• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halt And Catch Fire S3 |OT| Great Minds Don't Always Think Alike - Tuesdays 9/8c

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until Mr. Robot has a season as bad as season one of this show it will always be the superior of the two.

I totally get liking season two and what we've seen of season three so far over Mr. Robot though.

Tagg9

Until Mr. Robot has a season as bad as season one of this show it will always be the superior of the two.

I totally get liking season two and what we've seen of season three so far over Mr. Robot though.

I actually preferred season one of Halt and Catch Fire to season two. It seemed laser focused and I liked the character dynamics more. The second season felt like it was trying too hard to pivot and could never decide on the type of show it actually wanted to be. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

I actually really really like season three from what I've seen thus far, though.

Erevador

By what margin? I think they're both equally bad.

Likeable characters?

H&CF
S1 only had Karen. After S2 a few characters actually became people, but no one is a standout. Joe is a PoS and I hate him. Please die.

MR
Although not a likeable guy, Elliot is an interesting character sometimes, as well as Mr. Robot. Everyone else? Eh.
Characters can be interesting and compelling to watch without being (that dreaded word) "likeable."

So whats the under/over on Joe inventing the iPhone by the end of the season?

He's totally Jobs'ing it up right now.

Every season so far, Joe has always been one-upped by an actual real life company because he's just too scared to try something new.

This season, though, he's very clearly Doing Things.

I wouldn't be surprised if this season ends with him having an actual technological breakthrough.

Characters can be interesting and compelling to watch without being (that dreaded word) "likeable."

I don't think anybody in here has been consistently interesting to watch the whole series with the exception of Donna and Bos

The other 3 leads are kind of just irritating or boring to follow throughout various stretches of the show.

ezekial45

Banned
Tonight's episode was directed by Andrew McCarthy (Pretty In Pink, Weekend At Bernie's)

It's pretty great so far, I love the return visit to Texas.

Joe's
got AIDS, doesn't he?
That last scene with him on the phone was a bit ambiguous, but I get the feeling they're gonna go that route.

Tonight's episode was directed by Andrew McCarthy (Pretty In Pink, Weekend At Bernie's)

It's pretty great so far, I love the return visit to Texas.

Joe's
got AIDS, doesn't he?
That last scene with him on the phone was a bit ambiguous, but I get the feeling they're gonna go that route.

I don't think he does.

jerry113

Banned
The new opening credit's arrangements are freaking me out.

Decent episode, a breather where the characters reflect on themselves. Makes sense since it's the middle of the season.

This show is passing the Bechdel test with flying colors by the way. It all hinges on Donna and Cameron's interactions.

undrtakr900

I loved season 1, but missed season 2, currwntly watching season 3 and love it too.

Is there anywhere I can watch all of season 2?

olympia

i really like all the characters on this show. i think they're all great. cam, donna, bos and gordon are all interesting and sympathetic characters

i think joe is still my fave though. lee pace looks too fucking good with the beard

big ander

"You anchor me." god, that ruined me.

Best ep of the season so far, and the season itself is on the same level as the last one. The phone convo at the end sort of bugged me—I so wanted Donna to bring it up during the heart-to-heart—the ring reveal put enough of a spin on it. And the key factor to me is that I expect the conflict to be resolved in some way. It'll boil over and cause problems but I truly believe Cam and Donna's relationship is too strong for it to explode over this one very understandable betrayal. (Really hope I'm not wrong on that.)

Same goes for Donna and Gordon's marriage. This show has never felt like it's building up to some big ugly divorce. They fundamentally love each other...but occasionally Donna will hurt Gordon deeply while she's baked and rambling, or Gordon's obsessiveness and oversensitivity and beta male complex will cause him to lash out at Donna. Ditto Cam and Bos—that fight in the car was heartbreaking and they were both wrong and I am sure in three episodes they'll make amends because they love each other.

Balancing base-level optimism, showing that everyone is genuinely just trying their hardest, with compelling dramatic conflict is hard as hell. Nobody here is deluded or avenging, they're just understandably withholding and pressured. This season even has me believing that Joe is sincerely trying—I can't say I love his and Ryan's stuff yet, and I think playing that song* over the diagnosis and then making it look like a negative one is going to turn into a twist (he's going to turn out to be HIV+ but consider that sort of deadline a benefit in terms of getting inspired and not giving a shit about the board?) but when he went to the programming course and talked to Cameron I felt like we were truly seeing a guy who is trying to be better. Can't wait for the second half of the season.

*First time I can recall being able to pick out an anachronistic song when "New Misery" by Cullen Omori was playing. Didn't love that album precisely because it felt so unadventurous and rooted in imitating antiquated styles, but that made it fit well in the show's soundtrack. Also "Train in Vain" during Donna and Gordon's staycation was sublime.

ezekial45

Banned
I heard that the next episode is supposedly a MAJOR turning point for the season. I can't wait. S3 has been fucking stellar.

I wonder what it could be. I'd rather none of these relationships be destroyed tbh. Its just ups and downs but I don't believe anybody has done anything that could permanently destroy what they all have either

It's probably aids

What a terribly paced episode.
Joe Jobs could be HIV+ positive. Rather than reveal that at the start of the episode, play around with Joe reflecting on things, play around with the character and reveal his diagnosis at the end of act 2 (which was fair enough), it happens and it's over in practically an instant. We get a sob and some half eaten Chinese food.

It's like the team didn't want to explore any of that.

The telephone call from Cam to Diane was terribly handled too. I understand what they were trying to do, but it was so shoe-horned in. I did like the framing of the headlights on Cameron on her realization of what happened...

All in all, a filler episode with some foreshadowing of ladies conflict and Tom coming back... I guess Tom will be the new Donna? :)

Camerons childish shtick is wearing very thin for me

That's been her character since episode one.

But yes. Her tragic flaw has always been an unfiltered naive outlook on the world. She thinks she's a "Pure Artist"; she doesn't even realize that she's a businesswoman.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
New episode today!

And She Was

Tensions rise over an offer to buy Mutiny; and Donna has a weekend alone, while Gordon and Cam bond over video games. Meanwhile, Joe has a standoff with the board.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I have shamed myself and re-confirmed that I'm a terrible thing.

MEAxs3w.png

ezekial45

Banned
why aren't more people watching this shit

its actually really good

We've been asking that for the last two years. I'm thankful that AMC recognizes the quality here and has kept it going, but this season is getting the lowest ratings of the series, which is also the lowest for any AMC original drama.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Ratings:

Season 1:

Episode 1: 1.19 million
Episode 2: 970K
Episode 3: 765K
Episode 4: 844K
Episode 5: 575K
Episode 6: 717K
Episode 7: ??
Episode 8: 627K
Episode 9: 549K
Episode 10: 574K

Season 2:

Episode 1: 659K
Episode 2: 494K
Episode 3: 452K
Episode 4: 451K
Episode 5: 543K
Episode 6: 558K
Episode 7: 499K
Episode 8: 497K
Episode 9: 588K
Episode 10: 485K

Season 3:

Episodes 1 & 2: 339K
Episode 3: 397K
Episode 4: 312K
Episode 5: 324K
Episode 6: 280K

(the sneak preview of the first episode of the season 3 premiere that AMC tried to trick Fear the Walking Dead fans into watching on Sunday netted 367K viewers)

br3wnor

I am buying my episodes individually on google play, that will help right? RIGHT!?!?

Sadly, I think this will be the last season.

It's amazing we got 3 seasons as it is, given the ratings. I feel bad I haven't watched this season but I'm finally catching up on demand this week and will be DVRIng the rest of the episodes.

But who knows, AMC really has nothing right now besides TWD so maybe this show has enough prestige and the cost is low enough were they approve a 4th season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
But who knows, AMC really has nothing right now besides TWD so maybe this show has enough prestige and the cost is low enough were they approve a 4th season.

They have Into the Badlands, Fear the Walking Dead, Better Call Saul, Preacher, Humans, etc.

Not that I necessarily think AMC will cancel the show without giving it a proper ending, but at the same time it's not like they need the show either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom