• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions - Large Scale Tech Test on 05/11 - 05/22 + NDA drops & Sacrifice mode

kosmologi

Feels really good based on a couple of matches. Performance is good, too. Not a fan of the champion sell model though, you can only "rent" them with in-game currency.

>:)

Pros

+ Characther voices are not as bad as the trailers suggested. If you can tolerate Overwatch's voices, then this shouldn't bother you in the least.

+ One of the fastest FPS not named Tribes that I've played in some time. Everything else feels like slow motion now.

+ Performance is silky smooth.

Cons

- Weapon spawn times. Takes about 10 seconds for a weapon to spawn once grabbed, but that 10 seconds might as well be 10 minutes, with everyone 'waiting' for it.

- The abilities didn't bother me as much as I thought, but there's definately some huge balance issues there.

- I realize it's a beta and all, but good lord at the beginning load times. Damn near PSOne levels of wait right there.

- Has the slowest Rocket Launcher since Quake 2. Huge oversight considering how fast paced the game is.

- Tanks. They offer zero advantage here. Clutch in particular has the ability to take 20% less damage if he walks (LMAO) rather than go F-Zero GX speeds like everyone else.

- The announcer. This mother fucker seriously needs his own volume slider. He's louder than anything else in the game, and once the Quad comes into play here...

ENEMY HAS THE QUAD!

Good to know I suppose

ENEMY HAS THE QUAD!

You just said that...

ENEMY HAS THE QUAD!

We get it!

ENEMY HAS THE QUAD!

DOES THE ENEMY HAVE THE QUAD?!?

YOUR TEAM HAS THE QUAD!

@%@$#@$!!

Other than that, looking forward to see the improvements as we go along here.

Skyzard

Banned
that's because it's all about the quad :p

OT title suggestion: Quad Spawns in 15s

I really like his voice in this. Real good deep announcer. Characters...I can take them or leave them, whatever. They all seem fun enough and you're always getting armour upgrades anyway. Great graphics, real nice speed.

Rocket launcher could use a little boost, but it's new Quake, and they've done pretty well.

What I've found is that is very easy to get daily challenges which gives you lots of one of the currencies. You easily can win enough to unlock a champion for 24 hours in just three rounds. So even a casual player can play other champion every other day.

Oh, definitely. I was able to comfortably rent 1-3 heroes per day, with enough Favor left over to do it all again the next day.

Players who just want to play F2P can definitely play more than just Ranger.

KingKong

I'm enjoying this and I think fixing the netcode and rocket launcher like they're talking about would make it 10x better to play

I just hope its not launching with only 3 maps

Xyber

Weapon spawn times. Takes about 10 seconds for a weapon to spawn once grabbed, but that 10 seconds might as well be 10 minutes, with everyone 'waiting' for it.

It's 5 seconds, which I actually think is too fast. I think it should be 10.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Had my first ever match that went into overtime. Phew.

y3OwJ22.jpg

Fugu

My overall opinion of this game is that it's almost universally a downgrade from Q3A/QL but it's still good. I haven't decided yet if the comparative ease of finding players is worth the fact that it's a significantly worse game compared to QL (especially with my aforementioned really, really bad load times) but I'll stick with it for a bit. I've got thousands of hours on QL and its slow death is actually tragic as I'm still pretty sure it's the best FPS ever made; I'm hoping this can become something that will fill the void.

Things I like:
- The maps. I mean, one of them is basically just dm6, but the point is the maps are nice.
- Weapon switching is basically identical to VQ3. I'm fine with that.
- The basic Q3A gameplay is still in there somewhere (mechanical skill, map control, mind games, etc.). This is the most important point.

Things I don't like/I think could be better:
- The rocket launcher. This has been discussed to death but this seriously needs fixing. Just make it travel at a fixed speed and come out earlier. Quake 2's rocket launcher is the worst in the series! Why would you model it after that one?!
- The movement. I've played my fair share of DeFRaG and I've spent more hours than I can count just working on my movement skills, particularly in VQ3/QL. This game feels very sluggish in comparison. I could write a whole post about this, really, but the main things that bother me are the awkward strafe jump speed curve, the downplaying of rocket jumping, and the fact that for reasons I haven't yet been able to pin down I sometimes get an extra amount of jump height. This game doesn't have to control like VQ3, but it does need to have an emphasis on technical movement. I'm going to give this a bit more time because I could be wrong about this -- maybe I just need to get used to it -- but I don't like what I'm seeing right now. It is somewhat interesting that you can choose between VQ3 and CPMA style movement through your character choices, but I would much rather have a universal system that feels good. The movement reminds me a lot more of UT 2004 than it does of any Quake game.
- The champions. This is a totally worthless addition to the game. It serves zero gameplay purpose to tie movement abilities and health caps(?!) to character model. A perk system would have worked better, although, like many others, I'd be fine if there were no abilities at all.
- Clearly the designers have attempted to give spawning players more of an advantage and have attempted to limit the viability of stacking. I think this is fine for free-for-all but really ruins a lot of the higher-level strategy of TDM that developed in QL. Weapon control is almost entirely gone in this game since TDM uses FFA-style weapon timers (weapon spawns every five seconds) and item control doesn't matter as much for a few reasons, like the fact that it's literally impossible to get as stacked as it is in every other Quake game and the enemies pooping armor when they die.
- No CTF. I'm sure this will be changed but... seriously. We need CTF.
- I don't love the nailgun. In general I consider the PG to be an improvement on the NG/SNG and I think that the change to a slower moving, powerful projectile was generally a good one.

EDIT: Also, fix the load times. Holy shit. Literally 22 minutes to start the game.

Tahnit

Banned
Sad to say I am not feeling this game. They definitely kept the speed of the game but something feels off in comparison to Q3.

I also can't stand the look of the weapons on the map, why not make them a 3d model of the actual gun like in Q3? Way better.

Because it would blend into the background. Which is why things are color coded. Most people in quake 3 turned off 3d models for pickups for this reason.

Kadin

Enjoying the game quite a bit, has much been revealed so far as to how they'll be pricing everything they'll be offering?

Fugu

Is there an equivalent to r_picmip available for this game? I'd also like to change my FoV... I haven't looked into any of this stuff.

MimiMe

Rocket Arena Champions and a server browser would be amazing.
Abilities are not that bad but I still can't decide wheter I like them or not.

Load times and matchmaking are just bad things for a Quake game.

Vee_One

Played a few matches
Love the throwback to classic q3 maps. Very sensible.
Not sure of the names in Champions but one is almost a remake of Q3DM6 and Burial Chamber(?) is very similar to Q3DM7

I don't like the champions aspect
Seems to lag but my ping isn't particularly bad.
Sounds design is terrible
Music needs to amp you up more, I don't need quiet piano pieces whilst I play Quake - I need some thumping metal or techno. Chris Vrenna is fantastic but this doesn't fit the atmosphere of the game

It NEEDS to be on Steam otherwise it will be doa. Bethesda launcher is crap and doesn't fill me with confidence for the future

The Flash

Banned
Enjoying the game quite a bit, has much been revealed so far as to how they'll be pricing everything they'll be offering?

Not yet. Ranger will be free to use, you can rent other characters with in-game money for 24 real time hours, unlock other characters via loot boxes, or buy the Champion Pack which unlocks everyone. Price for the Champion Pack hasn't been announced yet.

Fugu

Rocket Arena Champions and a server browser would be amazing.
Abilities are not that bad but I still can't decide wheter I like them or not.

Load times and matchmaking are just bad things for a Quake game.
QL effectively has matchmaking because all of the servers have elo bots. It works great for a game with such a high skill gap.

SpokkX

As a former competative Quake player (1, 2 and 3, never live etc) i thought the core gameplay was not bad actually. Feels like quake at least

However...

I uninstalled it after 5 matches because of all crap surrounding the game
- bethesda launcher?? Really?
- looks like an ad-filled web page menu wise
- free to play crap model with "champions" that are supposed to be "cool"
- buying legendary gear? Wtf??
- champion abilities?? One goes invisible.. nope

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I quit after having no kills while people had 30+. Then I realized my wi-fi was saturated thanks to Amazon drive syncing. I'll try again later.

Kadin

As a former competative Quake player (1, 2 and 3, never live etc) i thought the core gameplay was not bad actually. Feels like quake at least

However...

I uninstalled it after 5 matches because of all crap surrounding the game
- bethesda launcher?? Really?
- looks like an ad-filled web page menu wise
- free to play crap model with "champions" that are supposed to be "cool"
- buying legendary gear? Wtf??
- champion abilities?? One goes invisible.. nope
And that would be Nyx. She's the character I play the most and love her ability. Timing it perfectly on top of another player when she reappears is immensely gratifying. Yeah I still die more than I should but I'm improving!

Ont

You really shouldn't have survived as long as you did only using the shotgun for the first part of the video. :p

Yeah I realized when I was editing the video that a single hit would have killed me number of times during that sequence.

Sacrifice is lot of fun when you get two teams with players who understand the gamemode.

If any EU players want to team up, add me in the game: Ont9.

Ont

200.gif

Have you ever done her energy trail circling around an enemy? Its really just for the novelty rather than because its actually useful, but its fuggin funny whenever it works.

Yes, all the time. In Sacrifice, I usually circle around the obelisk when the enemy team arrives. :)

low-G

I've been playing it off and on.

So, I played a lot of Q1 & Q2 online, and semi-competitive clan player in Q3. I think this game is really good. I have no major complaints. One of the best F2P I've ever played (World of Tanks being another, but there is a paywall to that one, eventually).

I wish people were a bit more open minded with the champions. Making it another q3 would just kill the playerbase. Some abilities like invisibility and shield are a bit iffy but otherwise I think this injection of personality was very much needed.

>:)

And that would be Nyx. She's the character I play the most and love her ability. Timing it perfectly on top of another player when she reappears is immensely gratifying. Yeah I still die more than I should but I'm improving!

She's also the only one that could wall jump, which I find 10x more useful than that disappearing act.

Ont

I wish people were a bit more open minded with the champions. Making it another q3 would just kill the playerbase. Some abilities like invisibility and shield are a bit iffy but otherwise I think this injection of personality was very much needed.

Yes, I fully agree. Also, I think they are off to a good start with more than 30k viewers on Twitch currently. Classic arena shooter with no new ideas does not have that appeal.

More importantly, the game is fun to play.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Yes, I fully agree. Also, I think they are off to a good start with more than 30k viewers on Twitch currently. Classic arena shooter with no new ideas does not have that appeal.

More importantly, the game is fun to play.
26k of those follow summit and will probably be gone the moment he is :p

Magwik

Banned
So I've talked a lot of shit on here about the game since the announcement and after playing just one match I'm glad to see I was wrong about everything. It's super fun and is something I definitely will be sticking around with when it launches. Hopefully they do a bit of work on the menu though.

'Basically my stance. I never really played Quake Live, but the champions aspect of Quake Champions is what got me really wanting to play it. I loved Quake 3 in my youth, but I never really learned the intricacies of its gameplay. Quake Champions being the way it is has inspired me to get better at Quake, since I love versus gameplay involving characters.

I've been playing it off and on.

So, I played a lot of Q1 & Q2 online, and semi-competitive clan player in Q3. I think this game is really good. I have no major complaints. One of the best F2P I've ever played (World of Tanks being another, but there is a paywall to that one, eventually).

Is free to play confirmed?

Fugu

So we all agree the nail gun sucks, right? At first I thought it was "ok, if you learn how to use it then its good". But no it just kinda sucks.
It works a lot like the original nail gun in that it's a decent all-purpose gun if you don't have any of the specific function weapons (RG, LG, RL).

Xyber

There's so much I enjoy about this game, but this damn performance is terrible. And I'm not talking pure FPS now, the game becomes a stuttering mess after 1-2 hours usually. But every now and then, just like it did now, even my first game after booting it up was the biggest stutter fest ever and it becomes pretty much unplayable.

The best part is when I'm playing with my buddy, the stuttering starts at the exact same time for both of us. We play maybe 5-6 games with no problems and then suddenly it all just goes to shit and we have to restart the game.

MikeDown

Banned
Played a few matches
Love the throwback to classic q3 maps. Very sensible.
Not sure of the names in Champions but one is almost a remake of Q3DM6 and Burial Chamber(?) is very similar to Q3DM7

I don't like the champions aspect
Seems to lag but my ping isn't particularly bad.
Sounds design is terrible
Music needs to amp you up more, I don't need quiet piano pieces whilst I play Quake - I need some thumping metal or techno. Chris Vrenna is fantastic but this doesn't fit the atmosphere of the game

It NEEDS to be on Steam otherwise it will be doa. Bethesda launcher is crap and doesn't fill me with confidence for the future
I love the music that is in game, but I agree we need some more upbeat themes. Also fuck bethesda launcher

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Zjx7WIg.jpg

wew. my connection was really bad this morning, even after reset. It'll go back down to ~40ms like normal intermittently.

-Mikey-

I'm really enjoying this game.

I've been using Sorlac mostly for the acid spit that I'll shoot below me when going up the major jump pads in dm6. It really feels satisfying! I also dig her passive that helps with continuous movement.

f0rk

I've been thinking about Sacrifice, and now I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't CTF in the game at launch due to the map overhead. For Sacrifice they've just expanded on existing maps but CTF would need a whole new pool. Still curious to how much content they have waiting.

Fugu

I'd put this game about on par with Quake 2 as it is right now. It could be better if the rocket launcher weren't such hot garbage. I can't see it getting up to QW/Q3A levels without some major changes, however.

creatchee

Feels really good based on a couple of matches. Performance is good, too. Not a fan of the champion sell model though, you can only "rent" them with in-game currency.

You can get Champions in crates. I pulled Slash out of one of them that I got for leveling up. It's not time-limited either (although I'm sure it's limited to the beta).

Xyber

This year. Nothin concrete beyond that, and there is always the possibility they push it next year.

Lotta competition for pc fps, man. I dont think this game will explode in popularity. But i hope people play it.

I don't really see them pushing it to next year, gameplay-wise the game is mostly there already unless they decide to make any big changes.

They just need to fix the performance (excessive stuttering after a longer session and the game using up a shitload of RAM and VRAM), make some more balance changes and have enough maps and I'd consider it to be ready for a release.

Then of course I think the game should have a server browser and let people setup their own servers, because I would definitely prefer to play on a 10-15ms server instead of the 60ms server in Amsterdam.

Options menu should also be expanded with more options such as weapon specific crosshairs, more sensitivity options etc.

Magwik

Banned
Can run DOOM on high at locked 60FPS
Quake Champions has constant framerate dips at mixed high/medium settings

Wot

Top Bottom