• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What Fall TV shows will you be watching? - 2016 Edition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leeness

Did they die?

Beauty and Beast faked their death without telling their friends and ran off to Paris together, leaving their friends (and her sister) to believe up until the double funeral that they were dead. Their friends: wept constantly, were expressing things like "I don't think I can breathe", and killed someone in revenge. Then after the funeral, there were breadcrumbs that it was a faked death.

It was fine tho, they moved to Paris, spoke perfect French in six months, were totes in fairy tale love and had their happy ending, and even though they were faking their deaths, their friends and sister all travelled together to another country at the same time to see them and drink wine together and loudly proclaim THAT'S WHY WE FAKED OUR DEATHS LOL. THE END.

Also, is anyone else watching any of the 4 billion documentaries on JonBenet's murder?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Beauty and Beast faked their death without telling their friends and ran off to Paris together, leaving their friends (and her sister) to believe up until the double funeral that they were dead. Their friends: wept constantly, were expressing things like "I don't think I can breathe", and killed someone in revenge. Then after the funeral, there were breadcrumbs that it was a faked death.

holy shit lmao

It was fine tho, they moved to Paris, spoke perfect French in six months, were totes in fairy tale love and had their happy ending, and even though they were faking their deaths, their friends and sister all travelled together to another country at the same time to see them and drink wine together and loudly proclaim THAT'S WHY WE FAKED OUR DEATHS LOL. THE END.

but didn't the French care about Beast's horrific disfigurement??

Leeness

holy shit lmao

Right? They're so selfish lol.

but didn't the French care about Beast's horrific disfigurement??

batb-final-season-trailer.jpg

Sacre bleu! He's hideous!

Leeness

giphy.gif

Anyway, his affliction was wildly inconsistent. He had a scar, now he barely has one, sometimes he has healing powers, but sometimes he doesn't so she can hold him and cry, he's super fast and has tracking abilities, yet he loses people he's tracking a lot (especially when Beauty gets kidnapped (and she generally saves herself and it's hilarious because he's all "omg I came to save you" while she walks out of whatever happened unscathed and is all "yeah it's fine")), etc etc.

Also, just realized how different he looks from season 1 to 4. 😦 Forgot how young he looked in season 1.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
giphy.gif

Anyway, his affliction was wildly inconsistent. He had a scar, now he barely has one, sometimes he has healing powers, but sometimes he doesn't so she can hold him and cry, he's super fast and has tracking abilities, yet he loses people he's tracking a lot (especially when Beauty gets kidnapped (and she generally saves herself and it's hilarious because he's all "omg I came to save you" while she walks out of whatever happened unscathed and is all "yeah it's fine")), etc etc.

Also, just realized how different he looks from season 1 to 4. 😦 Forgot how young he looked in season 1.

lol

Thanks for watching it so I didn't have to! <3

Leeness

I can't believe all of that is real.

I just can't.

Beauty and the Beast CW means never having to say you're kidding.

Edit: Watching the "main event" JonBenet documentary, the CBS one, and it's biased as fuck, and not only is it not talking about some evidence, it's REMOVING some, to fit its narrative.

Edit: Second half of this JonBenet doc is making me angry. Holy shit, this is low, low, low. It doesn't matter what you believe happened, this is a HORRIBLE "documentary".

Seirith

Wow people watch a ton of TV! I can't imagine watching 10+ shows on a regular basis...

As for me and my husband for the fall... The Walking Dead and next year Better Call Saul and The 100.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Quite the twist in This Is Us, huh. Going to be interesting to see what they make of it.

Yeah, it looked a little corny in the trailers but I'm so glad I gave it a chance. Plus I gotta support the Pittsburgh love, the opening scene had a Terrible Towel. lol

Oddly enough, I'm still a little apprehensive about investing in it too much. Absolutely splendid pilot but I wonder how the show is going to work across an entire season. They played a really big hand in that first episode.

DagsJT

"This Is Us" was excellent. All of the characters were interesting and I liked how it played out.

Also watched "Designated Survivor" and found it to be cheesier than "Quantico" which is saying something. I'll give it another episode or two but it wasn't great.

kevin1025

Banned
So nearly a week into the fall season (kind of), my sticking-with-it list has dwindled considerably. I'm down to:

This Is Us
American Horror Story
Halt and Catch Fire
Superstore
Better Things
You're The Worst
Designated Survivor
Scream Queens
And possibly The Exorcist (if it sticks around)

Plus all of the streaming stuff and backlog shows.

...which doesn't sound like a dwindled list. October is going to hurt, with a lot of big shows incoming.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Of the new shows I've seen, I only really care about Atlanta and Better Things. Otherwise, most of the new shows are background fodder. Nothing really special unfortunately.

berzeli

Banned
Trailer for Amazon's Mad Newsroom Good Girls Revolt. (geolocked to US, would find another link but the show is not looking like worth the effort)
Sigh. And I had hopes for this one at one point.

Oh, and Ratsky. I finally figured out what show I totally forgot in my Euro-roundup:
FBfPsc0.jpg

National Treasure
Trailer
Paul Finchley is a bona fide "national treasure", one half of a popular, long-running comedy double act. However, the famous comedian's world is thrown into chaos when he is accused of historic sexual abuse.
Of course the one show I would totally forget about is the one by one of my absolute favourite writers, Jack Thorne (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, The Last Panthers, This Is England '86/'88/'90, The Fades)
The one which is getting rave reviews, "Robbie Coltrane is superb in this dark landmark drama" (5/5) - Telegraph, "National Treasure is thoughtful, bold and accomplished, a powerful example of how the issues of a news story can be explored through television drama." Guardian, "it's already one of the best and most affecting bits of television in ages" - Digital Spy
The one I've been looking forward to since it was announced.
The second episode airs on Channel 4 on 27 September at 21:00. Don't be stupid like me and forget about it.

kevin1025

Banned
Trailer for Amazon's Mad Newsroom Good Girls Revolt. (geolocked to US, would find another link but the show is not looking like worth the effort)
Sigh. And I had hopes for this one at one point.

Oh, and Ratsky. I finally figured out what show I totally forgot in my Euro-roundup:
FBfPsc0.jpg

National Treasure
Trailer

Of course the one show I would totally forget about is the one by one of my absolute favourite writers, Jack Thorne (Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, The Last Panthers, This Is England '86/'88/'90, The Fades)
The one which is getting rave reviews, "Robbie Coltrane is superb in this dark landmark drama" (5/5) - Telegraph, "National Treasure is thoughtful, bold and accomplished, a powerful example of how the issues of a news story can be explored through television drama." Guardian, "it's already one of the best and most affecting bits of television in ages" - Digital Spy
The second episode airs on Channel 4 on 27 September at 21:00. Don't be stupid like me and forget about it.

Jack Thorne and Robbie Coltrane, I'm in!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
FBfPsc0.jpg

National Treasure
Trailer

Nice! Will watch when it comes to the US.

Of the new shows I've seen, I only really care about Atlanta and Better Things. Otherwise, most of the new shows are background fodder. Nothing really special unfortunately.
At some point FX became the best broadcast channel. The new comedies are unique, they have some of the best current comedies in Archer and Always Sunny, they're making huge strides in the starry anthology with Fargo, Amercian Crime Story, and American Horror Story, and they've got the best show on TV with the Americans

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I like that HBO's High Maintenance is really just a continuation of the (very good) webseries and not a reboot. I also like that the only thing that's changed in the transition from web to TV is the length of the episodes.

It was a bit lazy for HBO to just poach an existing property and air a version of it on their channel, as opposed to developing something completely original instead, but they really couldn't have picked a better webseries to adapt.

Aftermath surprised me with its premiere. I thought it'd be low budget sci-fi/horror garbage, but it was actually pretty good.

I'm watching:

This is Us - Really good show, but we don't need a surprise ending every episode. The first one was good, the second one was too much.

Kevin Can Wait - I like Kevin James. If you don't, you won't like the show. His wife is smoking hot, too.

Quarry - Started off really well. Hasn't hit that level again, but it's still quite solid.

Paranormal Lockdown - I'm a sucker for things about ghosts (not sure if I believe in them, just fascinated by the idea.) This show isn't great by any means, but I enjoy it for the most part.

The Big Bang Theory - Still going relatively strong, but not what it once was.

Modern Family - The magic has dissipated a bit, but still fun.

Designated Survivor - Episode 1 was solid, the second was better. I'll stick with it for now.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
After being delayed twice, USA has finally set the premiere date for their new Ryan Phillippe drama 'Shooter': November 15 at 10/9c.

Sober

After being delayed twice, USA has finally set the premiere date for their new Ryan Phillippe drama 'Shooter': November 15 at 10/9c.
I think they finally have to just air it despite the fact that it is generally good practice to not air something if a similar violent act happened on the news that week.

Too bad it seems to keep happening every week. That's just crap luck.

Leeness

I know this is completely first world problems and all that but it really annoys me that I can't watch CW shows in HD anymore. :/ they got rid of the channel in Canada and now only the SD channels are left. Can't watch Jane or Crazy Ex properly anymore (Flash is safe because it ended up on a Canadian channel in HD). :/

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Oh my lord, the first episode of Graves was one of the unfunniest episodes of a comedy I've ever seen. It was, like, Sunday Funnies level humor with a dash of premium cable vulgarity. I don't know why EPIX gave this the green light (I mean, they clearly wanted to get into original scripted programming, but they really should have waited for something better to come along).

chadskin

Saw the first three episodes of Berlin Station.

What a waste of a great cast. Uninspired, clichéd and more bland "Hooray USA! &#127482;&#127480;" cheerleading, with the simple message of CIA = good, whistleblowers = bad that I find really rather tiring these days. Frankly, even Homeland did a more nuanced take on this in season five, although it ultimately conveyed a similar message.

So, if you were hoping for a smarter, more thoughtful rendition of Homeland's season five, this is sadly not it. If you want to see the CIA save the day once again, against obstructive European governments more concerned about pesky 'privacy' and 'human/civil rights', have at it.

- The Young Pope starts January 15th on HBO
LOS ANGELES, Nov. 1, 2016&#8202;—&#8202;HBO has confirmed the debut date for the ten-episode limited drama series THE YOUNG POPE, with the first part scheduled to debut SUNDAY, JAN. 15 (9:00–10:00 p.m. ET/PT), and the second part the next night, MONDAY, JAN. 16 (9:00–10:00 p.m. ET/PT), followed by other episodes subsequent Sundays and Mondays at the same time.

Directed by Paolo Sorrentino, THE YOUNG POPE tells the story of Lenny Belardo, aka Pius XIII, the first American Pope in history. Young and charming, his election seems to be the result of a simple yet effective media strategy on the part of the College of Cardinals. But appearances can be deceptive&#8202;—&#8202;above all, in the place where people have chosen the great mystery of God as the compass guiding their existence. That place is the Vatican and those people are the leaders of the Church. And Pius XIII proves to be the most mysterious and contradictory of them all. Shrewd and naïve, ironic and pedantic, primeval and cutting-edge, doubting and resolute, melancholy and ruthless, Pius XIII tries to cross the endless river of human solitude to find a God he can give to mankind. And to himself.

Jude Law stars in the title role; Diane Keaton stars as Sister Mary, a nun from the U.S. now living in Vatican City. The cast also includes Silvio Orlando, Scott Shepherd, Cécile de France, Javier Cámara, Ludivine Sagnier, Toni Bertorelli and James Cromwell.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Saw the first three episodes of Berlin Station.

What a waste of a great cast. Uninspired, clichéd and more bland "Hooray USA! &#127482;&#127480;" cheerleading, with the simple message of CIA = good, whistleblowers = bad that I find really rather tiring these days. Frankly, even Homeland did a more nuanced take on this in season five, although it ultimately conveyed a similar message.

So, if you were hoping for a smarter, more thoughtful rendition of Homeland's season five, this is sadly not it. If you want to see the CIA save the day once again, against obstructive European governments more concerned about pesky 'privacy' and 'human/civil rights', have at it.

That's certainly disappointing to hear. Thanks for the impressions!

Interesting release strategy.

It's what they did with Olive Kitteridge.

Also, I guess that points The Leftovers season 3 premiere towards February 19th?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
It's what they did with Olive Kitteridge.

Also, I guess that points The Leftovers season 3 premiere towards February 19th?
I'm expecting Big Little Lies actually. HBO's been releasing promos and it's what was just shown in the 2017 preview (alongside Girls, Crashing, and The Young Pope). Then The Leftovers takes the traditional Game of Thrones spot in April.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm expecting Big Little Lies actually. HBO's been releasing promos and it's what was just shown in the 2017 preview (alongside Girls, Crashing, and The Young Pope). Then The Leftovers takes the traditional Game of Thrones spot in April.

Oh yeah, I forgot that Big Little Lies is coming so soon. Given HBO's recent track record with limited/mini series, I just assumed it was still years away.

I noticed I'm PVRing and watching twenty-five shows a week. That's after dropping Designated Survivor.

The Walking Dead - B
Supernatural - B
Westworld - A
Channel Zero: Candle Cove - B
The Middle - B
Paranormal Lockdown - B
Survivor - C+
Paranormal Witness (which has become awful) - F
Kevin Can Wait - C
The Big Bang Theory - C+
Man With a Plan - D+
Dateline NBC