• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Spring TV shows will you be watching? - 2017 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's mad cool Elizabeth Moss found great work post AMC acclaimed show. something hamm and cranston haven't done. super excited for handmaid's tale.

kevin1025

Banned
Did anyone watch Guerrilla on Showtime? Was it any good?

It's really damn good! It's a shame it's likely going to be under the radar with all the major shows returning or still continuing, but it's well worth watching. There's definitely going to be some awards talk around this one, if the first episode is any indicator!

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

This is going to be another behind the scenes look at comedy that doesn't feature any actual good comedy, isn't it? I suppose the 70s standup scene is just another setting and you can make a compelling drama in almost any setting. That trailer just did nothing for me though. Looked like a boilerplate cable drama. Yelling! Nudity! Drugs! I'll wait for the reviews on this one

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It truly is Vinyl: Comedy Edition. I assume Melissa Leo was explicitly given tapes of Bobby Cannavale's performance for reference.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

#IDUH

This is going to be another behind the scenes look at comedy that doesn't feature any actual good comedy, isn't it?

The "humor" in the trailer looked about as lame and uninspired as the music in Vinyl.

Looked like a boilerplate cable drama. Yelling! Nudity! Drugs! I'll wait for the reviews on this one

Yep.

Vinyl: Comedy Edition.

It really does seem that way. Yeesh.

- Warming Glow: We’re In The Middle Of 2017’s Best Week Of Television
Take a look at this lineup of, objectively speaking, good shows.

Monday
American Dad, TBS
Bates Motel, A&E
Better Call Saul, AMC

Tuesday
The Americans, FX
Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Fox
Fresh Off the Boat, ABC
iZombie, the CW
The Middle, ABC

Wednesday
Archer, FXX
Brockmire, IFC
Empire, Fox
Fargo, FX
The Expanse, Syfy

Thursday
Scandal, ABC

Friday
Bosch, Amazon

Saturday
Doctor Who, BBC America
The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, HBO

Sunday
American Crime, ABC
Billions, Showtime
Bob’s Burgers, Fox
Feud, FX
Girls, HBO
The Last Man on Earth, Fox
The Leftovers, HBO
Silicon Valley, HBO
Veep, HBO

To recap: that’s arguably the four best dramas on TV (The Americans, Better Call Saul, Fargo, and The Leftovers); two returning HBO comedy titans (Silicon Valley and Veep); the series finale of an HBO mainstay (Girls); the best animated show on network TV (Bob’s Burgers); and a smattering of quality programming (everything else). Plus, there are the streaming shows that either just returned (Mystery Science Theater 3000), just ended (The Good Fight), or premiere this week (Netflix’s Bill Nye Saves the World and GirlBoss).

The only other week that stands a chance against this one comes later this month, when Hulu’s The Handmaid’s Tale debuts, but otherwise: Game of Thrones and Orange Is the New Black return in the summer, when the Big Four slow down. Master of None and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt are back in mid-May, but Bob’s Burgers and Brooklyn Nine-Nine will be gone and MST3K will have lost its new car smell. American Crime Story, Westworld, and Atlanta premiere won’t premiere until 2018. And BoJack Horseman and Halt and Catch Fire‘s fourth seasons are still TBA. That’s most of the best shows on TV, although, again, few can compete with the quartet of The Americans, Better Call Saul, Fargo, and The Leftovers. That’s “NBC in the early 2010s, when Community, 30 Rock, The Office, and Parks and Rec were on the same night”-level quality.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Okay so it's not releasing until 2018 but Freeform's murderous mermaid drama got a trailer. It's just as batshit as you could hope for.

The lead actress does have that other worldly look. It reminded me of the early Rita Repulsa scenes in the recent Power Rangers movie. I wonder how you even make this a long running series. More mermaids? Other monsters? Government chasing her? Saw glimpses of the latter but not much else.

TB14

Man, April's crazy. By the end of the month, I'm going to be watching more shows than there are days in the week.

I watch more shows than there are days of the week just on Wednesdays~

So true. Sunday, Tuesday and Wednesday are brutal. Wednesdays got a lot lighter after tonight though with Hap and Leonard, The Expanse and The Magicians all ending.

I'm easily watching 30+ shows a week right now.

The lead actress does have that other worldly look. It reminded me of the early Rita Repulsa scenes in the recent Power Rangers movie. I wonder how you even make this a long running series. More mermaids? Other monsters? Government chasing her? Saw glimpses of the latter but not much else.

The premise is so outrageous this could be great, like Sleepy Hollow was at the start. I checked who played the mermaid and she was in Game of Thrones as the actress playing Sansa in the traveling show. Talk about changing looks !

- ‘Will’: TNT Sets Summer Premiere For Young Shakespeare Drama Series
Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears: TNT has a premiere date for its young Shakespeare drama. The cable net is celebrating Sunday’s 453rd anniversary of the Bard’s birth by setting a 9 PM July 10 bow for Will, which stars newcomer Laurie Davidson as William Shakespeare and chronicles his wild 20s in the punk-rock theater scene of 16th century London. Check out the new trailer above.

- Blood Drive: Trailer #1 (from SyFy)
In the Grindhouse-infected future of 1999, Arthur Bailey is the last good cop among a horde of corrupt officials. He’s about to get caught up in a race where the cars run on human blood and failure means your head explodes. Coming June 14.

About Blood Drive: Los Angeles in the near future: where water is a scarce as oil, and climate change keeps the temperature at a cool 115 in the shade. It’s a place where crime is so rampant that only the worst violence is punished, and where Arthur Bailey — the city’s last good cop — runs afoul of the dirtiest and meanest underground car rally in the world: Blood Drive. The master of ceremonies is a vaudevillian nightmare, the drivers are homocidal deviants, and the cars run on human blood. Buckle Up, Lube Up and prepare for everything you know about Cable Television to Blow up!
Uhhhh...ok.

kevin1025

Banned
- Blood Drive: Trailer #1 (from SyFy)Uhhhh...ok.

I almost want to see how absurd this can possibly be. I'm expecting disaster, but who knows, it could be a campy disaster.

It feels like someone watched Grindhouse and Rob Zombie movies eight years too late and don't know of the history that came before those movies. But maybe it pays homage to that corner of cinema, who knows! One of the character names is D'Argento, so maybe it is more than it seems.

- ‘Turn: Washington’s Spies’ Gets Season 4 Premiere Date; Unveils Key Art
AMC has slotted Saturday, June 17, 9 PM for the two-hour premiere of the fourth and final season of its Revolutionary War spy drama Turn: Washington’s Spies. The network also unveiled the Season 4 key art. It features Jamie Bell as Abraham Woodhull and depicts his determination to “Finish the Fight.”

DDKLhuD.jpg
I forgot that this show was still on.

Grizzlyjin

What is that? Something to do with The 100?

I think it's a new Seeso original. I don't watch those.

I keep telling myself I'll watch Turn via Netflix and I always forget. In all honesty, probably won't happen until after the show is off the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom