• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Last Light dev: 'Wii U has horrible, slow CPU' [Up: DICE dev comments]

Damn son. So CPU and RAM are both "worse". All we need is eDRAM and GPU. Try to keep it civil and classy in here though, guys.
Highly doubt that will happen though :p

The GPU itself isn't really a saving grace since it's being bottlenecked by that horrible memory bandwidth. The PC GPU it's based on - the 4770 - had over 50GB/s of bandwidth available to it. The Wii U shares 12.8GB/s...

ASIS

And some developers have different priorities. For a game that is going to be CPU intensive the CPU will be terrible for them. For others it may not matter as much.
I'm well aware of that. So the question is, why is that considered honesty compared to others?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Yes, but the Wii ended up being the least favorite console for 3rd party developers, thanks to its lack in power. And this fact hurt the Wii in the end.

So this is pretty concerning.
It was concerning half a year to a year ago. Now it's just par for course. Nintendo continue their reign of "not getting it."

The online seems to be pretty great on Wii U. No Friend codes, instant requests, etc. What else do you want?

Achievements would be nice...for the people who want them.

But yeah, it's pretty decent. I like how the flashing home icon tells you when you have a notification...it doesn't flash up in the screen.

npm0925

What has Nintendo's R&D department been doing for the last, oh, decade? It's like George Costanza with the Penske file. I honestly feel that Sony or Microsoft could cobble together a superior system in 6 months and sell it for the same price.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
That's pretty impressive pre-rendering technology. I thought you could move the camera around. So the WiiU is playing back 1000s of videos just to respond to user commands?

Wow.
Obviously it was running in realtime, but it was also just a demo. Those types of demos don't usually place much strain on the CPU which is where the Wii U is weak.

That....was their move. Heh.

little_kid_approve_gif.gif

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Because you should raise your expectations, especially when you're paying possibly $350 for it. You're a consumer, and should demand the most for your money. Great Nintendo games plus 3rd party support.

Perhaps he only wants third party games from developers who have honour and respect.

Obviously it was running in realtime, but it was also just a demo. Those types of demos don't usually place much strain on the CPU which is where the Wii U is weak.

It was real time? Damn. I thought we could possible have an even better version of Resident Evil with this new fangled pre rendering technology.

Codeblue

so it has really slow unified ram.
slow cpu.

struggles with mulitplatform ports

how is this going to handle when the going gets tough and the next gen rumbles?

It pretty much depends on how deep Japan is willing to go on development costs. Western development will likely remain at Wii levels.

I'm willing to pay $300 to have access to the next five years of Nintendo games though. Even if it was top of the line, my PC performs better than any console and the games are much cheaper, so my third party budget would still be reserved for Steam regardless.

Who cares about Microsoft's profits. We know it probably won't be over 500 bucks so all of us consumers should be hoping they pack everything they can into that thing.

If its not expensive. I don't really care. But we've seen this gen and last that just because its more powerful, doesn't mean the ports are going to optimised for this.

So a more powerful console doesn't excite me that much when it'll be multi-platform with PS3.
They might as well be equal.

Doubt I'll be going MS this gen anyway; I found that its difficult to jump back in with Live there; its fine at first with lots of games, but I just have no reason to buy third party on 360 and not PC; whilst first party require I pay for online. Same with the Indie titles.

We'll see what they do with Live first. A lower price on 720 might pull me in, I'd like to play Halo 4.

Anyways - my main thought is a healthy three platforms are best for the industry. MS has done a lot of good; I doubt without them that online would be as wide as it is.

Somnid

All those countless Wii U spec threads filled with endless hype were leading to the glorious nega-orgasm that is this hardware's release.

This is every hardware release. After hyping what it does for a year and people get their hands on it they naturally ask what it doesn't do.

What in hindsight may be regarded as a total failure was the Wii U third-party line-up announcement at E3 2011: Reggie showed a few logos: off the top of my head Arkham city, Aliens: colonial marines, Assassin creed III, Ghost recon, Darksiders II and Metro: last night.

Those announcements were altogether underwhelming even then, but most of all, in the light of all the issues I have been witnessing these days, I have the impression of an embarassing lack of strategy as regards Wii U third-party launch line-up; OK, we know W101, MH3GU and Bayonetta 2 are coming and will be hopefully handsome, but I feel for some time they have backed the wrong horses and hope Nintendo will address soon their issues with third parties.

man, people are even comparing the zelda demo to metro? jesus, the wiiU launch really did a number on some of you.

i mean, seriously, this vs this is not even comparable on the tech side.

Raven77

let me just say this, okay, me and my pal Josh were talking and we both agree that you are truly playing a next gen system when it can't run games yet to be release on 7 year old systems.

Nintendo...what have you done?

Perhaps he only wants third party games from developers who have honour and respect.

It was real time? Damn. I thought we could possible have an even better version of Resident Evil with this new fangled pre rendering technology.
lol what does this mean

Majmun

It was concerning half a year to a year ago. Now it's just par for course. Nintendo continue their reign of "not getting it."

Basically, yeah.

Nintendo doesn't seem to have learned from their Wii-era.

Sure, the Wii was a massive success, but its popularity faded away since 2010 or so. And Nintendo is still sticking within the same thinking model...

RM8

For a while I did believe the power gap, while big, wouldn't be as huge as with Wii vs PS360 this generation. I'm not surprised, though, they're obviously trying again with what worked for them last time. And I personally don't care, since I love my Wii and PS3 equally.

Still, the system I'll play the most this gen (3DS) is pretty much a Wii power-wise.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Well this isn't exactly surprising. You look at how tough times are for developers as is. If getting things running on the Wii U is an extra challenge, it might not justify the added cost. The system (as of right now) is just keeping up with the PS3 and 360, but with a much smaller install base. Some third party developers already got burned by the Wii, they might just just focus on getting a couple more years out of the Sony and Microsoft systems and then focus on getting a jump start on developing for their successors.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Devs actually have to run clean streamlined code, oh no...

They're already forced to do this on PS3 and 360. It's not like either of those systems have CPUs that tolerate 'bad' code very well.

In fact, with a OoOE architecture, one would expect the Wii U CPU to be more tolerant of less optimised code.

It's not very hard at all to believe that there's just a performance deficit here.

UberTag

What has Nintendo's R&D department been doing for the last, oh, decade? It's like George Costanza with the Penske file. I honestly feel that Sony or Microsoft could cobble together a superior system in 6 months and sell it for the same price.
They could.
And it would sell 1/10 of the amount because of Mario and Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest and Pokemon.
Nintendo could release the Atari 2600 tomorrow and so long as it was the established home of Japan's greatest gaming franchises the Japanese would flock to it and abandon all technically superior gaming value options.

(Am I calling them sheep led by their Famitsu overlords? Why yes. Yes I am. Then again, one could say the same thing about North American Call of Duty enthusiasts.)

Hazanko

Banned
It is disappointing news and I don't have too much faith on Zelda anymore. Luckily the Wii U has monster hunter, that's the only 3rd party game I need.

A lot of fun with great looking and playing games???

With the heavy hitters still yet to come???

Man, some of you play numbers intead of videogames.

And what about more than high chances of getting ignored by 3rd parties like Wii?

People wanted a decent powerhouse not because "OH GOOD GRAPHIX" instad because a decent machine would have been more chances of 3rd parties getting more multiplatform games there.

Not only most of actual 360/PS3 ports sucks, chances of getting PS4/720 games there are more than slim...

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I like Nintendo's franchises and would prefer that they get with the times, as their games would benefit from more powerful hardware and competent online.

Well, I accepted that Wii U would not be the only console for the next generation of consoles, but that it would be a great "other" console to have (as I was saying in another thread, here is very concise form, this might very well be deliberate by Nintendo) with kick-ass first party games and hopefully some small third parties doing interesting things with the GamePad. That's how I justify my pre-order (well, one of the reasons) anyways.

Mooreberg

This might be the most muted response to a console launch I have seen. PS3 still wins the shit hitting the fan" award for pricing, but the developer reaction to this thing is horrendous.

Oh man, the Wii U seems like a total flip for developers used to porting games to PS3. The 360 was very balanced, it seems, while the PS3 always gave developers issues as a result of its strong, but bizarre, CPU architecture combined with a slow GPU. The Wii U seems to offer a much faster GPU than the PS3 along with a much slower CPU.

it's sure looking that way. it's interesting that the dev isn't 100% certain that the Wii U version would have turned out worse, just that it was going to be a lot of work, to work around that 'horrible slow' CPU.

I find it odd that something like AC3 wouldn't be effected by having such a horrible, clow CPU. Would something like Last Light really require a good CPU in a way that AC3 does not?

Top Bottom