• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TopGear USA - Big Thread of V-8s, Burnouts, and F*** Yeahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thanks!

EDIT: Here we go...

iLl1hPhtdPI0D.gif

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'll stick with UK Top Gear

So get the fug out and don't ever post in this thread ever again.

This episode was spectacular btw. Though I would've liked to see what Tanner could achieve on that oval. :(

When TGUK was shit last week I couldn't wait to watch this. With the last TGUK episode being one of the best they've ever done my enthusiasm to watch the latest ep of TGUS has decreased significantly.

I'm going to watch it tomorrow, but yeah. When TGUK is on form I don't feel the desire to seek out alternatives!

DJ_Lae

Not a bad episode - and one of the few big star small car's that I've not wanted to immediately skip through.

When TGUK was shit last week I couldn't wait to watch this. With the last TGUK episode being one of the best they've ever done my enthusiasm to watch the latest ep of TGUS has decreased significantly.

I'm going to watch it tomorrow, but yeah. When TGUK is on form I don't feel the desire to seek out alternatives!

I don't understand this at all.

It's not a zero-sum game. If TGUSA is fun, that doesn't take anything away from whether or not TGUK is any good or not.

Is it just silly nationalism from you guys? And if so...do you not understand that all the producers of TGUSA are all from the UK?

I would figure that if you like Top Gear, you'd want as much good quality Top Gear entertainment as you can get...never less.

(And I'd tap the fucking breaks on Sunday's TGUK being "one of the best they've ever done." It was quite good...but, come on.)

Um, you seem to have some irrational issues with my post there, fella.

It was just an observation that since the last UK show was good (and I would argue great) my motivation to watch the US one has gone down. The previous two episodes were bad, and I was looking forward to get my Top Gear fix from the US show instead. I've only watched three episodes of the US so far, so there's no country bias or something :\

Have a long walk and calm down.

I thought this weeks episode was a little tame. I enjoyed the handling challenge but I wish their third one was on a similar level. "fastest around a circle" is alright, but also a bit standard.

Um, you seem to have some irrational issues with my post there, fella.

It was just an observation that since the last UK show was good (and I would argue great) my motivation to watch the US one has gone down. The previous two episodes were bad, and I was looking forward to get my Top Gear fix from the US show instead. I've only watched three episodes of the US so far, so there's no country bias or something :\

Have a long walk and calm down.

Wait...I'm being irrational?

No, I'm honestly curious...why would you not want to watch one quality TG show just because another quality TG show is good too? Why would one have any effect on the desire for another?

That doesn't seem rational to me, and I'm just asking you why you think that way.

No need to personally insult me and imply I'm not calm and rational. I didn't insult you.

Because of what I've seen of US isn't nearly as good as TGUK at its best. So when UK is at its best, my desire to watch a lesser version decreases.

It's pretty simple, really.

Not a bad episode - and one of the few big star small car's that I've not wanted to immediately skip through.

Agreed.

I think rut should handle the interviews from here on out. He's much more comfortable up there than he was in the beginning which helps tremendously. Adam isn't enough of a car nut - it was painful last week when he was talking muscle cars. Tanner is too socially awkward 1 on 1

so rut it is!

AlphaSnake

So the logic is...I won't watch Top Gear US because this week's episode of UK was too good?

What the fuck?

He's afraid that if he watches US TG it will still be better then the best UK TG and his life will shatter.

Jesus Christ, what is it with you guys? It was one simple observation that because the UK show was great this week, I had forgot about this version of the show until it this thread was bumped. It was a comment in passing. Whereas when the UK show was awful last week, I was anticipating the US one to get my fix. Is it really that hard to understand?

I was NEVER saying because the UK was one good this week I won't be watching the US one, I plan on watching both all the time and I state that in my original post. I don't know why you guys are twisting into a US vs UK one because that's retarded and not my intention at all. It's not going to shatter my world if the US version ever gets as good as the UK one, because that's what I want.

You guys are way too defensive of your show and frankly acting like a bunch of cunts, so I'm out of this thread. Enjoy your little circle jerk where no one can ever make an observation that might slightly imply in the least bit that someone likes the UK version more than the US on select occasions. OH THE HORROR.

Kabouter

Okay, calm down everyone. No need to get worked up over nothing. Let's just get back to talking about the show.
Oh, and Foliorum, please clean up your post a bit, language and all.

it was kind of lame that they raced the horses in the mustangs rather than their muscle car of choice...painfully obvious that ford contributed a lot of money towards the show

sk3

Banned
Huge cop out how no one really won the comparo. And Tanner didn't even do the last challenge. The UK show has pulled similiar shit before and it is always annoying.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Huge cop out how no one really won the comparo. And Tanner didn't even do the last challenge. The UK show has pulled similiar shit before and it is always annoying.

They've had a few "draw's" lately.

Really thought the whole "Tanner blew it on the Match-The-Stig's Lap Speed" challenge, was a cop out, since Tanner is (90% sure) The Stig.

ascii42

it was kind of lame that they raced the horses in the mustangs rather than their muscle car of choice...painfully obvious that ford contributed a lot of money towards the show
Eh. Firstly, it gave them an opportunity to also drive the Boss and the Roush. Secondly, they were racing against a horse, driving Mustangs is an obvious thing to do.

Eh. Firstly, it gave them an opportunity to also drive the Boss and the Roush. Secondly, they were racing against a horse, driving Mustangs is an obvious thing to do.

I mean, it probably didn't help that I was watching it on the history channel website with a big SPONSORED BY 2103 FORD banner at the bottom of the screen

AlphaSnake

I mean, it probably didn't help that I was watching it on the history channel website with a big SPONSORED BY 2103 FORD banner at the bottom of the screen

It would only make sense for Ford to throw ad dollars toward a car show boasting about their product. It's not like they went and paid for the episode to be made - they just felt like their ad dollars were worthy of being used on Top Gear.

Ford wasn't a sponsor of the show when they filmed this episode.

It would only make sense for Ford to throw ad dollars toward a car show boasting about their product. It's not like they went and paid for the episode to be made - they just felt like their ad dollars were worthy of being used on Top Gear.

Yep.

Can I get a source for that info? The entire section felt like a ford mustang advertisement

From rather religiously following FinalGear threads over the years, here's how I gather it works: BBC is the production company. They pre-sell the episodes in a block to History Channel, and have no idea who will advertise the show, because the production and delivery of the shows to History is done independently and in advance of History's advertising deals. For example, for this eight-episode season, they did the remote segments first, and finished up all the episodes with the "studio" segments. From following Rutledge Wood's twitter, you can see they filmed these "studio" segments, (the ones in the hanger with the audience) in December. So this Mustang segment was probably done well before that even. Even if an episode is sponsored by a car company, that sponsorship is done through History channel, not the production company, BBC Worldwide.

From what we've heard too, the BBC also gets final edit of their shows, not History, since TopGear is BBC's and they are very protective of the brand. Here's what the BBC's executive producer of Top Gear, John Helsing, said about it before Season One: "Not to disrespect other car shows, but they're fundamentally comprised," says Hesling. "They have to say the Prius 'handles like a NASCAR,' but Top Gear couldn't be like that... we will be absolutely and brutally honest. That's what Top Gear is."

Obviously, the BBC is very concerned about the perception of bias that comes with advertising, especially since such bias is illegal under the laws the BBC operates under in the UK. From everything I've heard about the production of the US show, I think the same BBC production mentality is present here as well.

You do realize that a ton of episodes of UK Top Gear aired on the BBC America channel here in the USA also come with the same types of tag lines like "this episode of TopGear sponsored by Toyota," or Ford, or Kia, or whatever too, don't you? Well they do. But I don't hear anyone saying that compromises TGUK's output. Because they don't.

The only legit concern I could see is the fact that Tanner has a factory ride from Ford when he's racing. But if you notice, most of the time so far on all the other episodes of this show, Tanner hasn't driven Fords. So I think it's apparent the producers are sensitive to that perception as well. In the muscle car segment, you'll also notice that Tanner was the one most vocal about pointing out what he believed were the problems with the Mustang's design, suspension, and motor placement, while he drove the Camaro.

What is TopGear supposed to do, pretend the Boss 302 isn't one of the best Mustangs ever just so people don't think there's a bias in case History manages to sell time to Ford, even after the episode is filmed and "in the can?"

AlphaSnake

Can I get a source for that info? The entire section felt like a ford mustang advertisement

The source is me. I co-own and manage an ad network, it's my industry, and that's just how it works. To think that a car company paid a production company to feature their cars in such a positive light is a little foolish.

From rather religiously following FinalGear threads over the years, here's how I gather it works: BBC is the production company. They pre-sell the episodes in a block to History Channel, and have no idea who will advertise the show, because the production and delivery of the shows to History is done independently and in advance of History's advertising deals. For example, for this eight-episode season, they did the remote segments first, and finished up all the episodes with the "studio" segments. From following Rutledge Wood's twitter, you can see they filmed these "studio" segments, (the ones in the hanger with the audience) in December. So this Mustang segment was probably done well before that even. Even if an episode is sponsored by a car company, that sponsorship is done through History channel, not the production company, BBC Worldwide.

From what we've heard too, the BBC also gets final edit of their shows, not History, since TopGear is BBC's and they are very protective of the brand. Here's what the BBC's executive producer of Top Gear, John Helsing, said about it before Season One: "Not to disrespect other car shows, but they're fundamentally comprised," says Hesling. "They have to say the Prius 'handles like a NASCAR,' but Top Gear couldn't be like that... we will be absolutely and brutally honest. That's what Top Gear is."

Obviously, the BBC is very concerned about the perception of bias that comes with advertising, especially since such bias is illegal under the laws the BBC operates under in the UK. From everything I've heard about the production of the US show, I think the same BBC production mentality is present here as well.

You do realize that a ton of episodes of UK Top Gear aired on the BBC America channel here in the USA also come with the same types of tag lines like "this episode of TopGear sponsored by Toyota," or Ford, or Kia, or whatever too, don't you? Well they do. But I don't hear anyone saying that compromises TGUK's output. Because they don't.

The only legit concern I could see is the fact that Tanner has a factory ride from Ford when he's racing. But if you notice, most of the time so far on all the other episodes of this show, Tanner hasn't driven Fords. So I think it's apparent the producers are sensitive to that perception as well. In the muscle car segment, you'll also notice that Tanner was the one most vocal about pointing out what he believed were the problems with the Mustang's design, suspension, and motor placement, while he drove the Camaro.

What is TopGear supposed to do, pretend the Boss 302 isn't one of the best Mustangs ever just so people don't think there's a bias in case History manages to sell time to Ford, even after the episode is filmed and "in the can?"

Ok, I stand corrected, I'm glad they're handling it the same way as the UK version. It was, and still is, odd to me that they decided to make that one entire section about the Mustang. Like, maybe they could have had the Boss and the ZL1 or something I don't know

And I guess I should add what I liked and didn't like about the episode. Like always, the car sections are incredibly well filmed and interesting, but I hate the scripted "funny" parts. Like when they were riding their cars on the speedway and pretended not to know that the stock cars were going to come out. The US version is usually less guilty of this than the UK version, but I also don't find the US hosts as funny so it usually rubs me the wrong way

The source is me. I co-own and manage an ad network, it's my industry, and that's just how it works. To think that a car company paid a production company to feature their cars in such a positive light is a little foolish.
Ok, so basically you don't have one. I'm glad Pristine Condition tried to explain it.

First hand knowledge is a source...it's called "experience".

Could you be any more condescending? I think it's a little foolish to assume you know everything about the entire advertisement industry simply because you work in it. There's no need to be an asshole, simply explaining the process like Pristine did would've been fine

Finally catching up on the newest episode. Been great, loved the pony vs pony challenge. Anyone notice the smirk on Tanners face when he introduced the stig? It's definitely him. :lol

Tomorrow's Ep. 3 added to the OP's Episode Guide:

Dangerous Cars
Premier Date: 02/28/2012

Cars reputed to be dangerous are spotlighted. The hosts put the vehicles, a Ford Pinto, a Chevrolet Corvair, and a Suzuki Samurai, through various challenges, including a demolition derby. Fat Tony guests, and Rutledge tries to teach Adam that it's possible to drive a car without breaking it by getting him behind the wheel of one of the quickest, most dangerous vehicles around.

As always, anyone with any additional information that needs to go in the OP, please let me know. Thanks!

Added "Future Episodes" to the OP's Episode Guide. All the info I can find out so far...

Limos
The guys decide it's time to get some of the glamour back by building their own limousine.

Supercars
The guys are asked to choose what they think is the perfect high-end convertible by an anonymous celebrity buyer.

Rutledge's Show
Rutledge enters a championship race, becomes an inventor, almost kills Adam and tries out as a designated driver on the late night streets of San Francisco.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom