• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERBEAT: XONiC |OT| Back to The DJMAX Roots - Now on PS4/XB1!

Falk

that puzzling face
If you hadn't noticed, notes that are meant to be hit simultaneously have a glow to them. More subtle than P4DAN's implementation, but I think it works.

The glow really helps, but it doesn't quite solve the problem with streams. Maybe I should just find how to activate the Random modifier (I assume the game has one) and then play a bunch of songs with 16th streams and brute force myself into getting used to it, heh.

If you hadn't noticed, notes that are meant to be hit simultaneously have a glow to them. More subtle than P4DAN's implementation, but I think it works.

i totally didn't notice it, lol. huh

just tried playing a track and i see it now, but still not really readily picking them out. ah well, never really had much of a problem in the first place and i'll have an easier time noticing they're there now that i know what i'm looking for.

oldmario

slightly off topic but does anyone still have the platinum patch file for black square? i figured sinced most people are djmax fans here someone might

Falk

that puzzling face
Unlocked 6BFX

Time to get murdered

If I stop posting pls send ambulance

edit: I just realized something that is just about as cool if it was intentional or unintentional - 4 TRAX has a triangle-shaped motif (pyramid has 4 sides) and 6 TRAX has a square-shaped motif (cube has 6 sides)

And uh, 6TFX has hexagons because

uh

yeah

i got nothing

What I'm still having problems with are alternating left-right-left-right hand streams of notes.

I can't get the timing right for these sequences either. Been working on the end sequence of One Juicy Step since last week, and still haven't gotten through it once.

The fact is that missing one will throw the timing on the rest out of whack, and it's very hard to recover if your timing was early.

Falk

that puzzling face
5 hour mark impressions: 6TFX is everything I imagined it to be. Holy cow.

The analog sticks add a flavor reminiscent of Theatrhythm and similar, except now it's both hands doing it.

Still gonna be a long road getting completely acclimatized to the layout. Streams remain a moderate problem unless I've played the chart many times and can recall if the first note is left or right hand.

Also in harder charts, I tend to autopilot and accidentally hit up or triangle for the blue notes just out of force of habit. Heh.

Reassessed opinion of BGA: I like what the game is going for. The difference between playing Heavy Day and the other tracks is not a subtle one. I mean, yeah, no one can really deny the fact that it's simply a lot more economical to do these than fully animated BGA, but in the end, it supports the gameplay and the music and that's all that matters. Chalk it up to half an aesthetic and half a practical choice that works out. When you had amazing talent like D working on the game, DJMAX tracks were honestly half about the music, and half about the BGA. Now that the visualizations are literally there solely to support the music, it's all about the music now. And again, I can't stress how amazing this setlist is (crossover from Cyclon and all). It probably ranks right on top of any DJMAX soundtrack for me, edging out Portable 2 and Black Square.

Losing keysounds, I'm still not too keen about, but having spent two years of my life chopping up multitracks into note sounds with O2Jam, I can relate to the struggle, so whatever.

In terms of music: I know a lot of the nostalgia draw of the game are the returning composers from DJMAX, but the additions and guest tracks are all kinds of awesome, from Heavy Day (lol) to Collaboration.

And I'm really, really glad that a lot of the music is making its way out of the limited exposure of an arcade game (Cyclon) into a slightly-less-limited exposure of the VITA userbase. You can import a VITA, worst case. You can't magic an arcade into existence within travelling distance. (RIP Technika 3's soundtrack. Mobile DJMAX doesn't count kk)

Yuuichi

Stargazer on 4T is a 1077 combo and is a 8*. Dunno if any other song gives more combo on 4T, but I do have some songs to unlock still.

Anyways, I'm really enjoying the game even though 6FX is wrecking me lol.

I disappeared to 6fx as soon as I unlocked it, lol. When you're used to a much harder set of games you just crave the challenge.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Just wait until you have to deal with Stargazer in World Tour, jeeeeeezzzz.

Speaking of which, it appears a new one will appear each 5 levels (& then I assume every 10 later on), which was soooo much more consistant than what DJMAX Portable 3 did.

Seriously, aside from the 99,999 combo AGAIN, they pretty much fixed everything that I disliked about the DJMAX series, mainly the extremely tedious grind for stuff to be unlocked.

Falk

that puzzling face
Seriously, aside from the 99,999 combo AGAIN, they pretty much fixed everything that I disliked about the DJMAX series, mainly the extremely tedious grind for stuff to be unlocked.

Man Portable 3.

I worked so hard to unlock the last song.

And then I realized I was too burnt out to even enjoy it.

NEO0MJ

I was so ready to order this game it it appears I lost my Vita :(

I don't know where I left it. Probably at a friends house or car. Until I find it I won't risk buying this.

I can't wait much longer for the PAL version of this. ;_;

Man Portable 3.

I worked so hard to unlock the last song.

And then I realized I was too burnt out to even enjoy it.

Holy shit I forgot all about that. Portable 3 was such a massive disappointment to me. Still, Xlasher, IF and Waiting For the Sun are god tier. Just a shame none of them had really hard charts (aside from the awkwardness of the remix system...)

It's funny that I've had the game for two weeks yet I've not even played it enough to unlock Heavy Day. I wish I had more time to play games.

Please keep posting impressions so I can live vicariously through you guys!

pariah164

What the hell, mission.

I played the 'Entrance 6' mission, and got a 600+ combo with a combined 2 songs. However, it did not register it, and claimed my max combo was 559. What gives?]

What the hell, mission.

I played the 'Entrance 6' mission, and got a 600+ combo with a combined 2 songs. However, it did not register it, and claimed my max combo was 559. What gives?]

I think the max combo only gets saved after each song. Easiest way I can explain is with an example:

Song 1: All combo, 400 notes = 400 max combo
Song 2: All combo, 350 notes = 750 max combo
Song 3: 125 notes hit, then a break, then 300 notes hit = still 750 max combo, because the 125 notes you hit before the break don't get added to your between-songs total.

That's how it seemed to work for me when I was doing the hard mission in the first nightclub, anyway.

pariah164

I think the max combo only gets saved after each song. Easiest way I can explain is with an example:

Song 1: All combo, 400 notes = 400 max combo
Song 2: All combo, 350 notes = 750 max combo
Song 3: 125 notes hit, then a break, then 300 notes hit = still 750 max combo, because the 125 notes you hit before the break don't get added to your between-songs total.

That's how it seemed to work for me when I was doing the hard mission in the first nightclub, anyway.
Oh for fucksake. Guess I'll just do that mission again later.

Roubjon

That magical feeling of learning a new rhythm game. I'm really enjoying it so far and getting better pretty quickly. Shit can get confusing with the analog sticks and the holds and streams of notes, but I'll eventually get it. Those leaderboards are speaking to me.

jacargon

Neo Member
Not sure if it's any different on DS4, but only the direction matters for both the flick and drag notes, and only up and down. Like if it starts at the top and moves down, you want to hit the analog stick down for the duration of the note.

I eventually figured it out, but thanks, you nailed this!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Omg I got a 91% judgment on the Normal mission of the WOMB stage. JUST BARELY passed.

......so why the hell is the EASY mission harder?

Edit: Blarg, 91% on the Hard mission & I need 95%. Least I'm finally in the 90s range. Edit 2: HOW THE HELL HAVE I GOTTEN THE EXACT SAME PERCENTAGE 4 TIMES IN A ROW.

Messiah

Omg I got a 91% judgment on the Normal mission of the WOMB stage. JUST BARELY passed.

......so why the hell is the EASY mission harder?

Edit: Blarg, 91% on the Hard mission & I need 95%. Least I'm finally in the 90s range. Edit 2: HOW THE HELL HAVE I GOTTEN THE EXACT SAME PERCENTAGE 4 TIMES IN A ROW.

I felt like there were some stages were the easier missions were actually harder to achieve.

Does gaf prefer buttons or touch?

I'm playing with buttons.

I can't put this game down.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm actually curious to the split too. I'm thinking a far heavier slant towards buttons than Theatrhythm :V

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I prefer touching the buttons.

Finally reached level 50 & FINALLY got 5.1.5.0. Hoping the chart is as fun as the song is as great. Just about got half of the DJ icons as well

Also MEGATON: if you lose your combo in Free Style during a song, quickly quick the song & go back to song select. YOU'LL KEEP THE PREVIOUS COMBO YOU HAD BEFORE STARTING THE SONG.

I prefer touching the buttons.

Finally reached level 50 & FINALLY got 5.1.5.0. Hoping the chart is as fun as the song is as great. Just about got half of the DJ icons as well

Also MEGATON: if you lose your combo in Free Style during a song, quickly quick the song & go back to song select. YOU'LL KEEP THE PREVIOUS COMBO YOU HAD BEFORE STARTING THE SONG.

Oh wow, you don't even need to exit the game? This'll make 99999 a much less tedious endeavor.

Falk

that puzzling face
What are the reqs for unlocking in Freestyle?

I'm thinking I might as well get the 99999 grind out of the way now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I think basically clear the song in 4TRAX/6TRAX/6TRAX FX to unlock it in Freestyle. It's gonna be a bit of a pain to tell which songs I've already cleared since you only get the rating information in the arcade mode & Play Count will crash the game since you need to clear every song on every pattern for a trophy.

After 5 days of practice, I conquered that alternating sequence at the end of One Juicy Step and got the All Combo.

Now I can actually play other songs again.

I would probably have never noticed that.

Falk

that puzzling face
Alright, I'm -still- hitting up or triangle on instinct for the blue notes. Too many years of that being ingrained.

I'm just going to go back to 6T, and spam difficulty 6-8 songs with Random till I completely burn that out of my system.

edit: Narrowed it down to spamming Boomerang 6T Random over and over and it's slowly solving my reading issues, especially for streams. Might as well do the 99999 grind on this track on Random.

\o/

bigmac996

Loving this game, wow. Needs more attention for sure. I wasn't crazy about P4D but I'm loving this. Actually find using the touch screen is easier than button inputs in this one, surprisingly. Easier to hit those arrow notes too.

Those that are on the fence, if you dug DJ Max, you'll love this.

DooMAGE

Loving this game, wow. Needs more attention for sure. I wasn't crazy about P4D but I'm loving this. Actually find using the touch screen is easier than button inputs in this one, surprisingly. Easier to hit those arrow notes too.

Those that are on the fence, if you dug DJ Max, you'll love this.

Sadly there is no keysounds on this game, even the mobile releases of DJMAX has keysounds.

Dantero

I feel so dirty using a 20 break shield. Still going to use it for missions, though...
Can't believe how bad I am at this. Used to be able to clear anything in 4B and 6B in the portables and trilogy. Now I can't even do level 5 songs without breaks.

tba

Enjoying the game even more than I thought I would.

The only things that bug me a little are the inability to change equipment in World Tour, and the fact that I have to use touchscreen to select equipment in Stage Mode

guybrushfreeman

Unconfirmed Member
No break sounds feels so weird. When I miss a note it feels like the button didn't work rather than I pressed it at the wrong time. It's taking some getting used to I guess. Otherwise I'm loving pretty much everything. The challenges are a fun addition and 6TRAX FX is enjoyable although it ramps up in difficulty really quickly. Just need to play more I guess. Also I can't imagine using touch. Is there anyone really trying the harder stuff that way?

Falk

that puzzling face
I'd say touch outside FX is a lot more intuitive, and it's a lot easier to swap between regular notes and flicks/drags. However the lack of tactile feedback really, really hurts accuracy on 8s and higher for me.

And 6TFX just feels messed up on touch as far as I'm concerned. feels so weird having a completely different action for the triggers alongside the gentle caress of the touchscreen's glass on your fingertips.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Found the "Dog Bite" SFX required for the trophy, it's the Normal mission (& rather easy) when you reach level
in World Tour. Seems a bit random, though I'm guessing the "Bang Vox" one is gonna be the final mission in World Tour

Though damn, missions where you HAVE to get so many breaks don't seem doable on Hard, especially when one requires a whopping 40.

WHY THE BLOODY HELL DO I KEEP GETTING A 91% JUD. EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN' TIME I PLAY THE LV. 35 HARD MISSION OF WORLD TOUR!?!?!?

Edit: Of course after saying this, I tried upping the speed to 2.5 to help read certain sections better & now I'm at 93%. Getting closer, but damn, I want to be done with this mission & move on.

Top Bottom