• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The House in Fata Morgana |OT| Obsession. Sadism. Avarice. Zealotry. Death.

MilkBeard

You can surely vote for it the SteamGAF GOTY awards.

Good to know, because I already did, lol. Wouldn't see a reason why it wouldn't be eligible.

More people need to play this game yes, I agree (with an above poster). I really wonder how they make money off of these games, especially because the sales are so low. And yet we are getting the sequel.

All I know is that I'm there day one. I've been craving for another story on a similar level.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Good to know, because I already did, lol. Wouldn't see a reason why it wouldn't be eligible.

More people need to play this game yes, I agree (with an above poster). I really wonder how they make money off of these games, especially because the sales are so low. And yet we are getting the sequel.

All I know is that I'm there day one. I've been craving for another story on a similar level.

They are not too expensive to make if they are not voiced and doesnt have any animated aspects. You create a set of expressions that get reused for the whole game and same applies to backgrounds and in some cases games have very limited number of backgrounds (Some being also recolors) depending the story so there are ways to mask the budget. Also there is the fact that Fata Morgana character sprites get reused in the sequel for some of the characters and some of the side stories as well.

MilkBeard

They are not too expensive to make if they are not voiced and doesnt have any animated aspects. You create a set of expressions that get reused for the whole game and same applies to backgrounds and in some cases games have very limited number of backgrounds (Some being also recolors) depending the story so there are ways to mask the budget. Also there is the fact that Fata Morgana character sprites get reused in the sequel for some of the characters and some of the side stories as well.

Makes sense. And say, one person could probably code the game itself and then just pay for the art and music.

Vazra

Makes sense. And say, one person could probably code the game itself and then just pay for the art and music.

Or you can take pics of people doing the expressions and stylize it with filters and effects and same for backgrounds. Then again there has been visual novel that use real pictures too.

In the final chapter now, and I just need to say that the care with which the author(s) tackle really sensitive subjects is commendable. Unless it totally fucks up sometime by the end, not only will the first VN I've played rank highly in my all time games, but also highly on my favorite pieces of fiction.

Jimrpg

You can surely vote for it the SteamGAF GOTY awards.

That list isn't everything eligible.

Yeah my mistake! :( Sorry guys. I also asked Cheesemeister and he says its eligible.

I'm definitely voting for it. It'll be my number 1 game of last year.

(My favourite game that I played last year was Steins;Gate but its ineligible.)

Everybody vote for it!!

Yep.... sales are so small compared to non visual novels. How much has The House in Fata Morgana sold? Maybe 20k? The story is so detailed it would have taken ages to plan and write.

Vazra

In the final chapter now, and I just need to say that the care with which the author(s) tackle really sensitive subjects is commendable. Unless it totally fucks up sometime by the end, not only will the first VN I've played rank highly in my all time games, but also highly on my favorite pieces of fiction.
Glad to see you enjoy the ride mate.

So I've finished the game, clocked in at 35 hours, and I've had some time to collect my thoughts. I am going to keep this as spoiler free and short as possible, while trying to get across my feelings for this game.

I have to start by stating that The House in Fata Morgana is the first Visual Novel I've really played...at least the first one I've played to completion. If you count Phoenix Wright (the first game), I guess I played one back when that was released in the US for the DS, but I never finished it. Regardless, I admittedly took in a lot of preconceptions to what a VN was. It was going to have waifus, it was going to have schoolgirls...all the stereotypical things one thinks when they haven't really researched or played one. I wondered just how much "game" was there. I'm a game designer by trade. Interaction of systems is generally a cornerstone of an experience for me. So yeah, The House of Fata Morgana had a lot going against it in terms of perception for me going in. When I finally emerged from the experience, there was but a single word I could pin on the entirety of it.

Perfection.

Apart from being a game designer, my original collegiate focus was creative writing. I'm definitely able to enjoy great works of fiction. I also tend to surrender myself to anything I am giving myself to. I allow myself to become emotionally invested because I personally get more out of any media when I do this. So despite some bias going in, I knew I had to leave a lot at the door in order to do this. I approached as the name suggested I should, a novel.

Let me get this out of the way early. If you aren't interested in reading, this game isn't for you. You have to read, and a lot. I mentioned this took me 35 hours to complete. Now, that's all the endings and dead ends, and some of it is idle time where I had to step away, but I'm a greater-than-average speed reader and it took me greater than 30 hours to do. It has visuals, sound effects, and music. Some light animation. There are points where you have to make choices, though few and far between in most cases. There are no stats, no inventory, no puzzles. It's a long choose-you-own adventure book. I, however, struggle to say that, as it belittles the experience, and use it only as a means for understanding what someone would be getting themselves into.

As I mentioned, I want to keep this as spoiler-free as possible, so I'll only speak in vague terms about the story itself. The Steam page says its, "A gothic suspense tale set in a cursed mansion. "The House in Fata Morgana" is a full-length visual novel spanning nearly a millennium that deals in tragedy, human nature, and insanity." This is definitely accurate, but there are a couple of things I'd like to expand upon, more in reference to the subject matter.

First, the story itself doesn't just make a great Visual Novel, at least as much as I understand them. This is honestly going on my list of favorite fictional works. I read quite a bit, and I do have a level of leniency on things that others sometimes don't. I mean, one of my favorite books of all time is The Thief of Always by Clive Barker. Not just favorite YA novel or whatnot, but favorite. I'm just stating this to set your barometer for whether or not you'd agree with my tastes. But this VN tells a tale so engrossing that I couldn't stop thinking about it any time that I had to step away from it. It's tragic, it shows people at their worst, and has long stretches of depressing narrative beating your over the head as it were a sledgehammer of vileness. Some of the twists you see coming, and it makes things all the worse since figuring out the twist doesn't damper anything, but instead just creates more pain as you watch it the light on the freight train of sadness just get closer and closer. I mentioned that give myself up to anything I am experiencing. I outright admit that I cry at things, though when it comes to games, there aren't too many that have made me. The House in Fata Morgana didn't only make me cry, but at certain points, turned me into a sobbing, messy puddle of a person. So to say it affected me would be an understatement.

Another topic I'd like to bring up is the care in which it handles very sensitive subject matter. While I'm not going to go into specifics, as that would ruin critical emotional beats, The House in Fata Morgana tackles certain, we'll say, "High Risk" topics with care and grace that is not only rarely seen in games, but rarely seen in media in general. There is little to nothing that is presented for shock value, as other works are more than guilty of when these things are used. Here, instead, they are made part of the emotional core of a character, and the writers go to great lengths to show the internal and external effects of each subject they breach.

Wrapping up, this game totally threw my preconceived notions for a VN out the window. No waifu focused, half-nude schoolgirl stuff here. Just an incredibly told story, crafted incredibly well with layers upon layers of tragic, heartbreaking narrative that build to an amazing end. Again, if you don't want to sit down in front of a PC and read for 30+ hours, this isn't for you. But if that doesn't bother you, and jumping into a VN is something you might want to do, while my limited experience with them doesn't allow me to recommend anything else, this is certainly one I can say was a great jumping on point for me, instantly propelling itself into my pantheon of best games and fictional works.

MilkBeard

So I've finished the game, clocked in at 35 hours, and I've had some time to collect my thoughts. I am going to keep this as spoiler free and short as possible, while trying to get across my feelings for this game...

snip

I agree with much of what you said. As someone who is an aspiring writer, I find The House in Fata Morgana not just a good game, but a good piece of creative writing. I do think it will inspire me on future works that I develop.

As for the hours, it took me roughly 35 hours (via Steam total playtime) to reach the "true" ending. This did involve accidentally saving myself into a bad ending somewhere later in the game, so I had to backtrack. But I think it's safe to say that playing through to the true ending will net you somewhere around 30-35 hours, unless you forcefully read through.

Anyway, it's a game that I think gamers should play if they are okay with reading. It's actually a shame that more people haven't played the game, but then again, I do cherish my hidden gems. ;)

Right now I am playing (slowly) through the backstage. I want to get all the achievements. Apparently there is a "secret" ending when you see all the possible endings. I haven't reached that point yet, but I plan to look at a guide and hit all the endings to find it. Upon starting the game for the second time, I did notice that there was a slightly altered intro to the game (or was it just my memory? It felt different, and the text referenced things that you would only understand upon completing the game). I found that quite interesting. Does anyone know if there are more alterations on a second playthrough?

Sciel

Not gonna be a long post since most people have already echoed my thoughts in previous posts.

However, this probably the best VN Novel I've ever had the pleasure of the reading.

I doubt most VN's that I'll read in the future will compare.

My Favorite Track.

Vazra

I agree with much of what you said. As someone who is an aspiring writer, I find The House in Fata Morgana not just a good game, but a good piece of creative writing. I do think it will inspire me on future works that I develop.

As for the hours, it took me roughly 35 hours (via Steam total playtime) to reach the "true" ending. This did involve accidentally saving myself into a bad ending somewhere later in the game, so I had to backtrack. But I think it's safe to say that playing through to the true ending will net you somewhere around 30-35 hours, unless you forcefully read through.

Anyway, it's a game that I think gamers should play if they are okay with reading. It's actually a shame that more people haven't played the game, but then again, I do cherish my hidden gems. ;)

Right now I am playing (slowly) through the backstage. I want to get all the achievements. Apparently there is a "secret" ending when you see all the possible endings. I haven't reached that point yet, but I plan to look at a guide and hit all the endings to find it. Upon starting the game for the second time, I did notice that there was a slightly altered intro to the game (or was it just my memory? It felt different, and the text referenced things that you would only understand upon completing the game). I found that quite interesting. Does anyone know if there are more alterations on a second playthrough?

After you finish the game some of the dialogue changes on the first 4-5 chapters then its back to the same.

After you finish the game some of the dialogue changes on the first 4-5 chapters then its back to the same.
WAIT, WHAT?!

HOLY SHIT.

I played Fata Morgana back in October or thereabouts. It's now my favourite game and visual novel, and one of my favorite fictional works. The game is almost perfect.

Jimrpg

Piratespwnninja - agree with much of what you wrote. I was also blown away by the story. It's just incredibly well designed and well planned out story.

Now play Steins;Gate. My favourite VN. House is my second favourite.

Vazra

WAIT, WHAT?!

HOLY SHIT.

I played Fata Morgana back in October or thereabouts. It's now my favourite game and visual novel, and one of my favorite fictional works. The game is almost perfect.

Yeah. Not sure if there is more but from what I gather most changes are on the first half of the game. You also get an achievement for a second playthrough so in a way its nice to see some changes on the second run. (Also enjoyed going to the prologue once everything was done with the game.)

Also if I have to recommend another VN for Piratespwnninja I would suggest Umineko and Steins;Gate

MilkBeard

I've seen the anime for Steins;Gate, so I'm personally not that interested in playing the VN. Does the VN make any changes to the story?

However, I see that a sequel has been released and has gotten good word of mouth. I may check that out at some point.

Shizuka

Not gonna be a long post since most people have already echoed my thoughts in previous posts.

However, this probably the best VN Novel I've ever had the pleasure of the reading.

I doubt most VN's that I'll read in the future will compare.

My Favorite Track.

This is my favorite track. I'd agree with you on your choice, but when I found out that they're mostly in Portuguese and that is my mother language, it does strike me as odd and a little off with the singing.

Vazra

I've seen the anime for Steins;Gate, so I'm personally not that interested in playing the VN. Does the VN make any changes to the story?

However, I see that a sequel has been released and has gotten good word of mouth. I may check that out at some point.

A lot of scenes are skipped, a subplot is completely removed and many details are simply not there compared to the VN. Also the anime added a bit more comedy to it. Its not bad but I prefer the VN.

MilkBeard

This is my favorite track. I'd agree with you on your choice, but when I found out that they're mostly in Portuguese and that is my mother language, it does strike me as odd and a little off with the singing.

Ah yes, this is a great track.

Although I must say, going through the soundtrack, it's hard for me to pick a favorite. Many of the songs fit the moments in the game so well, but there are so many that I don't really have a favorite, I just have favorite moments in the game, which include many of these songs (lol).

I would say that this song is a strong contender, however.

Sciel

That's a fantastic track as well!
Only reason its not my favorite track is because its a little bit too...atmospheric (somber...) to listen to at times.

Vazra

That's awesome, didn't know they released it on Spotify.
Also available to purchase on iTunes ;)
0725f68dd1.png

I like how they made the soundtrack easy to get. More companies should do this.

MilkBeard

^Agreed. I listen to spotify often so it's great that I can listen to the tracks there, as it is generally much higher quality than Youtube.

I'd just bought the soundtrack as DLC and synced it over Spotify to my phone (you create a playlist using local files on a PC and then download that playlist to your other devices). But it's amazing that the OSTs are many places! Yusuke Tsutsumi is also on Spotify by the way (and he's amazing even beyond his work in Fata Morgana).

Vazra

In my dreams, a publisher decides to release the Vita version complete with all the bonus content in the West.

What did they added to the Vita Version? is it only Fata Morgana and A Requiem For Innocence together?

flowsnake

I just wish there were higher quality versions, some of the tracks have some audible crackling (and not the ones that seem to do that on purpose).

Sciel

What did they added to the Vita Version? is it only Fata Morgana and A Requiem For Innocence together?

There seems to be an extension to the modern story (new episode) of sorts.
GAME-0017475_04.jpg

This episode also has voice acting.

Wichu

I wish I could outlaw the Vita port art.

Yeah, the art style change is jarring and takes away some of what makes the game special, even if it is pretty good art. Luckily it's only for the Vita bonus content.

Not that it makes a difference if the Vita version never comes out here :(

Sciel

Yeah, the art style change is jarring and takes away some of what makes the game special, even if it is pretty good art. Luckily it's only for the Vita bonus content.

Not that it makes a difference if the Vita version never comes out here :(
I've read that one of the possible reasons why the art-style was changed is because the original illustrator was not in the best of health or something.

Really wish the Vita version would get localized but its really tough given how little it sold and its (somewhat) limited appeal :( .

Taruranto

Yeah, Moyataro has been sick (hospitalized even I think), I think the recent Q&A had people telling him/her to get well.

I still would outlaw the art, however.

MilkBeard

I noticed that the soundtrack for the sequel is a lot less melancholy. Are we looking at a tonal shift for Another Episode?

Yeah, Moyataro has been sick (hospitalized even I think), I think the recent Q&A had people telling him/her to get well.
Damn. :( Hope they get better ;;

I still would outlaw the art, however.

Haha, same.

BTW, I checked the OST names on Spotify and the track names are differently translated compared to the OST I got as DLC from Steam, and for the worse I believe.

"Stay Here, My Weary" became "Stay Here, Headacher"
"Drown in the Gutter" became "Gutter Near by Kitchen"
"Girlhood in Shambles" became "Husked Girlhood"
"This Mutilated Body" became "Dissected Body"

etc.

MilkBeard

Damn. :( Hope they get better ;;

Haha, same.

BTW, I checked the OST names on Spotify and the track names are differently translated compared to the OST I got as DLC from Steam, and for the worse I believe.

"Stay Here, My Weary" became "Stay Here, Headacher"
"Drown in the Gutter" became "Gutter Near by Kitchen"
"Girlhood in Shambles" became "Husked Girlhood"
"This Mutilated Body" became "Dissected Body"

etc.

Yeah, lol, didn't read those titles. The person who translated the game definitely didn't translate those titles, lol

Vazra

I noticed that the soundtrack for the sequel is a lot less melancholy. Are we looking at a tonal shift for Another Episode?
It reuses part of the original soundtrack and it still has melancholy to it. Actually some sprites are reused with all the other releases of Novectacle. Thats what I call saving budget. Also not sure if I would call it a sequel and this one is like 10 hours long unlike the original game.

MilkBeard

It reuses part of the original soundtrack and it still has melancholy to it. Actually some sprites are reused with all the other releases of Novectacle. Thats what I call saving budget. Also not sure if I would call it a sequel and this one is like 10 hours long unlike the original game.

I see.

MilkBeard

Its still pretty good stuff plus we get to see what originally was going to be the story for the first Fata Morgana. Its an interesting release how they worked out the stories

So it is an alternate storyline? Or an extended story for a certain part?

hampig

As somebody who's working on a Kickstarted VN alone, I will say that this is entirely possible.

I think you could make a pretty professional looking VN with a small cast (~5 characters) for around 1k if you could do the writing and music on your own.

If you need to buy music it may be around double that to around $1500.

MilkBeard

House in Fata Morgana ranked #1 on the High Quality list in the Gaf Game of the Year thread ;) (highest ratio of points per voter)

Top Bottom