• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2017

Had the chance today to visit that park or designated area on the outskirts of the international airport where you can do aviation photography without getting arrested:

[snip]

All are shot btw with my A7 and 70-210 lens at f/8 with no teleconverter(I still haven't bought one).

Some good shots there, and I think you're right - the last shot is the best. I like the framing (you even managed to get another aircraft arriving/departing, I think!), I like the light on the fuselage and I like the angle of the plane. Given that you're shooting with a relatively short lens - 210mm isn't bad, but at a larger airport you'll be pushing it to get closer shots shooting outside the wire - I'd be happy coming away with those images.

1. Shooting at ISO 800 just so I can set the shutter at 1/1600 or higher is not worth it as the pics can still become blurry and more importantly, the skies look really noisy.

Ideally, I aim to shoot at ISO400 or lower for better image quality but it will depend entirely on available light. One thing to consider is to try for panning shots on days with poor light - ramp the aperture up to f14+, drop the ISO to 100 or 200 and get your shutter speed down to 1/125 or so and have a mess about panning with the aircraft. Use whatever continuous autofocus mode you have on your camera so you can hold on the moving aircraft and keep focus locked and get a nice smooth pan going while you run off shots. It's the same way I would shot prop aircraft, but it works for jets too as you can get a fantastic sense of motion from blurring the background and having a crisp aircraft in the frame. You'll end up with a load of clunkers initially, but it won't take long for you to get the idea of panning - nice, smooth movement from the waist while you hold the camera steady to follow the subject, and follow through like you would driving a golf ball - with a bit of practice (and for practice, you can do what I do - open my window and sit inside practicing on cars passing the house :) )

2. Clear blue skies are boring as shit. I need some clouds to make the overall shot more interesting, or get a teleconverter/longer lens and fill up the frame with the plane.

Yup! It's one of the first things I learned about aviation photography - bright, cloudless days give you loads of light to work with, but they make for boring backdrops for the aircraft. As you say, you could go for filling the frame, or you could look for interesting scenery/landmarks to spice up landing/takeoff shots. The final image above is a good example - you've got the aircraft on the ground from an interesting angle, some interest around it, and you've got another aircraft arriving/departing. I'd be happier with that than another dozen shots of aircraft against a cloudless sky!

3. Heat waves are visible on camera. On the shot with the fuel truck and Qantas plane on both ends, I did the zoom-to-focus thing on my camera and I could already see the "heat wave" effect take place. Does that mean that the effect will show up regardless of the length of the lens?

Afraid so :-/ Heat distortion can be a huge issue, as when shooting aircraft at airports/airbases you will be taking shots:

a) Over a long distance, making the effect more visible
b) Over large, flat, exposed areas where the effect is more pronounced

Perversely, the effect can be worse on cold days as it is - if I remember correctly - to do with temperature differences between the ground and the atmosphere.

Best advice if you find you're noticing it on the day is to either make it a feature of your shots that day, get closer to the planes on the ground, or concentrate on shots of the aircraft in the air.

4. I need a tripod to do this correctly. All these shots are handheld since I was in a rush to be at my previous engagement and I forgot to grab it lol.

A tripod will certainly give you a nice stable platform to work from, but you can get good results handheld with practice and good technique. I still struggle to get sharp shots all the time, but once you get a sense of how aircraft move and get used to tracking and holding focus you can get some great shots without a tripod. I still tend to lug my monopod with me, as I find it strikes a reasonable balance between extra stability and ease of use/bulk, and with a quick-release plate I can drop it at a moment's notice if I need to shift position and work handheld.

Overall though, I found it really fun to hang out there. There's a loudspeaker that broadcasts what the ATC is saying on that specific runway so if you're a huge aviation nut, you can figure out what plane is about to take off and get ready for the shot. It's kinda weird at first since there's a number of cars on the parking lot but they're literally just sitting there doing nothing; but they didn't really bother me or whatever so I'm thinking they're Uber or Lyft drivers taking a break or something.

Could be, or could be spotters. My local RAF base always has a mix of people outside, from spotters sitting with radios logging flights in/out and callsigns used, to photographers there to snap a shot of a particular airframe for their collection, to people like me who are just looking to get interesting aviation shots.

Thanks for the tips!! I do know there's a local aviation museum that lets you take photos inside... I might stop by there next time I'm in the area.

Definitely worth a look - if they're photographer-friendly and you take a tripod to allow you to get long exposures for indoor exhibits you'll be able to get some interesting shots. You might find the owners/employees will have tips about locations for photography or aviation events too, so it's another one to think about.

Just catching up on everyone's work! Nice work on the studio lighting, Jaded. You've improved a lot.

I have been posting some of my recent work on Instagram and Flickr. I will post it on here when I'm home. I'm also supposed to do a photoshoot for a local band on Monday. They want a 80s noir style so I ended up buying extra gels for my expo grid and also a light wand since I've been craving one forever. It's not an icelight but with a little diy diffusion, it should be around the same for much cheaper.

It's tough having a baby and a full time supervisor job for whole foods that gives me super random hours because all I want to do is work on photo concepts. My wife is always dragging me out places despite wanting me to push myself further in photography. But I can't complain too much. I also did a normal headshot job the other day which turned out good. A quick one light bounce setup and a bit of editing made him super happy. I also have another possible gig coming up soon for a guy who wants artsy black and whites. And maybe an engagement and wedding in four months. I'd probably have many other jobs if I took the offers. Maybe soon.
Thanks. Learning is part of the process of photography. Sometimes I feel like I'm stagnating, but I don't always have time to research places to shoot stuff. Does not help that I'm getting burned out on TFP shoots. If they were robots I'd be bothered less, but they're people...I don't like people, especially ones that have demands and aren't paying. I'm currently just trying to look for more event work, but I'm not the only photographer by a long shot in my city. Congrats on the work on your end though and I enjoy the stuff you put up. At some point within the next six months I'm buying a second flash though to help with my outdoor shoots.

Some good shots there, and I think you're right - the last shot is the best. I like the framing (you even managed to get another aircraft arriving/departing, I think!), I like the light on the fuselage and I like the angle of the plane. Given that you're shooting with a relatively short lens - 210mm isn't bad, but at a larger airport you'll be pushing it to get closer shots shooting outside the wire - I'd be happy coming away with those images.

To kinda give you an idea of how far I was:

pTXoELnh.jpg

The park I was in is that Founders Plaza, the UPS planes were located directly south of the plaza(where the two planes are in the map) and the Qantas plane is parked at the terminal where the Grand Hyatt DFW is. Also if you couldn't tell, this is only a quarter of the airport lolol. Sadly though, that Plaza is the only one I know that's accessible to the public(aka you won't get kicked out or arrested for pointing a camera at the runway). From what I've heard, any other spot is either too far, has obstacles blocking your view, or a combo of both.

Anyway...

1. My train of thought was basically this: high ISO + high shutter speed + handheld = less blur. In a way I guess it sorta worked since some of the shots I have are focused enough that it doesn't look that bad.

Funny you mention autofocus... none of my lenses actually have AF lol. I mostly do portraits and static cars so I never really considered getting an AF lens before haha. Even worse is that the longest lens Sony has for the E mount is 300mm and if I'm looking at this list correctly, there's no teleconverter available for it. If this is the case then I think I'm gonna see about grabbing a longer Nikon lens instead coz IIRC, I was at infinity focus the entire time I was shooting there earlier so it should work.

2. Tbh I don't think there's any landmarks I can use to keep it interesting. I'm definitely gonna wait until it's a cloudy day though before I go back there. Hopefully that'd keep things more interesting.

3. This is actually really good info especially since I live in Texas lol. You could literally experience all 4 seasons here within a week! This is definitely something to think about before I go out shooting due to our wild weather. IIRC it was around 60F when I was out there so that might be why the effect is a lot more pronounced?

4. I've got a Benro monopod specifically made for video actually. I'm definitely gonna bring that next time I'm out there.

Anyway, thanks for the tips! Like I said I had a lot of fun out there today, so I'm excited to get back out there with more knowledge in hand. Next thing I need to do is brush up on planes... I honestly can't even tell you what they are haha.

I went back up to Rocky Mountain National Park for a hike. I tried to make it up to a lake called Sandbeach Lake. It would have been a 9 mile round trip but I eventually had to turn around when I started to sink. At one point, I fell in up to my hips. I never saw one other person while I was there.

Untitled by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Had to stop for lunch and decided to sit in the middle of the trail.

The trail I was on was hairy. It was only about one foot wide at points and had a steep fall. If you fell, the odds are you would slide for about 50 feet before hitting a tree. This photo was taken looking straight down the slope with my heels at one side of the trail.

This warm snap in Chicago invited me to finally get out and do something this year. Work has been brutal so far this year, so I haven't had much energy for my hobbies.

February 18, 2017 by Tyler Jacobs, on Flickr

Regret the composition of this one afterwards. Sometimes you're a little blind in the moment, though. Maybe will try again some day.

Chicago and Northwestern Railway Bridge downtown. I just liked how the colors came out.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Even 300mm is iffy for birds, unless you can get super-close. I thought my 70-300 would be a reasonable starter bird lens, even though I knew it wouldn't get me real close shots, but I quickly found it was really best for shots where I had close access to the birds I was shooting. I occasionally set up feeders etc. in our garden so I can shoot from a makeshift hide or a window and I can get reasonable frame-filling shots, but in that situation I'm only 5-10 metres away.
With birds there's no such thing as too much reach ;-)

but with a 300mm with a 1.4 TC and a DX camera, you can make do.

This Barred Owl was 300mm with d800, so full frame. Not cropped at all, other than aspect ratio. This bird was exceedingly patient with us, he let us get very close.
This hawk that i got a couple of weeks ago, this was the closest it let me get before flying off. I actually thought it was a grounded hawk and was going to call the game warden, it was letting me get so close. Usually hawks are skittish of me, especially when i point my camera at them. But this was with the d500 and the 500mm, not cropped other than changing balance of the pic

vs these from this weekend, these are cropped, on a d500 with 500mm and 1.4TC
Downy Woodpecker by Billy York, on Flickr

Cedar Waxwing by Billy York, on Flickr

Cedar Waxwings by Billy York, on Flickr

you can never have too much reach, but you can also get lucky too. Nikon has come out with some good zooms recently that can do well for a birder on a budget.

Toyed around with some Lightroom masking and other features today. Kinda like the outcome

(Our newborn filly from tonight :) Autofocus messed up, I really need to read up on this or use fixed points, just fails too often for me)
IMG_1024-2 (2) by Cornelius W, auf Flickr

IMG_1043-3 by Cornelius W, auf Flickr
You're at 1.8 at an 80th of a second. It's most likely a combo of a shallow depth of file and it breathed so it moved out of the plane of focus. 1.8 is not really easy to shoot at that's why you take a lot more than. One picture. Plus Rebel series camera, how many focal points does it have? Also were you in auto focus continous mode? Everyone on here has some nice updates.

Vuze

You're at 1.8 at an 80th of a second. It's most likely a combo of a shallow depth of file and it breathed so it moved out of the plane of focus. 1.8 is not really easy to shoot at that's why you take a lot more than. One picture. Plus Rebel series camera, how many focal points does it have? Also were you in auto focus continous mode? Everyone on here has some nice updates.
Good point, didn't think about burst shooting. 1.8 at 1/80 was the best compromise given the light I think. This one has 9 AF points, was using One Shot AF. Appreciate your input as always!

Good point, didn't think about burst shooting. 1.8 at 1/80 was the best compromise given the light I think. This one has 9 AF points, was using One Shot AF. Appreciate your input as always!
Yeah just zoomed in on the horse picture and there's nothing in focus...at all. 1.8 is tricky, you probably weren't close enough to the horse, probably shutter shake from being at an 80th as well or just simple hand movement from pressing the shutter. The cat picture fairs better, though it's a bit soft, maybe from being at 800 iso, but I'm not sure. I'm not used to 800 iso crushing the hell out of pictures that much. Might be the camera or just motion blur. The STM isn't stabilized right?
Got a new cam just in time for my latest shoot. Full frame is so liberating.

Jeanni-LR by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr

Jeanni-Stone-Wall2 by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr

Pachi-Lobby by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr

Pachi-Flower by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr

Jeanni-Lobby by Samuel Vasquez, on Flickr
What did you upgrade to a 6D? I love being on full frame, makes available light shoots a lot more viable. I had to do an event shoot inside a movie theater. Before they bumped up the lighting I was flash assisted, but once they lit the stage area I was free to turn off the flash and even had to do crowd shots in the darkened portion. I was like "yeah...this would've been impossible on crop sensor." I'll hopefully be able to process everything by the end of today to put on here.

Yeah just zoomed in on the horse picture and there's nothing in focus...at all. 1.8 is tricky, you probably weren't close enough to the horse, probably shutter shake from being at an 80th as well or just simple hand movement from pressing the shutter. The cat picture fairs better, though it's a bit soft, maybe from being at 800 iso, but I'm not sure. I'm not used to 800 iso crushing the hell out of pictures that much. Might be the camera or just motion blur. The STM isn't stabilized right?

What did you upgrade to a 6D? I love being on full frame, makes available light shoots a lot more viable. I had to do an event shoot inside a movie theater. Before they bumped up the lighting I was flash assisted, but once they lit the stage area I was free to turn off the flash and even had to do crowd shots in the darkened portion. I was like "yeah...this would've been impossible on crop sensor." I'll hopefully be able to process everything by the end of today to put on here.

Yeah I got a 6D. For me the big sell was not about available light, since I'm not a natural light shooter. It was more about having a 50mm be 50mm instead of something like 85.

Yeah I got a 6D. For me the big sell was not about available light, since I'm not a natural light shooter. It was more about having a 50mm be 50mm instead of something like 85.
Not to mention the improvements in bokeh.

Shots from my most recent event:

DSC_2775 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_2565 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_2448 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_2433 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_2465 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_2730 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
More Here:

Taking a day to myself and just going to shoot something new is perhaps the best feeling in the world, really lifts me out of depression and gets my mind working again. I did that this past Saturday and went aimlessly walking in the Purbeck hills around Swanage, UK. The Sony 90mm Macro G lens is perhaps my favourite ever, so sharp!

Purbeck hills by Ben Grady, on Flickr

A few more I have yet to edit from my Contax T3 and Xperia XZ on my Instagram

captive

anyone in Vermont?

This photo was chosen to be exhibited at the Dark Room Gallery in Essex Junction.
Web of Roots by Billy York, on Flickr

I was also reminded why i prefer a panel of jurors instead of just one. I submitted to another call for submissions for landscapes, some of the images literally have a circle bubble zooming in on one part of the picture or literally taking a rectangle slice and flipping it. Some of them are very good, but in general i think the jurors mood affected the results, a lot of them are very gloomy. Some of them i dont consider landscapes at all, but hey thats just me.
http://www.c4fap.org/exhibitions/landscapes-2017/

captive

going back to belize next week. Belize was seriously one of the best photography trips and week of photography i've ever had. So much is dependent on the weather its crazy.

Palm Beach by Billy York, on Flickr

Have been testing these long exposure shots. Maybe I should go down to Regent Street or somewhere else busy and do it. It's quite fun.

Nice shots! These are really well done. I used to think that the busier, would be the better (as evident in some of the shots I've posted in this thread), but I actually have to come to feel that there is a lot more character in less busy shots.

The ones you've posted are great. The bends in the road and the singular focus create an actual movement through your composition that I really appreciate.

Surfheart

20 months ago my wife bought me an SLR and I fell in love with photography.
I consumed everything I could about it, discovered and and fell in love with the work of the old masters, such as Brassai, Koudelka, Bresson, Lange, Salgado, Erwitt, Leiter and Smith.

A year in I switched to Fuji mirrorless cameras, bought some nice glass, Grad and ND filters for landscapes.

I joined the local Photographic society and did well in the competitions, entered work into a regional show and won 8 categories and overall fine art award.

I woke up one morning in January and didn't feel like picking up the camera and haven't since. I always had my little Fuji X100T with me and as I went about my day I would see compositions and ideas. I still see them but no longer have the desire to attempt to capture them and I leave the camera at home.

I dislike looking at my photographs for some reason and the idea of making images just feels pointless now.

Hoping this passes, anyone else been in a similar position?

vern

I consumed everything I could about it, discovered and and fell in love with the work of the old masters, such as Brassai, Koudelka, Bresson, Lange, Salgado, Erwitt, Leiter and Smith.

A year in I switched to Fuji mirrorless cameras, bought some nice glass, Grad and ND filters for landscapes.

I joined the local Photographic society and did well in the competitions, entered work into a regional show and won 8 categories and overall fine art award.

I woke up one morning in January and didn't feel like picking up the camera and haven't since. I always had my little Fuji X100T with me and as I went about my day I would see compositions and ideas. I still see them but no longer have the desire to attempt to capture them and I leave the camera at home.

I dislike looking at my photographs for some reason and the idea of making images just feels pointless now.

Same as most things, can't always be excited or passionate about them. The feeling will pass... or it won't! It's ok. Find other things to learn about in this amazing world!

thespot84

Was the period where you were really into our photography aligned with something that you now look back on in a negative light?

Worked my first wedding last night as second shooter and assistant and holy shit, it's an interesting experience.

But according to the photographer I was assisting, this was a chill wedding and is not representative of what usually occurs so I can't really say much about it since I've only experienced one end of the spectrum.

What I will say though is that I'm super surprised that my gear wasn't useless. I thought I would miss a lot of shots since I'm MF but most of the shots done before the wedding is essentially a portrait session so there's really no chance in hell you can screw up. Then once the actually ceremony takes place, instincts and knowing your gear really takes the stress off from fiddling around with the camera and lens. I set it at a specific aperture, ISO, and shutter speed so the only thing I had to worry about was focusing. But when you combine instinct and focus peaking, you then realize that you could be as fast as an AF motor lol.

Got another wedding to work this next weekend and that one should be the real crazy ass wedding so I'm excited to see how I survive that.

Also no pics since the main photog has the SD cards. I'll ask if I can get a copy of the pics though coz there were some shots there that i know were absolutely top notch and I need them real bad haha.

Yup. I've been doing music most of my life and in the last 16 years I've been burned out by it numerous times. But what I've found is that all you really need is a little motivator to bring back a little bit of spark.

For example, I haven't touched my drumkit in months now but today I was at church service and a random song(unrelated to what the choir was playing lol) got stuck in my head and I finger jammed in the pews until I got home and played it on my kit. Once I finished that song, I ended up practicing for half an hour before going through a playlist of songs that I know how to play.

Challenge yourself, especially out of your comfort zone with shooting techniques, ideas, or whatever and you might be able to find that spark again to bring you back.

Thankfully I'm a simple man with bills to pay and photography is something that I know that gives me money so I don't think I'll ever get burned out by it lol.

Surfheart

Was the period where you were really into our photography aligned with something that you now look back on in a negative light?

Not really, I look negatively at it because I just feel it isn't very good.

Yup. I've been doing music most of my life and in the last 16 years I've been burned out by it numerous times. But what I've found is that all you really need is a little motivator to bring back a little bit of spark.

Challenge yourself, especially out of your comfort zone with shooting techniques, ideas, or whatever and you might be able to find that spark again to bring you back.

Thankfully I'm a simple man with bills to pay and photography is something that I know that gives me money so I don't think I'll ever get burned out by it lol.

Hopefully something brings it back.

I was like this with writing. Wrote poems and short stories, went to school for journalism and creative writing, wrote game reviews and stories. Now nothing. I really have no urge to write creatively, just got super burned out on it. Several years later I got into photography and find myself to be a better photographer than writer, shit happens. You might fall back in love with it, or not, you never know. Though I hope I don't get burned out on photography. Granted one of my cameras is linked to some stuff that I hate thinking about and want to trade it in for something else, but that's about it.

TFGB

Lovely pics folks!!

Here's a few of mine from the past, taken with either my D700 or D800E. I haven't done any photography in a few years now, but got a Phantom 4 Pro for Xmas so am looking to get back into static photography as well as some videography/aerial shots.

Cheers for looking!

Docked in San Fran:

VhC81hO.jpg

Lake Windermere:

rDt4MjI.jpg

Malangen Brygger, Norway:

KzLxiyD.jpg

Loch Lochy, Scotland :

hIbg4QT.jpg

Lovely pics folks!!

Here's a few of mine from the past, taken with either my D700 or D800E. I haven't done any photography in a few years now, but got a Phantom 4 Pro for Xmas so am looking to get back into static photography as well as some videography/aerial shots.

Cheers for looking!

Docked in San Fran:

VhC81hO.jpg

Lake Windermere:

rDt4MjI.jpg

KzLxiyD.jpg

Loch Lochy, Scotland :

hIbg4QT.jpg
These are great.

Many thanks JadedWriter!
I like the colors in the last three. I need to learn how to do long exposure landscapes at some point. I tried and none of them turned out well...doesn't help that I was multitasking and shot them in flat picture profile so trying to pretty much create color where it didn't exist didn't help either.

brerwolfe

...got a Phantom 4 Pro for Xmas so am looking to get back into static photography as well as some videography/aerial shots.
I feel like it might be close to making a thread for aerial photo/video now that UAV/drones are starting to hit the mainstream.

I used to have a Phantom 2, upgraded to an Inspire 1 and recently added a Mavic to the arsenal.

Can't wait to see some of your aerial stuff.

Surfheart

Lovely pics folks!!

Cheers for looking!

Docked in San Fran:

VhC81hO.jpg

Lake Windermere:

rDt4MjI.jpg

KzLxiyD.jpg

Loch Lochy, Scotland :

hIbg4QT.jpg

Beautiful!

IMG_6062 by Elfotografoalocado, en Flickr
IMG_0366 by Elfotografoalocado, en Flickr
IMG_0354 by Elfotografoalocado, en Flickr
IMG_0342 by Elfotografoalocado, en Flickr
IMG_0271 by Elfotografoalocado, en Flickr
IMG_0141-2 by Elfotografoalocado, en Flickr

Random doings from the last weeks, both in my hometown (The one with the trees) and in the guetto I live in currently with my GF. Looking forward to doing more street.

The one with the GF looking through the window is a test of ML's dual ISO, and I'm very impressed.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I've been playing around and I wanted to get a stylized Film Noir Vibe.

Wasn't using the right type of lens for this style of shooting, but oh well.

These aren't good photos, but I like the style and might retry with a better setup.

As a gift for my birthday, my wife picked up a basic 2-light home lighting setup with reflectors and a simple backdrop. I've never done any proper work with anything like a studio setup, but I had a little mess about with it last night. It's going to take a lot of learning my way around it, and I suspect the lighting will need to be upgraded or added to at some point, but it's an interesting new thing for me to try and it makes a change from event/aviation photography. Just two reasonable shots so far - one of my daughter, being very obliging and posing for me, and one of one of our cats doing its best to look noble... They're both a little on the dark side, but I'm still getting used to how best to set up the lights and get reasonable shutter speeds etc.

DSC_3177 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_3105 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

Hello fellow shooters! I have mostly been a silent member, looking at everyone's photos, waiting for the chance to pop in and show a bit of my work. I have recently gotten a lot more serious about shooting by actually carrying my Nikon with me, and have taken a liking to just taking photos of people in the streets of my city, doing everyday stuff.

I hope this doesn't get me in trouble, I didn't see any rules against it. I have my stuff up on Instagram, and would love to get feedback from you fine folks!

Top Bottom