• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur Legends (Wii) Famitsu scan

Somnid

Are we going to do this everytime a Wii game shown to the public? I mean seriously it isn't bad at all. Now, Matt C thinks it'll be crap but that's another issue.

Also, people trying to make some sort of comparison to SC2, you'd have to be really dense to to think it works like that.

fernoca

dark10x said:
It's only going to get worse. Wii games appear dated now, but imagine them in 2 years...

As always..it depends on the developers..
Gran Turismo 4..God of War II..Resident Evil 4...Twilight Princess... Fable.....still manage to look good on their respective "outdated" consoles..up to this date, even compared to other "next-gen" games.

I should point out, I'm not shitting on the graphics, the game looks fine. I just have extremely large doubts that Namco can deliver a decent game in this genre, seeing as how they never have in spite of several attempts. Add the fact that the Soulcalibur team is obviously working on something else, and I just have trouble having any hope at all.

king zell said:
the game is only 40% complete :)

That's good to know. Now they have time to add "room full of demons, room full of samurai, and room full of robots" to the "room full of ninjas" and the "room full of mummies"

Can't wait for that :/

Grecco

dark10x said:
It's only going to get worse. Wii games appear dated now, but imagine them in 2 years...

In 2 years games like Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy among others will be out and Wii games will only look better.

People seem to think only PS3/360 games will somehow look better but Wii games will look the same. Just like God of War 2 looks like first gen PS2 games

Grecco said:
In 2 years games like Metroid Prime 3, Mario Galaxy among others will be out and Wii games will only look better.

People seem to think only PS3/360 games will somehow look better but Wii games will look the same. Just like God of War 2 looks like first gen PS2 games

The wii is on par with an xbox. There isn't a whole lot of room to wiggle. We've already seen the best from that level of hardware.

capslock

Is jealous of Matlock's emoticon
Grecco said:

MP3 and Mario Galaxy are coming out this year...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
fernoca said:
Gran Turismo 4..God of War II..Resident Evil 4...Twilight Princess... Fable.....still manage to look good on their respective "outdated" consoles..up to this date, even compared to other "next-gen" games.
Yes, but what were the release dates of those games again? We were at the tail end of last generation visuals when those games were released and they were impressive when one considers that fact. Do you really think God of War II would still impress us two or three years from now? Not to the same degree, that's for sure.

Grecco said:

Wii will improve, but I don't see it going beyond the best XBOX games. The ceiling is much lower with the Wii. What was impressive in 2004 isn't going to be in 2009. The Wii hardware was dated from the get-go (unlike PS2, XBOX, and Gamecube). This is a different situation.

Somnid

fernoca said:

That's because people had a very good idea of what those systems could do and once you get to that point certain things just look amazing. I think with Wii people want it to do more but perhaps they don't quite understand. Wii's hardware bump isn't enough to make a sizable difference in image quality over GCN. It's not like 360 where you can throw bump-maps at a problem, only the experienced devs will make games that are better than what you could get on GCN.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Might me my excessively lowered expectations, but I thought this game looks decent.

fernoca

Somnid said:
That's because people had a very good idea of what those systems could do and once you get to that point certain things just look amazing. I think with Wii people want it to do more but perhaps they don't quite understand. Wii's hardware bump isn't enough to make a sizable difference in image quality over GCN. It's not like 360 where you can throw bump-maps at a problem, only the experienced devs will make games that are better than what you could get on GCN.

The thing is the Wii is capable of having games looking as good as Ninga Gaiden, Rebel Strike and God of War II...at this very moment..yet, developers are not even trying.

Maybe is like the DS...
It is more powerful than a Nintendo 64, heck Super Mario 64 DS looks better and more detailed than the original N64 game and it was a launch title..and Final Fantasy III looks better than many PS1 and N64 games..
Yet..
The first year (plus) barely any game showed that, most games looked just like Game Boy Advance games..with 2 screens.

And to stay on topic..
Legends still looks good to me..so maybe I wasn't expecting much..I don't know..
I'm one of those dumb people that still surprised by the visuals in Twilight Princess..

jarrod

Banned
Red Blaster said:
Legends looks barely on par with SC2, let alone SC3.

I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the Wii to match a PS2 game.
None of the PS2 Soul Calibur games had 4+ combatants onscreen simultaneously. Modeling and geometry look on par with SC2/3, it's really just lighting and effects that need some tlc.

thomasos said:
The game is NOT being developed by the Death By Degrees team. I did the cover story for next month's Nintendo Power.
So... who's making it then? We know the SC2 director's involved, who else?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
dark10x said:

Nah, we'll get what we do for DS.

"Wow, it looks good...for a Wii game."

Grecco

thomasos said:
The game is NOT being developed by the Death By Degrees team. I did the cover story for next month's Nintendo Power.

Guess the haters can shut up for a bit. Good to know

jarrod

Banned
The Abominable Snowman said:
Wasn't that team assembled into another team? Is that team responsible for this game?
I think it's more likely the SC2 breakaway team that made Tales of Legendia.

gimmmick

Alkaliine said:
You think the visuals look bad? For a Wii game, the textures are actually quite good.

That doesn't mean it still doesn't look like complete shit. Hell, I would even go out and say that soul calibur 3 looks better than what we are seeing now.

thomasos said:

YAY! Thank God! Who's it being done by? is the director of SC 2 really involved or not? If so, my faith in this game has just risen immensely!

Neo C.

GeneralIroh said:
The graphics look similar to Ninja Gaiden. I dont get the hate.
The graphic discussion will last at least 2 years, after this period of time everyone will accept the graphics on the Wii no matter of the quality (except the really bad ones). But for now, every lack in terms of technic is a opportunity for bitching.

bumpkin

Jonnyboy117 said:
I like how Famitsu included a screenshot from SC2 on Dreamcast that looks better than this Wii game. That top illustration of Siegfried is some of the worst character art I've seen for a game.
Are you blind?

I'm not saying SCL looks spectacular, but to say SC on the Dreamcast looks better is just plain ignorant. The character models are easily on par... I think we need to see this in motion before we start passing judgement.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
i dont know what u people are talking about, this game looks just fine. however, thats not what i care about in terms of this game. what i care about is gameplay, just like u all say we got the game for, and my main issues stem from how this game, considering history is going to be total ass. i dont even know why N/B even bothers with fooling itself that this game makes up for a lack of SC4 on the Wii, because quite simply, handing us a cow pie while giving the HD console owners candy and chocolate is far greater an insult to my intelligence than giving me nothing at all. i would rather that nothing SC come out on the Wii at all than be offered this heaping pile...

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Here's what Famitsu has to say about the game. Described by the magazine as a "gaiden," or "side story" in the series, Legends takes the series away from one on one fights and into 3rd-person "sword-based action," with players facing off against multiple enemies. simultaneously. Enemies consist of past Soul series fighters as well as some new beasts.

The game's main character appears to be newcomer Iska, a mysterious 16-year-old boy of imperial blood who sets out on travel with Siegfried Schtauffen. Siegfried is, of course, a veteran of the Soul Calibur series, and he's joined in Legends by Taki and Mitsurugi. While these latter three are confirmed as playable; we're not so sure about Iska at the moment. We've also been able to discern that Ivy will be a playable character as well.

Players use the Wiimote and nunchuck controllers to control their on-screen counterparts directly. Slashing the Wiimote horizontally or vertically results in respective horizontal and vertical slashes. The nunchuck is used to move your character around and can be shaken for evasion and other special types of movement. Buttons are included for jumping and guarding,

The control scheme will actually change depending on the character, with new playable characters being unveiled as you progress. Your current cast of characters will also grow as you play the game with new weapons and skills.

In addition to combat, players will have to deal with traps and other obstacles in dungeons. Stage layouts contribute to the fight as well; players will want to use height to their advantage.

Bosses also await. Players will be able to select two characters and freely switch between them, Famitsu states in describing one of the boss fights. It's unclear if this is true of the rest of the game.

Soul Calibur Legends is being produced by Jin Okubo and directed by Tetsuya Akatsuka, both familiar names for the series. In comments with the magazine, the two revealed that Legends is designed to be a game that will allow anyone to experience 3D sword combat through a simple control scheme.

Stages of play span five minutes on the low end all the way up to between fifteen and twenty minutes. This may seem like a low number, but Bandai Namco is planning "a considerable number of such stages," according to Akatsuka.

Legends may seem a bit like the strategic mission mode found in previous Soul games. However, according to Akatsuka, there's a big difference. While players could gather weapons to upgrade their characters via past mission modes, the effects of the weapons weren't necessarily clear. In Legends, the effects will be much clearer. For instance, a "flame sword" will come with skills that one would expect of such a sword.

In addition to single player play, Legends will also include multiplayer support. Players will be able to face off against one another and combat enemies cooperatively. While Okubo admits that the method of implementing the multiplayer modes is still under consideration, he expects the game to use a split screen setup in order to allow players to fully become their in-game counterparts.

Famitsu's first look at Soul Calibur Legends includes some slick screenshots which suggest a step up for the series visually from past entries. The game is reportedly 40% complete and is set for Japanese release this winter.

ign

ZeoVGM

Banned
AniHawk said:
Sarcasm, right? This game looks like shit.

Well then, I guess he shouldn't ever get a Wii, right?

Shocking developments in the video game world today: Wii has GameCube graphics.

It's a few pictures that barely show us anything. Jump the gun much? The game could be great. The game could suck. Chill out.

dark10x said:
Yes, but what were the release dates of those games again? We were at the tail end of last generation visuals when those games were released and they were impressive when one considers that fact. Do you really think God of War II would still impress us two or three years from now? Not to the same degree, that's for sure.

Wii will improve, but I don't see it going beyond the best XBOX games. The ceiling is much lower with the Wii. What was impressive in 2004 isn't going to be in 2009. The Wii hardware was dated from the get-go (unlike PS2, XBOX, and Gamecube). This is a different situation.

Again, this is only an hardcore's problem and Nintendo seems to shifting his attention to the casual (that requires less money, less invenstements and haven't always something to complain for).

Top Bottom