• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2012 NBA Offseason |OT|They said I could become anything so I became multiple sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilonv1

So the Knicks have to get rid of Amare. But who will take his stupid contract?

How about the Brooklyn Nets who will have $30million+ in salary cap space?

Nets get a guy who is locked up for a few years, Knicks get away from his horrid contract. Also a quick way to heat up a dead rivalry

The thought of an Amare/Brook Lopez front court also amuses me.

h3ro

JkQ4q.jpg

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
So the Knicks have to get rid of Amare. But who will take his stupid contract?

How about the Brooklyn Nets who will have $30million+ in salary cap space?

Nets get a guy who is locked up for a few years, Knicks get away from his horrid contract. Also a quick way to heat up a dead rivalry

The thought of an Amare/Brook Lopez front court also amuses me.

only 7 rebound front court in the NBA

pilonv1

IWMTB will disagree with me but I say Drummond > Jones.

If I was the Cats I'd take Drummond #4 unless Robinson measures 6'9" or higher.

Canuck76

Banned

Jones? PJ3?

I don't know man. Cats just need decent players at this point. Robinson def looks like he's 6'10 or bigger to me. Maybe it's just me but he looks taller than Sullinger.

Fox318

Knicks don't have to get rid of Amar'e. They need get rid of Fields if he asks for anything more than min though.

Knicks don't have to get rid of Amar'e. They need get rid of Fields if he asks for anything more than min though.

I would keep Fields. With Lin he was playing well. Knicks need to create an offensive system where they can utilize Amare and Chandler with PnR's. Tyson was so good at PnR's with Lin. Hopefully JR will leave and we can somehow sign Novak.

Just close your eyes and pretend that contract can't hurt you...
Or y'know, try and sign an offensive assistant to try to integrate the players into a system better since for the first time they'll have a complete offseason and training camp to work on things.

Try and see what you can scrounge up with the midlevel exception, two $1.4 million vet exceptions, and the sole draft pick they own. Maybe buy another 2nd rounder, dip into the NBDL or sign a UDFA.

Get treatment/rehab injuries and try to keep players healthy and in better shape a.k.a Mike Woodson's challenge to Carmelo Anthony.

... or they could just do nothing and troll the NBA for 3 months like Charlotte did. Personally, I like the proactive approach that shows they're serious about basketball. Something you're not being in this discussion right now.

pilonv1

MLE has to go to Lin, Fields will get his Early Bird deal to keep full Bird Rights, so it's just the $2mill bi-annual exemption, veterans minimum and pick #48.

I'd assume Novak gets a bigger deal somewhere else, and JR Smith probably can get more than the 2.5million player option he has.

Fox318

Or y'know, try and sign an offensive assistant to try to integrate the players into a system better since for the first time they'll have a complete offseason and training camp to work on things.

Try and see what you can scrounge up with the midlevel exception, two $1.4 million vet exceptions, and the sole draft pick they own. Maybe buy another 2nd rounder, dip into the NBDL or sign a UDFA.

Get treatment/rehab injuries and try to keep players healthy and in better shape a.k.a Mike Woodson's challenge to Carmelo Anthony.

... or they could just do nothing and troll the NBA for 3 months like Charlotte did. Personally, I like the proactive approach that shows they're serious about basketball. Something you're not being in this discussion right now.

buxOK.gif

I'd assume Novak gets a bigger deal somewhere else, and JR Smith probably can get more than the 2.5million player option he has.
I don't. He can't play D and he can't set up his own shot.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

What's with this assistant shit? Woodson didn't have you guys play D when you had the premier offensive coach in Mike D. You could hire Thibs and no offensive assistant in the world would make Amare not suck. He got outplayed by Boozer this year. Its Seppuku Time.

The MLE is going to Lin. The only vet quality you're looking at is Roger Mason Jr. (again) and Mac.

And you wish you could tank.

Its okay though, loser bro, you're among family here. This is where we embrace the taint and look in the mirror.

PBY

Banned

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBEXSiFzOfU

MLE has to go to Lin, Fields will get his Early Bird deal to keep full Bird Rights, so it's just the $2mill bi-annual exemption, veterans minimum and pick #48.

I honestly don't think Lin gets the full MLE... I'd think he gets 3-4 million of it and Fields gets like 1-1.5 million.

JR Smith - Gone, everyone knew he was a rental.
Steve Novak - Interesting because he truly loves NY, but his value did get hurt a bit in the playoffs. If he's willing to take the vet's minimum (lol) or the biannual, that'd be great.
Toney Douglas - Signed for 1 more year, he becomes the de facto backup Shooting Guard. Dude needs to straighten out whatever issues he had and rehab the shoulder, because there's no way he can play like he did this season next year. Dude looked scared on the court at times.
Josh Harrelson - I really want to see him play more, good low post defender and smart. He worked very well with Chandler and he has the semblance of an offensive game.
Jared Jeffries - Gone. Doubt he takes the vet minimum, although he's done it before
What's with this assistant shit? Woodson didn't have you guys play D when you had the premier offensive coach in Mike D. You could hire Thibs and no offensive assistant in the world would make Amare not suck. He got outplayed by Boozer this year. Its Seppuku Time.

The MLE is going to Lin. The only vet quality you're looking at is Roger Mason Jr. (again) and Mac.

And you wish you could tank.

Its okay though, loser bro, you're among family here. This is where we embrace the taint and look in the mirror.
So you give up and not try to improve your team? Stay pessimistic and stick you head in the sand?

that's some peterb0y shit right there, the last refuge of a Quad L... that's shameful, Dy. All those Shameball Classics have turned you into a shell of yourself. But if you want to play this game, sure I'll bite:

EDIT: 1) I would think if you keep Woodson Dolan will try to hire another coach that he handpicks. He does this stuff all the time because he a moron, which is why I said "assistant". If they don't I would figure with a full camp they'll work on things.
2) Lin is not getting the full MLE unless a team drives up his price. Bank on it... but then again this IS Dolan.
3) ... you're right, I wish Knicks could. But tanking for a lower seed in the playoffs is different from regular tanking.

Fox318

I honestly don't think Lin gets the full MLE... I'd think he gets 3-4 million of it and Fields gets like 1-1.5 million.

JR Smith - Gone, everyone knew he was a rental.
Steve Novak - Interesting because he truly loves NY, but his value did get hurt a bit in the playoffs. If he's willing to take the vet's minimum (lol) or the biannual, that'd be great.
Toney Douglas - Signed for 1 more year, he becomes the de facto backup Shooting Guard. Dude needs to straighten out whatever issues he had and rehab the shoulder, because there's no way he can play like he did this season next year. Dude looked scared on the court at times.
Josh Harrelson - I really want to see him play more, good low post defender and smart. He worked very well with Chandler and he has the semblance of an offensive game.
Jared Jeffries - Gone. Doubt he takes the vet minimum, although he's done it before

So you give up and not try to improve your team? Stay pessimistic and stick you head in the sand?

that's some peterb0y shit right there. The last refuge of a quad L... that's shameful, Dy. All those Shameball Classics have turned you into a shell of yourself.
I honestly believe they will retain Harrelson, Jefferies, and Novak. Smith could stay depending on what the other offers are. I don't see them keeping Toney. I thought Woodson didn't like him.

PBY

Banned
Frankman, doing something for the sake of doing something doesn't necessarily mean that it will make your team better. (I also think you're waaaaay overstating the power/importance/influence a coach has). The issue isn't the pieces around your core, its your core. You're crazy if you think that Amare, Chandler, and Melo can be a championship squad, regardless of what roleplayers you put around them.

DY_nasty

I know failure when I see it. So far, the Knicks are one game better than LB's playoff Bobcats.

Your point guard of the future already endured a public humiliation too. All you have to do now is wait for a new owner and an epic tank job.

pilonv1

I don't. He can't play D and he can't set up his own shot.

Someone will offer him $4mil/2 years or something similar.

Again, I think some other team will throw the full MLE at Lin. And if Fields takes the Early Bird exemption it wont affect the MLE.

I think there would be a massive meltdown in NY if they lost Lin by not offering the full MLE.

charsace

Both guys are guys that I would be cautious of. People say both of them have bad attitudes. Drummond is a softy and Jones is one of those guys that looks like a player so people overrate him.

Again, I think some other team will throw the full MLE at Lin. And if Fields takes the Early Bird exemption it wont affect the MLE.

I think there would be a massive meltdown in NY if they lost Lin by not offering the full MLE.
NY has the right to match any offer I believe, and I can see them trying to use the "need to sign other players" card on Lin (Fields, who he's friends with). I honestly don't think unless they drastically lowball him he would demand more money, no one really knows his ceiling/floor. He's basically the equivalent of an promising young player off his rookie contract, w/o the volume of games played. And considering the huge Asian market in NY I don't see him wanting to leave.

I will say that Landry shouldn't get any more than $1.5 million, if he gets that. He hurt himself bad the last 2 weeks
I honestly believe they will retain Harrelson, Jefferies, and Novak. Smith could stay depending on what the other offers are. I don't see them keeping Toney. I thought Woodson didn't like him.
Toney is signed already, so unless they trade him he's going to be here. I'd stay away from Jeffries, Jorts makes him redundant somewhat. Use that money to sign Novak. Smith is gone, some team is going to overpay him at $7+ million a year.

DY_nasty

Both guys are guys that I would be cautious of. People say both of them have bad attitudes. Drummond is a softy and Jones is one of those guys that looks like a player so people overrate him.

I look at Jones and see a weaker Julian Wright...

pilonv1

I look at Jones and see a weaker Julian Wright...

I was thinking Magic Randolph without the magic. So basically Earl Clark.

edit: hey who does this sound like?

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Earl-Clark-488/

Clark’s biggest problem is that he seems to be suffering from somewhat of an identity crisis. He’s a power forward at the NCAA level who wants to be a guard, particularly in the way he settles for jump-shots from the perimeter. His jumper is way too streaky for that to be effective, but you regardless see him pulling up for 19-foot fade-aways off his back heel on a regular basis.

Rarely do you see Clark finish a play with a dunk, and after watching his film extensively, it’s hard not to come away thinking that he lacks a good amount of physical toughness.

The impression you come away with from scouting Clark heavily depends on which day you catch him on. On some nights he looks incredibly active, playing extremely hard, utilizing his athleticism to its fullest, and making very good decisions. On others, he looks completely asleep, disappearing for long stretches and being very passive.

h3ro

bgbH9.jpg

Bye bye JR.
Novak/Landry back if cheap.
Heal Shumps/Lin to full health.
Use Knicks-age amnesty on talisay.

/offseason.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Target Center renovations passed. Plan is to start next spring.

How anticlimactic. Where's the Vikings level drama?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom