• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions - Large Scale Tech Test on 05/11 - 05/22 + NDA drops & Sacrifice mode

Anyone playing this and found the game lagging compared to the other beta.

I'm finding the enemy is very juddery, and my weapons seem to take ages to connect even when we are close and directly in front if each other.

Like low server tick rate or something?

thejpfin

I've been playing this few hours today.
I'm not the best Quake player, but I pulled my first win with Nyx. It took 2 rounds before my quake muscle memory kicked in.

While it's fun, I can't stand champions. It would be fine if champions were just skins, but that's not the case.

I hope they add classic gamemode where every player/champion have the same stats and no abilities.

mtm5925

Can run DOOM on high at locked 60FPS
Quake Champions has constant framerate dips at mixed high/medium settings

Wot

From an interview with Tim Willits back in March

PF: What is currently the general hardware requirements Quake Champions?

Tim Willits: We are currently focused on debugging game-play and balancing Champions. We have not really started doing any work on optimization. We want to try to do everything possible to make the game playable on as many setups as possible. We have not yet begun on optimization. We should have some information on hardware requirements soon, and will publish it once we know.

The game is likely going to have better performance when it's released. And Vulkan support is coming.

Fugu

This year. Nothin concrete beyond that, and there is always the possibility they push it next year.

Lotta competition for pc fps, man. I dont think this game will explode in popularity. But i hope people play it.
This game doesn't need to blow up. In fact, it's probably better if it doesn't; Quake isn't about mass appeal, it's about high speed, high precision gameplay.

I've been playing this few hours today.
I'm not the best Quake player, but I pulled my first win with Nyx. It took 2 rounds before my quake muscle memory kicked in.

While it's fun, I can't stand champions. It would be fine if champions were just skins, but that's not the case.

I hope they add classic gamemode where every player/champion have the same stats and no abilities.

I think i read that there will be a mode with no abilities.

Can run DOOM on high at locked 60FPS
Quake Champions has constant framerate dips at mixed high/medium settings

Wot

I don't have any issues running it but yea you'd think with how bad the graphics are it could run at 60 locked on anything. Performance will improve with the main game, but I'm hoping so do the graphics.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
ZbiYCYn.jpg

4ea.jpg

Grakl

I'm a huge fan. Been playing arena shooters like UT2k4 and Quake since I was little, so I grew up with this stuff. I definitely don't mind the champions, and I actually think they're refreshing. People shouldn't latch on to old formulas too much, I think.

A few champions, like Anarki and Sorlag, are really fun. Hope there's more.

Also, duel mode seems cool. Sacrifice is a lot of fun but fuck rando teammates

Only real complaint is rocket launcher having a delay when fired. Who decided that should be a thing? Either way, everything else is good. Happy rail does 90 instead of 100 when zoomed in now.

Fugu

Okay so I've concluded that a lot of my issues with this game have to do with latency (I think). I'm not really sure what's causing it, but it's bad. Some problems:
- My LG will sometimes just stop firing but will continue to expend ammo. This problem is so frequent that I can't use the LG at all, because sometimes I'll get 30 consecutive cells with no actual shots.
- When I rj, it will take the game about a half second to register that I've rjed, slingshot me back to where I was when I did it, and then hurdle me in the air. This makes the movement very strange unless I do the rj from a stationary position, since if I do it while I'm running forward (for example), I'll move forward, "do" the rj, continue moving forward, and then get shot backwards and upwards.
- The NG is unusable. Nails come out from where I was, not where I am, and they're impossible to control. I have the same problem with rockets, but it's less significant since they're more based on prediction and do a lot more damage when they hit.

Is anyone else experiencing anything like this?

mtm5925

Only real complaint is rocket launcher having a delay when fired. Who decided that should be a thing? Either way, everything else is good. Happy rail does 90 instead of 100 when zoomed in now.

Looks like it's a technical issue, not deliberate design.

"SyncError mentioned in rapha's stream chat tonight [...] that they are currently changing the netcode for the projectiles (rockets, nailgun, etc) to server-side. This will fix the rocket delay. Here's the quote from him addressing this last part: @shane_rapha Your issue at Heavy with nails will be fixed soon as well, we're in the middle of moving projectiles to server-side.. which is why they are slightly off atm, including the famous question about rockets atm."

I think I'm going to pay money for this when its out for real. Having lots of fun playing. Coming fro PUBG to this is just so refreshing. Oh to be able to just kill people. Really like playing with my new corsair keyboard and mouse. Bought em for PUBG but love em fo rthis

f0rk

Okay so I've concluded that a lot of my issues with this game have to do with latency (I think). I'm not really sure what's causing it, but it's bad. Some problems:
- My LG will sometimes just stop firing but will continue to expend ammo. This problem is so frequent that I can't use the LG at all, because sometimes I'll get 30 consecutive cells with no actual shots.

This happens to me too. I think it's still firing, it's just the beam animation bugs out a lot.

mtm5925

This happens to me too. I think it's still firing, it's just the beam animation bugs out a lot.

If it didn't occur during firing close range...

From the patch notes:

* Lightning Gun beam distance adjusted from 960u to 768u
* Lightning Gun beam may disappear when your target is not in range (known issues)

Fugu

I did a little testing on an afk guy and it seemed that it may not just be the animation, but with no truelightning settings I can't actually confirm that since I may have just been missing according to the server.

Having said that, if they're saying that the netcode for projectiles is causing the other problems it's 100% plausible that it's causing this problem too.

Painguy

Hey all I'm trying to load up the game and everytime I do it shits itself and windows force closes it due to low memory. I have about 6gb left on my C: and 60gb on my D:. Any ideas? RAM Usage is around 20% of my 8gb.

thejpfin

Hey all I'm trying to load up the game and everytime I do it shits itself and windows force closes it due to low memory. I have about 6gb left on my C: and 60gb on my D:. Any ideas? RAM Usage is around 20% of my 8gb.
When Quake starts to load, close Bethesda Launcher in the task manager. (this worked for me)
Or try to run Quake exe in safe mode.

BNGames

Just had my first matches and did some benchmarks. I cannot BELIEVE how much ram this game eats.

Video: https://youtu.be/fGhuQMCleFU

Fractal Design Node 804
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RS800-80GAD3-US 800W
Corsair h80i v2 Liquid Cooler
Intel Core i7-6700k 4GHz (Overclocked to 4.5GHz)
ASUS STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 8GB (Overclocked to 2.1GHz)
GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170MX-Gaming 5 Z170
CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)
Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE120BW 2.5" 120GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
SAMSUNG 850 Pro Series MZ-7KE512BW 2.5" 512GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

WB1aUCo.jpg

IC5

Free some space on your C drive.

Set your swap file/pagedile/virtual memory to be a fixed size.
It is generally recommended to have a swap file which is double your RAM space. But you should be fine with the same as your RAM. So in this case, set your swap/page/virtual memory to be a constant 8192mb, on an SSD, if you have one.

jwhit28

I wonder why it uses so much memory. I have the game maxed out with only 8GB of ram in the system and I play with a stream running as well usually.

teokrazia

- The movement. I've played my fair share of DeFRaG and I've spent more hours than I can count just working on my movement skills, particularly in VQ3/QL. This game feels very sluggish in comparison. I could write a whole post about this, really, but the main things that bother me are the awkward strafe jump speed curve, the downplaying of rocket jumping, and the fact that for reasons I haven't yet been able to pin down I sometimes get an extra amount of jump height. This game doesn't have to control like VQ3, but it does need to have an emphasis on technical movement. I'm going to give this a bit more time because I could be wrong about this -- maybe I just need to get used to it -- but I don't like what I'm seeing right now. It is somewhat interesting that you can choose between VQ3 and CPMA style movement through your character choices, but I would much rather have a universal system that feels good. The movement reminds me a lot more of UT 2004 than it does of any Quake game.

I'm having similar issues with bunny and strafing.

Plus: hit reg sometimes feel like a DICE game, alot of strange and 'unclear' things happen and weapons seem to have inconsistent efficiency. To me this aspect seem to be worse than previous beta. They need to fix this shit ASAP.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
I'm having similar issues with bunny and strafing.

Plus: hit reg sometimes feel like a DICE game, alot of strange and 'unclear' things happen and weapons seem to have inconsistent efficiency. To me this aspect seem to be worse than previous beta. They need to fix this shit ASAP.

I think it's a combination of the netcode being really wonky (is this even using dedicated servers, it almost feels p2p) and the variable health among the champions. Some of these dumb characters can eat stupid amounts of damage.

There​ was more lag going on this weekend than usual, past weekend the lag was less noticeable​. So maybe it's related to the fact it's the first weekend of open beta.

teokrazia

the netcode being really wonky (is this even using dedicated servers, it almost feels p2p)

Yep, it feels the same to me.

I can deal with all the modern clichés they are putting in [ridiculous amount of hints by the announcer, enemy marker, heroes and stuff] if they are the only way to try to make this kind of game appealing to today audience.

But I really can't stand 'modern' netcode.
Arena shooters need pixel sharp and 100% reliable 'rules', all the fucking time.

54-46!

I don't understand why you'd want to remove champions from the game, without them this game would just be an inferior version of Quake 3.

My problem with this game currently is not with the champions but with its weapon balance, hitscan weapons seem to be way more effective than projectiles.. rockets are slow and feel like they're coming from behind you character when you fire.

Then there's the issue with netcode, doesn't seem to be all that great.

I like the three champion idea for the duel mode but not that it's round based.

Painguy

When Quake starts to load, close Bethesda Launcher in the task manager. (this worked for me)
Or try to run Quake exe in safe mode.

Just tried this and it didn't work, but thanks for the suggestion.

Free some space on your C drive.

Set your swap file/pagedile/virtual memory to be a fixed size.
It is generally recommended to have a swap file which is double your RAM space. But you should be fine with the same as your RAM. So in this case, set your swap/page/virtual memory to be a constant 8192mb, on an SSD, if you have one.

Lol looks like I'm not gonna play this game.

Ont

I had no issues with the netcode during the previous beta weekends. But this weekend I have noticed some lag. It is something they can fix with more optimization and by scaling up the server resources.

KingKong

theyre working on things:

The team is currently working on improving the lag on the Rocket Launcher, as some of the current issues relate to ongoing server-authoritative-projectile work, which is intended to reduce cheating and to create a better overall experience for players. We'll continue to keep you posted with any updates we have on this.

sponge: @ciwolsey there was major networking stuff w/ hitscan this patch that wasn't quite mentioned. networking changes are not going to happen in a week, or even a couple of weeks

Xyber

Have they mentioned anything about the extreme memory usage for the game? I understand that newer games will start to use more memory than they used to, but 10GB VRAM, 10GB RAM and 12GB on the pagefile for an arena shooter with fairly small maps? It uses more than BF1, a game with a much bigger scope.

Painguy

Have they mentioned anything about the extreme memory usage for the game? I understand that newer games will start to use more memory than they used to, but 10GB VRAM, 10GB RAM and 12GB on the pagefile for an arena shooter with fairly small maps? It uses more than BF1, a game with a much bigger scope.
Yeah. For real. I cant even launch the game cuz of this.

Sub_Level

I mapped electric gun to E and rail gun to R. Aside from coincidentally sharing the same starting letter, its a lot more comfortable this way.

thejpfin

Great, hackers are already ruining the game:
hmfHF59.gif

Or maybe that was a bug, dunno.
Some of these dumb characters can eat stupid amounts of damage.
Yeah. Some enemies are bullet spongy as hell.
I don't remember Quake live (I never played Q3) being this bullet spongy. Something feels off.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Why people freak out over performance and jankyness in betas is something I'll never understand.

You know it's not a demo right?

rainz

Game is so good.
Never knew how much I missed the speed of Quake all these years until now.
Performance even seems pretty damn good for an unoptimised beta. Pretty sure it will be smooth as silk come release.

Xyber

Why people freak out over performance and jankyness in betas is something I'll never understand.

You know it's not a demo right?

Where have you been the past 10 years? Most betas are pretty much demos now and very little usually changes come full release be it content or performance-wise..

So people need to speak up and make sure the complaints are heard to be sure something will be done about it. No one wins if people just keep silent about their complaints because "it's just a beta".

bee

nice patch, invisible lg bug is fixed

installing the patch with the bethesda launcher was very similar to steam, click install, let it error out about a file permission, then it deletes your game, then it errors out again on a reinstall with the same message, so you have to uninstall the launcher, reinstall then download the full game again, what could be simpler

Sub_Level

Yea mine was 5 minutes. My speed is not that high, but I did do it in the morning so maybe traffic was fast? I dunno.

Xyber

I feel like I'm actively turning people off of the game when my friend and I are getting us the win almost every single game by just stomping the "noobs" who are running around playing like it was a CoD game.

Neither of us have really played an arena shooter before (just some minor experience with UT), but it doesn't take much to figure out how to play it "properly". And if you know the basics and are good at shooters you will wreck most new players.

XBwM5ME.png

Top Bottom