• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Community Thread 4: "Your Portal to What's Hip and Happening in Sinnoh!"

We haven't had a good dub opening since Galactic Battle if I'm feeling generous, and Advanced Battle if I'm not.

There are many positives and negatives when comparing TPCi's stewardship of the dub to 4Kids, but the openings got indisputably worse.

Advanced Battle OP is probably the "latest" one that I am very positive on. That said, I don't outright dislike most of them... except maybe for the first DP OP, lol

x4EyqD5.gif

I am so fucking livid right now. Nintendo or GameFreak or whoever the fuck needs to put a filter in on GTS to edit out trading or receiving nickname Pokémon.

I've been trying to trade for a Tsareena and I've been getting the same nickname clone from the same user over and over.

Bouncee from OT Kihei and it's equipped with a bright powder Adamant nature. It never fails. No matter what Pokémon I put in I get this shit. This is my tenth one straight. I don't even un equip the bright powder and just release it.

Fuck this Kihei dick who won't fuck off!

I am so fucking livid right now. Nintendo or GameFreak or whoever the fuck needs to put a filter in on GTS to edit out trading or receiving nickname Pokémon.

I've been trying to trade for a Tsareena and I've been getting the same nickname clone from the same user over and over.

Bouncee from OT Kihei and it's equipped with a bright powder Adamant nature. It never fails. No matter what Pokémon I put in I get this shit. This is my tenth one straight. I don't even un equip the bright powder and just release it.

Fuck this Kihei dick who won't fuck off!
That's the ingame trade one from around Brooklet Hill.

CrimsonN0

Can anyone help me trade-evolve a few pokemon?

EDIT: Still wondering if anyone could help me evolve some pokemon...
EDIT:Alright, managed to find someone.

Pokemon GAF

I'm looking for a new nonmainline pokemon game. What do you guys recommend. Something on 3DS, thinking about the dungeon games but there are so many I don't know which to choose or which is good.

Upinsmoke

I have two kids four and six and they've recently started taking an interest in pokemon on the TV, they have a DS (plays 3ds games just not in 3d!) and I was wondering what's the best pokemon game to start them out on, seems like there is quite alot and I have absolutely no idea when it comes to how they all differ! Any help appreciated, thanks.

MANUELF

Banned
I have two kids four and six and they've recently started taking an interest in pokemon on the TV, they have a DS (plays 3ds games just not in 3d!) and I was wondering what's the best pokemon game to start them out on, seems like there is quite alot and I have absolutely no idea when it comes to how they all differ! Any help appreciated, thanks.
For ease of play the newest ones are the best option, the Best Pokémon game is Platinum though

AniHawk

it's kind of weird to me that for all the last gen systems there aren't any nostalgia / collector threads yet. sorry to come into your peaceful community to shill and advertise, but there is a voting thread going on over in here if you have any inclination of talking about your favorite game from this era. so far, pokemon is pretty well represented in the ds-only games, and there were a lot from this gen. strangely enough, nothing for any of the spinoffs - so no pokemon mystery dungeon, pokemon ranger, pokemon trozei: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1372848

i personally spent the most time with diamond/pearl. it's my most-played pokemon aside from the first gen... maybe second? i can't remember a whole lot about my playing habits around gen 2. i did a lot more post-game in gen 4 than i did for others though.

Busaiku

I would have thought more people had played the spinoffs :S
I actually avoided most of the spinoffs.
Tried out the free ones like Shuffle!, but prior to Pokémon Go, Pokémon Conquest was the only one I paid for.
Even during the 90s, I only got Trading Card Game.

There is quite a lot of reading to be done in the Pokemon titles as they are RPGs, but RPGs with the expressed purpose of being able to be understood by children. I started playing them with the first games at like 8 years old and had an easy enough time.

I would say the most recent games are the easiest to play for children as they do not require old school style exploration with little explanation or overly open ended places to go next. Newest games being Sun / Moon. I would also recommend X / Y, but not Alpha Sapphire / Omega Ruby because I think its a touch more complex than the other two.

Not sure about the spin offs since I'm looking into those now too heh.

Super PMD might be the first time I can recommend the series for the gameplay itself without listing a bunch of caveats.

There was an anime special around the time of the first Mystery Dungeon. I don't recall if it was actually popular or not, but nevertheless it didn't go further than that.

oh yeah, i saw the anime specials.... they're not good
a big budget disney cg movie on the other hand would be a perfect fit :) The game already does a lot of comedic writing with species tropes

instead we're getting Detective Pikachu o_o

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
MD setting apparently is canon through all MDs

There was an anime special around the time of the first Mystery Dungeon. I don't recall if it was actually popular or not, but nevertheless it didn't go further than that.

there was anime for the second MD too

then for the BW MD they had no anime, just a very short special

then no more anime for SMD

I'm more offended they used chikorita

chikorita is great tho
I don't even know what its supposed to be, but it has a necklace and leaf hair and tiny toe hooves.

and its voice doesn't sound like a chain smoker ie. bulbasaur :p

unfortunately if evolves into a brontosaurus and loses all of its appeal

I got Mystery Dungeon Blue when it came out since my friend got (and completed) Red. I tried so many times to get into it but the gameplay of the MD series doesn't appeal to me at all.

I never got much further than 3 hours in.

Looking at gameplay of SMD, the core gameplay looks pretty much the same.

If there was a demo, I'd give it a shot, but it looks like there's only a demo for Gates to Infinity. Even MD fans seem to dislike that game.

TBF Infinity shit the bed something fierce, but SMD is a return to form for the story alone. If you're not a fan of the series though, then I'd stay away.

GtI had some great music though if nothing else
It was just patronizingly easy and juvenile in every aspect

Looking at gameplay of SMD, the core gameplay looks pretty much the same.

If there was a demo, I'd give it a shot, but it looks like there's only a demo for Gates to Infinity. Even MD fans seem to dislike that game.

it is still the same kind of game. The changes to the UI and variables in gameplay thanks to things like Emera, Wands, Mid fight Evolutions, portable save points and stuff made it a lot more interesting for me and less repetitive.
in the older games you assigned one move to your character and thats all you had without going through menus, but now you can use all 4 moves, swap between party members and use the combo move for positioning and negating typing.

Id say its only just now coming out of its very niche appeal

Top Bottom