• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Quake Champions - Large Scale Tech Test on 05/11 - 05/22 + NDA drops & Sacrifice mode

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Swing and a miss:

Pros:
+ Looks good
+ Runs good
+ Player movement feels responsive, speed is good
+ Weapons seem reasonably well balanced

Cons:
- Player movement is tied to champions.
- PLAYER MOVEMENT IS TIED TO CHAMPIONS
- Want to bunny hop, go fuck yourself unless you unlock a specific champion.
- Want to strafe jump? Sorry sir, that's a different champion. Want to bunny hop and strafe jump? Go fuck yourself.
- Enemy players have a giant red arrow over their head. There is no using the map to your advantage, as you have a GIANT RED ARROW over your head at all times.
- Champion abilities are utter horseshit.

Yuck.

Swarna

Generally speaking, I think the game is fun for a certain type of player, but I feel their biggest barrier will be that there's nothing for players who can't aim super well to contribute to their team, or to achieve in general.

I've played a lot of these types of games over the years, so it's went well for me, but there are tons of people in matches I've played that go like 3:20 in kills to deaths (and that's being generous for a lot of them), and some of them with levels suggesting they've played at least a few matches.

Most of the audience will be driven off really quickly by this, and then god help anyone who isn't good at this genre and tries to join after a month or two once all the new people are gone.
I think you may be underestimating new players or their thirst for something new.

Speaking as someone who never played older Quakes or arena shooters in general I'm really loving this game. I only played FPS casually until Overwatch. Played a bit last weekend, got my ass handed to me but definitely improved over time. I'm now controlling items and strafe jumping better, won both FFA's I played with all the added durability. Feels pretty great, honestly. With the help of a calculator I set my FOV+sens to be the exact same as in Overwatch where I mained McCree so my aim is pretty decent. I'm liking the LG range nerf, since there was very little point to using anything else in its effective range. It's actually easier in a few ways, to be honest. No need to aim for the head. Strafing is less powerful here because of time needed to accelerate/decelerate (whereas in OW it's instant acceleration in any direction while on the ground). There's this sense of personal agency you just don't get from other team-based FPS. Feels good when you get the quad and run around 1-clicking people back to back with rails. My rockets are pretty bad, though, not used to the uber slow travel time.

Still, even without knowing much about older games, bonus damage on zoom is just dumb. You can tell that they're reading feedback since they actually reduced the bonus but the fact that there's still a bonus when they know the community hates it is kind of worrying.

On characters: I know that quake vets probably hate this but the devs were probably looking to evolve the formula somehow so that it isn't just quake live 2.0. Character choices seem to have much less influence than in something like Overwatch. It's more like different flavours of the same ice cream rather than different desserts altogether. Honestly, the whining about this particular aspect seems rather short-sighted and ignorant. If anything, character selection has almost no impact.
Yeah if they took the whole stupid champion thing in this game and made everyone even across the board and got back to personal skill being the difference maker. I love everything else about it. Feels very Quake 3 other than the stupid champion thing. I hope they have a Pro Mode where it strips all that away.

They've already stated they're going to have non-champion modes, I believe.

OneUh8

Swing and a miss:

Pros:
+ Looks good
+ Runs good

Cons:
- Want to strafe jump? Sorry sir, that's a different champion. Want to bunny hop and strafe jump? Go fuck yourself.
- Enemy players have a giant red arrow over their head. There is no using the map to your advantage, as you have a GIANT RED ARROW over your head at all times.

Yuck.

Yeah if they took the whole stupid champion thing in this game and made everyone even across the board and got back to personal skill being the difference maker. I love everything else about it. Feels very Quake 3 other than the stupid champion thing. I hope they have a Pro Mode where it strips all that away.

spootime

Well the NDA is over so I can talk about it.

To start off, I do think this is a fun game - I say that as someone who has never been very invested in quake, but I do have a few hundred hours playing quake live team arena. However, this game is fun DESPITE the champions - not because of them. Playing large champions isn't particularly fun because you're slow as shit and movement is most of the fun in quake in the first place. On the other hand, some of the tanks can withstand four (4) railguns before they go down. And thats not counting other damage reduction abilities like the shield and damage reduction from charging.

Playing low HP heroes is fun as hell because you're so speedy - until you get one-shot by a railgun two seconds after spawning because you start with like 100 hp. The only champion I'm willing to play at this point is ranger. He's a great mix of survivability and HP and his ability is by far the most fun to play with. I can see future competitive modes only allowing ranger because he provides the most "quake" experience.

You can kind of tell they've worked themselves into a corner because a lot of the abilities are kind of "meh." Its obvious they don't want champion abilities to have a huge impact on gameplay... but at that point why even make a class shooter? I don't think it meshes well at all.

So yeah, when I first saw this game at E3 I thought "why would you try to make quake class-based." Turns out that still holds true - this game is pretty much inferior to quake 3 arena in every way except for graphics (although it does still fundamentally feel like quake for the most part). Overall - pretty fun but I don't see it going anywhere esports-wise

The first loading is like 2 minutes, wtf.

I actually timed it once. It took me a full 9 minutes to go from clicking play in the Bethesda launcher to the match actually starting. This included about a minute of matchmaking which is not too bad. The entire flow of getting into a game is so slow. And you get booted back to the main menu after every match.

Compare this to Overwatch where you can be playing a game within 3 minutes of launching it. In Overwatch, everything apart from the matchmaking time and hero selection delay is negligible.

Swing and a miss:

Pros:
+ Looks good
+ Runs good

Cons:

Yuck.

those are legit cons, offputting

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
As a quake game yea ok this maybe has issues that needs ironing out.

hG181mA.png

But as a skating game its the best of this gen thus far. On burial chamber you can do some pretty sick slides off those jump pads.

Swing and a miss:

Cons:

Yuck.

This is a little misleading. Most champions can strafe jump--it's just Visor has no speed cap when he strafe jumps--everybody else does, though they can still go fast. Even Scalebearer's big ass can strafe jump. I'd say the only who can't is maybe Clutch, because I think trying to strafe jump as Clutch interferes with his running passive, but I've never played Clutch so I can't say for certain.

Anarki and Sorlag have CPMA/Quake 1 movement, where they can easily control their movement in the air, where as other champs can't. Slash can crouch slide after jumping, just like in Quake 4.

I personally like the different movement types in Quake: Champions. I suck at strafe jumping, but I can go really fast when I play Sorlag because of the Quake 1 style bunny hopping. Even if you don't end up buying the champion pack, getting the favor(currency gained after matches) to rent champions for one day is really easy. I don't play a whole lot, and I was comfortably able to rent 1-2 champions per day, and still have enough favor left over for the next day.

commissar

If you wanna check out good players playing each other, there's 4v4 Sacrifice scrims going on over here

fazz/noctis/tox/stermy
vs
spartie/voo/krysa/syn

RyudBoy

Tried this earlier. My frame rate counter shows a locked 60fps but the game doesn't feel like it. Is there something wrong with the netcode?

teepo

this is one of the most polarizing games i've ever played

if there is two things i definitively didn't like is how they butchered the rocket launcher and the giant red cursor over enemies. the latter especially bothered me as i feel it removes some skill in the maneuvering through the maps but i understand why they did it

i'm indifferent to champions; time will tell whether they'll be good or bad but the one positive is that they do add variety to the game and each present their own unique set of challenges when facing them

that being said, it's quake and it's fun. i am also intrigued by the main e-comp mode being a team based. i'll most likely be buying the pack that unlocks all the champions as long as it's reasonably priced

KingKong

for people talking about red arrows/outlines, you do realize that a lot of people played Quake 3 with brightskins right? I'd love brightskins instead of their current implementation though that might be a hard sell

Espada

Yipes, this game is not for me. I tried a few games and the speed is something I am not used to. People were just flying around and jumping all over the place two shotting me and my teammates. And is it just me or is there no way of permanently unlocking a new champion without real money? The in-game currency only allowed for rentals.

Swing and a miss:

Pros:
+ Looks good
+ Runs good

Cons:

Yuck.

Everyone can strafe jump/bunny hop, but some characters will accelerate or turn faster than others. For example, Visor's movement is based on Vanilla Q3 while Anarki's movement is based on CPMA

Yipes, this game is not for me. I tried a few games and the speed is something I am not used to. People were just flying around and jumping all over the place two shotting me and my teammates. And is it just me or is there no way of permanently unlocking a new champion without real money? The in-game currency only allowed for rentals.

You have a chance at unlocking champions in lootboxes(they're "legendary" level items).

Xyber

Any Uberpain footage?

hrm, those hitboxes...

is everyone Tank Jr again?

Yeah, hitboxes are really off at times. It's clear as day that I'm shooting where they were right before, but it still counts as a hit a lot of the time. It's like the hitbox is lagging behind the character a bit.

-Mikey-

I can't get this damn game to load for the first time. It's been 30 minutes since I launched it. I don't think I'll be able to play, ever. 🙁

I have gotten 3 champions in boxes so far in ~20 hours of playtime in the beta. If that was really lucky or not, I don't know.

I've played around the same amount of time--getting about 15 lootboxes, and I didn't unlock a champion. So, it may be luck.

Doesn't matter to me much--I'll be getting the champion pack.

As before in the beta, I am not a fan of the massive differences in hp/armor and movement speed or movement abilities between all characters.

I wish it was done so the base goes beyond what it was before, not just strafe jumping for ALL characters because uhh that was Quake, it's nothing special.

Also I am not a fan of the rocket launcher. It feels slow/sluggish? IT just doesn't feel good to shoot, almost feels like I can strafe jump faster than a rocket.

Kinda torn on this game, also the art style is kinda meh, I really don't think this will gather a lot of attention. The announcer makes the game sound boring as fuck too, same problem with doom.

Bl@de

The good old feeling of fragging someone in the air with a rocket to the face.

804.gif

Feels like good old Quake. Will definetly keep that game on my harddrive to play some matches here and there.

Sad to say I am not feeling this game. They definitely kept the speed of the game but something feels off in comparison to Q3.

I also can't stand the look of the weapons on the map, why not make them a 3d model of the actual gun like in Q3? Way better.

Tecnniqe

Banned
Was hyped to play it but this champion thing is offputting to me.

I'm not feeling this default class at all. Locking movement behind characters? :poop:
Networking seems like an issue too, some people every other match is "lagging" around almost like they flicker in their movement.

Meh.

bee

ok i'll give my plus and minus list

+ the engine feel is spot on, feels like a modern id tech 3 when you first boot the game
+ the different movement systems all in 1 game is really really great and will mix the gameplay up, +back quake live style won't work against anarki/slash
+ performance for the first few games is really good, 1080p mix of low and ultra gets a fairly solid 144fps
+ good balance of the heroes, anarki has low hp but is harder to hit especially with the lg, sorlag/scalebearer have massive amounts of hp/armour but are super easy to hit etc
+ config is encrypted, no stupid vstr scripts etc
+ i actually like the cosmetic unlockables , the wings etc, looking forward to the old style weapon models
+ the 'ready brek' glow around enemy characters is a surprisingly good alternative to bright skins

- invisible lg bug
- performance degradation, not sure what causes it, alt tab? browser in background? the fact it caches all your vram (8gb on afterburner on a 1080) restarting the game fixes it
- slight rocket delay on rocket launcher feels like timenudge +20
- needs a very good tutorial or other game mode to teach new players the basics, only old quake players time the armours, mega etc
- no option for timer counting up
- few of the hero special moves are overpowered/annoying, getting lg'd in the back by nyx coming out of her invisibility is lame
- vases, why are there vases?
- needs a comprehensive config setup option in the menu, i want per weapon crosshairs, sensitivity etc
- current lack of content, i really hope they've got a lot of maps up their sleeve
- no server browser, didn't expect one in a beta but i really hope the final release has one

i love the game, it's got its bugs and balance issues but it's a proper quake game, i've listed quite a few minuses but most are fairly minor and i expect them to be fixed by the time it actually releases

Izuna

Banned
I personally am having a blast but the ADS stuff makes me not want to play.

I don't understand the reason for it.

Redmoon

This game was pushing my vram to 10GB used. Wonder if its just filling up as much as it can, or if it really needs that much.

Also, I've gotten so bad at quake after not playing it for like 10+ years. Forgot how to bhop frag :p

Fugu

I'm going to reserve judgement on this for a little bit. I am a long time Quake player -- I played QL daily until very recently -- and I have a lot to say about what I've experienced so far but I figure I should give it more time than I have.

I can't get this damn game to load for the first time. It's been 30 minutes since I launched it. I don't think I'll be able to play, ever. 🙁
I timed it. It took me 22 minutes to launch the game the first time. Subsequent launches have been shorter, although the map load times are egregious -- by the time I can play the round has been going on for a couple of minutes.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Few thoughts
- Best part about Slash is leaving an energy trail on jump pads as people get caught up taking damage lol
- Blood Covenant is my worst map by far. Get rekt there pretty often. Love the other 2 maps.
- Can't deciding what is more satisfying:Hitting a rail or bouncing someone with a rocket and killing them with a second rocket.
- Nail gun is not useless. but it sure feels that way sometimes. Worst gun.
- After setting everything to Medium graphics, I'm finally getting smooth performance.

I timed it. It took me 22 minutes to launch the game the first time. Subsequent launches have been shorter, although the map load times are egregious -- by the time I can play the round has been going on for a couple of minutes.

I always load in early and yea usually 1 or 2 teammates are still in the process of Connecting.

Xyber

I'm going to reserve judgement on this for a little bit. I am a long time Quake player -- I played QL daily until very recently -- and I have a lot to say about what I've experienced so far but I figure I should give it more time than I have.

I have noticed in a lot of games there's usually 1 or 2 people who are loading forever.

I have had no problems at all personally, game launches like any other game and load times are very short.

I've played around the same amount of time--getting about 15 lootboxes, and I didn't unlock a champion. So, it may be luck.

Doesn't matter to me much--I'll be getting the champion pack.

What I've found is that is very easy to get daily challenges which gives you lots of one of the currencies. You easily can win enough to unlock a champion for 24 hours in just three rounds. So even a casual player can play other champion every other day.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
the worst things about the game by far are the egregious load times, the insane memory usage, and the overall ridiculous amount of time it takes to get into a match after the matchmaking, loading, and unnecessary map/character intro sequences. this stuff absolutely needs to be addressed, as well as adding a decent training mode where you can test settings and practice routing the maps.

also for the love of god, please let us turn off character voices

edit: damage increase for mg and rg based on zoom is dumb. i know they nerfed it, but it needs to disappear completely

Swing and a miss:
Cons:

Yuck.

-if you want to move in a specific way, play that character?
-every character can bhop/strafejump. you are wrong
-a small red arrow is worse than fullbright green keels?
-you're going to have to elaborate on abilities being 'utter horseshit.' some of them can be a little annoying to deal with, but i never encountered any scenario where i was completely shut down because someone used the right ability at the right time and i had no way to counter it. everything seems fairly balanced for a beta release. (being telefragged by nyx is an issue though, maybe change it to just launch the enemy instead)

Top Bottom