• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Last Light dev: 'Wii U has horrible, slow CPU' [Up: DICE dev comments]

Linkup

Makes sense, why spend all this time and resources tweaking everything to make a Wii U version that will only sell to this small userbase.

Hope the PC version makes it.

Basically, yeah.

Nintendo doesn't seem to have learned from their Wii-era.

Sure, the Wii was a massive success, but its popularity faded away since 2010 or so. And Nintendo is still sticking within the same thinking model...

It's not all about graphics horsepower. Never has been.
Bring on Super Mario Galaxy 3.

Log4Girlz

These guys don't know what the fuck they are talking about. They clearly don't have the talent to utilize the revolutionary edram and gpgpu. Wii u may struggle with quick ports of current gen games but just watch those next gen engines fly.

This may come as a surprise to you, but games run on hardware.

This may come as a surprise to you, Nintendo has some very good developers, arguably the best in business.

This is not the Atari 2600, with the best of the best developers, the games should be exceptional.

Is anyone really going to play Bayonetta 2 and Retro's next game and wonder what Nintendo was thinking???

Maybe "some" here.

2010's Metro 2033 was doing more than Nintendo's E3 Zelda tech demo. They know their graphical shit.
Is it reasonable to accept conclusions from a developer who has had nothing but an "early look" at the hardware? Doesn't sound like they've spent any time actually developing on a WiiU, so how does one weigh their opinion?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Do you guys expect the Wii U to last until 2017-2018 considering its hardware if more developpers think the same way, especially with other next-gen consoles coming? Sure, the Wii did great even with its crappy hardware vs more advanced consoles, but the Wii U won't be able to replicate that.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They're already forced to do this on PS3 and 360. It's not like either of those systems have CPUs that tolerate 'bad' code very well.

Apparently, it was not too too difficult, when the toolchain was younger, to get general purpose code performance below that of the Emotion Engine's R5900i CPU on the PPE... o_O...

oh god, you have to be kidding me.

Wii U hardware truly turned out to be the absolutely WORST case scenario.

Nintendo has succeeded in going below the lowest of the lowest expectations people had.

It's not next gen.
It's not current gen plus.
It's current gen minus.

Wtf. It's actually amazing the lid remained on the pot of truth has been kept closed untill after the launch.

UberTag

Do you guys expect the Wii U to last until 2017-2018 considering its hardware if more developpers think the same way, especially with other next-gen consoles coming? Sure, the Wii did great even with its crappy hardware vs more advanced consoles, but the Wii U won't be able to replicate that.
The WiiU will last that long simply due to boasting unequivocal domination of Japan.
And the strength of Nintendo IPs.
Any and all Western third-parties could drop support for the system tomorrow and Nintendo could still coast along with their first-party efforts and Japanese third-party interests (both exclusive and otherwise).
#1 in Japan and #3 everywhere else (#2 if Sony continues to struggle financially) isn't such a bad deal. Nintendo will still be making mad profits. And that doesn't even factor in their domination of the portable space.

Frankly, it's a GOOD thing the WiiU is so underpowered. Guarantees more support from the Japanese development community that way.

This may come as a surprise to you, Nintendo has some very good developers, arguably the best in business.

This is not the Atari 2600, with the best of the best developers, the games should be exceptional.

Is anyone really going to play Bayonetta 2 and Retro's next game and wonder what Nintendo was thinking???

Maybe "some" here.

It's funny how it's all about the games now and how graphics don't matter when for the past year+ graphics and spec talk regarding Wii U were all the rage -- see the dozen or so speculation threads with thousands of posts each for proof.

They could.
And it would sell 1/10 of the amount because of Mario and Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest and Pokemon.
Nintendo could release the Atari 2600 tomorrow and so long as it was the established home of Japan's greatest gaming franchises the Japanese would flock to it and abandon all technically superior gaming value options.

(Am I calling them sheep led by their Famitsu overlords? Why yes. Yes I am. Then again, one could say the same thing about North American Call of Duty enthusiasts.)

LOL

Maybe "some" here.

LOL, dude this is a thread about hardware. Why do you want to change the subject? It's great you're enjoying your Wii U games, but that's beside the point.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
At this point, with all negative comments by developers its hard to believe that the Wii U is even on par with the current generation..

I think the issue is that it isn't that simple.

GPU, amount of ram (debates over the effect of ram speed aside), are clearly above what's in the PS3 and 360. We have devs specifically citing they can open up with textures and effects on Wii U.

The problem is all the debate over whether the CPU is 'different but equal' for practical purposes, or all around weaker. Or it varies on an engine by engine, game by game basis.

It's funny how it's all about the games now and how graphics don't matter when for the past year+ graphics and spec talk regarding Wii U were all the rage -- see the dozen or so speculation threads with thousands of posts each for proof.

Is this that NeoGAF 'hivemind' thing where it is presumed the same people who said one thing, are now saying the opposite?

The obsession over Wii U hardware has kind of been a running joke you know.

On the contrary, I seem to remember a fair number of people who have been pretty consistent about "games matter more than graphics" through the entire saga. Besides this, don't commit the typical oversimplification... characterizing the position that games matter most as a statement that graphics don't matter. This is a fairly annoying trend (not pointing at you specifically). Someone reminds everyone that games matter, they get dismissed as a luddite in denial about the importance of technology.

Basically, yeah.

Nintendo doesn't seem to have learned from their Wii-era.

Sure, the Wii was a massive success, but its popularity faded away since 2010 or so. And Nintendo is still sticking within the same thinking model...

You really should put two and two together. Let me show you:

Sure, the Wii was a massive success

And Nintendo is still sticking within the same thinking model...

It's called business.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
By the way, would this developer be breaking any NDA contracts with Nintendo here?

I think Nintendo itself, or Wii-U exclusives will not be ham-stringed, I can see ports being a problem though.

To be honest the only reason I got a Wii U is for its (inevitable) delicious 1st party offerings...and any 3rd party ports that perform better than 360/PS3 (if there is such a thing...)

Because you should raise your expectations, especially when you're paying possibly $350 for it. You're a consumer, and should demand the most for your money. Great Nintendo games plus 3rd party support.

My expectations were a better looking Wii and as far as I can tell that's exactly what I got. Would I love strong third party support? Of course. If it isn't there it isn't there. It wont be the end of the world.

I hope you're not one of those people who gets upset when there's a long stretch of nothing released for the Nintendo console.

Shit. You caught me.

ASIS

M°°nblade;44558991 said:
oh god, you have to be kidding me.

Wii U hardware truly turned out to be the absolutely WORST case scenario.

Nintendo has succeeded in going below the lowest of the lowest expectations people had.

It's not next gen.
It's not current gen plus.
It's current gen minus.

Wtf. It's actually amazing the lid remained on the pot of truth has been kept closed untill after the launch.
Actually this isworse than the worst case scenario.

Risette

A Good Citizen

Maybe "some" here.
I'm aware of the talent of Nintendo's developers, but I think it's a shame that they're going to be inherently limited by bargain bin hardware yet again.

It's understandable to see why people are disappointed.

AzaK

So, we already knew the CPU was "slow" but that doesn't address optimizing for OoO vs In order.

Secondly, the way he said "possibly to its detriment" made me think that it's just a lot of work like the PS3 to get a good version running anid they didn't have the resources or confidence the CPU wouldn't bite them in the arse.

Basically Wii U is a slow machine with fast EDRAM and more modern GPU that needs a lot of effort to get working well. Wish it wasn't so hard for devs.

I still remember how Wii U was supossed to be 3x or 4x times more powerful than current hardware... lol

Gamers: "Nintendo, give us an HD console!"

Nintendo releases and HD console.

Gamers: "Not HD enough!"

I'm already enjoying this new console generation. I cannot wait for what MS and Sony shows us.

Codeblue

I think that's unfair to him. If people really did switch viewpoints when all this came out, they deserve to be derided for being hypocrites, but you can't really attribute that to people who legitimately don't care (Unless you dug into his post history and caught some inconsistencies).

ironcreed

Banned
Still have interest in the Wii U and will be hoping for the best. I expect there will still be some great exclusives that will make me finally bite at some point, but the launch has made me glad indeed that I decided to hold off. Pretty rough start.

I think that's unfair to him. If people really did switch viewpoints when all this came out, they deserve to be derided for being hypocrites, but you can't really attribute that to people who legitimately don't care (Unless you dug into his post history and caught some inconsistencies).

It wasn't directed at him specifically, but overall they seem to be gravitating back towards the "it's about the games, not graphics" mantra, despite tens of thousands of posts discussing said graphics over the past year and a half.

Top Bottom