• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT3 | Playing with our sticks while petting Jaguars!

Nah, I havent driven the Ioniq. Ive driven the first Leaf (though they are all pretty similar) and the Kia Soul EV, both for extended periods (AMA lol)

I guess it comes down to - how long is your daily commute and how often do you need to go beyond the EV range (if its 2-3 times a year you can just borrow someones petrol car)

Oh, I feel like the recharging might not be as stressful for the ioniq. If I recall, the first leaf got like 82 miles of range and the Kia Soul has 90-something, so this gets 30-40 miles more on a single charge. My daily commute changes because I work in film so the shooting location is always changing, but it would rarely, if ever, exceed 120 miles round trip. But yeah, I'm still not sure that 124 mile range is realistically road trip-worthy.

I'm a fan of the Bolt - it has decent driving dynamics and has a 0-60 time of 6.5 per C&D, which makes it the fastest EV in its class. The Hyundai sounds like it may be more efficient and cost effective, but personally I would be willing to trade some efficiency for more driving fun. And performance helps in plenty of daily situations, such as pulling out of parking lots, getting around someone off a light, freeway passing, etc.

Yeah, these two and the Volt are basically the three I'm considering.

Pinewood

Oh, I feel like the recharging might not be as stressful for the ioniq. If I recall, the first leaf got like 82 miles of range and the Kia Soul has 90-something, so this gets 30-40 miles more on a single charge. My daily commute changes because I work in film so the shooting location is always changing, but it would rarely, if ever, exceed 120 miles round trip. But yeah, I'm still not sure that 124 mile range is realistically road trip-worthy.

Yeah, these two and the Volt are basically the three I'm considering.

You have to remember that the advertised range doesnt mean you will get that range. Having the AC on (less battery cost in new cars), travelling speed, overall weather (capacity drops in the cold), the nature of traffic all play a role. Your best bet would be to see if you can maybe get the car for a day or two so you can try it out.

120 miles without charging at some point halfway seems risky. If you can plug it in at work then you would be fine I reckon.

Ty4on

EV consumption is also a little different to a regular gas car. They do poorly at high speed on the highway, but in low speed like city or stop and go highway they do really well. If you're careful in the city or at speeds at or below 40 mph you can probably exceed the rated range.

The AC also eats range, but the heater usually eats more in cold weather.

I need help.

Ready to move on from my 2015 sti to something more...mature.

Narrowed it down to what i believe to be 4 cars.

1. Jaguar ftype s

2. Corvette z06

3. Porsche 911 carrera s

4. Godzilla

each car brings something unique to the table each car also falls into my canadian pricepoint of sub 130.

If i could stretch the jag svr here it would be a no brainer, however its going for north of 150 here.

corvette wasnt really on my list until i went and looked at one today and its really hard to argue with what you get for the price there.

If you could pick one of these or if you have already throw me your votes.

watch this video at 12:25
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzuptRdvkL8

alpha may appreciate it too.

Malvolio

The TypeR seems brilliant. But I wish they sold a slightly less aggressive-looking version of it too. Some of the parts of that body kit just has too much going on.

This is where I'm at with it too. The Type R is a car I'd love to drive on a circuit, but I'm much happier zipping around town in something that doesn't earn a second look until the performance demands it. Even the base Civic is too busy for me, but as a longtime Honda fan I'm glad to see them focusing on performance again.

matmanx1

First of all, beautiful F-Type. Love the color. Secondly, did I hear right that the guy went through 2 Corvettes (and 3 Corvette motors) and couldn't get one that didn't overheat on the track? Ridiculous.

I've wondered before if Chevy's ridiculously awesome price to performance ratio with the Vette wasn't in part due to them skimping on some much needed engine cooling and oiling upgrades. I think some corners were cut that shouldn't have been cut.

Still, for most people who pick up just a Gran Sport and never take it to the track, this shouldn't be an issue. But I feel sorry for those Z06 folks who were planning on it being a cheap (ish) track weapon.

Futaba

right lads, cars setup, buggering off to Chiba to spend a few days with a friend working on a 911, I'll just leave it at that.

Viperbah

First of all, beautiful F-Type. Love the color. Secondly, did I hear right that the guy went through 2 Corvettes (and 3 Corvette motors) and couldn't get one that didn't overheat on the track? Ridiculous.

I've wondered before if Chevy's ridiculously awesome price to performance ratio with the Vette wasn't in part due to them skimping on some much needed engine cooling and oiling upgrades. I think some corners were cut that shouldn't have been cut.

Still, for most people who pick up just a Gran Sport and never take it to the track, this shouldn't be an issue. But I feel sorry for those Z06 folks who were planning on it being a cheap (ish) track weapon.

Regarding the Z06....I have an 16 A8 that I use at VIR and my local 1/4 track. I think some of the overheating issues were overblown by some mags early on....but the A8 will overheat in high ambient temps on a track...esp if you leave it in auto mode and not use the paddles. The M7 is better but still if your driving in high heat it will give you problems after a while.

If the temps are below 85 your not going to have a problem. The C6 ZR1 did the exact same things but to a lesser degree. Still, I get the disappointment by some people that get into a new Z06 and have it overheat when your on the track esp with the A8. It's always in the back of your mind and you have to almost drive around the issue. With all that being said, when the car is firing on all cylinders(and the track temps are cooler) the rest cars on your list are not going to keep up with it....at all.

My current z06 will be my last (and only) auto sports/track car. I am really hoping this new ZR1 they are showing is offered in manual.

Smokey

Not at all dealers lol

jO617Wf.jpg

Has to be fake.

the majority of sellers either cannot be bothered to sell themselves or leave it up to dealerships who take their vehicle in part exchange when upgrading, it just isn't within native Japanese residents nature to deal with buying and selling used cars it seems.
So most just end up going through auctions, which is where you will find the majority of cars in japan, you can of course find smaller lot-dealers dotted around but most of their stock was bought at auction too, or in trade-ins for other vehicles they have stocked.

Many private sellers just use yahoo, or advertise locally in mall message boards and such, which makes buying them over the internet near impossible.

Believe it or not your best bet for a bargain is just to drive around until you find a house with a car you'd like parked outside looking unused/unloved (quite easy in japan because generally people take good care of the vehicles they currently use), knock on the door and ask if they would sell it to you, in many instances they will, because a profit to get rid of what they consider unsightly junk is better than spending the cash to have it removed and recycled. (costs a lot here).

if you're looking to buy over the net, auction houses are your best bet, though.
So long as you have the cash ready to go and are quick on the trigger finger, it's quite easy.

That's good to know. Though I guess with auctions, it makes finding a good deal a bit harder. The other problem I see with older cars is that they are either in great condition and expensive, or completely rusted away.

I guess that also explains why there's abandoned cars in a lot of places.

Bandit1

I just want to take a minute to say thanks again to everybody who took the time to read my post about my dad and thanks to everyone who replied. So now I figured I'd post something fun. I sort of have a soft spot for Aston Martins, and ran across this really cool video they made showing off a lot of their historic cars and some of their newer models as well, even poking a little fun at themselves in the process.
Enjoy!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Has to be fake.

dealers provide a number of exceptionally valuable aspects of the car buying process that you cannot get from the manufacturers. for example if you bought that M2 online directly from BMW, where would you get your Ceramic Tint or Market Adjustment?

Tired of folks criticizing American dealerships. nobody is forcing you to use them. if you don't want to go through the Dealer then walk across the street and buy the car from the Magic Not Dealership.

dealers provide a number of exceptionally valuable aspects of the car buying process that you cannot get from the manufacturers. for example if you bought that M2 online directly from BMW, where would you get your Ceramic Tint or Market Adjustment?

Tired of folks criticizing American dealerships. nobody is forcing you to use them. if you don't want to go through the Dealer then walk across the street and buy the car from the Magic Not Dealership.

What does this mean?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
Would you guys get a used Porsche Boxster (2013) with Porsche approved CPO if it has a history of two rear collisions? One cost $4k to repair, the other $1k.

The car is otherwise low mileage, looks to be well maintained at the Porsche dealership, and is about $7k cheaper than similar cars. Its also being bought from the Porsche dealer.

ElyrionX

Old article from Jalopnik, but I think this pretty much explains why a majority of R35 owners are your stereotypical rich dudes that aren't car enthusiasts(though to be fair, this also applies to majority of rich people who aren't enthusiasts).

Horsepower As A Status Symbol, And Why Slow People Buy Fast Cars

Summed up in literally two sentences:

There's more to it than that, but basically the higher HP car you get, the more higher-end it looks, so yeah, still a status symbol coz of red brakes, accents, and all that other shit.

I disagree with the article. Status symbol means that people need to recognise something for how much it costs and 90% of people out there can't tell the difference between a S63 and a S400 and that one costs signifcantly more than the other.

golem

Would you guys get a used Porsche Boxster (2013) with Porsche approved CPO if it has a history of two rear collisions? One cost $4k to repair, the other $1k.

The car is otherwise low mileage, looks to be well maintained at the Porsche dealership, and is about $7k cheaper than similar cars. Its also being bought from the Porsche dealer.

That doesnt sound tooooo bad. Someone knocked the mirror off my m3 and the bill was $2k. You can probably get an invoice on the repair if they kept good records.

https://www.gtnet.co.jp/usedcar/00400_10406/index1.html
The silver one in particular is clean as hell.
First one has only done 20,000 km

Or you can buy crazy stuff at auction, like this
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/q152868818

Oh my fnck

Can 2027 get here already?!?!

Joking aside, there probably aren't any FD's from 1991 to 1992 right? I've been checking Japanese Classics at least once a week and they've only ever had 1 FD RX-7 and it was sold for $23K almost immediately IIRC. :(

Tbh, that sounds like a bad idea.

Even if it's CPO and all that, I'd be leery of getting it. The only way I would is if there's a Doug DeMuro approved "bumper to bumper warranty" on it. Otherwise, yeah I'd stay away.

I disagree with the article. Status symbol means that people need to recognise something for how much it costs and 90% of people out there can't tell the difference between a S63 and a S400 and that one costs signifcantly more than the other.

True and I agree normal people wouldn't be able to tell that you're driving a S63 or the Maybach S600... but at the same time, somebody can be driving a base model C300 with red brake calipers, hood vents, blacked out wheels, a gorgeous paint job and normal people would think it's a $100k car coz of the Mercedes badge.

Having worked at a luxury car dealer... I can tell you that regular people don't care that it's a C300/320i/A3 but once they see it has a MB/BMW/Audi badge, they automatically assume class and luxury(even if they're the shittiest trims you can get) and it's become their one way ticket to status.

Seriously, the customers we had who bought S550's, AMG models, and any of the higher end shit, they know what they're getting themselves into. But the customers who bought C300s, E350s, and all the lower end stuff, they simply bought it for the badge.

The article really only applies to the 1% and their friends.

v1lla21

Lol funny yall talking about Japanese classics since I was about to come in here and ask of it was legit. I spent a good hour just going through the pics on Facebook earlier today.

Lol yeah Japanese Classics is legit.

Back when Doug DeMuro was writing for Jalopnik, one of the DougCars was a R32 GT-R that he bought with the help of JC.

I know there's other importers out there but I've read a lot of good things about JC from other people besides Doug and those guys are probably the best in the business in terms of importing a JDM car the easiest way.

v1lla21

Love that they reply to everyone on Facebook. Guy asked about compression on the rx7 and they said they recorded a video and everything. Seems like they really go the extra mile to do the best they can.
Got me wanting to wait on the Miata and buy a car off of them lol.

I wouldn't.. what kind of absolute values are we talking about here anyway? $7k relative to how much?

As for the R34, yeah... it's happening already. R32's are basically mid 20's right now and it's progged to go higher for the next 5 years or so until the R33's become available here in the States. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if R34's are going to be higher than 60's once they finally become available over here... I've heard Canadian prices are basically at that point as well.
You're in foe a bad time if you're American and want a BNR34. Once they are legal, it's going to be $80K+ easy... Hell, I've been keeping track because I keep flipping between a 34 and 35 (since they are pretty much the same price.

A nice clean, B auction grade BNR34 right now is about $60-70K. The prices have been going up since I've started looking at auctions, and it's not going to slow down. After speaking to a few owners in Canada, it might just be worth it to fly to Japan and hit up specialty shops like Global Auto to make the purchase.
Depends a lot on grade as well. Massive difference between a base model and a V-Spec II nur or M-Spec nur (let alone even mentioning a z-tune).

Most I've seen a nur sell for was 20m yen (180k usd car cost) for a 321km millennium jade V-Spec II nur http://gtr-registry.com/forum/node/2696. That's 3x what the car cost new.

Another Bayside blue V-Spec II nur (fully modded by nismo, f-sport engine, the works) sold for high teens million yen too http://gtr-registry.com/forum/node/2332 (that car was purchased by an American).

This cant be right... market isnt that crazy for m2 anymore.
Local Ford dealership wanted a $10,000 markup on a Focus RS a few weeks ago, when every single Ford dealer within 250 miles of me has multiple RS sitting on their lots collecting dust. These cars just aren't selling, even for MSRP. Another dealer offered me MSRP on one back when I was looking at them and I decided against it. That exact car (the one for MSRP) is still on their lot today.

Gritesh

Watched this and Jesus he has had issues with the Corvette.

I love track days so this puts a damper on that quite a bit.

I've recently went and spent some time with the new ftype r awd, my wife agrees it's a "beautiful car that oozes sex appeal".

It snowed here again this past week so I haven't had any road time yet but I'll be road testing these cars when I can.

That doesnt sound tooooo bad. Someone knocked the mirror off my m3 and the bill was $2k. You can probably get an invoice on the repair if they kept good records.

Yeah but wouldn't you be worried about the resale, when you are the one trying to get rid of it?
I'm talking about the Porsche, not your M3.

matmanx1

I've owned multiple cars in the past that had previous minor accidents and as long as they are repaired correctly then there's nothing to worry about. Yes you will take a hit on the resale but then again you also get a discount when you purchase it so that part should balance out.

If Porsche is putting the "Certified" logo on it then they will stand behind it and I wouldn't let the minor accident damage sway me from purchasing it if it was the car that I wanted.

Local Ford dealership wanted a $10,000 markup on a Focus RS a few weeks ago, when every single Ford dealer within 250 miles of me has multiple RS sitting on their lots collecting dust. These cars just aren't selling, even for MSRP. Another dealer offered me MSRP on one back when I was looking at them and I decided against it. That exact car (the one for MSRP) is still on their lot today.
Speak of the devil... just checked my email today found this waiting for me...

uQ2DUG0.jpg

This particular one has an MSRP of $41k, so they are even dropping below to get rid of the RS clogging up the dealership lots. I find it fucking hilarious how some dealers are still trying to peddle the idea that the RS is low supply and hard to come by with $10,000+ dealer markups, like those fuckheads at Lake Elsinore Ford. They can't even get rid of these cars for under MSRP these days.

Makki

Speak of the devil... just checked my email today found this waiting for me...

This particular one has an MSRP of $41k, so they are even dropping below to get rid of the RS clogging up the dealership lots. I find it fucking hilarious how some dealers are still trying to peddle the idea that the RS is low supply and hard to come by with $10,000+ dealer markups, like those fuckheads at Lake Elsinore Ford. They can't even get rid of these cars for under MSRP these days.

It's a hard sale for non enthusiasts that will not appreciate the drivetrain value for what it is, when all they see is a flashy exterior kit and the same interior as an ST that they can get for low $20's. I hope they still bring them back if there's an RS for the next Focus model, and maybe Ford dealers will stop being dickheads with the "exclusivity" or whatever.

Evo X

I work for Porsche.

PM me the exact car and I'll look into it.

You should be good to go though. It must have all been cosmetic since Porsche won't CPO anything with structural damage.

Depending on in service date, you should still have bumper to bumper warranty left for a year or two.

If you do, you should hit me up, see some local stores with decent prices, eg:
http://www.be-take.com/
http://www.veruza.jp/

There's a section of road not far from me that literally has nothing but 32's, 33's 34's, 180SX, S14, S15, etc, too.

Sweet! I'm all about that! Thanks for the links by the way...

Depends a lot on grade as well. Massive difference between a base model and a V-Spec II nur or M-Spec nur (let alone even mentioning a z-tune).

Most I've seen a nur sell for was 20m yen (180k usd car cost) for a 321km millennium jade V-Spec II nur http://gtr-registry.com/forum/node/2696. That's 3x what the car cost new.

Another Bayside blue V-Spec II nur (fully modded by nismo, f-sport engine, the works) sold for high teens million yen too http://gtr-registry.com/forum/node/2332 (that car was purchased by an American).

Oh for sure... Thanks for the added information. It's still a toss up for me at the moment. I just have to get over the current sticker pricing on these cars landed in Canada.

v1lla21

Drove to the comic book store earlier today and spotted a SLS. Probably has to be in my top 5 for most beautiful cars. I love it so much. The things I'd do for a black series.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Fuck. No.

Unless you plan on driving the car into the ground do NOT buy that shit. You will have a terrible time trying to sell it down the line, and will very likely end up being severely upside down on payments. 2 accidents? Rear? Major nope.

My neighbor stupidly bought my 2012 Jag XF after my lease ended on it, and I told him not to unless he planned on using it past 100K miles. Well, he went to trade it in after 6 months because he had a hard time getting in and out of it (two knee surgeries) and took a $7500 hit. Bought it for 25000. Traded it in for 17.5K. Every month cost him over $1K. Absolutely foolish.

Find one in good shape. DO NOT SETTLE. Cars depreciate enough as is, you don't want to accelerate the process. Be logical.

No Love

Banned
Friend of mine has a white 2013 M3 6 speed with HRE wheels, full Dinan header/exhaust system, etc that he's down to sell me for a screaming deal in a couple months.

There's only one downside:
it's a vert. 🤔

But I live in San Diego so I'd most likely never put the hardtop back up because the weather here is near paradise.

Y/N? Basically would be a big S2000 lol.

This would be my daily and my holdover til I can get a Viper.

Anion

I was quoted $1k for a rear end accident that honestly didn't leave any damage except a minor (taking about 0.1 mm deep by 0.2 mm wide) indent that spanned ~0.5 inches long. And no paint damage. The only way for them to fix it was to "remold the bumper and repaint"

The $4k damage I assume might be worth looking into. Maybe an entire new bumper with paint. I know my father hit his CLS on the mailbox one icy night. Since the car has aluminum panels, they couldn't remove the dent - so they had to order a new door panel. The total cost for replacing the panel and painting was $8k, which somehow the insurance paid for. I would guess $4k would include a bumper and some lights or something

Top Bottom