• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demon's Souls |OT2| Soulsuckingly brilliant RPG full of Demon's Crack

_Xenon_ said:
I picked it up dirt cheap 5 months ago, beat the first level but paused for quite a while. Restarted the game just now and died like 5 times before the second boss (2 black knights + 3 archers). Finally got to the final boss but died again :( Now I just hope I spent the money on some popcorn movie rather than this.
It's PBWT that's why you're seeing the black phantom knights. All BP's do more damage and take more damage. You can always drop a blue soul sign for co-op for help. Wait til you get to 5-2. You'll just LOVE IT!! :D
Do you have a thief's ring?

Rabbitwork said:
4-1.

obtain crescent falchion.

destroy game.

Basically the path I'm taking. :lol

I popped this in last night after not playing since last December, and picked up right where I left off after defeating the Flamelurker, and went and killed the Dragon God. I wasn't expecting to finish a level, much less slay an archdemon, within an hour of picking the game up after a 10 month hiatus. :D

I kind of lost where I was, though. I'm now Soul Level 46, and have my Crescent Falchion +5 maybe, Uchigatana +5, Purple Flame Shield +4, and I all leather armor. I've finished 1-1, 1-2, 1-3, all of world 2, and 4-1. Where should I go next?

Zzoram

_Xenon_ said:
So if you die in a boss battle you have to start ALL the way back from the beginning of this level? Man this game has issues ... is there an easy mode or something? I don't feel like to repeat the same shit again and again.
Before getting to a boss you can usually unlock one or two shortcuts, in the form of unlocking a gate from the other side or lowering a bridge, etc. This makes it faster to get back to the boss after you die learning his attack patterns.

_Xenon_ said:
So if you die in a boss battle you have to start ALL the way back from the beginning of this level? Man this game has issues ... is there an easy mode or something? I don't feel like to repeat the same shit again and again.

You're in for some hard times, friend. This game is unrelenting. But in a good way.

Zzoram

_Xenon_ said:
The big ass knight with a shield (should be the 2nd one?). Actually he's not the real issue but the dudes before him are really pain in the ass. I can't image how to deal with the rest of the game if none of the levels has a check point or such.
Did you not play videogames before polygonal 3D? There used to be no save files and you would only beat a game by getting really good at the game through repetition.

In his game it usually takes a few runs to learn the layout of a level and the types of monsters. You eventually get so good at navigating and combat that you'll breeze through many levels and feel like fucking superman. It's incredibly satisfying.

Oh and this is a tough time to start playing. There is a special Halloween event going on that makes the world shift to pure black tendency. This means all the monsters are stronger and extra black phantom appear where there normally aren't monsters. Around Christmas they do a pure white world tendency went that makes the game easier.

_Xenon_

Banned
zerokoolpsx said:
It's PBWT that's why you're seeing the black phantom knights. All BP's do more damage and take more damage. You can always drop a blue soul sign for co-op for help. Wait til you get to 5-2. You'll just LOVE IT!! :D
Do you have a thief's ring?
Yes I have it. I finally passed that part by shooting the 3 archers and killing the knights one by one. Then died almost instantly in the boss battle by falling off the wall while killing archers.

Is there anyway to sell your stuff? Now I'm totally out of souls and I need arrows :(

Zzoram

_Xenon_ said:
Yes I have it. I finally passed that part by shooting the 3 archers and killing the knights one by one. Then died almost instantly in the boss battle by falling off the wall while killing archers.

Is there anyway to sell your stuff? Now I'm totally out of souls and I need arrows :(
No way to sell. Just farm easy levels for money. 4-1 is excellent for farming once you learn how to not instantly die to those rolling skeletons. You need a shield and decent stamina to not be stun locked from the first hit. I just farmed the first skeleton (4000 souls) then immediately went to town and came back to respawn him. As soon as I could afford what I wanted I would spend it in case I got sloppy an died to the skeleton.

Mooreberg

There was a PWWT even not too long after I bought the game in July, and now I'm pretty well situated for this Black event since I got ten hours into NG+ about a month ago. May have been more beneficial the other way around but fun stuff either way. 5-2 still sucks though. :lol

oracrest

_Xenon_ said:
I picked it up dirt cheap 5 months ago, beat the first level but paused for quite a while. Restarted the game just now and died like 5 times before the second boss (2 black knights + 3 archers). Finally got to the final boss but died again :( Now I just hope I spent the money on some popcorn movie rather than this.

Honestly I found that second boss to be rather tough. He took me many many tries before I took him down. But, oh feels so good.

Or maybe it's just not your kind of game...

patsu

_Xenon_ said:

"Human, finish what you started."

This is like the real world version of Spirited Away.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
Zzoram said:
Wow I doubt I'll ever beat Vanguard in the tutorial.
Vanguard has a huge weakness, his axe swing is very inaccurate at point blank range. Once you roll away and dodge his opening strike you can hug up close to him and slash away. Occasionally he'll float up and slam the ground or slash at a single area but he telegraphs these early.

My first attempts always failed because I roll into his first swing :lol I won't spoil how the hero ultimately meets his/her own fate if you beat him though.

Squint of Something Awful demonstrates it here at just after 6:50. His whole playthrough is well worth a watch!

After invading and killing the host. All I get now is invading, invading, invading, invasion has failed. Then the "Failed to join the session." message x30 and counting. =/ Come on people, soul form or offline please.

Zzoram

zerokoolpsx said:
After invading and killing the host. All I get now is invading, invading, invading, invasion has failed. Then the "Failed to join the session." message x30 and counting. =/ Come on people, soul form or offline please.
What causes that error?

Zzoram

zerokoolpsx said:
They press the PS button and quit out before I can invade. =/ I used to do it all the time :lol :lol
Haha Weaklings. The adrenaline rush and fear of being hunted is part of why the game is awesome.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I'm having a good time as the Knight, despite all the recommendations for lighter armour. Especially enjoy not having to buy new gear, meeting that certain someone in the Tower of Latria will get me a good upgrade that doesn't weigh over 30 points.

What kind of starting roles did the rest of you pick?

Ed: And I just realised, with pure black WT for Halloween now is a good time to go after the Talisman of Beasts. Anyone know if Namco is doing the event for Europe?

jimmyhowlett

Neo Member
Is this happening to anyone else? None of the named BPs are appearing, like BP Miralda, BP Scirvir, and so forth. At first I just thought I didn't have PBWT, but the generic Black Phantoms that show up during PBWT are still spawning, so that's not it. Can someone help me out with this?

Canova

Banned
jimmyhowlett said:
Is this happening to anyone else? None of the named BPs are appearing, like BP Miralda, BP Scirvir, and so forth. At first I just thought I didn't have PBWT, but the generic Black Phantoms that show up during PBWT are still spawning, so that's not it. Can someone help me out with this?

it doesnt take pure black world for the generic black phantoms to show up.

Named BP on the other hand, has to be pure black world

Zzoram

jimmyhowlett said:

Keep loading your save then exiting. After a few connections to the world server, you'll shift more black. You're probably not fully black. When they do a Pure World Tendency event, it often takes multiple connections to the server to fully shift your world.

jimmyhowlett

Neo Member
canova said:
it doesnt take pure black world for the generic black phantoms to show up.

Named BP on the other hand, has to be pure black world

Oooooh I see. Then maybe I don't have PBWT after all. So much for all around PBWT like Atlus claimed.

Mooreberg

Running into weird stuff. No PBWT events are happening for me. The gate to the left on 1-1 isn't opening like it did during PWWT. Got killed right as I was picking up the loot from a crystal lizard in the Dragon God area. The blood stain was moved to outside of the fog gate, only when it told me I got my souls back it gave me zero of the 20,000+ I had with me. Does something go really weird with this game if you die while it is autosaving? Had some problems with 5-2 on my first run through where it would autosave while a Black Phantom was in mid swing :lol but never got flat out robbed of my souls before. Is there a way to turn off autosaving for item pick ups? It's a lot easier to just do it "manually" by bringing up the inventory screen so you don't get screwed by awkward save spots.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can't believe we didn't just let the old thread keep growing until it collapses in on itself.

I love this game so goddamn much. Going from frustrated newbie to superhero in NG was one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had, and I've only done 2 levels of NG+ and I'm feeling the itch again... sadly I have so much less time to play these days. Anyway I can at least offer tips to anybody who might be starting out.

Mooreberg said:
s there a way to turn off autosaving for item pick ups?

No, to do that would be to enable duping and break the game (colorless demon's souls...)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
By way of encouraging others to take some pics of their heroes, dug this up from the other thread:
2zpp6iu.png

Backstab, parry, riposte....

bdouble

Damm really getting sucked into this. The only other game that has felt like this where it just "clicks" for me was Ninja Gaiden. Its just so damn rewarding when you encounter a new enemy for the first time and die. Then after a short few attempts you are just unleashing sword skill like no other on them.

Killed Adjucator and now going to pwn some more of those octo heads. Love my build right now too. Working on getting Uchi. For now though a combo of Crescent Falchion and Dragon Sword are working well. Then of course the devastating Sticky Long bow +7.

The PWWT were fun can't wait for PB.

Minamu

Hawkian said:
Can't believe we didn't just let the old thread keep growing until it collapses in on itself.

I love this game so goddamn much. Going from frustrated newbie to superhero in NG was one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've had, and I've only done 2 levels of NG+ and I'm feeling the itch again... sadly I have so much less time to play these days. Anyway I can at least offer tips to anybody who might be starting out.

No, to do that would be to enable duping and break the game (colorless demon's souls...)
Been playing offline? You haven't beaten the game according to the trophies. Then again, you haven't logged on in the last 3 months according to my list :S Haven't seen you on gaf either :S

Canova

Banned
NG+, PBWT is really torture, I can't make any progress. I've been playing 2 hours today, can't beat one goddamn level :(

canova said:
NG+, PBWT is really torture, I can't make any progress. I've been playing 2 hours today, can't beat one goddamn level :(
No kidding man. Im in ng++, just took on Miranda. She is absolutely destroying me. Pure black is tougher then I expected.

Ristlager

Just started my NG+, got a couple of questions:

1. Do the enemies drop better loot?
2. Do I find new armor, or am I stuck with the best one I used to finish the game?
3. Is there any reason to play new game+, exepct the harder difficulty, instead of starting all over? (So far the enemies don't drop better loot, xp or weapons)

There are no new items in NG+ (
except for the Soulsucker spell or the Redeye stone from the good/bad endings
). If you want all trophies you need to either play through the game with the same character multiple times or do some trading for items online.

Canova

Banned
Ristlager said:
Just started my NG+, got a couple of questions:

1. Do the enemies drop better loot?
2. Do I find new armor, or am I stuck with the best one I used to finish the game?
3. Is there any reason to play new game+, exepct the harder difficulty, instead of starting all over? (So far the enemies don't drop better loot, xp or weapons)

reasons to play ng+
- challenge, it's much harder
- trophies, some unique weapons or spells share the same demons souls

Camwi

I have a request to make. Can someone borrow me a +5 Bladestone weapon?

I feel like I'm basically done with the game. I'm currently on NG+++, I've got the boss strategies down so that I can crush everyone easily, I've got my favorite equipment maxed out, etc etc.

The only trophy I have left is the Bladestone trophy. I've spent the past 30 hours grinding the DSBP skeleton in 4-2 and I haven't found a Pure Bladestone. I don't feel like it's been a waste of time since I find the game so much fun to play, plus I've gotten enough souls to be at SL 219, but I feel like it's time for me to put this game to rest and play something else in my backlog.

So yeah, anyone wanna help a guy out with this?

Zzoram

IIRC making Miranda fall into the pit is bad because there is no way out so you can't get her loot. What is the best way to beat her and get the loot?

Also, how are you guys lending each other items for trophies? I thought there was no friends list invite.

Camwi

Zzoram said:
Also, how are you guys lending each other items for trophies? I thought there was no friends list invite.

I haven't done it before, but from what I've gathered you just agree to meet up in a certain spot in the game and summon your friend as soon as they drop their sign (so they don't get snatched up by someone else).

SolidC213

yellowjacket25 said:
No kidding man. Im in ng++, just took on Miranda. She is absolutely destroying me. Pure black is tougher then I expected.

Yeah I usually just run through all the extra black phantoms I see because they terrify me :lol.
Anyone know when the hell PrimeEvil demons show up? I know its PBWT right now but all my archstones are kinda dark but not black. As I beat them they keep getting brighter too (I thought PBWT would not let that happen?) Do they have to be pitch black? Im trying to get Mephistopheles to show up too with no luck :mad:

Canova

Banned
Zzoram said:
IIRC making Miranda fall into the pit is bad because there is no way out so you can't get her loot. What is the best way to beat her and get the loot?

you still can get her loot, if she falls, just reload your character on the spot, and you'll find her items where she falls.

though your character won't become whiter if you kill her that way

oracrest

SolidC213 said:
Yeah I usually just run through all the extra black phantoms I see because they terrify me :lol.
Anyone know when the hell PrimeEvil demons show up? I know its PBWT right now but all my archstones are kinda dark but not black. As I beat them they keep getting brighter too (I thought PBWT would not let that happen?) Do they have to be pitch black? Im trying to get Mephistopheles to show up too with no luck :mad:

To get Mephistopheles to show up, you need pure black character tendency, and to have freed and killed Yurt I believe. You will have to kill some NPC's probably to get full black character tendency.

The easiest Primevil Demon to see is in 2-1, Look from the beginning ledge all the way over to the elevator way on the other side of the bridge where.

Canova

Banned
SolidC213 said:

Mephisto doesn't have anything to do with PBWT.

For Mephisto to show up in the Nexus
- You must kill Yurt in 3-2
- You must have pure black character tendency

Edit: beaten

SolidC213

oracrest said:
To get Mephistopheles to show up, you need pure black character tendency, and to have freed and killed Yurt I believe. You will have to kill some NPC's probably to get full black character tendency.

The easiest Primevil Demon to see is in 2-1, Look from the beginning ledge all the way over to the elevator way on the other side of the bridge where.

Gotcha! Thank you

Both of you :)

Zzoram

canova said:
you still can get her loot, if she falls, just reload your character on the spot, and you'll find her items where she falls.

though your character won't become whiter if you kill her that way
How do you kill her normally? She 2-shot killed my level 40ish character.

Shinjitsu

Banned
jimmyhowlett said:
Oooooh I see. Then maybe I don't have PBWT after all. So much for all around PBWT like Atlus claimed.

you might need to log in and out of the servers a few times for it to go totally to PBWT.

Top Bottom