• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERBEAT: XONiC |OT| Back to The DJMAX Roots - Now on PS4/XB1!

Perfect timing for Sony Entertainment Network maintenance.

k7FwcLI.jpg

It is absolutely amazing how well your avatar fits for just about any post.

Deft Beck

I think it's great that PM Studios is encouraging people to stream the game on Twitch. Sure, you need to use a passthrough to get through the PS TV's HDCP encryption, but it's a far cry from Atlus issuing takedowns for Persona 4: DAN videos or Square-Enix not allowing people to stream Dragon Quest Heroes footage with the music.

Both of the latter situations are probably in part due to contractual issues with some of the licenses; since Superbeat is primarily original songs, I suppose that Nurijoy is covered. Still, their attitude is refreshing.

I think it's great that PM Studios is encouraging people to stream the game on Twitch. Sure, you need to use a passthrough to get through the PS TV's HDCP encryption, but it's a far cry from Atlus issuing takedowns for Persona 4: DAN videos or Square-Enix not allowing people to stream Dragon Quest Heroes footage with the music.

Both of the latter situations are probably in part due to contractual issues with some of the licenses; since Superbeat is primarily original songs, I suppose that Nurijoy is covered. Still, their attitude is refreshing.

I'm fairly sure P4DAN songs are originals and work for hire, not licenses.

FluxWaveZ

Should have went with the DL version instead of physical. It would have been cheaper, and I'll only be getting my copy tomorrow or the day after. Ah well.

Dantero

Tried the first level 10 mission...
Fade in is evil. Switching to the analog sticks in time is damn near impossible at my current level. It also took me way too long to realize you can use either up/triangle or left/circle to hit the top note in 4 tracks.
Pretty fun so far. I do really miss the key sounds being actual notes of the song and the the old videos.
If this turns out to be popular maybe the next game will have a higher budget and these things might be in again.

Falk

that puzzling face
That prevented me from buying from the webshop earlier, but buying from the PSN Store app on the Vita worked fine.

So I waited patiently for 6 hours for SEN web to come back up.

And then I discovered the fact that PSVITA PSN has a beautiful feature called "Billing Information" cleverly hidden in the bottom right corner that allows redeeming PSN cards.

Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp.

Messiah

So I waited patiently for 6 hours for SEN web to come back up.

And then I discovered the fact that PSVITA PSN has a beautiful feature called "Billing Information" cleverly hidden in the bottom right corner that allows redeeming PSN cards.

Derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp.

I'll just refer to this post:

k7FwcLI.jpg

It is absolutely amazing how well your avatar fits for just about any post.

Did the UK retail release get a last second delay? =x

I had it pre-ordered from a UK site since the Australian release is no doubt fucked (pushed into December/canned) but it still hasn't shipped, and their new release date is TBA.

(What's the BlazBlue song?)
Heavy Day. It's labeled in the track list, lol

I believe it's the game's main theme.

Did the UK retail release get a last second delay? =x

I had it pre-ordered from a UK site since the Australian release is no doubt fucked (pushed into December/canned) but it still hasn't shipped, and their new release date is TBA.

Yes, retail got delayed to 11/20 in UK.

zeioIIDX

SUPERBEAT: XONiC get! Been a huge fan of the DJ Max series and have all of them on PSP plus Trilogy on the PC so I can't wait to try this out and see how it compares. Couldn't find it in stores (Biloxi, MS) so I ended up going digital just like I did with Technika Tune. Intro movie just ended so it's time to give it a go now!

jacargon

Neo Member
I can't for the life of me get the analogue DS4 sticks to hit the drag notes, any tips on how to make these works? There's no feedback and everything I try fails :(

Falk

that puzzling face
Also, props for having an OG Vita.

Moe machine.

(You don't want to see what's on my previous page rofl)

15-min in first impressions:

- Holy heck this really is sleek-looking. Streams do it no justice
- I'm in that awkward phase where I'm learning how to read (never really got into MaiMai nor Cyclon) and can't wait to start doing harder difficulties
- Seems another 'casualty' of going from keysounds to stereo tracks is that a lot of the chart now correspond to vocals. It's a pet peeve of mine, although it works just fine in this context and other music games have been doing this for ages. (Just can't shake that Stepmania stigma, personally) Presumably it gets better on more difficult charts though, so I'm not complaining just yet ;p
- Nauts, M2U, Makou, 3rd Coast ;____;
- In practice, now that I'm actually playing loss of keysounds and BGA doesn't really bug me. If anything, I'm more annoyed with the hit sounds. I -know- if I pressed early/late, don't need the game to tell me :|. Will mess around in Options later. (edit: Derp, right there on the song select page. ALRIGHT)

Definitely see myself sinking a -lot- of time into this. Wa-a-ay more than Technika Tune.

Falk

that puzzling face
I can't for the life of me get the analogue DS4 sticks to hit the drag notes, any tips on how to make these works? There's no feedback and everything I try fails :(

Not sure if it's any different on DS4, but only the direction matters for both the flick and drag notes, and only up and down. Like if it starts at the top and moves down, you want to hit the analog stick down for the duration of the note.

Yuuichi

My protips from being able to clear most of the 10's I've seen so far:

Swipe notes always come from the direction to be hit (IE up is always in the top lane) UNLESS they are holds, then the opposite seems to hold.

Shield is your friend.

Himawari is probably the best song to grind to 99999 combo I've found yet, 1049 notes a play at 9* difficulty.

Remember to use high speed to make things more readable at higher difficulties.

macklelol

Himawari is probably the best song to grind to 99999 combo I've found yet, 1049 notes a play at 9* difficulty.

Stargazer on 4T is a 1077 combo and is a 8*. Dunno if any other song gives more combo on 4T, but I do have some songs to unlock still.

Anyways, I'm really enjoying the game even though 6FX is wrecking me lol.

jzbluz

The game crashed on me, but hopefully that's a one time occurrence. Anyway, this game is a lot more forgiving than the DJMax games I've played, which is fine by me since I'm not that good with rhythm games.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Did it crash when you were checking the Play Count, because that seems to happen for most people.

I literally jumped out of my bed when I saw this thread first.
DJMAX Portable for PSVita? Finally a reason to get one!
Then I realized how different it is from the portable series and how much time it would probably take to get to a competent level, even for a veteran like me who used play all the portable games on max difficulty and 6B/8B mode.
Guess I'm gonna pass on this, but if I were to have a Vita, I'd definitely get this game.

Probably the only one who is going to wait till December for a physical copy.. man why Australia.
Hopefully I'll be able to find a copy by then, physical vita games are literally non-existent anymore here...
In the mean time I should clear up some games to make space on my vita for next year's releases.

Vita is alive and kicking!!!

Falk

that puzzling face
I literally jumped out of my bed when I saw this thread first.
DJMAX Portable for PSVita? Finally a reason to get one!
Then I realized how different it is from the portable series and how much time it would probably take to get to a competent level, even for a veteran like me who used play all the portable games on max difficulty and 6B/8B mode.
Guess I'm gonna pass on this, but if I were to have a Vita, I'd definitely get this game.

You know, I bought a PSP for Clazziquai/Black Square (no regrets), a 3DS for Theathrythm (... bad return of investment tbqh) and a Vita for Technika Tune (another kinda-bad return on investment. Great games, low skill cap, really)

I never learn lol.

More to the point, it really, REALLY plays like DJMAX, although you'll need to re-learn how to read charts. In the end, it's 3 buttons plus trigger on each side, just in a different orientation. The analog sticks play a lot like in Theathrythm, but are actually easier to read.

You know, I bought a PSP for Clazziquai/Black Square (no regrets), a 3DS for Theathrythm (... bad return of investment tbqh) and a Vita for Technika Tune (another kinda-bad return on investment. Great games, low skill cap, really)

I never learn lol.

More to the point, it really, REALLY plays like DJMAX, although you'll need to re-learn how to read charts. In the end, it's 3 buttons plus trigger on each side, just in a different orientation. The analog sticks play a lot like in Theathrythm, but are actually easier to read.

Black Square was amazing...

Thanks for the insight. How long did it take you to get accustomed to the new chart layout?

Falk

that puzzling face
Black Square was amazing...

Thanks for the insight. How long did it take you to get accustomed to the new chart layout?

I've played this for about 2 hours. I can pretty much nail simultaneous combinations of both hands (some charts do a lot of of this to throw you off)

What I'm still having problems with are alternating left-right-left-right hand streams of notes. It's hard for me right now to judge at a glance which side comes first (as opposed to having all of them lined up which makes it easy to see relative timings of notes), something that's going to come naturally further on, I guess. I mean, Cyclon and MaiMai have been around pretty long and people seem to have gotten quite proficient at those games (understatment, heh)

Rephin

I got my LE copy on Monday and I hadn't been keeping up on the title since I ordered it. Boy was I surprised to see Guilty Gear Xrd's "Heavy Day" unlock at level 10. Love that song.

Anyway, this game is my new addiction. It's kind of the same feeling I got almost a decade ago playing DJMAX Portable on the PSP. I can't put it down and I love it, even though I'm having to relearn how to read the incoming notes. I think P4DAN helped with the face button layout, but the analog stick notes are the only problem I'm having. At least I'm slowly getting the hang of them.

Selrach

Neo Member
Just had to come back and thank Gaf, best impulse buy in ages. I'm completely new to this style of game having only played a couple rhythm games on my pc years ago, but I enjoyed the few that I played and knowing some of the guilty gear xrd ost was going to be in made me jump in head first and I'm having a great time.

Falk

that puzzling face
I can't get over how good the soundtrack is.

Like seriously, I was actually slightly apprehensive after the relative disappointment that Portable 3 was, and how ani-pop heavy Technika 3 became.

I mean yeah, there's still a lot of that carried over (that Tsukasa song which is literally Shining My Boy lol), but the diversity is back in full force.

I've played this for about 2 hours. I can pretty much nail simultaneous combinations of both hands (some charts do a lot of of this to throw you off)

What I'm still having problems with are alternating left-right-left-right hand streams of notes. It's hard for me right now to judge at a glance which side comes first (as opposed to having all of them lined up which makes it easy to see relative timings of notes), something that's going to come naturally further on, I guess. I mean, Cyclon and MaiMai have been around pretty long and people seem to have gotten quite proficient at those games (understatment, heh)

One thing I did like about Dancing All Night was there were more visual cues for this kind of thing, since every note had a faint ring that you could use to judge timing visually. (Of course, I wonder if that was added in due to how poorly those charts match up with the music sometimes, which thankfully isn't a problem in Xonic.)

Falk

that puzzling face
I dunno, I actually found that pretty useful as a transitioning DJMAX vet considering that's how the 3 lanes were colored too - center lane gets a different color vs the surrounding two.

nah, maimai does the same thing for simultaneous notes. i think it's helpful to have, but i can't say that i've really had much of a problem with it here. 1. that's what speed modifiers are for and 2. everything is well charted enough that after the initial realization that i'm really not sure whether they're alternating or simultaneous, it's pretty easy to judge based off of what's going on with the music

Well, yeah, that does require knowing the music beforehand. Not really a problem long-term, but still it's not as easy to sightread as IIDX/O2Jam/DDR/classic DJMAX/etc. linear layout.

I'm pretty sure people will ultimately adjust like MaiMai and Cyclon, or heck, going from classic to Technika, but it simply isn't as efficient from purely a gameplay perspective. Not meaning to open a can of worms discussion, but it's analogous to M&KB vs sticks for FPS. One simply is mechanically superior.

(That being said, not every game has to be laid out the same way, and this game really, really oozes style, in no small part thanks to its layout)

nah, maimai does the same thing for simultaneous notes. i think it's helpful to have, but i can't say that i've really had much of a problem with it here. 1. that's what speed modifiers are for and 2. everything is well charted enough that after the initial realization that i'm really not sure whether they're alternating or simultaneous, it's pretty easy to judge based off of what's going on with the music

I dunno, I actually found that pretty useful as a transitioning DJMAX vet considering that's how the 3 lanes were colored too - center lane gets a different color vs the surrounding two.
i dont really look at the lanes. i use the colors because i'm focused on one side. and when i see green i think it's bottom but it's top lol. then everything shits itself when i miss it lol.

6 track needs a new color. i thought there would be 3 color. but they used blue an green for all 3 lanes. RIP.
The middle lane is a unique color and you can tell the other two lanes apart by position. I don't think more is necessary.

If you hadn't noticed, notes that are meant to be hit simultaneously have a glow to them. More subtle than P4DAN's implementation, but I think it works.

Top Bottom