• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG Aero said:
The Overlord series is really great and you are a bad person if you don't buy the package deal or at least Overlord II.

first overlord > second overlord, imo.

The first was clumsy, but focused. The second had more of everything, but lacked a bit of charm. But maybe that's just from the final boss though.

The first also had the benefit of not being 'another shooter' when it came out on consoles. Certainly my 'game of the year' in 2007, but that was from lack of actual competition. Same thing with Dead Space a year later.

That said, it is certainly a steal to get both for 5 bucks. Allready own both on Xbox360 though.

Cheech

Picked up Battle Chess and Stonekeep off GOG for 2.99 each.

Nice whetting of the appetite! Let's get this Steam sale on the road!

Luigi87

TheExodu5 said:
June 21st is the first day of Summer. That's my call on the start of the Summer sale.

They say the first day of Summer is the longest day of the year.

Those who've said that, have never waited for the Steam Summer Sale to begin.

Zeitgeister said:
first overlord > second overlord, imo.

The first was clumsy, but focused. The second had more of everything, but lacked a bit of charm. But maybe that's just from the final boss though.

The first also had the benefit of not being 'another shooter' when it came out on consoles. Certainly my 'game of the year' in 2007, but that was from lack of actual competition. Same thing with Dead Space a year later.

That said, it is certainly a steal to get both for 5 bucks. Allready own both on Xbox360 though.

yeah LOVED original overlord, but just didnt like the second. seemed more forced and puzzle like and didnt find the world as pretty or likeable

edit - but a steal at $5

cleveridea said:
yeah LOVED original overlord, but just didnt like the second. seemed more forced and puzzle like and didnt find the world as pretty or likeable

edit - but a steal at $5

Yeah, the second one just wasn't as good, and lost a lot of the magic that the first seemed to have.

sn00zer

SKIP OVERLORD
bought both for $5...really fun for about an hour, but after a while become really boring...its also technically very jarring with visuals and gameplay all over the place in terms of consistency

Hmm, Overlord pack for $5. Tempting, but I'm trying to show some restrain for the upcoming summer sale. Adding funds to my meager wallet now and again in a few days could have...unhealthy consequences. My wife sees it all, and knows it all. T_T

Worst of all, my wallet has currently $2.39 or some other stupid amount that prevents me from even getting OL II at $2.50. >_<

sn00zer said:
SKIP OVERLORD
bought both for $5...really fun for about an hour, but after a while become really boring...its also technically very jarring with visuals and gameplay all over the place in terms of consistency

Do not listen to this man.

SteelAttack said:
Hmm, Overlord pack for $5. Tempting, but I'm trying to show some restrain for the upcoming summer sale. Adding funds to my meager wallet now and again in a few days could have...unhealthy consequences. My wife sees it all, and knows it all. T_T

Worst of all, my wallet has currently $2.39 or some other stupid amount that prevents me from even getting OL II at $2.50. >_<
You can use your wallet to pay the initial 2.39, and then charge the other 20 cents.

I had 2 cents left once and it let me put that 2 cents towards something and then charge the rest.

LocoMrPollock said:
Yeah, the second one just wasn't as good, and lost a lot of the magic that the first seemed to have.
I finished 2 about a month ago and have to agree. Overlord 1 went on for too long and had its share of issues, but it still felt like you were wandering around a world, expanding your army, etc. Overlord 2 was extremely linear, still too long, and really wore out its welcome. I wound up youtubing the ending because the final boss took too long to beat and dying reset it back to the start of the fight.

Exuro

Morokh said:
What the hell is wrong with Direct2drive putting "NOT AVAILABLE ON STEAM" just above their Brink ad ? it is on Steam o_O
That's hilarious seeing as it's a Steamworks title. I'm not seeing this on their site though.

balladofwindfishes said:

Has a thread been made about it yet? I know Drkirby posted in this thread and the TF2 thread about it, but maybe it should be it's own thread. That second link seems to confirm it.

Exuro said:
That's hilarious seeing as it's a Steamworks title. I'm not seeing this on their site though.

It's on the UK D2D site. I believe it's because a number of developers and publishers have been signing deals with GAME and other stores to keep games off of Steam for a few months.

Baha

Morokh said:
What the hell is wrong with Direct2drive putting "NOT AVAILABLE ON STEAM" just above their Brink ad ? it is on Steam o_O

It's a steamworks game too, maybe they're poking fun at EA?

[EDIT]Not on the UK Steam store? Is it steamworks in NA only or something?

Salsa

sn00zer said:
SKIP OVERLORD

for the love of god, ignore this post

The Overlord games are fantastic, specially if you like Pikmin-esque gameplay.

Baha said:
It's a steamworks game too, maybe they're poking fun at EA?

[EDIT]Not on the UK Steam store? Is it steamworks in NA only or something?

Every version is Steamworks. It's just that retail have deals in place to keep the games off of Steam in the UK.

PaulLFC

I have Overlord 2 on 360, but haven't played it much yet. Do I buy the complete pack, or save the cash for the summer sale? What say you, GAF?

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Someone around these parts mentioned something about a cheapo 360 pad wireless dongle for the PC at some point, can someone give me some info? I'm seeing the official one for like $25-$30.

InertiaXr

Borgnine said:
Someone around these parts mentioned something about a cheapo 360 pad wireless dongle for the PC at some point, can someone give me some info? I'm seeing the official one for like $25-$30.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/design...controller-gaming-receiver-for-pc-black-56546

It's not 'official' but those will never see a price drop below $25-30 if they are still being sold for that right now. I have this one along with a controller I bought stand-alone at a store sometime and never had any issues with it working perfectly.

Weenerz said:
Can't search many gaming sites, has the Summer Sale been confirmed yet? What dates?

No. Valve has never disclosed a sale ahead of time.

New Release - Drive A Steam Train
Product Release - Valve
Drive A Steam Train is now available on Steam.

Take control of a Steam locomotive running through beautiful English countryside. Your hands are at the controls, the steam is swirling and the whistle blowing…

lolol.

Something that has bugged me about steam is the completely inexcusable idiotic way of handling volume in their videos. Or lack of, since it's not possible to adjust the volume(only mute) but the biggest problem is at the volume itself is a magnitude higher volume then anything else on my computer system. (Or my old one for that matter...)

I am far from alone as well with this problem as I realized after I searched around when feeling a bit bored and having been attacked once again by it since it also auto-plays video and I had actually bothered to turn on the audio the last time. There are a score different threads over at the steam forums about this subject, none with a response from valve though...

But what made me happy was that I found a tip in one of them which really helps if you have windows 7. You can set audio settings just for steam in the taskbar volume control!

Just right click and open it while steam is running!

Just wanted to share with anyone else who might have been having the same problem.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
SalsaShark said:
Im thinking 4 days from now. Why not start it the same day as last years? Its even a Friday.

Friday will be perfect. I'll drop maybe $60 or so into my wallet and try to budget that out through the whole sale. Or in reality, I'll probably spend it all over the first weekend and end up spending twice that.

Oh well, I could use some new games to look at in my library so it's all good.

thefil

I don't think there's a GOG thread...

Which is the best Descent game?

*edit* Have $100 in my budget for wanton spending. I wonder how much of it I'll use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom