• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hobbit trilogy - News, rumours and discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loxley

Here's a *big* photo of the CE contents:

JlGvyOT.jpg

Those Erebor bookends would go great with my Argonath ones from the Two Towers EE Collector's Edition, but $105 is quite steep, even for me.

raindoc

The Limited Collector’s Edition Blu-ray 3D Combo Pack includes two Gates of Erebor replica bookends

never bought a collector's edition of anything, but since i got a 3dHDTV half a year ago (upgrade from an old tube-tv) and since started growing a BR collection I think i'll get this for the book(br)ends - even though I was one of the few who left the theatre thinking AUE was the better movie.

Kuraudo

Banned
I've already set a precedent buying the vanilla release, so I'll end up doing so again. Thorin cover on the Collector's Edition is pretty cool, wish it was the standard cover.

Is there a way to watch the Hobbit films in High Frame Rate without watching it in cinemas?

Is it on Blu-Ray/DVD? Is there like a special option you can enable to watch it in High Frame Rate instead of the regular frame rate?

Loxley

Is there a way to watch the Hobbit films in High Frame Rate without watching it in cinemas?

Is it on Blu-Ray/DVD? Is there like a special option you can enable to watch it in High Frame Rate instead of the regular frame rate?

Unfortunately no to everything you asked :(

raindoc

this is actually a good question and i'm going to abuse it - other than "gravity", which i watched in IMAX3D (first & only), I never enjoyed 3D in the movie theatre. yet on my new TV, which just happened to have a 3D abillity, i've grown quite fond of it - can anybody relate?
is this due to the smaller screen (always felt like being too close to the screen in theatre, regardles of where i was sitting) or the active shutters in my TV's 3D goggles (as opposed to the passive tech used in theatres)?

I'll be buying the vanilla version again. Was really happy with the theatrical cut of the first one and it'll probably be the case with this one. The cover's a lot nicer this time as well, I really liked that poster.

DS-61-5

I wish there was a Negative EE for these fucking movies that actually subtracts scenes from them.

There is.

HO

LY

SHIT

I just saw The Arkenstone Edition of An Unexpected Journey (the fan edit) and it turns a good movie into a fantastic movie. A 7/10 to a 9/10.

Everything that I disliked about the movie has been cut, the pacing is fantastic, some of the missing songs from the score have been restored, and a few of the good scenes from the extended edition were even included to emphasize Bilbo.

On one hand, I'm glad someone showed how good a properly edited version can be, but on the other hand I'm even more disappointed in how poorly edited the original version is.

I honestly felt this version was on the same level as LOTR. Removing all that stupid crap really makes a difference.

Loxley

While I wasn't a huge fan of it myself, The Arkenstone Edition is definitely a good alternative version of AUJ for those who had a problem with its padding and pacing.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anything new about Desmond, anyone?

Loxley

Very slowly, due wholly to my lazy ass not doing any research. It's not in for another couple of months, but still...

My middle name may as well be "procrastination", so I know the feeling.

A small update on the Desolation of Smaug box office for those interested:

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug delivered Warner Bros. its largest-ever three-day box office takings in China as the film finally debuted there over the weekend.

Some media outlets speculate that the sudden popularity of The Hobbit in China is due to intense air pollution driving the populace indoors as the government advised people to limit outdoor activities. Others suggest that it’s because Chinese just really like dragons.

Consulting firm Artisan Gateway said the film earned around US $33.7 million between Friday and Sunday — some 75% more than the opening for An Unexpected Journey last year. At the current USD-Yuan exchange rate of 0.16 to the USD, that’s 210.625 million Yuan. According to the Wall Street Journal, “the cost of a movie ticket in China can range from 20 yuan to 100 yuan… depending on location. The average price in 2010 was around 40.40 yuan, or [US] $6.40.”

Assuming an average price per ticket of 40 Yuan, that would mean around 5.26 million Chinese watched The Desolation of Smaug over the weekend. That’s an awful lot of people, yet still only a fraction of the total population of the world’s most-populous nation.

From an initial US $18.7 million take in China, An Unexpected Journey went on to total $49.7 million last year. A similar result would see The Desolation of Smaug earn almost $90 million.

The total box office outside of North America for The Desolation of Smaug now sits at $637.1 million, and the film is yet to open in Japan — the world’s third-largest cinema market by value.

So far, The Desolation of Smaug has earned US $893 million worldwide, with US $256.6 million coming from North America.

A good result in China could push the worldwide box office past $960 million, but if Japan’s taste for Middle-earth has truly fallen away, then The Desolation of Smaug might fall just shy of the magic $1 billion mark.

The gold coins at the end of AUJ look awful compared to what we get in DOS. It shows because Joe Letteri said how they didn't have the tech ready yet.

Loxley

A lot of the CGI in that movie looks awful.

The only places in AUJ where I'd say the CGI was blatantly unfinished was the Radagast chase and the ending Erebor/Smaug shot. Every other effects-heavy sequence (the Erebor prologue, the Battle of Azanulbizar flashback, trolls, the stone giants, Goblin Town, and the final warg/tree climbing scene) I felt looked spectacular from a technical perspective.

Loxley

Empire briefly spoke with Philippa Boyens about There and Back Again:
Philippa Boyens may not have quite the name recognition of a Peter Jackson, but her role in the Rings trilogy and the subsequent Tolkien three-parter has been pivotal. The co-writer and producer, currently talking up The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug’s upcoming Blu-ray/ DVD release, boasts the most inside of tracks on the behemoth franchise as it rumbles towards its conclusion and shared it with Empire when we caught up with her.

“I can legitimately say right now that the third film doesn’t exist,” she stressed before the questions started rolling in. “Pete’s cutting it. As an entity, it’s coming together. Actually that’s not true - we have a rough assembly, so to speak, of the shape of the film and the performances. I am excited, because one of the storylines I care a lot about is the Thorin one."

Of course, The Desolation Of Smaug's cliffhanger ending left the leader of the Company of Dwarves in a state of increasing agitation, with the pressures of his quest and that massive great dragon hellbent on flaming destruction weighing heavily. And Boyens isn’t promising plain-sailing for the pint-sized royal anytime soon. “Richard Armitage is extraordinary, as Thorin descends into madness,” she said of The Hobbit: There And Back Again’s dwarfish denouement.

Asked about the reasons for that Lake-town cliffhanger, Boyens explained that as a “natural break” in the story it was “the most obvious place to end the second film”. She added: “It felt so natural that I got a shock when the audience got a shock! If you can imagine what transpires next and what’s coming, it’s quite a huge chunk of storytelling. Not only that, but you enter into the tone of the third film, which is very definitely - as is the book, by the way - moving towards the world of Middle-earth as it becomes in Lord Of The Rings. Some dark stuff goes on.”

And what of the dwarves' decision to make that most elementary of movie errors: splitting up? “We made that decision [so we would] experience the attack on Lake-town through the eyes of people we've come a long way with,” she said. “We wanted some of the dwarves to understand what happened in that firestorm, that holocaust that rains down upon Lake-town. Bofur (James Nesbitt) comes more into his own in the third film. A rift begins to open up. And I can’t say much more without going into spoilers for film three, but it’s primarily because we needed him to be there when the dragon attacks."

The third and final part of The Hobbit trilogy arrives with us on December 17. Head here for our soothsayer-style prediction of its likely fortunes.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/st...ction_type_map=["og.likes"]&action_ref_map=[]

Loxley

I thought that stuff looked REAL bad, like PS2 era CG bad, but I thought the problem was that HFR just made the special effects look cheaper. Is it that terrible looking in the 24 fps version, too?

Yeah, it looks bad. Not in every shot, but anytime they do a close-up it looks blatantly unfinished. I'm willing to bet it was a casualty of the hellish schedule Weta Digital are under - they've openly admitted that they've been finishing up VFX shots the day of the film's world premiere multiple times. Granted, it's a fairly minor effect up until Smaug takes a bath in it, but I guess it stood out even more since the rest of the CG in the film was - for the most part - stellar.

Yeah, it looks bad. Not in every shot, but anytime they do a close-up it looks blatantly unfinished. I'm willing to bet it was a casualty of the hellish schedule Weta Digital are under - they've openly admitted that they've been finishing up VFX shots the day of the film's world premiere multiple times. Granted, it's a fairly minor effect up until Smaug takes a bath in it, but I guess it stood out even more since the rest of the CG in the film was - for the most part - stellar.

It was the very last sequence that they worked on. I believe they had 3 weeks to do the whole forges scene. Insane.

Loxley

Looks as though filming for TABA is indeed finished, according to Richard Armitage.

http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/2014/03/28/jackson-prepares-farewell-middle-earth-0

There were rumors earlier this year that there would be one more round of pick-ups sometime in May, but it appears that's not the case. Jackson is screening an early cut of the film next week for New Line execs, according to the article. That falls in line with Philippa Boyens' comments from a few weeks back that Jackson was knee-deep in the middle of editing the film together.

Sushigod7

Hey does anyone have the link for the person who had a crazy LOTR collection? It was like a whole basement multiple rooms with replicas, statues etc. Was looking for that today can't find my links and can't remember which thread linked it.

On topic just watched Desolation of Smaug today, damn I thought it was amazing really excited for BR release hope Amazon drops the price on that collectors edition.

Loxley

Hey does anyone have the link for the person who had a crazy LOTR collection? It was like a whole basement multiple rooms with replicas, statues etc. Was looking for that today can't find my links and can't remember which thread linked it.

On topic just watched Desolation of Smaug today, damn I thought it was amazing really excited for BR release hope Amazon drops the price on that collectors edition.

I think I know which one you're talking about, I'm on my phone atm but I'll try to find it when I get a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom