• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection releasing on June 6

Xbudz

Taken from the official game website:

From my understanding, the Van Uber ship is exclusive to the digital version... Someone correct me if that's wrong please.

Whoa
.. this makes me want to cancel my physical preorder and go digital!

Not to mention Zone mode in previous games are visually linked up to the music. I've been wanting to know if that carries over as well.

When you hit a jump in HD/Fury (maybe 2048?) that the music distorts when you hit a jump.... if I remember correctly, that worked with custom songs, but the PS3 handled custom soundtracks completely differently to PS4.

I've never played a Wipeout game so I'm assuming this is a pretty good place to start?

Amazon has it for $33.56 for me with free release date shipping, they also say it comes with 4 static themes, are there any images of those floating around?

I've never played a Wipeout game so I'm assuming this is a pretty good place to start?

Amazon has it for $33.56 for me with free release date shipping, they also say it comes with 4 static themes, are there any images of those floating around?

I think it's a great place to start and, sadly, end... I can't see WipEout's long term future after this. :(

DAv5zDuWsAEYyFi.jpg

Yeah, I think this is probably the last Wipeout game we might see

The genre itself is basically dead and Wipeout sales were never that good

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

No better game than this one to start with now. HD/Fury was already fantastic on PS3 so the upgrades in this collection won't amount to that much, but you're also getting the definitive version of 2048 since it's now 60 FPS and looks much better in higher resolution with improved lighting.

Pretty great package for under $35.

My only worry is the sense of speed from gifs seems super slow, especially coming off of something like Driveclub.

Edit: also I'm assuming no cockpit view or manual gear shifting?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
My only worry is the sense of speed from gifs seems super slow, especially coming off of something like Driveclub.

The gifs are slowed down.

Wipeout doesn't feel all that fast on lower speed classes (coming mostly from F-Zero here), but higher ones and especially Zone mode feel plenty fast.

Edit: And no gear shifting, or proper cockpit mode. You can do the "first person" ship view but nothing from inside the ship.

And Zone mode actually gives a good idea of the sense of speed for the whole game since it gradually increases. Starts out slower than the slowest speed class but if you last long enough you can get much higher than the highest one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQqRIX1RMtE

Yeah, there's no issue with speed, but the lower classes, especially, do feel quite slow, especially when you know what the higher speed classes are like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDvSlssGn10 That's WipEout HD on a higher speed class.

Can't believe people play Wipeout in that outside view. Crazy.

Wipeout is the game that converted me to the inside view for all racing games.

The difference in the sense of speed is massive.

Syranth

The music I'm hearing from the captures of Omega is showing it's age. It sounds like they are going off of the original source material and not newer uncompressed audio. It may be due to YouTube's compression but the tracks sound a bit muddy and washed.

I'm not knocking it, and I'm sure it was the best they could do with the licensing of so many songs, but just something I noticed from a series that really helped me get into EDM. I was hoping that they would clean that up a bit too.

Example:
https://youtu.be/kmOD9ia2n24

I'd say it was YouTube compression if it wasn't the fact that the female announcer sounds pretty clear.

Edit: I'm hoping it was the capture because even the YouTube link that Doctor_Thomas put above from Fury had cleaner audio (but still from a newer game than their source on my first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDvSlssGn10

The music I'm hearing from the captures of Omega is showing it's age. It sounds like they are going off of the original source material and not newer uncompressed audio. It may be due to YouTube's compression but the tracks sound a bit muddy and washed.

I'm not knocking it, and I'm sure it was the best they could do with the licensing of so many songs, but just something I noticed from a series that really helped me get into EDM. I was hoping that they would clean that up a bit too.

Example:

I'd say it was YouTube compression if it wasn't the fact that the female announcer sounds pretty clear.

Edit: I'm hoping it was the capture because even the YouTube link that Doctor_Thomas put above from Fury had cleaner audio (but still from a newer game than their source on my first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDvSlssGn10

I'd wait til we have the game in our hands before calling the quality if the music. I'd be very surprised if they fucked it up.

P.s. Nice avatar. Playing Disgaea 1 at the moment, just started my second cycle.

Example:

Considering they've had someone do a pass over all of it to make sure it sounds great in 7.1 + has all the environmental effects that HD's gameplay had, I very much doubt it'll end up sounding anything less than amazing.

Also that video is from the first preview of the game at PSX last year, so that probably explains it. Sounds fine in all the recent videos.

Motion blur + translucent track = beauty

WipEoutOMEGAmblur.gif

yes ! I was worried too because they never showed the vita tracks

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

→ https://twitter.com/PlayStationDE/status/868138628077281282

what gimme gimme

I was slightly worried about WipEout 2048 tracks, but apparently, with enhanced lighting, they look gorgeous, I would say much better than HD/Fury tracks.

6uajNQn.gif

amazing I can't wait

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Everyone, please buy this so it beats expectations and we can get a VR update.

Considering how much VR adds to Thumper I can't imagine what a WipeEout VR would be like. I'm sure it's not as 'easy' as slapping it on, hence the need to justify the cost/resources but perhaps they might if it enough people get it...so...yeah. Get it.

Bumhead

Banned
I think it's a great place to start and, sadly, end... I can't see WipEout's long term future after this. :(

Really?

I'd say the future of the series has looked vastly more bleak than it does right now. The PS4 launch came and went with no news of a new Wipeout, followed by the closure of Studio Liverpool, with a big gap between that and the announcement of this game.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be surprised if this is very much a one and done throwback for fans. But at the same time I also wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being profitable enough for Sony to justify (what would be a comparatively small) investment in a new Wipeout game.

This seems to have captured people's interest in a way the last few "new" Wipeout games haven't, and Sony seem to be throwing enough marketing and nostalgia driving spotlight on this game to suggest THEY want it to succeed in a big way.

I don't think the current mainstream success of the PS4 and games like Wipeout, Parappa the Rapper and Crash Bandicoot coming back are unrelated events. This is kind of the angle Sony have been pushing since before the PS4 even launched.

Really?

I'd say the future of the series has looked vastly more bleak than it does right now. The PS4 launch came and went with no news of a new Wipeout, followed by the closure of Studio Liverpool, with a big gap between that and the announcement of this game.

Don't get me wrong I wouldn't be surprised if this is very much a one and done throwback for fans. But at the same time I also wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being profitable enough for Sony to justify (what would be a comparatively small) investment in a new Wipeout game.

This seems to have captured people's interest in a way the last few "new" Wipeout games haven't, and Sony seem to be throwing enough marketing and nostalgia driving spotlight on this game to suggest THEY want it to succeed in a big way.

I don't think the current mainstream success of the PS4 and games like Wipeout, Parappa the Rapper and Crash Bandicoot coming back are unrelated events. This is kind of the angle Sony have been pushing since before the PS4 even launched.

A new WipEout would, genuinely, be my dream game. Like, I can't think of any other sequel that would get my as excited as a new WipEout entry. God I hope this game sells well.

Any word on how mechanics / ships might overlap between 2048 and HD/Fury? I would have enjoyed, for instance, using the 2048 ships on the HD/Fury tracks.

I was hoping it wouldn't feel like two separate games. The Fury/HD tracks felt quite tacked onto 2048 on the Vita.

Iacobellis

Really?

This. Sony has been ushering in a wealth of games (new and remasters) to recapture the magic of the PS1 and PS2 days. Even their marketing pre-launch showed this. Hopefully remasters like Omega Collection are just baby steps into eventually creating new entries for the classic franchises.

Deimo5

I might use first person view more often if doing barrel rolls from there wasn't significantly disorienting for me. That is also one of the things I thought they would need a solution for if they ever want to make a VR update.

vonStirlitz

Unconfirmed Member
[Redacted as the member no longer wishes to be associated with this website, and the reputational damage and distress caused by association with this website. In addition, the user considers that the action of the management, and the nature of the site and members of its community, renders the original terms and conditions of this site void, and it unconscionable for either side to be bound to them. The user reasserts their IP rights in all content and does not give any authority for its continued usage on this website. Despite requesting that the user's account be deleted, in accordance with data protection rules which apply to this website over multiple jurisdictions, the admin team have failed to delete this account, requiring the user to take its own steps to ensure the valid deletion of data.]

I hate inside views with no cockpit though cause it feels like you're just a moving camera, also lose some perspective/fov that way
Any word on how mechanics / ships might overlap between 2048 and HD/Fury? I would have enjoyed, for instance, using the 2048 ships on the HD/Fury tracks.

I was hoping it wouldn't feel like two separate games. The Fury/HD tracks felt quite tacked onto 2048 on the Vita.
Yeah I was under the impression that every track was playable with every ship but idk

It's a poor capture. It has worse stereo imaging, most probably because it's a simple stereo capture from a mix with a higher number of channels without a proper downmix.

They actually got not only uncompressed audio, but individual stems so they can mix the music in real-time, taking into account the number of output channels. Also enables them to dynamically pan stuff, do vocals ducking when the announcer speaks etc.

BHK3

Banned

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DAv5zDuWsAEYyFi.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]

People were saying the same thing after Fury. Then we got 2048. Then they closed Liverpool. PS4 came out with no sight of a new wipeout. Now here we are with a collection thats not lazy thats actually getting marketed.

Tomeru

Guys, there was a meme about wipeout hd's elite ai with subtitles like

"Bomb bomb missile bomb missile plasma bomb missile missile bomb earthquake bomb" - wipeout elite ai

Or something like that. I think it was here in some thread atthe time. Anyomlne kniw what Im talking about?

Guys, there was a meme about wipeout hd's elite ai with subtitles like

"Bomb bomb missile bomb missile plasma bomb missile missile bomb earthquake bomb" - wipeout elite ai

Or something like that. I think it was here in some thread atthe time. Anyomlne kniw what Im talking about?
Never heard that one before but that sure sounds like third lap WipEout Pulse AI to me

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I honestly cannot personally get over how tacky this remaster feels. All this Wipeout legacy celebration in the face of closing the studio, scattering it to the four winds and ensuring there isn't a future for that legacy. It rubs me up the wrong way so hard I won't be touching this release.

I honestly cannot personally get over how tacky this remaster feels. All this Wipeout legacy celebration in the face of closing the studio, scattering it to the four winds and ensuring there isn't a future for that legacy. It rubs me up the wrong way so hard I won't be touching this release.

Well if this gets good support then there's a higher chance that the series can be revitalised in the future. It's not like they're half arsesing it either, there's clearly been a LOT of work out into the Collection and Sony's actually marketing it. Yeah it sucks that Liverpool closed, but this doesn't have to be the end of this franchise.

Top Bottom