• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection releasing on June 6

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

Can't wait.

MzAXWXl.gif

One thing I love about Wipeout which I feel is often missing in these sorts of games is how the powerup, shield and boost systems ensure that players are both always interacting with one another, and making meaningful decisions as the race progresses.

While I am also a fan of games like F-Zero and Fast Racing Neo means that there isn't a clear dissociation between a race, and a time trial. There is value in it not simply being the fastest racer that wins every time, but also sometimes, the smartest, or most resourceful.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
One thing I love about Wipeout which I feel is often missing in these sorts of games is how the powerup, shield and boost systems ensure that players are both always interacting with one another, and making meaningful decisions as the race progresses.

While I am also a fan of games like F-Zero and Fast Racing Neo means that there isn't a clear dissociation between a race, and a time trial. There is value in it not simply being the fastest racer that wins every time, but also sometimes, the smartest, or most resourceful.

This is one of the things that bothers me a little about Redout's game modes. They deserve some credit for trying to do more with modes in a racing game, but all of them still boil down to "drive the track as best you can for the best time."

Redout is really good by the way. Wipeout fans should not let that one pass them by. Has a very Wipeout-like feel, but a better sense of speed in standard speed classes and some track elements that don't really appear in Wipeout (like half pipes and cylinders).

Agent X

The thing with Bling Brigade is that you have to plan a game session with several other really good players who all completed the campaign. There is virtually no chance that you'd just waltz into some random game and encounter seven other players all sporting the campaign skins. You absolutely must arrange this ahead of time on an online forum, so that you've got a dedicated group of people who are interested in earning this trophy (or helping other players to earn it). That's how I was able to get the trophy.

One cool side effect of this is that it gives you an opportunity to get in some good games with other skilled players. :)

Ah fuck, I wonder what physical distribution is going to be like on this. I'm so stupid broke right now but I want the disc. I probably won't have any money until the end of July.

The thing with Bling Brigade is that you have to plan a game session with several other really good players who all completed the campaign. There is virtually no chance that you'd just waltz into some random game and encounter seven other players all sporting the campaign skins. You absolutely must arrange this ahead of time on an online forum, so that you've got a dedicated group of people who are interested in earning this trophy (or helping other players to earn it). That's how I was able to get the trophy.

One cool side effect of this is that it gives you an opportunity to get in some good games with other skilled players. :)

I actually WAS lucky enough to just stroll on into a Bling Brigade lobby back in the day, was awesome!

meppi

Am I the only one that plays Wipeout in first person? It's way easier for me to take curves properly.

I've always Played WipEout games in first person even in 1995.
That's actually one of the reasons why I didn't like the Vita one.
First person mode felt almost unplayable at times due to a combination of all the clutter, chaos and it feeling somewhat too low to the ground or something.
Very strange... to me it felt like third person view was the only way to consistently win races and I really didn't like that at all.

Those screenshots from DEADENDTHRILLS are absolutely gorgeous. Loving the detail on the ships, going to go to town with the photo mode myself.

These shots make me hope that there's a cockpit view added when/if there's a new Wipeout. It seems like they've got them modeled to some extent, but of course you'd need working gauges and high quality textures and modeling to make it all work.

These shots make me hope that there's a cockpit view added when/if there's a new Wipeout. It seems like they've got them modeled to some extent, but of course you'd need working gauges and high quality textures and modeling to make it all work.

This reminds me: Anybody actually play with WipEout 3's cockpit view?!

Trophy for 500 points with every team bar Van Uber? Definitely sounds to me like it won't be available post-launch :/

They usually don't tie main list trophys to dlc as it prevents people from getting the platinum so it can still be post launch or day one dlc

So judging by the trophy list this is basically a remake of the vita game? I'm in as I loved that game.

Are there no trophies for the other 2 games included in the collection? IIRC you got trophies for those games if you had it on vita.

So judging by the trophy list this is basically a remake of the vita game? I'm in as I loved that game.

Are there no trophies for the other 2 games included in the collection? IIRC you got trophies for those games if you had it on vita.

Are we looking at the same list? The HD/Fury trophies are in the list (ex. Campaign Legend: Obtain a gold medal for every cell in the HD and Fury Campaigns).

This is one of the things that bothers me a little about Redout's game modes. They deserve some credit for trying to do more with modes in a racing game, but all of them still boil down to "drive the track as best you can for the best time."

Redout is really good by the way. Wipeout fans should not let that one pass them by. Has a very Wipeout-like feel, but a better sense of speed in standard speed classes and some track elements that don't really appear in Wipeout (like half pipes and cylinders).

Agree. It's often the case in racing games broadly to be honest. If your racing game isn't combat focused then there's just not that much difference between race, time trial, and speed lap. The latter two are especially problematic.

There's a really cool video from Game Array that explains what the power up system adds to that game, and most of it applies to Wipeout too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=He8Y-Y5Dx9Q

I'm not saying I don't want games to be skill-focused, but powerups ensure that all players feel as though they're always making meaningful decisions from start to finish. In a straight up racing game like F-Zero or Fast Racing Neo, players that drop behind, with awareness that they are not as skilled as racers as those ahead of them, stop making meaningful choices and as a consequence, the game stops being interesting.

Jesse Schell from The Art of Game Design said:
A good game gives the player choices that have a real impact on what happens next

WIpeout suffers this to a degree, but there's always a sense that you can your decisions still matter. That you can catch up or do better by making the right choices, be it a decision to pick up another powerup rather than a boost, or choosing to avoid another barrel roll to help protect your ship from the guy behind.

Yeah, a friend of mine couldn't play Driveclub in the 1st person view, whereas for me the 3rd person view feels odd in all racing games, except SSX of course.

I tend to switch back and forth and end up settling on whatever gives me the best performance. I think in Wipeout you could go either way. In games like Dirt Rally I feel I need first person to really gauge the vehicles width and see the surfaces ahead.

Melchiah

I tend to switch back and forth and end up settling on whatever gives me the best performance. I think in Wipeout you could go either way. In games like Dirt Rally I feel I need first person to really gauge the vehicles width and see the surfaces ahead.

The 3rd person view can be better for things like drifting, but I just prefer the thrill and sense of speed that the 1st person view provides.

The 3rd person view can be better for things like drifting, but I just prefer the thrill and sense of speed that the 1st person view provides.

Sometimes I find that's true, but other times, certain games have less visually accurate visual correspondence to oversteer / understeer and therefore actually looking at the car can just distract you.

On some games I have found that while it will look like the car is drifting and I should start to countersteer it, in reality I should just keep driving as normal and it will correct itself. Countersteering would have just pushed me off-course therefore the third person mode wasn't especially helpful.

Shin-Ra

Melchiah

isn´t it time for the OT yet? damn, i am excited to play zone mode again in UHD + spotify

It's kinda fitting, that I'll be experiencing it first at 1080p, with UHD following at some point, since I experienced WipEout HD originally on an old tube TV, and then at 1080p a year later. I'm looking forward to getting the same jaw-dropping moment, when I finally buy a new TV.

Donos

Wipeout is one the Ip/game which i totally love but sadly can't really take full advantage out of it because you need time / racing experience and dedication to reach later races / tiers.
Bought HD / Fury for PS3 but didn't go far. Got to difficult for me to win races.

I like hard games (lots of plats of souls games) but racing and fighting games need another form of repetition and memorization of the tracks/combos to get good compared to other genres.

Probably still going to buy it to support this but probably will give up a few speed classes later.

Hackbert

Wipeout is one the Ip/game which i totally love but sadly can't really take full advantage out of it because you need time / racing experience and dedication to reach later races / tiers.
Bought HD / Fury for PS3 but didn't go far. Got to difficult for me to win races.

I like hard games (lots of plats of souls games) but racing and fighting games need another form of repetition and memorization of the tracks/combos to get good compared to other genres.

Probably still going to buy it to support this but probably will give up a few speed classes later.

yeah i know that feeling. i almost get them all, but a few of the last races are very frustrating sometimes. but i enjoy the medium speed the most. and yeah i am over 30 so kinda old.

Melchiah

yeah i know that feeling. i almost get them all, but a few of the last races are very frustrating sometimes. but i enjoy the medium speed the most. and yeah i am over 30 so kinda old.

42 here, and I was only few medals short on getting gold medals for every cell in the HD race campaign. That's with the pilot assist on. =D Sebenco Climb was by far the hardest track for me.

42 here, and I was only few medals short on getting gold medals for every cell in the HD race campaign. That's with the pilot assist on. =D Sebenco Climb was by far the hardest track for me.

I went through a weekend of smashing out the Gold campaign and Arcade Perfect trophies, was a real blast but the Sebenco one was a biittcchhh haha.

Top Bottom