• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Evil Within 2 is the best survival horror game since Silent Hill 2

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Bl@de

Yep, and you can definitely see this in some of the enemies designs.

TEW1

TEW2

Notice how TEW1 enemies feel more grotesque while TEW2 are generic infected zombies version No. 87

Interesting find. Maybe that's the difference with Mikami not being director this time. He's one of those people that looks into every little detail (RE4 relaod gif anyone :p)

Wink

I enjoyed the narrative style, more on replays, but many people seem to really, really hate it. Some refer to the differences in Eastern versus Western storytelling and I think there is definitely something there.

Absolutely, especially when comparing horror storytelling. I value emotional impact over neatly wrapped up arcs and logical explanations in my psychological horror games... but that's maybe just me.

BadWolf

Question, which horror games have LEGIT great stories? I can only think of SH2 and maybe SOMA.

Siren (PS3) had a pretty good one too. Very strong atmoshpere as well.

Rule of Rose's gameplay is super janky but the story, music and setting are top notch.

try to find one where he read every documents, and like the other silent hill, you might not catch everything with only one playthrough, the silent hill stories are always full of symoblism, secrets and well crafted stories and mysteries

Will do!

To me TEW 1&2 aren't scary but they are intense, especially in Nightmare difficulty. The games I personally find really scary are Silent Hill and Siren games.

Yeah, TEW1 was basically tension the game. The series isn't scary but has a more of a psychological effect by keeping tension high, which is great in its own way. Due to its setting it can also throw things at you that are out of the ordinary, which I really like.

Have to agree on Siren and Silent Hill.

RE has never been scary.

Notice how TEW1 enemies feel more grotesque while TEW2 are generic infected zombies version No. 87

TEW1's mobs are also incredibly diverse, they also use different weapons and tactics.

latest

latest

latest

latest

While the zombies in TEW2 pretty much all look like this

the-evil-within-ii7.jpg

This TEW1 pic alone had more diversity than all the zombies in TEW2

maxresdefault.jpg

Perineum

I can really tear this game apart with detailed analysis and comparison, but I doubt you would want to see that.

I am tired, as a survival horror fan.

Do it for me.

I tried to make a quick list, but it could be a thesis if I wanted it to be. My writing skills suck though and so if you can make it a coherent read I would love to see it.

It may not persuade someone to think differently, which isn't the point, but it would be nice to see someone articulate it well on why this is not an evolution of EW1. You can definitely tell this is a game made by a different lead designer by spending 10 minutes with each one.

I also always find it ridiculous that people talk about EW1 being "janky", yet think RE4 is some sort of master piece. Spoiler alert gang: That game's controls are the definition of jank and do not withstand the test of time. RE1 Remake absolutely works in this day and age to let you wrap your mind around the control scheme, but RE4? It's absolute dog shit.

EW1 has about as much jank in its current state as Dead Space 1, or RE7, or just about any game you could compare within the genre. At launch sure there were issues on PS3 especially, but if you played it today it easily withstands the test of time. I can't say the same for RE4 just on controls alone.

rtcn63

Absolutely, especially when comparing horror storytelling. I value emotional impact over neatly wrapped up arcs and logical explanations in my psychological horror games... but that's maybe just me.

The closest analogue I can think of off the top of my head is the Souls series. Very implicit storytelling, to the extent where you can finish a game and have no real idea as to what is going on. But it's definitely there if you want it. And you may not, since both TEW and Souls also focus heavily on gameplay and atmosphere.

SOMA to me was more of a mind fuck game. That ending though.

I saw that ending a mile away... and still loved it.

I go back and forth on TEW. I heard so many bad things about the original that I totally ignored the sequel. Maybe I will check out the original if it truly is better now a days.

labx

Banned
Is people naming Dead Space in honor of Visceral Studio misfortune?

Don't get me wrong the game is great. For and action horror game.

Silent Hill 2 is in its own place. The game is the perfect combo. No game since can get its formula right. Not even SH3 or SH4

Other games that come close are: Soma, Alien: Isolation, P.T.

BadWolf

A lot more people would have enjoyed TEW1's story if they didn't cut out the Kidman portion into DLC. It should absolutely have been part of the main game.

rtcn63

I think the original Dead Space was a better homage to the original Alien than Alien Isolation was in a lot of ways. Not my go-to when it comes to actual gameplay though.

A lot more people would have enjoyed TEW1's story if they didn't cut out Kidman portion into DLC.

Story/epilogue DLC is a fair knock. Never liked the practice. Worse for games where the story is the primary draw.

TEW1's mobs are also incredibly diverse, they also use different weapons and tactics.

latest

latest

latest

latest

While the zombies in TEW2 pretty much all look like this

the-evil-within-ii7.jpg

This TEW1 pic alone had more diversity than all the zombies in TEW2

maxresdefault.jpg
This a good point, the zombies in TEW2 only use 4 models, 2 female and 2 male. It can get really jarring after playing for a few hours. Also the only wrinkle they add to the normal zombies is that some have axes. The enemy variety in the game overall is decent, but you don't start seeing much variety until halfway through the game, with some enemy types introduced in the last couple hours which feels like they kind of squandered them

BadWolf

This a good point, the zombies in TEW2 only use 4 models, 2 female and 2 male. It can get really jarring after playing for a few hours. Also the only wrinkle they add to the normal zombies is that some have axes. The enemy variety in the game overall is decent, but you don't start seeing much variety until halfway through the game, with some enemy types introduced in the last couple hours which feels like they kind of squandered them

Wouldn't be surprised if they looked it up and saw that most people didn't appreciate that variety so it wasn't worth the effort.

I mean look at RE6, so many enemies and unique attack animations for the characters (if you look them up on YT there are 20+ minute videos of just unique attack animations). Then we have RE7, hope you like that one enemy design...

joe2187

Banned
I also always find it ridiculous that people talk about EW1 being "janky", yet think RE4 is some sort of master piece. Spoiler alert gang: That game's controls are the definition of jank and do not withstand the test of time. RE1 Remake absolutely works in this day and age to let you wrap your mind around the control scheme, but RE4? It's absolute dog shit.

EW1 has about as much jank in its current state as Dead Space 1, or RE7, or just about any game you could compare within the genre. At launch sure there were issues on PS3 especially, but if you played it today it easily withstands the test of time. I can't say the same for RE4 just on controls alone.

I dont consider RE4 any masterpiece

but these statements are literally insane, you've been drinking too much green gel.

RE4, Dead Space1 and RE7 have controls and games that work flawlessly. No Jank whatsoever.

Sebastian in TEW1 controlled like a stiff puppet made out of playdough. You're literally insane.

rtcn63

SOMA to me was more of a mind fuck game. That ending though.

SOMA loses its luster if you're already at all familiar with the science fiction trope it emphasizes. Even the ending I've seen (more or less) probably a dozen times before in books and movies. Although I guess that's true of anything really.

a harpy

Might do just that then :)

Honestly, I think it's worth playing. It has some very cool moments that are much more interesting when you experience it yourself because it does a fairly good job of messing with you and the story has a large personal voyeur aspect. It doesn't nail everything it tries to do and the second half of the game could be considered weak, but overall I thought it was a solid experience. It's very unique. I definitely include it when I think of the "great" Silent Hill games. I can understand why some people feel negatively about it, though.

Silent hill 4's story is godawful, fanfic garbage.

SH4's story is great, superb even, although the latter half of the game isn't as strong as the first. The concept of being trapped in your own apartment from the inside and the only "way out" is through a demonic hellride with seemingly no end, was hardly ever explored in games before. There're interesting characters, Walter is legit a scary villain, the "outside" world (in particular the apartment's hallways and peephole) make for good moments. I don't get what's so fanfic about all this.

Wink

The closest analogue I can think of off the top of my head is the Souls series. Very implicit storytelling, to the extent where you can finish a game and have no real idea as to what is going on. But it's definitely there if you want it. And you may not, since both TEW and Souls also focus heavily on gameplay and atmosphere.
That would actually be the prime example where the story doesn't get in the way of the game though which explains the acceptance of the Souls style in the west.

But just generally bringing it back to TEW1, it was a game that rewarded the effort to do it right, with headphones, in a dark room just letting go of expectations and letting the craziness take its course, seeing what emotional states the uncomfortableness of not knowing what the heck's happening can evoke.
TEW2 clearly had a different agenda in making players more comfortable with the world they're in and that just works counter to what defined the first one. As I said I'm still enjoying part 2 for what it is, it plays nicely. But without Mikami directing it doesn't have these moments of obscure genius that he brought to the first.

Perineum

I dont consider RE4 any masterpiece

but these statements are literally insane, you've been drinking too much green gel.

RE4, Dead Space1 and RE7 have controls and games that work flawlessly. No Jank whatsoever.

Sebastian in TEW1 controlled like a stiff puppet made out of playdough. You're literally insane.

I had zero issues moving and command Seb in EW1 to do what I needed or shooting what I needed hit with good aim. EW2 I can miss point blank. I would upload videos of it if I still had the game, but I already traded it in after completion.

My point is that EW1 has just about as much "jank" as the other ones you mentioned, which is next to none. If there is a major complaint on EW1 it isn't with controls or gunplay. RE4's main issue is the controls are just cumbersome in the year 2017 to go back and enjoy it.

Also, look up your definition of literally. It isn't very literal in the context of my sanity.

BadWolf

Honestly, I think it's worth playing. It has some very cool moments that are much more interesting when you experience it yourself because it does a fairly good job of messing with you and the story has a large personal voyeur aspect. It doesn't nail everything it tries to do and the second half of the game could be considered weak, but overall I thought it was a solid experience. It's very unique. I definitely include it when I think of the "great" Silent Hill games. I can understand why some people feel negatively about it, though.

Thanks, you guys are making me want to try it more and more.

TEW2 clearly had a different agenda in making players more comfortable with the world they're in and that just works counter to what defined the first one.

Tbh I think the tension and discomfort in the first game put a lot of people off, they laid it on a little too thick. Don't think the direction of the game would have been different even if Mikami was the director.

This game is this year’s Alien Isolation, and an essential buy. It’s RE2 to the first games RE. I’m having an incredible time with it and I’ll consider it for GOTY for sure.

Detractors and poor sales be damned.

Dead Space, Outlast, Aliens: Isolation, and Resident Evil 7 wipes the floor with The Evil Within 2. I am actually in the last couple of chapter of the Evil Within 2. The games I mentioned actually have very tense and scary atmosphere. Dead Space and Alien: Isolation really perfected the most important aspect of a horror media.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Hey everyone, this is Dusk Golem aka AestheticGamer. I have posted on NeoGAF since 2011, and have decided to resign. I have enjoyed posting about horror games here for years, but I no longer wish to support the site and will be leaving for good. I will still be around the internet, I go by AestheticGamer on YouTube, I make games on Steam as Yai Gameworks, and I plan to go by Dusk Golem on other forums. I'll be joining an off-set of the GAF community leaving to try other ventures like ResetEra (Official Twitter for that here: https://twitter.com/reseteraforum ). I hope some of you who read this may consider it, and I plan to try to expose more people to horror games in the years to come. Just not here.

I hope you all are having a good day, and know I always loved the community, and in the end it's the community I'm going to stick with, not the site itself. If you want to follow me, my official Twitter is here: https://twitter.com/AestheticGamer1

Ahasverus

People showing action horror games as counter examples are missing the point. SH2 is not on the same league as Dead Space lol

Perineum

Tbh I think the tension and discomfort in the first game put a lot of people off, they laid it on a little too thick. Don't think the direction of the game would have been different even if Mikami was the director.

That's a bold statement. If Mikami had directed we would've had a different game. Better or worse is unknown, but Mikami has an extensive pedigree of fantastic games, so I would place bets on a better game as a fan of the experience from EW1.

I would wager the Marrow wouldn't exist, I would wager more enemy design would've come to fruition, etc.

It'd be quite interesting if Mikami would divulge to fans or in an interview what role he played in the game. I feel like Chapter 9 was him, and that was one of the best parts of EW2.

rtcn63

In action, the fire dudes and the knife-wielding hag really don't feel like they belong to the same game. The green gas monster looks PS2-era up close.

There's no need to argue over the best survival horror game. I agree it's awesome game though and up there with RE4 and Dead Space 2

Edit: yeah, exactly what the post above me says

Marcel

The back and forth that continues about TEW2 makes me comfortable waiting for a sale when there are potentially 3 games I'll be getting on the 27th.

tesqui

It's a great Survival Horror game, but not fantastic or anything. I still prefer the first game. It just felt more balanced in its scarceness. In TEW2 I feel like they give you too little ammo to the point that it forces you to use stealth. In the first game you were never forced to use stealth except for at the very beginning.

rtcn63

The back and forth that continues about TEW2 makes me comfortable waiting for a sale when there are potentially 3 games I'll be getting on the 27th.

From most accounts, it's a good game overall. It's just very different than the first in style and approach. The story and writing are bland though. I love RE7 but even I can't deny that it falls apart after the first few hours. And the enemies are also incredibly easy to cheese. Like it's just unavoidable in survivor horror.

BadWolf

That's a bold statement. If Mikami had directed we would've had a different game. Better or worse is unknown, but Mikami has an extensive pedigree of fantastic games, so I would place bets on a better game as a fan of the experience from EW1.

I would wager the Marrow wouldn't exist, I would wager more enemy design would've come to fruition, etc.

It'd be quite interesting if Mikami would divulge to fans or in an interview what role he played in the game. I feel like Chapter 9 was him, and that was one of the best parts of EW2.

Not sure what's so bold about it tbh, it's not like he was working on another game while TEW2 was being made (like Itsuno was fully involved in making Dragon's Dogma while just assisting on DmC).

Him being involved heavily is a given, imo anyway, especially with the new director and I'm sure it's something Bethesda would want as well.

Would some things be different about TEW2 if he was directing? Sure, but I don't think the differences would have been night and day.

I played all the original Silent Hill games upon release and in a row and still somehow thought 4 was almost unplayably power-janky. That says a lot after going through the first 3 meaning that I didn't expect an Action game by any stretch.

I never made it more than a few hours into 4, it felt extremely unwieldy to me back then. That being said, not sure if I'm still right and maybe in hindsight it's a cool game?

There's no need to argue over the best survival horror game. I agree it's awesome game though and up there with RE4 and Dead Space 2

Edit: yeah, exactly what the post above me says

It's a video game message board, what else are you gonna do?

nkarafo

The open levels were great. I loved exploring them.

The linear ones were uninspired for me compared to the first.

The story was ok but too emotional for my tastes.

The horror element was too weak.

notaskwid

Fatal Frame 3 is better than Silent Hill.
OP had me hyped nonetheless, but seems like he's the only one who likes Psycho Break 2 here.

Duxxy3

Yep, and you can definitely see this in some of the enemies designs.

TEW1

TEW2

Now I remember what the lost remind me of. The zombies from the black ops games.

Ahasverus

It's the entire premise of this thread
Then thread is flawed since the start. You can't compare games whose intentions are completely different just because you kill monsters on it. Silent Hill is as comparable to Dead Space as it is to Devil May Cry.

Top Bottom