• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Review Thread

PC Metacritic: 84, PS4 Metacritic: 80
OpenCritic: 80

IGN: 88

Game Informer: 85

PC Gamer: 89

Guardian: 80

Videogamer: 80

Destructoid: 75

USgamer:80

TheSixthAxis- 5/10

Worldbuilding, lore and a nunber of characters are good. Let down by a ton of technical issues on PS4 which really hurt enjoyment of the game. If the pervasive bugs weren't there it would have been a 7 or 8.

Rock Paper Shotgun

WCFTech: 90

Gamekult : 6/10 " honest "

Pros
Such a good writting
The Ninth world and its mysterious aura
Quests, stories and the NPCs of the first hub
Story and its thematics
Discovering the Numenéras
Solid art direction
Enough to really enjoy role play
Very good french voice over
Mark Morgan doing ambiant sounds

Cons
Bottleneck structure of content
Anecdotical combat
Skills system quickly unbalanced (broken)
Crisis and Flux are only gimmicks
Lack of polish and obvious visible shortcomings
Short for the genre
Some bugs

vandrewal

Neo Member
As much as I dared hope for, really. Many people seemed fairly negative about the beta, and I've purposefully avoided any more info about the game since then. Should be a nice, heavy respite from Nioh, Horizon, Nier, Zelda, Hollow Knight etc.

deleted

Looking good! How long is the game?

I don't see myself starting a new 50-80 RPG (still haven't finished PoE) anytime soon.
But 20? Maybe...

Will definitely come back to this once I'm done with the avalanche of amazing Q1/Q2 games. Reviews sound more favorable than I anticipated. I had the beta on my Steam acc for like half a year but couldn't really be bothered, and it seemed that despite the early access very few people actually provided impressions.
Looking good! How long is the game?

I don't see myself starting a new 50-80 RPG (still haven't finished PoE) anytime soon.
But 20? Maybe...

Planescape: Torment is like 20-30 depending on how many side-quests you did. Hopeful this is not longer than that.

TheSixthAxis- 5/10

Worldbuilding, lore and a nunber of characters are good. Let down by a ton of technical issues on PS4 which really hurt enjoyment of the game. If the pervasive bugs weren't there it would have been a 7 or 8.

Pros
Such a good writting
Story and its thematics
Solid art direction

Cons
Anecdotical combat
Short for the genre
Some bugs

Musiol

Here's review from my site:

PSSite.com - 7/10

It's PS4 version which we reviewed. Unfortunately, there's a lot of bugs and performance issues on console. Techland and inXile are aware of this and I hope they will fix this soon.

deleted

Planescape: Torment is like 20-30 depending on how many side-quests you did. Hopeful this is not longer than that.

20-30 hours looks to be about the average.

Took me 31 hours and that's without finishing all the sidequests.

Well, it took me 24 hours with most side quests done :)

Thanks, that looks just fine. I find good writing depending on a meaningful story to get watered down the longer the game continues.

20-30 hours might just mean I use my key and start the game instead of selling it.
Loved the story trailer, not the biggest fan of what I saw in the Beta. If the writing is really that good and the story satisfying, I might do this though.

Rhiwion

Banned
There's a Day 1 patch for PS4 (PC as well, I'm assuming), right? Seems to be a pretty massive patch. If that fixes what dragged down the console version reviews, I'm probably game. ~30ish hours sounds like a nice change of pace for CRPGs.

KainXVIII

Pros
Such a good writting
Story and its thematics
Solid art direction

Cons
Anecdotical combat
Short for the genre
Some bugs
Yeah, wait for sale.

KainXVIII

Those cons sound completely inconsequential for a game of this sort tbh. I feel like the pros outweigh the cons in that list by a landslide.

Maybe when decent sale starts devs will finally implement all cut content and fix all the bugs, so its worth to wait..

mclem

Eurogamer has it as 'Recommended':

Kickstarter-fuelled nostalgia or not, it takes more than a little self-confidence to name your game after one of the smartest, most beloved, most respected RPGs ever made. That's not a percussion heavy soundtrack you're hearing in Not Planescape Torment: Numenera, just the clanking of its giant brass balls. And yet somehow, against the odds, inXile does it proud. To be clear, Planescape remains by far the superior Torment, but Numenera is as close as anyone's gotten to not just recreating what it did, but the experience of discovering it.

Although there's some criticism for when battles do occur, particularly late in the game. (The spoiler section is a very vague comment about the finale, but I'm playing it safe)

The further into the game you get though, the less inspired these sequences become. By the end there are far too many characters taking forever to take their damn turns and the initial sequences' complicated, interwoven mechanics have been boiled down to stuff like 'kill everyone or hit that crystal three times. Yes, that one just sitting there in the open.' The final really big fight -
surviving until a certain event
- was so boring, I put on a movie. While there are options to avoid combat at times, having a non-combat build didn't help me avoid taking shots and knocks on the way to these non-violent solutions.

In conclusion, though:
Luckily for Numenera, the audience most likely to enjoy it is also the audience most likely to be tolerant of such mechanical things. The obvious comparison is with Pillars of Eternity, a game rooted in the RPG mechanics of Baldur's Gate et al, and the feel of the old Infinity Engine. Torment however, then and now, is a game built on story and narrative; of seeing promises of over 1.2 million words and going "Hurrah!" instead of emitting the kind of groan that normally involves a regrettable curry washed down with a whole cheesecake. If you're the kind to just click through the text, avoid. That's where most of the fun is.

So, my reading of it, in short: The combat isn't particularly engaging in the long term, but the game is heavily tilted towards story and non-combat RP - which, fundamentally, is just like Planescape: Torment.

Lime

Has anyone read the novellas? Are they any good if not recommended readings before jumping in?

EDIT: Oops, wrong thread

Stellar reviews. I do wonder why they would provide PS4 review codes when their console versions seems to be really unoptimized.

Anyway, cannot wait to play on PC later today.

Atolm

The bugs & performance were already horrible with the PS4 version of Wasteland 2. Abd I really mean it, with crashes to OS while saving every 15 minutes or so. That's why I'm gonna pass on this.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
The bugs & performance were already horrible with the PS4 version of Wasteland 2. Abd I really mean it, with crashes to OS while saving every 15 minutes or so. That's why I'm gonna pass on this.

Crickey. I think I had only one crash playing W2.

There's a ma-hoo-sive Day One patch for Torment. Shame they couldn't get it out in time for the reviews. Defo scuppering it.

epmode

inXile should probably cool it with their console ports until they figure out how to get performance up to par, whether it's a new engine or better code. As it is, console ports are just dragging down their scores.

I'm happy to hear that it's a good game even though it doesn't beat Planescape!

Our review on God is a Geek - http://www.godisageek.com/reviews/torment-tides-of-numenera-review/ 9/10

Reviewed on PC. PS4 version also tested. Here's the PS4 part for those who care:

The PlayStation 4 version of the game is just as good, however, there were a fair amount of times when the game stuttered a little, or froze temporarily. These issues aren’t a constant occurance, but certainly worth mentioning if you’re mulling over which platform to get the game on. Ignoring this, and you’re blessed with the same incredible game, but it did get frustrating at times.

Hammer24

Banned
I'm going to pick this up for the xbone. Consoles don't have enough games of this ilk, so I want to support them bringing it over.

Damn shame about the PS4 version, I was literally about to pull the trigger cause of the story praise:/

PS4 version is getting a day one patch which is supposed to fix performance. Best to wait for patch reviews I think.

Anyway it's great to see an RPG that relies so heavily on text do so well.

Instro

Sounds about as undercooked as you might expect from In Exile. Reviews seem pretty solid overall so far though.

mindatlarge

PS4 version is getting a day one patch which is supposed to fix performance. Best to wait for patch reviews I think.

Anyway it's great to see an RPG that relies so heavily on text do so well.
Unfortunately, the day one patch does not seem to fix some performance issues on consoles. I'd imagine we'll see another patch that will address the performance issues on consoles more in depth, hopefully sooner rather than later.

https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=17175

Top Bottom