• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ubisoft's new bullshot practice: pretending an old game looked worse than it did

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a story behind this? What game is it from?

It's an image from better days.

MS marketing shopped a standard photoshop lens flare on top of an xbox snowboard game screenshot and got lambasted for it, they even issued a public apology for it.

Now false advertising is normal instead of illegal.

Yup.

Also:

svG6fEw.gif

Is the pixelated version from a PS2 game or one of the DS games?

I think those sprites are world map sprites shown as battle map ones to fool people. Can someone check?

Yeah I pointed that out here based on what someone said on Reddit. I haven't seen anyone post any good screenshots of the world map though to confirm.

I want to know what the source is. Maybe Ubisoft's comparison was really to show off the differences in the world map sprites?

greyskull

Does Ubisoft have separate divisions that are all failing to get the memo until they screw up on their own? At this point I'm starting to think they're being done on purpose.

Armaros

The battle and the overworld sprites are the same except for sizes.
7wAy87S.gif

And why would someone use the battle background when comparing overworld sprites? Any HoMM III vet will instantly see that background as a battle, and make the connection, "these are battle sprites"

And why would someone use the battle background when comparing overworld sprites? Any HoMM III vet will instantly see that background as a battle, and make the connection, "these are battle sprites"
Yup. This shit is extremely blatant from the perspective of a life long Heroes fan.

Datapack

Banned

I know, but that doesn't change the fact they they're the same sprite just flipped and made smaller.

So that scene doesn't appear in any of the PS2 or 3DS games, interesting.

I'm pretty sure that scene does appear in the PS2 version. I'm saying they didn't bother to load up a PS2 and capture the footage from that scene for the comparison vid: that it was easier for them to just pixlelate the footage they already did have from the HD version.

I think the pixelated one is derived from the new blurry model directly and not from the old one. Notice the blue dot and aura in the lightning, vs the old that has none

Also the shape looks close to the new one, they just pixelated them and presented as the "bad old look" lol

This would be hilarious if true. That they couldn't even be bothered to make the effort of pixelating the true image.

No pixel experts here who can confirm/deny?

fernoca

Yep...not new and not something from Ubisoft.

They usually do it to show the "now in HD" aspect of ths remaster, and intentionally either blurry the original game or take the 640 x 480 source and enlarge it to 1920 x 1080 to say like "see how blurry it looked and how clean it looks now!!". :p

Vash63

Yep...not new and not something from Ubisoft.

They usually do it to show the "now in HD" aspect of ths remaster, and intentionally either blurry the original game or take the 640 x 480 source and enlarge it to 1920 x 1080 to say like "see how blurry it looked and how clean it looks now!!". :p

For games that actually ran at 640x480 that isn't all that unfair. It's going to get scaled up. This is much worse as the original ran at near HD res anyway and they took samples at sub-SD. PC has been 'HD' for a long time.

Nikodemos

Why didn't they just take a few screenshots of GOG's edition and use those for comparison? Sure, the difference wouldn't have been that big, and people would've fought over whether the old style or the new one is better, but at least they would be spared another embarassing episode.

Oh, and I suspect the "missing source code" explanation to be BS. I don't see how Armageddon's Blade and Shadow of Death would have different source code, particularly since they weren't expandalones. I'm pretty certain the modders who made Wake of Gods would have been more than able to mod GOG's H3Complete version with the new content. I'm waiting for Ubi to announce that they've 'miraculously' found AB and SoD a short while after they release Restoration of Erathia HD.

Rapstah

The original titan looks like he's holding a lightning bolt. The new one looks like he's holding a fucking light saber....

Also, I agree, this practice is disgusting.

The Titan unit in Heroes 3 is a ranged unit. That's supposed to be a lightning bolt. Now, Titans are the upgraded version of Giants, which don't have a ranged attack, but both units have the same weapon in their sprite, so maybe someone re-drew the Giant sprite and then added armour to it and made that the Titan sprite without thinking about it.

Giant:
giant.gif

Titan:
titan.gif

jay

Why didn't they just take a few screenshots of GOG's edition and use those for comparison? Sure, the difference wouldn't have been that big, and people would've fought over whether the old style or the new one is better, but at least they would be spared another embarassing episode.

Generally, the hope of more sales is why companies use deceptive marketing tactics.

KiraXD

Yup.

Also:

svG6fEw.gif

to be fair i dont think they were trying to fool anyone with this... its more of an effect that looked cool for the trailer... not last gen then poof remaster. more likeit goes from fuzzy to crisp... iono... does anyone honestly think they were trying to fool anyone with this?

does anyone honestly think they were trying to fool anyone with this?

Yes. 100% sure someone down the line from conception to signing off on it, thought "yeah, this will totally make the HD version look badass, even if it is totally misrepresentative"

That's marketing. Obviously not everyone will fall for it, most will just take it as standard marketing bullcarp - but there *are* people who take it at face value.

Just look at infomercials.

Adaren

to be fair i dont think they were trying to fool anyone with this... its more of an effect that looked cool for the trailer... not last gen then poof remaster. more likeit goes from fuzzy to crisp... iono... does anyone honestly think they were trying to fool anyone with this?

They could have gotten actual PS2 footage for the "before". At best, it's lazy and meant to get an emotional reaction through hyperbolic metaphor instead of actual footage. At worst, it's dishonest.

thanks for the name of the game and context guys.

The screenshot is from an old PS2 game called Amped. Before it's release, this screenshot was published as promotional material. Not only is it clearly a bullshot, but a lens flare was cleverly placed in the shot for god knows what reasons.

It's become a good example of when bullshots go wrong.

image_300143_620.jpg

Actual screenshot

amped-freestyle-snowboarding-xbox-3412.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom