• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAYTONA USA |OT| This is your crew chief. You're in a rolling start...

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Sixfortyfive said:
I'm still trying to finish an Enudrance Type B race. Got close once and then the host decided to drop. :/
Woop, just finished a race with one other guy who decided to humor me. Beginner track, I finished 10 laps ahead, used pitstop 3 times. >_>

VVV Mars VG

Yeah it's great fun, made a few videos on my youtube, here's a manual transmission run with aracde difficulty http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j4aFA8Ef4s

I really do hope it sells well and look forward to future conversions, would love to see Sega Rally, the PS2 60fps version was simply the Saturn version running smoother, so a perfect port would be nice. I also hope this is picked up on by companies such as Namco, imagine direct conversions of their top titles, awesome potential.

Trojan X

Banned
Iknos said:
Don't have the game myself but PS2 has Sega Rally 2000 I think it was called. It has the arcade port of Sega Rally 1. Play it on your PS3 and enjoy.

Sorry dude, the PS2 version of SEGA Rally is based on the SEGA Saturn version running at 60fps and slightly improved 3D modelling. There is no version that is based on the Arcade. Please take a look at this video of the game running on the PS2 as proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4YmDuI_gh4

So, it's going to be awhile before you get this excellence running on our consoles:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UL_jih1Xk80

I had forgotten how bad I am at this game :(

Seriously need a wheel for it, the controls are a bit... well I don't remember them feeling like this, lol.

Shaneus

Trojan X said:
Sorry dude, the PS2 version of SEGA Rally is based on the SEGA Saturn version running at 60fps and slightly improved 3D modelling. There is no version that is based on the Arcade. Please take a look at this video of the game running on the PS2 as proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4YmDuI_gh4

So, it's going to be awhile before you get this excellence running on our consoles:

Wow, I always thought it was! But you're right... I'm pretty sure the arcade handled transparencies far better than whatever that version was ported from.

Again, the only reason I'd kill for a console SR would be the attract mode. The music on the home version just doesn't match up to the funky slap-bass of the arcade.

Iknos

Trojan X said:

Thanks for clearing that up. Now I don't feel as disappointed that I haven't been able to find the game. lol

herzogzwei1989 said:
Man i'd kill for Sega Rally 2 arcade HD

Sega listens dude:

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?332976-Sega-Racing-Classic-aka-Daytona-needs-Digital-Release&

Clumsyorchid, Sega community rep, was already asking me about Virtua Racing, Scud Race, Daytona 2, Sega Rally etc when I suggested them on their Daytona blog.

We can get these games, they just need the feedback and to see some enthusiasm for them.

Sega Rally + Sega Rally 2 could be released in a combo. Maybe Virtua Racing and Indy 500 together though that would require another license.

They already have the Daytona license again so it makes all these sense in the world to go ahead with Daytona 2.

Super GT aka Scud Race HD is glorious enough to be sold on it's own for $9.99.

Iknos said:
If your PS3 has backwards compatibility with PS2 games you can get Sega Classics collection it has Virtua Racing. I have it and it plays great.

I've got it. I still want to see the Model 1 original in HD.

Vracing.png

+

Indy 500

GAME-621095118.jpeg

Shaneus

Scud Race is less likely. Will need permission from McLaren, Ferrari and Porsche (bahahaha). I can't remember if there were more... there were only three cars, yeah? Different skins I think, but only those three as a base.

isamu said:
It really saddens to see that there are so many people in this thread who are unaware of SuperModel. You can basically play Daytona 2 and Scud in your living room all day every day. So many people asking for these games not even knowing it's right under their nose :(

Wait not only that but I can play Virtua Striker 2 ver 98! OH MY FUCKING LIFE!

The king of Virtua Striker entries...

GrayFoxPL

isamu said:
It really saddens to see that there are so many people in this thread who are unaware of SuperModel. You can basically play Daytona 2 and Scud in your living room all day every day. So many people asking for these games not even knowing it's right under their nose :(

What about it being illegal? Well, unless everyone got original arcade boards stashed in the basement.

At least for this Daytona people paid for.

Sixfortyfive

Shaneus said:
Scud Race is less likely. Will need permission from McLaren, Ferrari and Porsche (bahahaha). I can't remember if there were more... there were only three cars, yeah? Different skins I think, but only those three as a base.
You can just strip logos and stuff out, can't you?

Hell, I'm pretty sure Hang-On in Shenmue had changes made to it for that exact reason.

Shaneus

Sixfortyfive said:
You can just strip logos and stuff out, can't you?

Hell, I'm pretty sure Hang-On in Shenmue had changes made to it for that exact reason.
Yeah, Outrun did too. But a low-res sprite is a bit different to having iconic 3D models. Few pixels vs. a 3D model *and* logos.

Why not go the GTA route? Change the models enough and call them different names and BAM! problem solved.

"Choose car:

Lodge Snake

Gerrara G60

Trosher 411

McDeran GTR"

Trojan X

Banned
GrayFoxPL said:
What about it being illegal? Well, unless everyone got original arcade boards stashed in the basement.

At least for this Daytona people paid for.

Heh, Come on, dude. I'm sure you and everyone knew the point of what Isamu said. :)

Like some of us here, we all immediately brought Daytona USA on XBL even though we had it on emu. However, you know what to do for the time being until when and if Scud Race comes out on consoles.

BTW - for all those that experience only playing 2 players only on the PSN and/or XBL version of the game. The issue that causes this is due to your network (NAT). For resolve, go to this page: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f142/nat-issues-xbox-and-ps3-187282.html

DireStr8s

I double dipped & I can tell one big difference: The sound mix.

On PS3 it's just me, the sound of racing & the music. On 360 there's some goddamn hick in the car constantly babbling on about my driving. I swear I didn't even know this backseat driving A hole was there until I played on 360. I'm like: "Please, man...SHUT THE FERK UP!!"

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
nickslicl said:
I double dipped & I can tell one big difference: The sound mix.

On PS3 it's just me, the sound of racing & the music. On 360 there's some goddamn hick in the car constantly babbling on about my driving. I swear I didn't even know this backseat driving A hole was there until I played on 360. I'm like: "Please, man...SHUT THE FERK UP!!"
That's part of the arcade version, I'm cool with it.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
east of eastside said:
Sega listens dude:

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?332976-Sega-Racing-Classic-aka-Daytona-needs-Digital-Release&

Clumsyorchid, Sega community rep, was already asking me about Virtua Racing, Scud Race, Daytona 2, Sega Rally etc when I suggested them on their Daytona blog.

We can get these games, they just need the feedback and to see some enthusiasm for them.

Sega Rally + Sega Rally 2 could be released in a combo. Maybe Virtua Racing and Indy 500 together though that would require another license.

They already have the Daytona license again so it makes all these sense in the world to go ahead with Daytona 2.

Super GT aka Scud Race HD is glorious enough to be sold on it's own for $9.99.

Awesome, we got their ears, the XBLA version had good first week sales, we've got nowhere to go but up.

As for the Sega Super GT licensing, Porsche shouldn't be a problem. Yes, EA is hogging the license, but they have a business relationship with Sega now (Sega's publishing Need for Speed: The Run and Battlefield 3 in Japan, I believe, possibly other games as well), and ex- Sega of America exec Peter Moore is running the show at EA now. I'm certain if Sega asked to have one Porsche in their game, EA would say yes.

Sega needs to renew their license with Ferrari for the F40, and getting the licensing for the McLaren F1 GTR and Dodge Viper should be easy since every racing game worth its weight in gold has them.

EDIT: Sega's publishing Shadows of the Damned in Japan, too, as well as any other EA title in the future.

http://deltagamer.com/8332/sega-and-electronic-arts-reach-landmark-deal

Trojan X said:
BTW - for all those that experience only playing 2 players only on the PSN and/or XBL version of the game. The issue that causes this is due to your network (NAT). For resolve, go to this page: http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f142/nat-issues-xbox-and-ps3-187282.html

Sorry to derail things a bit but when you say playing 2 players only, what exactly do you mean?

I don't think my router has ever worked properly, I've set up a static IP, opened all the ports needed and so on but in games like Daytona I only ever see one or two games available to join...this is not normal I take it?

I wasn't sure if the online aspect was just quiet/dead.

cheers

Trojan, I love your nebula videos, I have to ask what specs are your pc?! I'm guessing you're running an Intel CPU? I'm running AMD here and I'm still having that stuttering problem....... Driving me nuts :\

Trojan X

Banned
drugstore_cowboy said:
Sorry to derail things a bit but when you say playing 2 players only, what exactly do you mean?

I don't think my router has ever worked properly, I've set up a static IP, opened all the ports needed and so on but in games like Daytona I only ever see one or two games available to join...this is not normal I take it?

I wasn't sure if the online aspect was just quiet/dead.

cheers

Apparently, there some people on this board that are experiencing network issues which would restrict them from only creating a 2 player lobby game and non participation of the Quick multiplayer game. This network issue got nothing to do with the game itself, Xbox LIVE or PSN, its to do with the person's own NAT settings in their router. Normally, just a complete restart or starting the router fresh (turning it off with no power until the memory blanks out) solves the problem, but with other people that cannot solve the issue with that method, that is where the link I provided comes in. Beyond this, the next advice I give to people is to get a technician to check their network to ensure that it is running at optimal and open performance. The technician should check everything including the cable/phone/network exchange that should be located around the corner from the person's resident/office/where-ever-the-router-is.

Bucket-o-roadkill said:
Trojan, I love your nebula videos, I have to ask what specs are your pc?! I'm guessing you're running an Intel CPU? I'm running AMD here and I'm still having that stuttering problem....... Driving me nuts

Thank you. Look out for the next episode of VERSUS BATTLECAST that will come out later today or tomorrow. I think you'll like it very much!

My PC specs are the following:

INTEL i7 920 2.6ghz O.C. 3.3ghz
12gb 1600mhhz
Radeon HD 5770

Got the 360 version tonight. It's awesome... but is it perfect?
Like another poster said, i think the 360 pad controls are a bit off, nowhere near as bad as standard Daytona DC of course, but a little twitchy if you're not slight with the analog.
I think it was also mentioned before, but the road in the middle-distance is definitely bit blurry from time to time - honestly can't remember if the original arcade was like that. The popup does seem improved though!

Supreme nit-picking aside (weren't the cloud reflections brighter before?!), man it feels good after 17 years to finally be playing it the way it was meant to be played!
I still have a soft spot for my daggy Saturn version, but (HD aside) this really shows how far off they were back then!

I'm not serious enough for a real wheel, but i might pick up one of those speed wheels at some point down the track, anyone using one? How is it?

Trojan X

Banned
the androgyne said:
Got the 360 version tonight. It's awesome... but is it perfect?
Like another poster said, i think the 360 pad controls are a bit off, nowhere near as bad as standard Daytona DC of course, but a little twitchy if you're not slight with the analog.
I think it was also mentioned before, but the road in the middle-distance is definitely bit blurry from time to time - honestly can't remember if the original arcade was like that. The popup does seem improved though!

Supreme nit-picking aside (weren't the cloud reflections brighter before?!), man it feels good after 17 years to finally be playing it the way it was meant to be played!
I still have a soft spot for my daggy Saturn version, but (HD aside) this really shows how far off they were back then!

I'm not serious enough for a real wheel, but i might pick up one of those speed wheels at some point down the track, anyone using one? How is it?

Controls are perfect. It handles exactly the same as the arcade and if you got a steering wheel then it will handle exactly the same as the Arcade. I can also confirm that the steering controls on the Model 2 emu and XBL game are EXACTLY the same with no change what so ever.

The mip-mapping or filtering issue involving in the middle of the screen is not in the arcade version. Bear in mind that this is a port from SEGA RACING CLASSICS and not DAYTONA USA.

This version of Daytona makes the Saturn and Dreamcast version looks like absolutely nothing.

Don't know what "those" speed wheels are. My advice is if you are going to get a steering wheel then get one that consider all the machines you got in your home and then some.

Holy crap! Check out his shifting techniques: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfYXRn0Cjcg&feature=related

Trojan X

Banned
Samus4145 said:
Am I the only one that thinks it sucks? Never really enjoyed it in the arcade, nor on the PSN.

Why don't you like it? It would be interesting to see your exact reasons why you never enjoyed any version of Daytona USA.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Despite being a huge fan of old-school gaming, a Sega whore, and an arcade racer nut, I'd never really played Daytona USA, save for one time in an arcade when I was 8. And even then, I had no idea what the hell was going on.

So I bought this game based on all the hype over the years and...

Yeah. It's fucking glorious. It's kind of remarkable how fun the driving mechanics are, given the game's age.

Edit: Also - and this is completely irrelevant to the above - am I the only one who thinks the distortion and tint in screenshots of arcade games is really appealing? I remember seeing those Daytona 2 shots in EGM way back in 1998, and there's something about it that makes it really appealing to me. I kinda wish there was a "semi-busted arcade monitor" filter in more games... sorta like a more dramatic version of what they did with 3s online."

CLEEK

Trojan X said:
Controls are perfect. It handles exactly the same as the arcade and if you got a steering wheel then it will handle exactly the same as the Arcade.

The 360 controls only seem a bit off if you play the PS3 version. The PSN one handles perfectly analogue and smoothly, where as the 360 controls are ever-so-slightly twitchy.

It's a strange thing to be different between the two versions, but it's real none the less. As I said, the 360 version is perfectly playable, but the handling on the PSN release makes it the definitive version to get.

Trojan X

Banned
SPE said:
The 360 controls only seem a bit off if you play the PS3 version. The PSN one handles perfectly analogue and smoothly, where as the 360 controls are ever-so-slightly twitchy.

It's a strange thing to be different between the two versions, but it's real none the less. As I said, the 360 version is perfectly playable, but the handling on the PSN release makes it the definitive version to get.

Interesting. Did you check this against the emu, or just compared the XBL against the PSN version?

Sounds dumb, but all sounding like a control-pad issue so far but to be honest I never had any "twitch" problem when I play the game.

CLEEK

Bought the PS3 version, downloaded the 360 demo a few days later. Felt the handling difference immediately. For example, the slight sweep of the left stick to hold your line on the turn leading up the tunnel in Dinosaur Canyon is easy on the PS3 version, handling just like the arcade version.

On the 360 one, there feels like there is a deadzone on the 360's left stick, which prevents subtle, smooth steering. I adapted to it quickly, enough, but was disappointed that Sega had almost pulled a Daytona USA 2001 on the XBLA version.

Sixfortyfive

SPE said:
handling just like the arcade version.
Unless you're using the arcade cabinet's wheel and force feedback setup, no home port "handles just like the arcade version." What you are noting are differences between control devices, not between different versions of the game.

Other than the inherent problem that the 360 controller has with drifting analog sticks over time (which has been an inconvenience for me across several games), there's really nothing to complain about with the way the 360 version plays.

SPE said:
Bought the PS3 version, downloaded the 360 demo a few days later. Felt the handling difference immediately. For example, the slight sweep of the left stick to hold your line on the turn leading up the tunnel in Dinosaur Canyon is easy on the PS3 version, handling just like the arcade version.

On the 360 one, there feels like there is a deadzone on the 360's left stick, which prevents subtle, smooth steering. I adapted to it quickly, enough, but was disappointed that Sega had almost pulled a Daytona USA 2001 on the XBLA version.

I find the exit out of tunnel highlights the twitchiness the most. The back of the car slides out way too easily as you navigate the slight turn before the sharper right up the hill.

Surprising given all the options for wheels, that there's not the ability to adjust the analog controller sensitivity.

Truth be told if you adjust the settings on Daytona USA 2001, you can get it pretty close to what the 360 version is doing now, it's only the default controls that are borked.

Trojan X

Banned
the androgyne said:
Truth be told if you adjust the settings on Daytona USA 2001, you can get it pretty close to what the 360 version is doing now, it's only the default controls that are borked.

... but the main mechanics are completely different in that game so it wouldn't matter if people adjusted it so it feels initially the same.

CLEEK

Sixfortyfive said:
What you are noting are differences between control devices, not between different versions of the game.

That's not true. If the 360 pad had an inherent issue that cause twitchy steering, it would be apparent in all racing games. Which is not the case. It is definitely a difference between version. It's not even that the 360 controls have a deadzone to account for stick drift, as the twitchness is across the entire range of movement of the left stick - not just moving from centre.

As mentioned earlier, just download both versions and see for yourself. I can't be the only Daytona fan with both a 360 and PS3... On the PS3, you press the stick a tiny bit to the left, and your trusty Hornet moves left a little. Push it a touch more, and the car mores a little bit more. Normal analogue movement, as you find in GT, Forza, Ridge Racer etc.

On the 360, push the stick a little and nothing, push it a little bit more and the car moves in a noticeable turn. Push it a tiny bit further and nothing, then move the stick another little bit and again the car turns in another noticeable step. Twitchy, digital feeling controls as you find in Daytona 2001.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I haven't tried the PS3 version, but I did notice that if you very gradually move the stick to the side, there's a definite point where it sort of "clicks" and your car zooms off to the side a bit. Guess I'll try the PS3 version tomorrow to see wassup.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bought this yesterday as I discovered I had some unused credit on my US PSN account (I'm in the UK).

Attract mode just instantly hits you with nostalgia as soon as the music kicks in. My kids were giving me strange looks as I fawned over this 'old looking' game.

First impressions are that the game feels a little sped-up. Starting a beginner race it was like the keystone kops and it took me a moment to acclimatise. I don't think there should have been any differences in the arcade versions? Like 50Hz slowdown in PAL territories? Played the arcade version a lot only a few days ago so not nostalgia goggles.

And view 2 (obviously the best view) seems to have a longer bonnet (hood) than the arcade game. Have they messed around with the field of view to get the 16:9 screen? That might explain the hood and the slightly different impression of speed.

I like the manual transmission mapping, just wish the PS3 controller had the buttons more lined up with where the gears would be, rather than a N/S/E/W layout. And the steering on the controller is very sensitive. I do ok by pushing forward on the left stick and then rolling it to give me more control over the inputs, but its still a bit twitchy for me.

I have a DFGT wheel which I'll try at the weekend, but how does that handle manual transmission, as it only has a sequential shifter which is clearly no good for gear drifts.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Trojan X said:
Also the handling lacked lots of depth in comparison with the original game. Daytona USA is the "TETRIS" of Driving games for a reason (best description is within my 4th post on this page: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449659&page=13 ) and the Dreamcast version didn't hold the cradle to that crown by using the same mechanics. If I can put it another way... the mechanics in Daytona USA is so good that are 18 years I am STILL discovering new racing lines, acceleration & gears techniques, and different forms of driving on courses I've played countless times. There are very few arcade driving games that provide that level of depth.

its odd, because its one of the first 3D racing games out there, and yet it nails arcade handling with depth incredibly well.

I do sometimes wish for more tracks though. The handling is untouchable and to apply that to new tracks would be fun

mrklaw said:
I have a DFGT wheel which I'll try at the weekend, but how does that handle manual transmission, as it only has a sequential shifter which is clearly no good for gear drifts.

It's easier to drift with the sequential shifter than no shifter, but yeah H-shifter is the way to go.

[rant]It amazes me how a game as old as this, is more of a "sim" than most contemporary arcade racers, Burnout, Driver, Motorstorm, Split/Second, Blur, etc. I hope people remember this next time an arcade racer comes out with no wheel support....[/rant]

Galdelico

Lazy8s said:
Just leaving the game on attract mode as I walk through the room makes me happy.

Beautifully colorful, 40 cars rushing by at a rock solid 60 fps... so nice to finally have at home.
So true.
I got it last night (XBLA) and the game is still totally amazing.

I know it's a porting and not a proper PS360 remake, but it would be awesome if SEGA could give the same treatmeant to Virtua Fighter series.

Hmm, maybe i'll take back what i said about the 360 versions controls. Though i'm yet to compare to the PS3 version, the 360 one is fine really, it just feels like you don't need half of the play on the analog stick. I'm having an absolute ball with this, being able to see the expert course properly vs the Saturn version, it feels so good to race around!

What happened here, 17 years waiting and this thread dies in a couple weeks! Thread needs a rolling start!

Last nite on 360 version for some reason it was failing to upload my records so i'm posting them here (also since globally methinks i don't have a chance!)
Overall time has plenty to improve on (first lap was a dud) but the second and best lap i think was pretty decent?...

Expert MT Time Trial
Lap: 1.41:62
Overall: 3.36:98

FreeMufasa

the androgyne said:
What happened here, 17 years waiting and this thread dies in a couple weeks! Thread needs a rolling start!

Last nite on 360 version for some reason it was failing to upload my records so i'm posting them here (also since globally methinks i don't have a chance!)
Overall time has plenty to improve on (first lap was a dud) but the second and best lap i think was pretty decent?...

Expert MT Time Trial
Lap: 1.41:62
Overall: 3.36:98

Waiting on an EU release has made a lot of us loose interest. SEGA fucked up big time there.

Top Bottom