• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DAYTONA USA |OT| This is your crew chief. You're in a rolling start...

Been enjoying this online, but a little frustrated that they didn't include the additional 5 tracks from the Dreamcast version. 3 tracks may be faithful to the original arcade game, but it's still light on content!

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I was always disappointed that none of the updates for this game ever added a track on-par with the original Expert course. Circuit Pixie was laughable. Was the Beginner track too tough for people or something?

Trojan X

Banned
Sixfortyfive said:
I was always disappointed that none of the updates for this game ever added a track on-par with the original Expert course. Circuit Pixie was laughable. Was the Beginner track too tough for people or something?

You said it right there. This is why I often end up giving myself the Jean Luke Picard face palm every time anyone mentions the Dreamcast version with a smile.

I do not rate the Dreamcast version of Daytona USA. If I want more tracks on the Xbox360/PSN version of Daytona USA (which I do) then I want each new track to match or surpass the original 3. If they do not surpass the originals then I do not want to know as I would prefer the developer not to include them. In honestly, the only thing the Dreamcast had going for it - other than numbers - was there were 2 good songs in the game (Rin Rin Rink: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9Kayw_v05w, Mermaid Lake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgOhkWFH5zc) but the song weren't memorable and they don't increase the intensity of the race like Daytona USA and Daytona USA 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpzvgQSHWpk).

Also the handling lacked lots of depth in comparison with the original game. Daytona USA is the "TETRIS" of Driving games for a reason (best description is within my 4th post on this page: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449659&page=13 ) and the Dreamcast version didn't hold the cradle to that crown by using the same mechanics. If I can put it another way... the mechanics in Daytona USA is so good that are 18 years I am STILL discovering new racing lines, acceleration & gears techniques, and different forms of driving on courses I've played countless times. There are very few arcade driving games that provide that level of depth.

All that is left for me to say is this: If you are going to make a sequel to Daytona USA then it must be done properly with the same core product "X" that the original developers has envisioned for Daytona USA or don't do it at all. Also, do not include any game features for the sake of having a feature because quality over quantity (numbers) is more important. This is why Daytona USA 2 is so damn incredibly awesome because the team behind it put their mind, heart and soul into the development of the game and really understood the X-factor of Daytona USA.

BTW - the best racing track I have seen lately is the new racetrack in that FORZA 4 demo. That track got SEGA "blue blu-skies" written all over it. That track is so well designed and it is so beautiful, memorable and exciting to race upon. I give Turn 10 two thumbs up for a great job on the course design of that track! If the game had more tracks of that quality then I would have purchased FORZA 4 in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, the final game does not and that is a massive shame because most of the other tracks lack that thrill factor in a great way.

Shaneus

Trojan X said:
BTW - the best racing track I've seen lately is the new race track in that FORZA 4 demo. That track got SEGA "blue blu-skies" written all over it. It's so well designed, beautiful, memorable and excellent to race upon. Great job Turn 10, I just wished they made more track like that and more in the game but they unfortunately didn't.
You're right. Thinking about it now, there's definitely a very "Scud Race" feel about it.

Trojan X

Banned
Shaneus said:
You're right. Thinking about it now, there's definitely a very "Scud Race" feel about it.

Ah yes, it's incredible like that Medium course in Scud Race. Both of them are beautiful in their own way but I feel Forza 4 clinch on this one because the scenery is so breath-taking, it makes me want to head to the snowy mountains to bear down and breath-in the refreshing cold air.

Trojan X

Banned
Shaneus said:

Seriously. If INDY 500 gets released on XBL together with 8 players then I'll buy it in a heartbeat for that game is crazily fast with some excellent controls which blends together to provide a great adrenaline rush sensation. I got quite a few F1 and Indy racing fans so they'll go insane for INDY 500 like I've shown in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYDUhfhxyNA

Branson

Just bought this tonight. Totally love it. Brings me back to when I would play it in the Arcades with my Dad watching over. I was surprised how well the game held up for me.

Shaneus

Trojan X said:
Seriously. If INDY 500 gets released on XBL together with 8 players then I'll buy it in a heartbeat for that game is crazily fast with some excellent controls which blends together to provide a great adrenaline rush sensation. I got quite a few F1 and Indy racing fans so they'll go insane for INDY 500 like I've shown in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYDUhfhxyNA
I've had the ultimate Indy 500 experience, just like at the start of this video.

Next:

Vracing.png

segarally.png

segarally1.jpg
segarally2.jpg

2333_1.png
16210202.png
16210201.png
SuperGT-2.jpg

Daytona_USA_2_Power_Edition_-_1998_-_Sega.jpg

gm-daytona_usa_2.jpg
daytona2.gif
ssm_daytona_2_web.jpg

Start the demand hype now.

Sega, get busy!

Tizoc

T^T Scud Race takes me back to those glorious days of childhood where I frequented the arcade every week.

Darvan

Gaf,

This game begs for a steering wheel for that true to arcade feeling, has anyone here bought the Hori wheel for the PS3 ? The price is nice ($60) but maybe I should just spend the extra money and get the logitech one. Your thoughts

CLEEK

herzogzwei1989 said:
So are the XBLA and PSN versions the same in every way?

I have the PS3 version, as I couldn't wait the extra day for the XBLA version. I downloaded the XBLA demo a few days later out of curiosity, just to see if there are differences.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned here, but I did find an immediate difference. The XBLA version's handling is worse. Where as the PSN handling is perfectly analogue and smooth, the XBLA is ever-so-slightly twitchy and digital. If I hadn't been playing the PSN version extensively, I might not have noticed it on the XBLA one.

It's no where near as bad as Daytona USA 2001, for example, but switching between the two and the XBLA handling is noticeably different. The PSN version is the one to get.

RC

Banned
Starting to get the hang of drifting and driving in manual a little more now. Although I still hit the wall on the last turn in beginner more often then not.
Getting through the beginner challenges was surpringly not that difficult. But the same can't be said about the other tracks. I need a lot more practice before I can even begin to tackle them.
And it's been really difficult to find someone to race againest on PSN. Usually I can't find anyone playing online.

GrayFoxPL

herzogzwei1989 said:
any idea how much Daytona has sold across PSN and XBLA ? I hope it's enough for Sega to concider porting the sequel.

Would like to know that too. The leaderboard list can shed some light on it.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Is there a list of compatible PS3 wheels somewhere for this title? I tried to get my Wingman Formula Force GP working, but no dice :\

mrklaw

MrArseFace
bishoptl said:
Is there a list of compatible PS3 wheels somewhere for this title? I tried to get my Wingman Formula Force GP working, but no dice :\

I think the official release only mentions the Driving Force GT.

How are the controls? Thats the thing that broke the game for me on Dreamcast, and I'm concerned how they have it playing on a controller. I have a DFGT but here I'm more concerned about the game breaking my wheel :) - its probably the most physical driving game I've ever played (in the arcades), and at home I tend to play more sim stuff, being gentle with my inputs.

east of eastside said:
Next:

*SCUD Race and Daytona USA 2 photos*

Start the demand hype now.

Guess what:

Model 3 emulator

It's only at alpha stage (0.2) but it can run Daytona USA 2 and SCUD race with sound, controller support including FFB at a decent speed (and future versions could include a dynamic recompiler for more performance, but it could be while until it's released)

Trojan X

Banned
I'm having another DAYTONA USA session tonight on XBL. I won't be recording this one so I'm afraid you won't see any hard battles on Youtube, but at least you would get to battle hard against me and friends.

I'll be on around 9pm GMT, look out for GamerTag, "Kenshirou X". Feel free to add me to your Xbox LIVE friends list. :)

GENTLEMEN... START YOUR ENGINE!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
guitarhero said:
Guess what:

Model 3 emulator

It's only at alpha stage (0.2) but it can run Daytona USA 2 and SCUD race with sound, controller support including FFB at a decent speed (and future versions could include a dynamic recompiler for more performance, but it could be while until it's released)

It really saddens to see that there are so many people in this thread who are unaware of SuperModel. You can basically play Daytona 2 and Scud in your living room all day every day. So many people asking for these games not even knowing it's right under their nose :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
aah.

We have some kind of celebration thing here at work today, and we have a tent full of arcade games, pool etc. Including 4-player F355 and 8-player Daytona! Spent ages on it and it brought memories flooding back - including how annoying broken gearsticks and failed FFB are.

So definitely up for some of this when it finally comes out on the euro PSN store.

(played the arcade version of GRID which was a lot of fun too, will look out for that on steam I think)

isamu said:
It really saddens to see that there are so many people in this thread who are unaware of SuperModel. You can basically play Daytona 2 and Scud in your living room all day every day. So many people asking for these games not even knowing it's right under their nose :(

I'm done with emulation *shrug*.

Lazy8s

The ghost of Dreamcast past
Just leaving the game on attract mode as I walk through the room makes me happy.

Beautifully colorful, 40 cars rushing by at a rock solid 60 fps... so nice to finally have at home.

Sixfortyfive

Trojan X said:
I'm having another DAYTONA USA session tonight on XBL. I won't be recording this one so I'm afraid you won't see any hard battles on Youtube, but at least you would get to battle hard against me and friends.

I'll be on around 9pm GMT, look out for GamerTag, "Kenshirou X". Feel free to add me to your Xbox LIVE friends list. :)

GENTLEMEN... START YOUR ENGINE!
I might be around a little after that.

GrayFoxPL

Speaking of dreamcast my favorite racers were

MetropolisSR, LeMans24 and Sega GT.

Guess rerelease is out of the question.

Trojan X

Banned
Lazy8s said:
Just leaving the game on attract mode as I walk through the room makes me happy.

Beautifully colorful, 40 cars rushing by at a rock solid 60 fps... so nice to finally have at home.

all-thumbs-up_0.jpg

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Para bailar La Bomba said:
I think it's all Logitech wheels, which includes all Fanatec wheels too.

H-shifter reportedly works.
Holy moly!

The wait is even more unbearable now!

Isamu, isn't the supermodel emu still not capable of giving arcade perfect 60fps without hiccups onScud and Daytona 2 afaik?

Iknos

Trojan X said:
I think one of the other guys said that the Xbox one has a better depth in colours and anti-aliasing but its marginal. Otherwise its a happy port all round.

People said the same about Dirt 3 and F1 2011 but the 360 versions are much much better than the PS3 ones.

Only got Daytona USA for the PS3 now so I haven't compared this game but when people say the difference is marginal it usually isn't.

Using Fanatec P911TS and it uses the H shifter. Never tried my G27 on it yet.

east of eastside said:

If your PS3 has backwards compatibility with PS2 games you can get Sega Classics collection it has Virtua Racing. I have it and it plays great.

Don't have the game myself but PS2 has Sega Rally 2000 I think it was called. It has the arcade port of Sega Rally 1. Play it on your PS3 and enjoy.

Now I'm not the type to care about sales numbers but I'm interested in how this did.

For one I want it to outsell Sonic 4. lol

But most importantly maybe Sega will think about doing more of this. I want Virtua Fighter 1 and 2 more than some of the other racers myself I never got into Super GT myself maybe because I only played it twice. There was one Sega Le Mans game I used to play the shit out of that in the arcades it had day/night cycles in it...so good.

Sixfortyfive

Bah. Work kept me busy yesterday afternoon. Feel free to invite/join me if you see me on Live this weekend.

I'm still trying to finish an Enudrance Type B race. Got close once and then the host decided to drop. :/

Dash Kappei said:
Isamu, isn't the supermodel emu still not capable of giving arcade perfect 60fps without hiccups on Scud and Daytona 2 afaik?

Nope. But what do you want, the emulator is still in ALPHA version (it's not even a beta version) and it's running those games:

1) At decent speed (a good computer can get around 50 FPS, specially on Time Trial)
2) With only moderate (at worst) graphical glitches

Just give Bart Trzynadlowski (main programmer, writes on the Supermodel forum) time, remember: this is a worked-on-little-free-time-available project that started in April. It will get better.

Top Bottom