic is hard or not possible to use at long range like a bow. Speaking of bows, is pure archer viable?
I made an almost broken archer with 99 dexterity and a Sticky Compound Long Bow +5. Most enemies and bosses are easy to kill with arrows, but you might need a sword to deal with black phantoms.

roxya

Zzoram said:

It can be viable, but to start with you'll need to farm souls to afford spices. Fragrant Ring doesn't really keep you going past Soul Arrow.

oracrest

Made a second character tonight, a weird Magician.

d29c5097.jpg

I hadn't played the intro level since popping it in way back in February. I forgot how beautiful it was. One of my favorite areas in the game for sure, all lush and overgrown..

3308ae50.jpg

0eea5022.jpg

I also made an observation that I didn't make at all until now. The 'Dragon Perch' is right above and looking over the 'Dragon run' of 1-2. :O

13042085.jpg

Okay so I picked up Demons Souls yesterday.

Just as I walk through the door with it after getting home from work my Great Dane jumps up happy to see me and kicks me in the balls. His paws are bigger than most human fists so needless to say it dropped me to my knees. Little did I know this was to be the highlight of my night.........

The game turns out to be much like my swift kick to the nuts. I started out all like "this is pretty damned easy" and "wow these guys die very quickly"..... Then I round a corner and what do you know. Some big bastard beats me to a pulp while I am hiding behind a pillar.

Then it was off to the dream world (I guess that's what it's called) yada yada yada.

For the next 2 1/2 hours I keep making it pretty far in the level only to die by some chump and go all the way back to the start.

I can't tell you how many times I died trying to make it over this one bridge with a dragon on it. I would make it all the way there and half to fight for my life to get my souls back only to get killed a few steps closer back to where I was coming from.

Needless to say after 2 1/2 hours of getting my ass kicked I decided to return to the nexus and quit the game. As I did so.

Now I am at work wondering whats on the other side of that dragon bridge or even if I am supposed to be going there. There is also another bridge I found with some big red bad dude standing on the other end of it who everytime I kill him he returns to be there again.

No clue where to go in this game....... but yet for some strange reason..... I LOVE IT!

canova said:
yeah I feel sorry for the blues too

I finally beaten world 4-2 and 4-3. Just ran past those BP skeletons.

To MidnightRider, I say fuck it, just login to the server, you have to experience the world of Demon's Souls. I can never get enough seeing those white ghosts running around and with you

I was just about to ask what is up with that? In fact one showed me a pretty cool area by where the dragons sit.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MidnightRider said:
No clue where to go in this game....... but yet for some strange reason..... I LOVE IT!
:lol yup sounds pretty much exactly like my experience that past few days. Looking forward to digging in some more and I'm glad I plucked it from my backlog. To me it almost has a super-mysterious-and-creepy Silent Hill 2 feel to it, except with good gameplay. I almost wish there was no story at all, but they do a good job at keeping it to a minimum.

Also. Quick question.

On Co-op play. If I find someone to help me through.... do they join into "my" campaign and play with me on it? Or is it a whole seperate campaign for co-op?

Do they get "souls" and what not for their character as well while playing with me?

I think I really need to jump into the wiki and found out exactly what I am supposed to be doing with all these souls I have collected.

MidnightRider said:
I was just about to ask what is up with that? In fact one showed me a pretty cool area by where the dragons sit.
White phantoms are usually other players. If you try to touch one of the bloodstains you'll see a short animation of a red phantom showing how that player died. You can also summon help from blue phantoms by activating blue glyphs found on the ground. If you see a black phantom, run!
MidnightRider said:
On Co-op play. If I find someone to help me through.... do they join into "my" campaign and play with me on it? Or is it a whole seperate campaign for co-op?

Do they get "souls" and what not for their character as well while playing with me?
Blue phantoms are summoned to your world and they're supposed to help you beat the current level. If you beat a boss together they'll be rewarded by being revived and they'll also gain some souls.

AstroLad said:
:lol yup sounds pretty much exactly like my experience that past few days. Looking forward to digging in some more and I'm glad I plucked it from my backlog. To me it almost has a super-mysterious-and-creepy Silent Hill 2 feel to it, except with good gameplay. I almost wish there was no story at all, but they do a good job at keeping it to a minimum.

Did you ever kill that red dude? Did he respawn for you too?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MidnightRider said:
Did you ever kill that red dude? Did he respawn for you too?
Ohhhh no. I went to him once and that was enough. Thankful I was able to retrieve my souls and tiptoe out of there the next time. I'm just a bit past past the area you describe at the moment.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Wait can you actually play this game with friends? :lol

i dont even...

I have a bunch of armor I could give to someone with a male character.

AstroLad said:
Ohhhh no. I went to him once and that was enough. Thankful I was able to retrieve my souls and tiptoe out of there the next time. I'm just a bit past past the area you describe at the moment.

You past the "fire bridge" ?????

What is up with all these messages about "I'm in trouble. recommend this message" ???????

archnemesis said:
If you recommend a message the one who left the message will get some (full?) life. They're basically asking for some help.

Oh really?

Well damnit. I really need to start leaving those messages then.

Canova

Banned
MidnightRider said:
Okay so I picked up Demons Souls yesterday.

Just as I walk through the door with it after getting home from work my Great Dane jumps up happy to see me and kicks me in the balls. His paws are bigger than most human fists so needless to say it dropped me to my knees. Little did I know this was to be the highlight of my night.........

The game turns out to be much like my swift kick to the nuts. I started out all like "this is pretty damned easy" and "wow these guys die very quickly"..... Then I round a corner and what do you know. Some big bastard beats me to a pulp while I am hiding behind a pillar.

Then it was off to the dream world (I guess that's what it's called) yada yada yada.

For the next 2 1/2 hours I keep making it pretty far in the level only to die by some chump and go all the way back to the start.

I can't tell you how many times I died trying to make it over this one bridge with a dragon on it. I would make it all the way there and half to fight for my life to get my souls back only to get killed a few steps closer back to where I was coming from.

Needless to say after 2 1/2 hours of getting my ass kicked I decided to return to the nexus and quit the game. As I did so.

Now I am at work wondering whats on the other side of that dragon bridge or even if I am supposed to be going there. There is also another bridge I found with some big red bad dude standing on the other end of it who everytime I kill him he returns to be there again.

Have you got thief ring and cling ring? those 2 are the 2 most crucial rings in the entire game. Near the cling ring, open a small gate which is some sort of shortcut

come back to this thread often when you need help.

Also bookmark Demon's Souls wiki

http://demonssouls.wikidot.com/

Don't treat it as a bible, use it as light reference for now, (you don't want to spoil the game too much by reading)

MidnightRider said:

You should reserve that impression for now. I've seen a few new players excited about the game the first 5-6 hours only to fizzle out when the going gets tough

Canova

Banned
MidnightRider said:

white ghosts are real time image of other players that are playing the same time, same area as you.

I just love those white ghosts.

canova said:
white ghosts are real time image of other players that are playing the same time, same area as you.

I just love those white ghosts.

Oh thats awesome! I was hoping they were real time players.

also I don't see how this game can get old to me. I believe I will be playing this one for as long as my PS3 will let me.

Skilletor

I'm still loving it. About 10 hours in, soul level 23. I've been grinding on the spear wielding knight in Boletaria Castle. First time I beat him was soooooooooooo satisfying.

I'm still confused at the progression of this game. I haven't played in a few days, so I don't know how all of this Pure Black stuff will affect me. But, yeah, game is awesome.

Somebody post pics of the dopest mage gear. I want something to shoot for. :)

I'm doing the Knight off the get go.

Figured my first 2 playthroughs I will need armor. Turns out I sure as shit do as when I took off all my armor to run fast (dragon part) those arrows killed me with the quickness.

Canova

Banned
MidnightRider said:

Figured my first 2 playthroughs I will need armor. Turns out I sure as shit do as when I took off all my armor to run fast (dragon part) those arrows killed me with the quickness.

eventually you will be able to run with armors, once you upgrade your character(stamina/endurance)

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
To move at highest speed your equipped items must weigh less than half of your max. item burden.

So for example... if max is 80.5 as long as your equipped stuff is less than 40.25 you will move at full speed no matter what it is.

Equipment burden is different than item burden, btw. I get them confused all the time... probably did in this post. :lol

Thanks for all these tips! :D

I pretty much need to stay away from the wiki for now huh? I haven't dont much reading on there other than the getting started section

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
MidnightRider said:

I made it through that part as a non-upgraded knight. Made sure to pluck off all but like two of the guys before making the actual run though.

AstroLad said:
I made it through that part as a non-upgraded knight. Made sure to pluck off all but like two of the guys before making the actual run though.

I've tried to do that a few times..... seems like 4 of them stay at the other end no matter what and I don't have a bow to shoot at them long range.

QUESTION
Would it be worth it to use my 13,000 souls before I attempt this crossing of the bridge. I feel like I am going to lose them all from multiple attempts and dieing. Is there any weapons worth owning @ the blacksmith in the Nexus this early?

No, not really. Save your souls for later. There is a crossbow hidden somewhere in the first level which might be useful for taking out the last four guys.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Skilletor said:
Somebody post pics of the dopest mage gear. I want something to shoot for. :)

It's not quite like that, at least in terms of armor. I don't know what the mage starts with but it may well be adequate for the entire game. If you want something to shoot for in terms of becoming a badass mage, you'll probably want to look up videos of one all kitted out and able to do totally awesome shit like casting Firestorm more than once before needing more mana.

oracrest

MidnightRider said:
QUESTION
Would it be worth it to use my 13,000 souls before I attempt this crossing of the bridge. I feel like I am going to lose them all from multiple attempts and dieing. Is there any weapons worth owning @ the blacksmith in the Nexus this early?

If you can expend your souls somehow before delving into the unknown, go for it. Always keep in mind that if you REALLY want to focus on leveling up, it's pretty fast and easy to get souls back, don't fret that much about losing them, especially in the beginning.

archnemesis said:
No, not really. Save your souls for later. There is a crossbow hidden somewhere in the first level which might be useful for taking out the last four guys.

Damnit. Now I got to find that area where it said there is a weapon past here again. I knew I should have went that way.

Top Bottom