• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SUPERBEAT: XONiC |OT| Back to The DJMAX Roots - Now on PS4/XB1!

Yasumi

Banned
Finally got a full combo on 6Trax Juicy First Step
with 6/12 of my shield left
. Next goal is Heavy Day, I'm super-close.

Messiah

Having somewhat trouble hitting trigger notes and analogue stick notes at the same time. I think I need to adjust how I hold my Vita. Executing these parts feels kinda uncomfortable the way I am playing now.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
That's really the one thing I'm still trying to learn. It's a weird thing my brain can't comprehend to do so quickly. ESPECIALLY when you're switching from left stick/right buttons to right stick/arrow buttons.

This freaked me out at first.
22556454527_8ef6767779_o.jpg

22974802795_e3f75bc789_o.jpg

BTA

Ah, all of the songs I adore (and aren't on the OST) are by Rinat Arinos, and aren't available for purchase in any form. TT_TT

At least Boomerang is on Soundcloud

I finally got my copy and though I don't have much time to play right now, I pretty much instantly fell in love with it, but... this might be an issue, yeah. I feel weird complaining about the soundtrack because it's so huge as is, but I immediately wanted to listen to Easy Easy Go again because that song is GREAT and... not on there. Thankfully that's on Soundcloud too, but it's unfortunate that it couldn't be on there.

Also, totally going with buttons. Might try touch at some point, though.

Hey sad to know you haven't received it yet, if you don't have the tracking number please fill in the form and we'll contact you ASAP

http://bit.ly/XONICORDERSSUPPORT

By the way, here's the SBX Fanart contest results! Feel free to check it out! Even PUNEW participated!

https://www.facebook.com/djmaxofficial/posts/630038347137325

I didn't receive a tracking with my shipping notice email but I will give it a couple more days, since Mexico tends to take it's time with mail and packages in general. But thanks for the great customer service!

Received my limited edition a few days ago. Feel kinda bad that they lost money on shipping for us Canadians.

The game is great. Nice variety of songs. I say it is good for beginners as the songs scale from easy to challenging very well. I actually got perfect play on the first song lol.

Some minor complaints though.

- they should of switched the colors in 4 Trax. X is blue and Triangle is Green on the PS controller.
- they should of used different colors for 6 Trax. I get confused when switching to 4 Trax to 6 Trax because blue is now Left/Circle. Also seeing Green at the center, I immediately think Down/X but as it gets closer, it was actually Up/Triangle. Different colors would of help a lot in very complex songs.
- can't see my Rank for the song in the selection screen in Free Style mode. I like to get them all S++ but don't know which ones.
- can't change my equipment in World Tour. I like to use exp boost on missions I know I can pass and break shield on the harder ones. But to switch I have to back out of World Tour.

Played through a dozen or so songs on 4 trax. Was doing fine until they started throwing different complex pattern/hold combos on each side. Even my drum brain wasn't ready for those curve balls.

One thing I am not clear about. If you miss a note (either from poor timing or hitting the wrong button) is there a short period where your input is denied? There were a few spots where I felt like I corrected a mistake by responding in time but it did not register. Could be even my correction missed, but it felt like I made it.

Example: 2 notes in quick succession on the bottom-right track. Hit the top-right note by mistake for the first note. Move to the bottom for the second note but input did not seem to register at all.

macklelol

The control scheme for 4T is kinda weird since you can hit the blue notes with left, right, or up and their respective buttons. If you play 4T using Left/Down and Circle/X, it makes the transition going into 6T easier.

Falk

that puzzling face
The control scheme for 4T is kinda weird since you can hit the blue notes with left, right, or up and their respective buttons. If you play 4T using Left/Down and Circle/X, it makes the transition going into 6T easier.

Opposite way for me. I'm using down/right/square/X and reading the chart as if it's supposed to be connected at the top. (the blue notes next to each other)

Incidentally I use both left/right and square/circle for 6T, whichever takes less instantaneous movement.

macklelol

yay 50k combo, halfway there

Opposite way for me. I'm using down/right/square/X and reading the chart as if it's supposed to be connected at the top. (the blue notes next to each other)

Incidentally I use both left/right and square/circle for 6T, whichever takes less instantaneous movement.

Either way works, I probably should've just said you should avoid using up/triangle in 4T.

One thing I am not clear about. If you miss a note (either from poor timing or hitting the wrong button) is there a short period where your input is denied? There were a few spots where I felt like I corrected a mistake by responding in time but it did not register. Could be even my correction missed, but it felt like I made it.

That's my feeling too. I just don't know what this kind of input denial is called, if there is a name.

macklelol

Peach Fuzz on 6T is a really good song to grind for that 99999 combo, giving just a little over 1300 combo on a pretty easy chart.

Played through a dozen or so songs on 4 trax. Was doing fine until they started throwing different complex pattern/hold combos on each side. Even my drum brain wasn't ready for those curve balls.

Example: 2 notes in quick succession on the bottom-right track. Hit the top-right note by mistake for the first note. Move to the bottom for the second note but input did not seem to register at all.

The game might be counting your 2nd input as a late input for the first, so you end up missing the second.

Cmagus

Having somewhat trouble hitting trigger notes and analogue stick notes at the same time. I think I need to adjust how I hold my Vita. Executing these parts feels kinda uncomfortable the way I am playing now.

Yeah I feel the same right now it's like my hands aren't big enough to hit everything lol. I'm really struggling with the yellow swipe notes, it took me awhile to figure them out. I kind of wish the tutorial actually let you practice the notes it's showing you.

The music so far is really good and they have a nice selection. So far the game isn't bad but it's gonna take a lot of practice.

MrBS

I've been having some fun with this. I just gave it a quick try on my Vita TV and there seemed to be some odd performance issues with loading between stages and some distorted sounds in menus. Curious.

Loving the game even though I'm only doing scrub 4 trax at the moment. I'll try to get better guys I promise!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
So what's the best way to grind for 99,999?? The fact you can't multiply your combo seems like it'll make things a bit more tedious.

macklelol

So what's the best way to grind for 99,999?? The fact you can't multiply your combo seems like it'll make things a bit more tedious.

There's a few songs that are pretty good to grind out:

Peach Fuzz (~1310 combo on 6T, ~1470 on 6FX)
Stargazer (~1070 on 4T)
Peter Pan (little less than 1000 on 6FX)
Boomerang (little less than 1000 on 6FX)
Souls of Vampire ~ Extended (~2350 on 4T, but is about twice as long as regular songs)
Longer (900 or so on 6T)
Hinagiku (~1050 on 6FX, haven't really played this one but just going by what Yuuichi said earlier)

I ended up playing like a bunch of different songs while getting my combo up, didn't really stick to one song that much.

zeioIIDX

I've had the game since the 10th and I'm finding myself comparing it too much, maybe even unfairly, to the DJ Max series. I just don't like this anywhere near as much. None of the songs are as memorable at all and I miss a lot of the DJ Max artists like Bexter as well as some of the more classic sounding stuff from Electronic Boutique, NieN, and M2U. And only one 3rd Coast track?! Uh-uh. Come again. Lol. I've found maybe 5 songs that I can play over and over again but even then, I'm really pulling at straws there. I do realize that's just a personal complaint. I don't know what the situation is but it would have been awesome to see some of the fan favorites continued such as the NB Ranger series, SiN, and the cool Bexter tracks that have videos which seem almost related in a way (Syriana and Ruti'n).

Gameplay-wise and probably most importantly, I can't quite find my stride and I have played a LOT of music games over the years like DDR, ITG, PIU, IIDX, DJ Max, Pop'n, Guitaroo Man, Parappa the Rapper, etc. I noticed that I go back and forth between touch controls and button controls based on the density of the notechart and it's because it feels like I just can't keep a consistent combo with touch controls. I mean, I've reached a 2,000 combo with touch controls but that's on easier stuff. The swipe up and swipe down notes don't always register for me either. The biggest thing is that because of the way the note-lane is set up, it's tougher to sightread tracks like you can in other games like DDR and IIDX. Oh and yes, I've been playing 4-Trax and 6-Trax. I do wish with 6-Trax that one of the lane colors was changed so it isn't green-blue-green. It should be green-blue-purple or some other color that isn't used since I know red and yellow are taken.

I'm hoping the more I play it, the more I'll like it. I had similar issues with DJ Max Technika Tune on the PS Vita although the music in that one was better in my opinion.

AlexIIDX

So I can use a 40 break shield for the 99,999 combo? And does the shield reset after each song?... Also do the leader boards seem messed up for anyone else? After like the 30th name it's just blank for me.

macklelol

I do wish with 6-Trax that one of the lane colors was changed so it isn't green-blue-green. It should be green-blue-purple or some other color that isn't used since I know red and yellow are taken.

I'm hoping the more I play it, the more I'll like it. I had similar issues with DJ Max Technika Tune on the PS Vita although the music in that one was better in my opinion.

Purple wouldn't work since that color is used for L/R in 6FX. I think they set it up that way to make it similar to DJMAX, where keys were White/Blue/White for each side or whatever the colors were.

So I can use a 40 break shield for the 99,999 combo? And does the shield reset after each song?... Also do the leader boards seem messed up for anyone else? After like the 30th name it's just blank for me.

Yeah, go ahead and use a shield.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Shields are HIGHLY recommended if you're aiming for the 99,999 combo or any "reach #### combo" challenges in World Tour. Heck, I've pretty much only used characters who increase my EXP & give me a break shield.

Made it to level 60. Right now, just trying to get most of the patterns taken care of while taking a break from World Tour's random difficulty.

Edit: I GOT A 94% JUDGMENT RATE & NEEDED 95% UUUGGGHHHH. I'm starting to figure out what my score needs to be to pass the mission, which I'm guessing is around 45,400 or 45,500.

Edit 2: OMG FINALLY. Exactly 95%.

FluxWaveZ

Finally got to play this. It's really fun, though I feel like the game expects the player to already be familiar with everything that's going on, when I'm still kind of confused when it comes to certain UI elements.

Like, what do those effector icons to the left of the "Equipment" slot in the select screen even do? The manual doesn't go over them. What are the unlock conditions for the 6 Trax FX or additional World Tour sections?

Coming from P4D, I thought the tutorial was telling me I had to let go at the end of "hold" notes for them to count, but it seems I can just hold the button without releasing it and it'll register fine. Also, the manual says that combos only increment when "Super Beat" ratings are obtained, but "Good" seems to do the same.

It's good; I'm sure I'll be more familiar with the game's intricacies as I spend more time with it.

Edit: The thing that gives me the most trouble so far is having to quickly switch to an analog stick input after a directional one. Doesn't feel as natural to me as a P4D scratch note, but that might be because I'm not familiar with it yet.

macklelol

6FX unlocks at Lv20 and World Tour missions unlock as you level up, up to Lv55.

Those effector slots are just mods. Stuff like Fade-in and Random can be turned on there.

FluxWaveZ

6FX unlocks at Lv20 and World Tour missions unlock as you level up, up to Lv55.

Those effector slots are just mods. Stuff like Fade-in and Random can be turned on there.

Thanks. I figured that was the case for the Effectors, but just starting, I wish there was an actual description instead of just icons to go by.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
3 more World Tour clubs left, 9 challenges, reached level 72. For the challenges where you have to GET ## breaks, is that per stage, or once you hit ## in the first song, you can just full-combo afterwards.

Also, for Ghost, it annoys me more I can't see my combo & how much my shield has than not seeing the actual hit zone, amazingly. Probably the first time the ghost modifier hasn't bothered me in a rhythm game.

macklelol

The last club in World Tour is pretty freaking hard, can't even beat the easy mission! Should probably go back and clear the other clubs first lol.

So I noticed there's EX charts or whatever in World Tour, if you beat them do you get them in free play mode or are they only playable in World Tour mode?

FluxWaveZ

the JP site has the effects of the modifiers, though it is in Japanese. JP Site
Step your game up, NA site. Seriously it's so barebones.
aBhKT2x.png

Thanks. I would have figured it out soon enough just by experimenting, but it's handy to have it laid out like that.

No mention of any score or EXP modifiers or anything like that, so I'm guessing they're purely to add challenge.

The last club in World Tour is pretty freaking hard, can't even beat the easy mission! Should probably go back and clear the other clubs first lol.

So I noticed there's EX charts or whatever in World Tour, if you beat them do you get them in free play mode or are they only playable in World Tour mode?

I think I read in one of the loading screens that they're exclusive to world tour mode.

Thanks. I would have figured it out soon enough just by experimenting, but it's handy to have it laid out like that.

No mention of any score or EXP modifiers or anything like that, so I'm guessing they're purely to add challenge.
No problem!

co1onel

rhythm game on vita that uses the buttons? I'm already sold.

Wish they had just made another top down scrolling game, but this seems okay. Looks like it might provide more of a challenge than djmax too.

macklelol

I think I read in one of the loading screens that they're exclusive to world tour mode.

No problem!

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I just want easy access to Fantasti-K EX, damnit.

Ugh, the last two World Tour clubs are just too hard for me right now. Especially the Lv52 Normal mission, wtf is that shit.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I just want easy access to Fantasti-K EX, damnit.

Ugh, the last two World Tour clubs are just too hard for me right now. Especially the Lv52 Normal mission, wtf is that shit.
It just popped up after finishing a 4trax, took a screenshot!
22977178576_c86429521d_z.jpg

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm actually personally missing two things:

1) Chords (that is, two buttons on one side simultaneously, although that'd still result in problematic Random charts since you can't press Up/Down at the same time on the D-Pad)

2) NM/HD/MX or at least two difficulties per configuration per track. I presume that no keysounds and a consolidated BGA scheme exists to be able to get more gameplay out of the same amount of effort/resources (also easier licensing), so having one difficulty per track very confusingly runs counter to that. Multiple difficulties per track lets players of various skill levels have much more content for a very reasonable additional man-hour investment. ESPECIALLY considering people who might be enticed to come over from P4D/Theatrhythm/Miku might simply be intimidated and stuck only being able to play 3-5 songs at entry skill level.

macklelol

I'm actually personally missing two things:

1) Chords (that is, two buttons on one side simultaneously, although that'd still result in problematic Random charts since you can't press Up/Down at the same time on the D-Pad)

2) NM/HD/MX or at least two difficulties per configuration per track. I presume that no keysounds and a consolidated BGA scheme exists to be able to get more gameplay out of the same amount of effort/resources (also easier licensing), so having one difficulty per track very confusingly runs counter to that. Multiple difficulties per track lets players of various skill levels have much more content for a very reasonable additional man-hour investment. ESPECIALLY considering people who might be enticed to come over from P4D/Theatrhythm/Miku might simply be intimidated and stuck only being able to play 3-5 songs at entry skill level.

I know I played at least 1 song that had those kind of chords
The Lemon Squash EX, in World Tour Lv55 Hard

I think the EX charts were supposed to be a replacement for HD/MX stuff, but they're pretty poorly implemented (they shouldn't be locked to World Tour) and there's just too few of them.

megalowho

Found some time to pull away from Fallout and dig into this for a bit. Huge DJMAX fan and instantly felt at home - the presentation, the soundtrack, the sense of progression is there. Very happy to play a new rhythm game from this team.

Was prepared for the lack of keysounds but it's still a letdown. I'm not sure if I'll ever love this game like the previous ones without that feeling like you're playing an instrument/all the instruments, even though the charts are still fun. Unfortunate sacrifice. Also having some trouble with scratch notes on the analog sticks, and switching between face buttons and analog in general. Need more practice but touch seems like the way to go for now.

Falk

that puzzling face
Since the tutorial doesn't really make it clear enough what to do with the analog sticks, you press in the direction the red drags travel.

Like if it starts at the top and moves downwards, you hold the analog stick down for the duration.

Yellow flick notes, on the other hand, are more straightforward. Up = up, down = down.

edit: I find it hilariously awesome, intentional or otherwise, that the deeper you dive into this game, the more the unlocks sound further and further back in DJMAX's history. Souls of Vampire is 100% classic NieN, with modern production values.

megalowho

Since the tutorial doesn't really make it clear enough what to do with the analog sticks, you press in the direction the red drags travel.

Like if it starts at the top and moves downwards, you hold the analog stick down for the duration.

Yellow flick notes, on the other hand, are more straightforward. Up = up, down = down.
Yeah, I get how to trigger it. It's more of a fundamental issue with not enjoying the mechanic of switching between position 1 (face buttons) to position 2 (analog sticks) with my thumbs constantly, or at least it trips me up in the early goings. Feels like an expansion on concepts they introduced with Fever that I wasn't a fan of there either. I'm more focused on the chart when I use touch, even if hitting buttons is satisfying.

There's a few songs that are pretty good to grind out:

Peach Fuzz (~1310 combo on 6T, ~1470 on 6FX)
Stargazer (~1070 on 4T)
Peter Pan (little less than 1000 on 6FX)
Boomerang (little less than 1000 on 6FX)
Souls of Vampire ~ Extended (~2350 on 4T, but is about twice as long as regular songs)
Longer (900 or so on 6T)
Hinagiku (~1050 on 6FX, haven't really played this one but just going by what Yuuichi said earlier)

I ended up playing like a bunch of different songs while getting my combo up, didn't really stick to one song that much.

Hold up, going on a tangent here but is that "Stargazer" by Rainbow?

None of the songs are as memorable at all and I miss a lot of the DJ Max artists like Bexter as well as some of the more classic sounding stuff from Electronic Boutique, NieN, and M2U. And only one 3rd Coast track?!

I agree - I have yet to find any instantly memorable songs. And the lack of 3rd Coast really stings, too.

Still, that's the price of starting over - no back catalog of songs to cherry-pick from. Maybe one day we will look back and count just how many songs from here made it into future games.

Falk

that puzzling face
I agree - I have yet to find any instantly memorable songs. And the lack of 3rd Coast really stings, too.

Food for thought. How many of the classic DJMAX (as in, the online service, pre-Portable) tracks do you remember that don't have BGA?

Genuinely curious as to whether people form stronger associations/differentiation when there's visual stimulus and a story to go with each piece of music.

edit: Well, that's kind of a stupid question. Of course people do. I guess a better way to phrase it is, how much value does BGA add?

Yuuichi

Souls of Vampire is an awful idea to grind to because it's twice the length but you still only have the same amount of shield, so it's much riskier.

Top Bottom