• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions - Large Scale Tech Test on 05/11 - 05/22 + NDA drops & Sacrifice mode

The Flash

Banned
https://bethesda.net/en/article/3ZAtUz6NgQMeIIKSEKE8yK/quake-champions-large-scale-tech-test-and-sacrifice-mode-coming-soon

Haven’t been able to get into the Closed Beta? You’re in luck! From May 11 through May 22, there will be a Large-Scale Tech Test where everyone who wants to play Quake Champions will be able to. No wondering if you’re going to get a code – you’ll get it right away! Unlike the previous weekends-only structure, the game will remain live 24/7 during the Tech Test. Test out all the currently available Champions and maps for 10 days straight and let us know what you think in the Quake Champions forums.

When the Tech Test goes live on May 11, the player NDA will officially drop, meaning you’ll be able to stream, capture, share and discuss the game publicly! We can’t wait to see you all show off your skills online.

During the upcoming Tech Test, you’ll also be able to try out an all-new 4v4, team-based competitive mode: Sacrifice. Pick your teams and Champions wisely and work together to dominate the Arena in this new mode.

Frag me if old

-Mikey-

I signed up yesterday! I'm really looking forward to trying this out after the Giantbomb videos.

Oh, Brad..

This is excellent! I've been in the Closed Beta ever since week 2, so I'm glad to hear that more people can get to experience the game soon in an open event~!

DryvBy

I've played every weekend I was able so far and I really dig it. I can't say more than that until NDA drops I assume.

bee

hope the last 2 modes are clan arena and ctf!! interested to see exactly what sacrifice is though

Tenck

I'm so stoked for 4v4. I preferred that in Quake Live and I'm sure I'd like it in QC.

hope the last 2 modes are clan arena and ctf!! interested to see exactly what sacrifice is though

I'd like both of those too.

Kei-

When are servers going live? When do they usually go live for the old weekend tests? Only got in last week.

lol did they change it from May 11 to May 12 since OP posted this?

Hmm? Where are you getting this from?

If I had access to the closed beta before, will I automatically get access to this one without needing a new code?

I don't think we'll need a new code and a new download. We already have the client. Think we'll find out in a couple of hours, or maybe sooner. I vaguely remember seeing a 10 am time somewhere, not sure if it was EST or PSt.

The Flash

Banned
lol did they change it from May 11 to May 12 since OP posted this?

You know what I think they did change it. The original article has updated notice on it now and what I have quoted in the OP came straight from it.

If I had access to the closed beta before, will I automatically get access to this one without needing a new code?

You'll be fine. I've done it for two weekends with the same code. Only needs to put it that first time.

Kei-

Pretty sure its May 12.

At any rate I found this good basic tutorial on movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp747Ayb13E

I haven't played the beta yet, gonna start with this new test. Definitely gonna try jumping around like this.

Rocket Jump Ninja loves Quake and it shows in all his videos. They are very passionate and helpful. He's an amazing veteran player too. Hadn't seen this video in particular but checked out some of his earlier ones and some of his mouse reviews. Thanks

The Flash

Banned
Looking forward to playing the game with my new PG279Q tomorrow. Was only able to play at 60fps previously which is less than ideal for a game as fast as Quake.

poros1ty

Definitely the worst Quake game from the footage I've seen so far. Nothing really separates it from Q3/QL and it takes away more than it adds new. Champions and abilities don't fit in well with most traditional Quake modes and if anything they just make the Quake experience more frustrating. Only sure thing with this title if its released on steam (most likely) is that it won't get higher than a 'mixed' steam score.

It's a good formula to get casuals playing, but they'll get bored playing the few game modes that will be available. They also risk alienating a large portion of the quake fanbase with too many fundamental changes to the Quake formula that has worked over the past 20 years (an even playing field, etc), which means they'll be left with mostly casuals playing and few hardcore quake fans.

I don't think the game will fair much better than Brink.

Pretty sure its May 12.

At any rate I found this good basic tutorial on movement:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp747Ayb13E

I haven't played the beta yet, gonna start with this new test. Definitely gonna try jumping around like this.

I just watched this clip earlier today because I've noticed some stuff about the movement in the beta but I wasn't really clear what worked and what didn't (not to mention some of the character abilities seem to be tied to movement in theory, but then basic things like the stuff shown in the clip seems to work on all characters), and it definitely helps.

So I've been playing the new UT on and off since they started the alpha, and I think they slowed down some of the movement stuff a bit over time, and even though I like it, going from that to Quake: Champions felt really good and fast. At least for now during the beta, I felt that I could hold my own, so for a, let's say intermediate player like me that doesn't really care to get much better at it, it can be a lot of fun I think. Not sure about some of the other stuff and its staying power thought, but it's an arena shooter I might like to play for a while, which is great.

Ont

Now that the NDA has ended, I can say that I am really loving this game.

My only real complaint is the additional zoom damage which is unnecessary.

Apparently the servers are up now. I look forward to trying out the new gamemode later today.

Ont

. It's a good formula to get casuals playing, but they'll get bored playing the few game modes that will be available. They also risk alienating a large portion of the quake fanbase with too many fundamental changes to the Quake formula that has worked over the past 20 years (an even playing field, etc), which means they'll be left with mostly casuals playing and few hardcore quake fans.

Casuals turn into hardcore fans. Just like any other Quake game, this game will have its own community and supporters.

I don't think the game will fair much better than Brink.

These two games are completely different. Quake Champions does not suffer from the same issues which made Brink a failure. You might want to change your expectations.

jwhit28

This is the perfect podcast game. You don't get in and out of games nearly as fast as old Quake, but rounds are still quick enough that a bad game isn't a bummer.

Now that the NDA has ended, I can say that I am really loving this game.

My only real complaint is the additional zoom damage which is unnecessary.

Apparently the servers are up now. I look forward to trying out the new gamemode later today.

Oh wow, I played the couple last betas but didn't know about zoom damage, that's really dumb.

Played a couple of Sacrifice matches, it's kinda hectic but need to play more to get the feel. I usually like objective based modes, but having the enemy team often abuse you at your own obelisk isn't that fun. I mean, it's a matchmaking balance thing in general.

Feels like they may have done something to the Lightning Gun, or it's just me not having played a while.

NDA is over? I played the last test, thought it was decent but really don't like the various movement speeds and hp of the champions. The champion classes don't do too much for me in general, not a fan of the character aesthetics, not that that really affects anything.

More than anything, this game made me wish DOOM hadn't botched their multiplayer with loadouts and shitty gametypes. I find the gameplay to be significantly better and the weapons to be more varied and interesting. Plus wall climbing and double jumps made manueverability amazing. I will admit though, I'm not great at the strafe jumping in Quake, so I probably could like it a lot more with practice.

I'm not sold yet, but I'm interested and will follow this game's unfolding.

Sacrifice is the new team-based, 4-v-4 competitive mode in Quake Champions. Requiring team coordination in Champion selection, strategy development, and in-game play, Sacrifice will be the primary team competitive mode for all major esports tournaments.

Hmm...so this Sacrifice mode is the main one they're pushing for team esports tournaments. Well I hope it's good...try it out later tonight.

bee

hehe they've nerfed 12dmg heavy machinegun zoom down to 10, was funny destroying ppl who were using lg and them typing a load of shit afterwards, was needed though along with 90 zoom rail dmg

still don't get any of the complaints with regards to different hp/armour , i mean they could still do with some tweaking of course but sorlag for instance has a lot of starting health but even an average player should be able to hit 50+lg against him and his football pitch hitbox

gonna go try sacrifice

edit: no invisible lg fix :(

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Generally speaking, I think the game is fun for a certain type of player, but I feel their biggest barrier will be that there's nothing for players who can't aim super well to contribute to their team, or to achieve in general.

I've played a lot of these types of games over the years, so it's went well for me, but there are tons of people in matches I've played that go like 3:20 in kills to deaths (and that's being generous for a lot of them), and some of them with levels suggesting they've played at least a few matches.

Most of the audience will be driven off really quickly by this, and then god help anyone who isn't good at this genre and tries to join after a month or two once all the new people are gone.

Even the business model isn't very favorable. The dailies are things like "Hit a target with the rail gun twice in a row without missing five times". A lot of new players are going to be lucky to hit people with the rail gun once.

You also can't buy champions with in game currency. You rent them for a one day period, and you have to save up or complete all your dailies to do that, which is basically only serving people who want to play 4+ hours a day or whatever.

Mind, I don't think there's anything wrong with making a product to appeal to mostly pure arena shooter fans, but if they want enough of a population to sustain a game like this, they would do well for at least one of the six modes to try and have something for players who haven't been playing high speed shooters for 15-20+ years.

As it stands, I expect this game to be mostly dead within three months of launch, or at least on track to not get many updates, and that's going to be a bummer for fans of the genre.

The Boat

Played a few rounds, had good fun. Still don't know what to think about the abilities and so on, but it did scratch that Quake itch.

bee

Generally speaking, I think the game is fun for a certain type of player, but I feel their biggest barrier will be that there's nothing for players who can't aim super well to contribute to their team, or to achieve in general.

I've played a lot of these types of games over the years, so it's went well for me, but there are tons of people in matches I've played that go like 3:20 in kills to deaths (and that's being generous for a lot of them), and some of them with levels suggesting they've played at least a few matches.

Most of the audience will be driven off really quickly by this, and then god help anyone who isn't good at this genre and tries to join after a month or two once all the new people are gone.

i completely get what you're saying and do agree somewhat but it's always been a game with a very high skill ceiling, if you take that away it isn't quake but ye it's not very good for getting a lot of new players and retaining them

the abilities do help to an extent though, even a good player is going down sometimes vs sorlag acid or scalebearer charge

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
i completely get what you're saying an do agree somewhat but it's always been a game with a very high skill ceiling, if you take that away it isn't quake but ye it's not very good for getting a lot of new players and retaining them

I think it's more just that they should consider some kind of PvE mode or maybe a mode that's about some kind of objective with a different scoreboard, while leaving the regular modes as is, since that will at least let people get better at the game at their own pace.

Like similarly, the free character you get right now talks about how everything is a horrible nightmare that won't end whenever you respawn, except when they make a joke about how Overwatch sucks. I think it's not a good idea to have your base character constantly remind players they're doing horribly and that Overwatch exists, since players doing badly will be hearing those lines *a lot*.

Ont

they would do well for at least one of the six modes to try and have something for players who haven't been playing high speed shooters for 15-20+ years.

To be fair, there are many new player friendly games out there already. Its nice to see more demanding old school shooters coming back.

One reason why I like QC is the fact that I can usually change the outcome of the match with my own play. There are no forced team play mechanics, such as mechanics which require a dedicated healer in your team. Those forced teamplay mechanics feel like an anchor in my back when I try to play popular casual friendly FPS games.

If the game is fun to play and it is not troubled by major technical issues, it will have players even if it is not casual friendly.

Like similarly, the free character you get right now talks about how everything is a horrible nightmare that won't end whenever you respawn, except when they make a joke about how Overwatch sucks. I think it's not a good idea to have your base character constantly remind players they're doing horribly and that Overwatch exists, since players doing badly will be hearing those lines *a lot*.

I've played the game for a bit and yeah, the one liners when you respawn are really corny. There's one that goes something like "too painful to be a dream, too real to be a nightmare". Just... why?

That said, I've not heard this line that references Overwatch. What exactly does it say if you can remember?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I've played the game for a bit and yeah, the one liners when you respawn are really corny. There's one that goes something like "too painful to be a dream, too real to be a nightmare". Just... why?

The character Bios are really cheesy too. But honestly it was like that for Quake 3, just minus the voiced lines.

Like similarly, the free character you get right now talks about how everything is a horrible nightmare that won't end whenever you respawn, except when they make a joke about how Overwatch sucks.

When does this happen? Granted, I haven't played a lot of Ranger, but I never heard about this quote. Nobody on the Bethesda forums talked about it either, to my knowledge.

Kuksune

Played a few matches now and i'm not feeling it to be honest.

The announcer is blander than the DOOM 2016 announcer, and that's saying alot. Weapons feel off, I can't really put my finger on it. Stages are boring to me.

I'll give it another shot when i'm playing with friends but I don't see myself playing this solo.

Xyber

Played a few matches now and i'm not feeling it to be honest.

The announcer is blander than the DOOM 2016 announcer, and that's saying alot. Weapons feel off, I can't really put my finger on it. Stages are boring to me.

I'll give it another shot when i'm playing with friends but I don't see myself playing this solo.

I think they got the weapon feel down really well, it was the first thing that came to my mind after my first game in an earlier test.

And I think all the maps are pretty good now after a fair amount of games on all of them. I didn't really like Ruins at first, but it grew on me as soon as I learned the map properly.

My only real complaint is the same as a lot of other people, I just don't want the character abilities there. But it's a thing I can deal with if it means we will get a popular arena shooter and not some early access game on Steam where just finding enough people for 1 game can be hard,

Kuksune

I think they got the weapon feel down really well, it was the first thing that came to my mind after my first game in an earlier test.

And I think all the maps are pretty good now after a fair amount of games on all of them. I didn't really like Ruins at first, but it grew on me as soon as I learned the map properly.

My only real complaint is the same as a lot of other people, I just don't want the character abilities there. But it's a thing I can deal with if it means we will get a popular arena shooter and not some early access game on Steam where just finding enough people for 1 game can be hard,

You probably have played more of this than me. I'll give it another fair shot later.

Top Bottom