• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Thread of 2017

sneaky77

I like the second picture mostly do to the contrasting black and white. With the first picture I feel that there is a better picture if you shot it at a lower angle.

Thanks for the constructive comments, I couldn't get any lower on that one, but I see what you're saying for the angle, I've been trying to work on those more.

Winter! We've got snow this year!

QCIKxBY.jpg

Link

Ul7Xw1O.jpg

Link

fzCjffP.jpg

Link

mXES69i.jpg

Link

Been super busy the last couple of weeks so besides the usual cars I haven't really done much, until tonight:

One of the photographers I've been working with recently uses a "snoot" and it is possibly the greatest thing that was ever invented to play with light. I saw a couple of the shots we did with that thing this past weekend and my god... I didn't think a boring hotel room would actually look exciting!

Unfortunately that shot of Venom Snake's arm is just with a softbox since I haven't been able to get a snoot yet, but I will soon... already have tons of ideas where I can use to create some really cool shots.

A visit to my local RAF station last week to grab some shots of the Tornado squadron before they disband in the next couple of weeks. Mixed weather and light, with some fairly challenging moments, but reasonably happy with the shots I got. I've gone for B&W with some but I'm not entirely sure about how they've turned out - I quite like the tight shots on the Tornado "office" (the cockpit) but I don't know if I got the exposure quite where I wanted it.

I've got a visit to the base set up for the end of the month, then prep for a surf competition in mid-April, and I'm hoping to squeeze in some landscape and studio practice in the meantime...

DSC_3742 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_3745 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_3865 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_3868 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_3931 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_4330 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_4371 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_4684 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_4689 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_4742 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_4740 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

DSC_4762 by Cosmonaut X, on Flickr

Completely missed that there was a new thread, looks like I've got a few pages to check out.

Scrounged up some old film scans and a couple old photos from ol' trusty Nikon D50.

Moab by colbypixel, on Flickr

Moab by colbypixel, on Flickr

Trail by colbypixel, on Flickr

Trail by colbypixel, on Flickr

Idaho River by colbypixel, on Flickr

Cascade Springs by colbypixel, on Flickr

Tibble Fork by colbypixel, on Flickr

First 2 are Nikon D50 and the rest are medium format film of various grades.

the life of a bird photographer, over 600 shots taken ~25 keepers. Weather was shit too. most were taken at ISO 1600.

Collared Aracari by Billy York, on Flickr

Gorgeous bird, nicely captured. Total sympathy on the keeper rate too - aviation photography (particularly the high-speed stuff) has a similar keeper rate. If I go for a full day where there's lots of activity I can expect to hit 500-1000 shots. Of those, I reckon 50-100 might be worth keeping, and of those maybe 10-20 would be ones I could be reasonably happy with, and of those I might only have one shot that I really liked.

openrob

So I finally went out of my way and made myself a little website for my photography.
I still consider myself amature, but I feel like it's better to oversell yourself, than under sell haha. I am only rocking a little D3100.

Not sure if I can post a link or not, but here is one of the images that I think was really cool that I took on a recent trip to JPN:

Yanaka Shrine (Red) in Spring by robert, on Flickr

Will post more recent stuff as and when :)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Gorgeous bird, nicely captured. Total sympathy on the keeper rate too - aviation photography (particularly the high-speed stuff) has a similar keeper rate. If I go for a full day where there's lots of activity I can expect to hit 500-1000 shots. Of those, I reckon 50-100 might be worth keeping, and of those maybe 10-20 would be ones I could be reasonably happy with, and of those I might only have one shot that I really liked.

thanks. It's definitely tough. Do you find you have to exposure compensate for when you are shooting up at the sky?

Roadside Hawk by Billy York, on Flickr

Yellow-Crowned Night Heron by Billy York, on Flickr

Blue-Gray Tanagers by Billy York, on Flickr

Blue-Gray Tanager by Billy York, on Flickr

thanks. It's definitely tough. Do you find you have to exposure compensate for when you are shooting up at the sky?

Yeah - particularly here in Scotland, since a lot of the time we have fairly grey skies, and most of the military stuff I regularly shoot is either a mid-grey or a light blue-grey. Depending on the paint scheme of the aircraft and the weather conditions on the day, I'll use exposure compensation to either overexpose or underexpose by a stop or so. For example, for a dark aircraft in the air on a bright day, I'd typically be using spot-metering and I'd kick in exposure compensation to overexpose by one to two stops. For a white aircraft, I'd underexpose by around the same. For different weather conditions I'd tweak accordingly - grey aircraft on an overcast day are a nightmare to shoot in the sky, though you can get reasonable shots on the ground (for ground shots I'd still tend to use some compensation, but it's a bit less tricky to get a well-exposed shot when you have more than just sky as a background).

brerwolfe

After missing sunset because of a 30-minute firmware update, I decided to stick around for a little longer and see how the DJI Mavic's camera performs in low light. Pretty happy with the result, expecially considering how fucking small the camera is. Unreal.

Austin By Night by brerwolfe, on Flickr

IMG_5013 by Lucky Forward, on Flickr

Conowingo Dam in Maryland has a reputation for being one of the best spots on the east coast for bald eagle photography. I made my first trip there this week and was lucky enough to grab this one...can't wait to go back.

5DmkIII, 100-400 L

Damn! Amazing level in this last page...

IMG_2210 by Elfotografoalocado, en Flickr

IMG_0495 by Elfotografoalocado, en Flickr

First one I took three years ago, had barely started with photography. (The processing is from this week) The second one is from last week, the dude in the picture is an old high school history teacher of mine, quite terrible I must say. (conservative as they come, extremely religious, very skewed)
Haven't done anything in a week because I sold my trusty 600D to get a 7D that arrives on Wednesday. Can't wait! ☺

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Recently bought a high grade tripod. Inspired to start shooting again...

In some of the photos I'm using a light painting technique. Good use of a flashlight to get, what looks like, well placed off camera lighting. In the last photo of the gravestone, I actually used my hand as a sort of snoot to direct the light even more, which had a dramatic effect on the surrounding exposure.

Absolutely in love with the tones here. Reminds me why I still want to try my hand at film. Trying to approximate that vibe via digital takes a bit of tweaking versus a single click on a film cam from a skilled photographer.

Vazduh

The one with the rock is my favorite because it looks it came straight from a Japanese horror movie. The others are great as well, of course.

brerwolfe

My hotel in Austin last week was across the street from the largest urban bat colony in the world. Every night at sunset, 1.5 million bats take to the skies to rid the city of its small-to-medium sized bugs.

I saw the bats leaving the bridge by accident the night before, didn't realize what was going on. Made it a point to get a closer look the next night.

Austin Bat Bridge by brerwolfe, on Flickr

Austin Bat Bridge by
brerwolfe, on Flickr

I've had a busy month and wanted to share some photos with the group. I think the theme of my post is bear stuff.

My daughter turned two and had a "Two-choo parade"

Untitled by Ben Krupka, on Flickr

Climbed to the top of a mountain outside of Boulder Colorado called Bear Peak. The hike was one of the toughest I've been on since I did a 5 day hike in Peru.

Went to the zoo

Saw bears fight!

Went hiking again

Then went back to Bear Peak

Great stuff, that last one is meme-worthy
Thanks. It's really interesting going from camera to camera and finding out that each camera seems to look different and requires different levels of color correction and contrast settings...either that or I just keep having different editing styles. I swear I'm editing different than I was four months ago.

Groof

I love taking Panoramas, and not just sweeping panoramas. I've taken images that ended up being around 60mp+ with just my humble 12mp D300. Photoshop and lightroom's automated stitch can work wonders.

Both Lightroom and Photoshop have been constantly surprising me with their auto features lately. Hell kinda magic are they using lol

Has anybody ever witnessed another person taking a picture and found it weird as fuck when they're not altering their position to get a better angle and composition?
To make this post relevant here's an out of camera JPEG cause I can't edit anything till tomorrow when I get to my much quicker work computer.
17757226_10155969717737195_971964095512326804_n.jpg

This is also being ran through Facebook compression so I'm not 100% sure if this is even in focus.

vern

Nobody is perfect but do your best not to chop off the tops of peoples heads. I have a problem with limbs and shit because I shoot a bit too tight, but just try to stay aware of it.

I feel like it almost works. The crop just above his eyeglasses to me is fine, just the emptiness of the rest of the photo kind of bores me. There isn't much there. The crooked line at the bottom bothers me too. I feel like there could be a great shot and an interesting story in here somewhere, but didn't quite capture it.

Crazyorloco

Thanks for the feedback. I was walking out of an underground train station and was on the stairs. After I took it I did thought "damn where's the rest of his head" lol

Nobody is perfect but do your best not to chop off the tops of peoples heads. I have a problem with limbs and shit because I shoot a bit too tight, but just try to stay aware of it.

I feel like it almost works. The crop just above his eyeglasses to me is fine, just the emptiness of the rest of the photo kind of bores me. There isn't much there. The crooked line at the bottom bothers me too. I feel like there could be a great shot and an interesting story in here somewhere, but didn't quite capture it.

I guess instead of the open nothing he should be composed on the left more to see the subway station entrance he's leaning on.

Top Bottom