• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2016 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Young Pope, starring Jude Law, will premiere in Italy and Germany on October 21, the UK on October 27 and on HBO in the US sometime in February.

The Young Pope - Sky/Studio Canal/HBO

Awesome! February isn't too far away. Can't wait for this one to come out. Seems like a really interesting premise and the trailers have been really intriguing.

Also this is ahead of time, but still: any idea if they're going to have a big series going for December / January? Seems like in years past they've had The Leftovers and The Newsroom in December.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Old:

Masters of Sex
American Horror Story
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Scream Queens
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
Modern Family
Transparent
Bob's Burgers
Ash vs. Evil Dead
Blunt Talk
The Flash
Arrow
Legends of Tomorrow
Black Mirror
The Walking Dead
Rectify
Lovesick
The Affair
Man in the High Castle
Rick and Morty
Sense8
Vikings

New:

Atlanta
Better Things
One Mississippi
Quarry
Fleabag
High Maintenance
Audrie & Daisy
Crisis in Six Scenes
Luke Cage
Westworld
Divorce
Insecure
Haters Back Off
Berlin Station
Graves
Dirk Gently’s Holistic Detective Agency
Into the Inferno
The Ivory Game
Frontier
Black America Since MLK: And I Still Rise
Close to the Enemy

Maybe:

The Collection
Harley and the Davidsons
Queen Sugar
The Good Place
This is Us
Easy
Pitch
Nobel
Son of Zorn
Channel Zero
America Divided
Versailles
No Tomorrow
The 13th
Goliath
Wolf Creek
Chance
Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories
Good Girls Revolt
People of Earth
Stan Against Evil
The Crown
Undercover
Search Party
Shut Eye
Mars
Paranoid
Sneaky Pete

Making OTs for:

Masters of Sex (should be up soon), Westworld (!!!), The Affair, and Vikings.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Netflix has announced a new series premiering December 9 called White Rabbit Project.

White Rabbit Project - Netflix

waLof32.jpg

Mythbusters’ alums Kari Byron, Tory Belleci and Grant Imahara head down the rabbit hole to investigate weird and wonderful events from pop culture, science and history. Under their microscope are topics as diverse as jailbreaks, superpower technology, heists and crazy world war two weapons. In each episode the hosts immerse themselves in experiments, builds and tests as they sleuth the truth behind these and other well googled themes.

Netflix has announced a new series premiering December 9 called White Rabbit Project.

White Rabbit Project - Netflix

waLof32.jpg

Write up sounds kind of ... silly? I'll probably watch it though as I always found Kari and Tory amusing (plus Kari is hot)...

REALLY hope they're not going to be acting out those "hey we just thought of this right now" moments again. They're not anywhere near good enough actors to make that believable.

berzeli

Banned
Old:

New:

Maybe:

Making OTs for:
Is there anything you won't watch Ratsky? :p

Oh, and apparently Swedish Dicks sucks (Ratsky, get your mind out of the gutter you know full well what I meant). The nicest (by some margin) review that I've seen for it was mostly lukewarm and gave it 3/5. And that was the nicest. It got really panned elsewhere.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Is there anything you won't watch Ratsky? :p

Yes, the 400+ other shows I left off my list~

Oh, and apparently Swedish Dicks sucks (Ratsky, get your mind out of the gutter you know full well what I meant). The nicest (by some margin) review that I've seen for it was mostly lukewarm and gave it 3/5. And that was the nicest. It got really panned elsewhere.

Welp, I guess I can check that one off my list then!

inm8num2

Thank you as always for putting these threads together, Ratsky.

I've been trying to cut back on the shows I watch, which is hard since the selection seems to constantly be growing and improving in quality.

Returning (will watch)
The Affair - South Park - Rectify - Ash vs. Evil Dead - The Flash - Arrow - Gotham - New Girl - You're the Worst - The Strain

Returning (maybe)
The Last Man on Earth - who am I kidding, I'll watch it
American Horror Story - skipped season 5 but will see how reviews for this season are
Black Mirror - haven't seen previous seasons but have always been interested
Documentary Now - ditto, but seems like a funny show

Dropping
Masters of Sex - it's a really good show but I've simply lost interest
The Walking Dead - too cyclical and repetitive w/ no apparent endgame
Legends of Tomorrow - eh, Arrow and Flash are enough for me

New (very interested)
Atlanta - Quarry - Luke Cage - Westworld

New (maybe)
Better Things - Debate Wars - Easy - The Exorcist - Son of Zorn - Frequency - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

Movies
ARQ - The 13th - Mascots - Rocky Horror: Let's Do the Time Warp Again - Into the Inferno - The Ivory Game

I'm more excited about Survivor than anything. I caught the bug again over a year ago, after having not watched it in quite some time.

kevin1025

Banned
Question for those that watch them all: for The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow and now Supergirl, should I watch them in the order that they air? I'm catching up on Arrow, and plan on alternating episodes of The Flash and Arrow like their air dates for seasons one and three of both shows, but am wondering if, outside of the connected episodes, I'm making it more complicated than it should be?

Exis

Question for those that watch them all: for The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow and now Supergirl, should I watch them in the order that they air? I'm catching up on Arrow, and plan on alternating episodes of The Flash and Arrow like their air dates for seasons one and three of both shows, but am wondering if, outside of the connected episodes, I'm making it more complicated than it should be?

Not really, the crossover episodes are one thing but the rest is super minor.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Also this is ahead of time, but still: any idea if they're going to have a big series going for December / January? Seems like in years past they've had The Leftovers and The Newsroom in December.

Slow down there bucko! Fall TV season hasn't really even started yet!

(as for your question, nothing big appears to be scheduled for December and I don't think anything has been announced yet for January. Maybe Taboo on FX? Maybe The Deuce on HBO? We don't know when those will air yet.)

I don't watch Supergirl, but with the other three, I'd say that it doesn't really matter too much.

kevin1025

Banned

According to The Hollywood Reporter's list, here's the notable things in December/January so far (likely to be bulked up once the midseason shows get dates):

Mozart in the Jungle (Amazon) - December 9
Man in the High Castle (Amazon) - December 16
The New Celebrity Apprentice (NBC) - January 2 (I figured I'd add this since Arnold and all that)
Homeland (Showtime) - January 15
Billions (Showtime) - February 19

Not really, the crossover episodes are one thing but the rest is super minor.

I don't watch Supergirl, but with the other three, I'd say that it doesn't really matter too much.

Cool, thanks! I'll try and work it so that the crossover episodes are the only thing that keeps me from switching.

Sober

I always have nothing but praise when Ratsky puts these lists up. So much more effort than I have put into the cancellation threads.

That reminds me though, that thread should be up in a day or two. /cackle

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'd say no. The fall HBO lineup will last through the first weekend in December, I believe, which is exactly how The Leftovers: S2 aired. They could quickly burn off The Newsroom since it was short, but even that premiered early November and ended two weeks into December. It would be stupid to launch any notable new series at that time, like The Deuce. Maybe stuff like Girls and Crashing will air in January, but they could wait until February.

The Goldbergs, hoping it returns to form. S3 was not nearly as good.

Fresh off the Boat

Maybe some The Middle because of Eden Sher's char

Also looking forward to Wheel and Jeopardy starting back up.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I always have nothing but praise when Ratsky puts these lists up. So much more effort than I have put into the cancellation threads.

That reminds me though, that thread should be up in a day or two. /cackle

<3

Get to it! *cracks whip*

There's also "Time After Time" with hot HG Wells and Jack the Ripper based on a book that was made into a movie 37 years ago from ABC which is missing but apparently they haven't announced an air date for it so I guess it's going to be mid-season.

Sunday
Once Upon a Time**
The Simpsons**
Family Guy**
The Last Man on Earth
Monday
Gotham
Lucifer
Timeless*
Supergirl
Jane the Virgin
Tuesday
Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.
The Flash
No Tomorrow*
Fresh Off the Boat (Was thinking about dropping this last season but stuck with it, it's still teetering on "drop" but I'll see how the first few episodes go.)
Wednesday
The Goldbergs
South Park
Frequency*
Thursday
Superstore
Legends of Tomorrow
Friday
Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Netflix

Luke Cage
F is for Family (only seen a few episodes still going through the first season, seems alright so far)
ARQ (Isn't this just a movie?)

TBD
Black Jesus
Vikings

*=New show I'm going a shot.
**=Old show that I've watched for so long I might as well stick around until it ends or just watching out of habit.

Looks like Saturday will again be my catch up day this Fall. I honestly thought I'd have more but FFS I'm still watching a shitload of CW even with dropping Arrow and iZombie going back to mid-season.

Joni

There's also "Time After Time" with hot HG Wells and Jack the Ripper based on a book that was made into a movie 37 years ago from ABC which is missing but apparently they haven't announced an air date for it so I guess it's going to be mid-season.
Can't top Jaime Murray in the hot hg wells department.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sepinwall - 20 new fall TV shows to get excited about

Queen Sugar

When Parenthood ended a couple of years ago, I suggested that audiences might have to look to cable to find the next great family drama. Based on the first three episodes, which have an impressive command of tone and place on top of the family dynamics, this one could be it.

Better Things

One Mississippi

The Good Place

This is Us

One of two shows on this list created by Dan Fogelman it's a low-key relationship drama where the less you know going in the better, but if it works (and the pilot mostly does, particularly at the end), it's the kind of show the broadcast networks should be making more of.

Speechless

No Tomorrow

Frequency

Divorce

Divorce is as cutting as you might expect for a comedy created by Catastrophe's Sharon Horgan.

Insecure

HBO's been developing this show with web comedy star Issa Rae for a while now, and the result feels fully-baked: likable and funny and deeply personal.

More at the link.

SalvaPot

After catching the Panel at Comic-Con, I am REALLY excited about Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency.

The cast seems like they had fun, and I love the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, so getting more in that spirit sounds great.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Guys, question. I think earlier this year (spring or summer) I read about this new (comedy) show but I forgot what it was called and googling it didn't really help me out. I watched a trailer that was kinda cool so I'd like to check if it turned out good.

It was about a woman that somehow ended up taking care of the children of another super-rich woman (maybe her sister?) after not having contact with each other for a really long time. Said rather rich family lives in a mansion, has a cleaner/nanny etc but the parents of the kids are for some reason (maybe arrested for something?) not in the picture.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Guys, question. I think earlier this year (spring or summer) I read about this new (comedy) show but I forgot what it was called and googling it didn't really help me out. I watched a trailer that was kinda cool so I'd like to check if it turned out good.

It was about a woman that somehow ended up taking care of the children of another super-rich woman (maybe her sister?) after not having contact with each other for a really long time. Said rather rich family lives in a mansion, has a cleaner/nanny etc but the parents of the kids are for some reason (maybe arrested for something?) not in the picture.

The Mick?

https://youtu.be/MQ6Jg5i_pqc

Platy

Fixing my list because I totaly missed Elementary is going back

Lots of Good Stuff !

And LOL at van helsing for biting vampires back to human xD

For me I will focus on :

Pretty Much everything based on comic books that does not have zombies in it
Black Mirror
Class
Samurai Jack
Son of Zorn
Elementary

Maybe (probably will see one episode and think about it):
Elijah Wood with a Corgi
Man in the High Castle (if I finish season one)
MacGyver (love how it is almost a parody of macgyver)
Arq/Timeless (I am a sucker for time travel)
Stan Against Evil

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm shocked critics gave Queen Sugar such positive reviews. I struggled to make it through the first episode, and while the second was definitely an improvement, it's still Hallmark Channel level shit mixed with some ABC primetime soap, plus a dash of cable edge.

I mean, the opening scene involves Rutina Wesley sensuously getting out of bed and getting dressed, only to be warmly greeted by the ridiculously hunky (and naked) cop/detective that she's sleeping with. And then of course the other sister meets a hunky, honest, down to earth dude just days after she leaves her no good, lying, cheating big city basketball player husband. Hmm, I wonder what's going to happen there? And don't even get me started on that preschool teacher. Oh my god. Literally every scene with her is so awful and embarrassing.

Also, several reviews have made special mention of the series' quietude, going so far as to compare it to Rectify, which makes me wonder if critics were sent episodes with incomplete sound mixing, because in the ones I watched there was almost never actually a moment of silence - whenever the characters aren't speaking (and sometimes when they are), there's music fucking blaring into my ear holes. There's literally almost not one scene without some loud music playing in the background/foreground.

I'll keep watching because I was sort of compelled by the second half of episode 2, but this is definitely getting filed under "not great soap opera that I'm still watching because of reasons".

Pachimari

Aren't Shots Fired, Prison Break, 24: Legacy, Knightfall, Knight Rider Heroes, Skylanders Academy and Xenia: Warrior Princess also supposed to start up this year?

appaws

Banned
Saw a preview for Westworld, gotta say it looks pretty awesome.

Looking forward to Vikings and SVU as usual.

Harley and the Davidsons on the DVR.

Leeness

I'm so sorry for your loss. RIP

;___;

But I am free now to watch better things and to anticipate Disney's Beauty and the Beast with all of my heart now &#9786;&#65039;

It was a pretty predictable ending and at least it ended with the two living the way they always have: selfishly and with no real thought for others.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But I am free now to watch better things and to anticipate Disney's Beauty and the Beast with all of my heart now &#9786;&#65039;

It was a pretty predictable ending and at least it ended with the two living the way they always have: selfishly and with no real thought for others.

Beauty and the Beast
Ended, your heart unshackled
Free forevermore

would you have it any other way? :D

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm glad ARQ is just a movie. Even at 90 minutes it overstayed its welcome.

I still need to catch Speechless. I caught up on The Profit instead. And I'm two episodes behind on Halt and Catch Fire. Fall season hasn't even really started and I'm already falling behind on stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom