• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mark Rein teases Unreal Tournament comeback, [More Today]

This makes me think: What are the chances of a new UT title being on steam and having workshop support?

If it comes back I almost guarantee it. When Epic finally got UT3 on Steam they did say they were very happy with the sales it generated, and I think they added a whole bunch of Steamworks related stuff to that version too (including registering retail CD keys).

The Cowboy

Another issue UT3 had at the time was performance vs visuals, the game required quite a bit to run well and if you lowered the settings to make it run better - it then looked worse than a maxed out UT2004.

In effect, with the same hardware you could play UT2004 and have it not just running better than UT3, but also looking better.

Icefire1424

Oh mannnn, the wait for news on this actually physically hurts. If we're talking a new full entry in the Unreal series here, I will gladly get a new gaming rig for it.

Skyr

Oh mannnn, the wait for news on this actually physically hurts. If we're talking a new full entry in the Unreal series here, I will gladly get a new gaming rig for it.

ye i will swap my outdated rig in a blink of an eye if they deliver halfway what i imagine.

A bit of insane to do this because of one game, as im mainly a consolegamer these days.
But man its UT.. i invested a crazy amount of hours playing this game over the timespan of 8 years.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
UT3 was rushed to no end. It was published by Midway and they went under shortly after.
It had so many bugs, like completely broken audio on some maps where you could hear stuff right next to you that happened on the other side. Or I remember having to enter the CD-Key every single time I started it since it did some calculation with your network adress and mine changed a lot. It was just terrible. They also completely changed the menu, it looks very different now than it did, when it came out.

But it was in no way a bad game and it kind of achieved what many people wanted in that the gameplay was closer to UT1, but it still had the openess of stuff like Onslaught from 2004.

Whatever it is they are going to do, I'll be looking forward to it.

DryvBy

This would be a pretty big thing if it happens to jump back on the Sony platform. UT3 on the PS3 was actually a good port, especially with the Black patch. Mouse/Keyboard support game with player created levels. Pretty epic!

But anything will work. I'd prefer a full-blown legit game using UE4 and gameplay/gunplay like UT2004.

UT3 was rushed to no end. It was published by Midway and they went under shortly after.
It had so many bugs, like completely broken audio on some maps where you could hear stuff right next to you that happened on the other side. Or I remember having to enter the CD-Key every single time I started it since it did some calculation with your network adress and mine changed a lot. It was just terrible. They also completely changed the menu, it looks very different now than it did, when it came out.

But it was in no way a bad game and it kind of achieved what many people wanted in that the gameplay was closer to UT1, but it still had the openess of stuff like Onslaught from 2004.

Whatever it is they are going to do, I'll be looking forward to it.

Well this was true but when they patched, they fixed it.

JoelsGuitar

Neo Member
I was heavily invested in Unreal Tournament in my prime gaming days. I competed, made maps, mods, and put countless hours into every UT game that came out.

UT3 was a failure because it focused too much on trying to look pretty and less on trying to be a competitive arena shooter. Maps were small, tight and filled with unnecessary meshes that made them look cluttered. From what I remember, none of the stock maps were set up for competitive deathmatch play. Weapons felt clunky, specifically the shock rifle.

I'll admit it was nice to look at but after a month or two of its release, the community started dying off and for good reason. Graphics only get you so far.

Hasney

TF2 F2P is a fine model so if that were the case, I'm down. Make it fast and non-regen health and I'm happy.

Puru

All hype removed from my body.
Expectation set to be lower than humanly possible.

I'm ready for this.

Please be good!!!

akaoni

Banned
I see. Then

t1399572000z1.png

This has been a really long ass couple of hours already.

I just hope it doesn't look dumb, like how UTIII looked like Gears of War. I want it to look dumb like the original UT looked. That's my kind of dumb. For one thing, there's a lot more color.

Yuuichi

If it comes back I almost guarantee it. When Epic finally got UT3 on Steam they did say they were very happy with the sales it generated, and I think they added a whole bunch of Steamworks related stuff to that version too (including registering retail CD keys).

You don't have to think, they did, and it works great. I'm so ready for full workshop UT4.

I just hope it doesn't look dumb, like how UTIII looked like Gears of War. I want it to look dumb like the original UT looked. That's my kind of dumb. For one thing, there's a lot more color.

Yup, exactly what I want too. Ditch the useless attempt at a campaign while we're at it.

Top Bottom