• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection releasing on June 6

Melchiah

Well if this gets good support then there's a higher chance that the series can be revitalised in the future. It's not like they're half arsesing it either, there's clearly been a LOT of work out into the Collection and Sony's actually marketing it. Yeah it sucks that Liverpool closed, but this doesn't have to be the end of this franchise.

Without the remaster, those who don't have Vita wouldn't have the chance to play 2048, and the same goes for HD/Fury for those who don't have PS3. As sad as it is that Studio Liverpool was closed nearly half a decade ago, it's great that both games are made available on the PS4, keeping the legacy alive.

Greenymac

Am I the only one that plays Wipeout in first person? It's way easier for me to take curves properly.

I like to see my ship positioning and tilt for those odd terrain barrel rolls especially at flash speed where you can sideshift your ship across certain areas and create barrel roll opportunities.

Melchiah

Am I the only one that plays Wipeout in first person? It's way easier for me to take curves properly.

Nope. I've played that way ever since the PS1 days. The same goes for all racers, Driveclub, Trackmania, and MotorStorm included.

yurinka

I always play racing games in first person. It's a shame that some like Mario Kart 8 don't have this option.

I also like first person because it gives me more visibility and increases the sense of speed mostly because the camera is typically closer to the road than the 3rd person.

The fact that there is still no Steelbook version in the US is disappointing. That's the only reason I've haven't pre-ordered the game yet, still hoping it'll eventually be available.

jett

D-Member
Aw yea others like me. Sense of speed is so much higher in first person too.

I like to see my ship positioning and tilt for those odd terrain barrel rolls especially at flash speed where you can sideshift your ship across certain areas and create barrel roll opportunities.

Yeah barrel rolls are definitely harder to deal with in first person.

Sorry i want to see my barrel rolls

Why see 'em when you can feel 'em.

I respect first person view, and the people who play it.

But for me it always feels like important information is missing, and I constantly crave it until I eventually switch back to third.

Exception so far is Driveclub VR, where I love being inside the cars.

Not at all. I actually play hood view in most racing games because I feel like it's easier to judge turns that way; Wipeout HD is the game that had me pick that habit up.

Yeah I was under the impression that every track was playable with every ship but idk

I've not really assumed anything because I was hoping that it'd all be incorporated into a single, remixed campaign, but we're not getting that, so the campaigns at least, are quite separate.

But I hope that ships can cross over, as well as features like powerups, and the HUD. Otherwise it may feel quite disjointed.

Unknown?

I've not really assumed anything because I was hoping that it'd all be incorporated into a single, remixed campaign, but we're not getting that, so the campaigns at least, are quite separate.

But I hope that ships can cross over, as well as features like powerups, and the HUD. Otherwise it may feel quite disjointed.
I thought the only campaign in this game was 2048 though.

From what I've noticed, both games are housed in the same menu, so no need to launch each game separately. Some sound effects have been redone and are used across both games for consistency, and the female announcer from HD is used in 2048 instead of the male one, but I hope they give us the option to switch between them.

They've said ships from HD can't be used in 2048 and vice-versa for balancing/handling reasons. Because of the way ship types work in 2048, it wouldn't make much sense to make all ships usable across every campaign without completely reworking the way ship classes work.

Not sure if they have HUD options and whether C,B,A,A+ classes from 2048 have been renamed to match HD's Venom, Phantom, etc.

Trophy list: http://psntrophyleaders.com/game/view/wipeout-omega-collection-ps4

My "favourites", that will kill me or my controller:

(Gold) Beat Zico: 2048
Equal or beat the lap time of 32.5 seconds on Downtown circuit, Speed Lap, A class, using the Feisar Speed ship

(Gold) Mach 1.5
Reach Zone 65 in any Zone Event

(Gold) Beat Zico: HD
Equal or beat the lap time of 30.82 seconds on Anulpha Pass (Forward), Speed Lap, Venom, using the Piranha

in HD, I got the Zone trophy but I never managed to beat Zico.

Shin-Ra

The (three) online trophies look fairly easy.

Finish 10 online races
Win 10 online races
Destroy 50 ships in Online Eliminator or Combat Events

and Zone Zeus (reach zone 75) has been toned down a little to zone 65.

The trophy list is better presented on PSN Profiles.

AllEchse

So will this still have that weird online campaign of 2048? Never really liked that one.

I finished the offline campaign but at the end of that I was rank 26, meaning that I would either have to replay missions and grind exp or play that online campaign to unlock the last few ships.

Trophy list: http://psntrophyleaders.com/game/view/wipeout-omega-collection-ps4

My "favourites", that will kill me or my controller:

(Gold) Beat Zico: 2048
Equal or beat the lap time of 32.5 seconds on Downtown circuit, Speed Lap, A class, using the Feisar Speed ship

(Gold) Mach 1.5
Reach Zone 65 in any Zone Event

(Gold) Beat Zico: HD
Equal or beat the lap time of 30.82 seconds on Anulpha Pass (Forward), Speed Lap, Venom, using the Piranha

I still have PTSD from Beat Zico in HD, no way Im doing that again, at the time there were no videos of how to do it and I had to figure out how to do it from scratch, I ended up playing around 4 hours of that track just over and over again.

Koopatrol

No Arcade Perfect :( At least there's no Bling Brigade, lol

Getting Beat Zico in HD will be fun again. Took awhile to beat the time at first, but after I did it once I got pretty addicted to doing it. I think my best time was 30.10 or 30.15, something around there.

I don't remember either of those giving me much trouble to be honest. Also, Beating Zico on 2048 is stupidly easy. It's not much better than the gold lap times.

The worst thing about HD were the ones where you needed to grind loyality, and destroy a load of ships online. Those types of trophies are always tedious, but skill checks, like Beat Zico and Zone Zeus, tend to be quite fun.

Shin-Ra

DEADENDTHRILLS WipEout Omega Collection photos:

http://deadendthrills.com/gallery/?gid=158

hdomega002.png

hdomega003.png

hdomega004.png

There's four more at the link.

Curufinwe

I pre-ordered the PSN version a few weeks back to get the theme, but now I have a 20% off coupon that came with my PS4 Pro. So I should have waited.

Beat Zico in 2048 is a joke compared to HD. HD basically needs total perfection.

Pretty much. I never got it on HD but got it on my first go in 2048, piece of piss there.

Going to try and get HD's on this collection, and if I don't, I'm immediately booting up my PS3 to get the same trophy there haha

BHK3

Banned
Hilarious they nerfed Zone Zeus but not Zico, That was very hard because barrel rolls were VERY finicky for me. You had to input the barrel roll the very second you were considered off the ground to get beat the time, most of the time I would just fly off with my ship turning left and right. So frustrating, not looking forward to it. If you can use fury ships then I guess it's a little easier.

Koopatrol

Apparently Beat Zico for 2048 is different in the Omega collection than on Vita

Here it is for the collection:
yIwtdLi.png

And here it is on Vita:
9RrTXpJ.png

Deimo5

Yeah this new 2048 beat zico might be awfully hard, not sure though. There must be some reason it changed, maybe zico wasnt happy with the original one. Lowering the zone trophy to 65 is pretty generous, might be the first thing i go for ha.

Got my digital preorder. I really hope this does well - I want a proper sequel to HD Fury.

The only thing that would make Omega Collection a full on proper Wipeout is a Sega Saturn port running at 15-20fps.

missile

Guys, there was a meme about wipeout hd's elite ai with subtitles like

"Bomb bomb missile bomb missile plasma bomb missile missile bomb earthquake bomb" - wipeout elite ai

Or something like that. I think it was here in some thread atthe time. Anyomlne kniw what Im talking about?
Only annoying if one is new to the game. It's actually pretty cool the AI is
"hard" on you on elite for you to actually have something to do after becoming
good at the game. Pretty cool to dodge all these weapons, if you ask me.

Top Bottom