• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport - Review Thread

Vroadstar

I want to support you on your noble endeavor to weed out these fakers.

Here's a list of all the people in the GTS OT that only have 2 posts or less.

Let's teach them a lesson.
Only if they have a negative opinion of course.

Thanks! but what does the list and the number of post got to do with anything I said?

I only called out Madkat because I found it curious that he own the game but then he's got tons of post here and other GTS thread deriding it while I haven't seen him much in the OT except the two post which I pointed out which were also both in negative slant.

So I wondered why he is spending a lot of time complaining about it instead of playing the game if he really owns it. He answered it saying he owns it and he got it just for his collection. Which makes sense I guess.

Also, I'm not the first the one who noticed

So you want GT 3 to 6 with newer cars and prettier graphics but with the GT:S handling model.

You have made a lot of coments in this thread deriding the new game but have you actually played GT:S, either the full version or the beta demo?

farisr

Imagine what the drive club team could have done with the budget and time this game had.
a shitload of Cars and tracks and the game probably running in 60fps. But still, it wouldn't have GT's driving.

Edit: It seems I misunderstood it as if driveclub came out today (meaning 3 additional years of dev time). But still additional budget and staff would've made a noticeable difference. Maybe not to the 60fps extent but noticeable nonetheless.

Man I wish I had really liked driveclub's driving but unfortunately didn't gel with it. I basically had the game as a relaxing tool where I'd turn the HUD off turn on random weather and sped up tod and just slowly go through different tracks enjoying the scenery and atmosphere.

a shitload of Cars and tracks and the game probably running in 60fps. But still, it wouldn't have GT's driving.

Man I wish I had really liked driveclub's driving but unfortunately didn't gel with it. I basically had the game as a relaxing tool where I'd turn the HUD off turn on random weather and sped up tod and just slowly go through different tracks enjoying the scenery and atmosphere.

This.

I only played DC for about 6-7 hours, but for me, it was easily the least pleasurable driving game I’ve ever played. Looked absolutely incredible though.

Onemic

The game to me is about a 7.5. The driving feels amazing, but there's such a dearth of content that it makes it hard to recommend unless you're really into competitive racing. Even the online, the thing that this game was supposed to be focusing on, is very light on content. Currently the dailies are essentially weeklies, so you're stuck doing the same 3 tracks over and over. The game also doesnt feel like there's much sense of progression with Sport mode having all the eligible cars for a given race unlocked for you to play.

I mean I guess this is why they called it GT Sport, because besides the driving this game doesnt feel like a GT title to me. They pretty much pulled a SFV.

The game to me is about a 7.5. The driving feels amazing, but there's such a dearth of content that it makes it hard to recommend unless you're really into competitive racing. Even the online, the thing that this game was supposed to be focusing on, is very light on content. Currently the dailies are essentially weeklies, so you're stuck doing the same 3 tracks over and over. The game also doesnt feel like there's much sense of progression with Sport mode having all the eligible cars for a given race unlocked for you to play.

I mean I guess this is why they called it GT Sport, because besides the driving this game doesnt feel like a GT title to me. They pretty much pulled a SFV.

The relative lack of silence regarding DLC specifics isn’t great, either.

My biggest complaints are the dailies being weeklies, server issues (if they persist beyond launch week I’ll be furious), and no real, publicly available schedule for more content. I’m sold on the platform—Sport Mode is like crack—but I need to see PD’s plans for forward progression. All we have on that end is “sure, more is coming!” Not exactly reassuring!

I find this game really compelling. The content that is there sounds amazing, I want to play it, but can't really justify spending for it when I already have some similar games that I already love and still need to complete.

With regards to the reviews, GT is it's own biggest enemy here. It sounds like comparing Sport to previous GT games, makes it look thin. It's actually kind of baffling that it doesn't even have a proper campaign mode. In a Racing game, I would assume that's one of the most basic thing you could do, build the UI, build dozens of Race scenarios. Let people Race in both single player, and multiplayer, that's essentially it.

Either way, the online portion sounds pretty cool, I love the E-sports slant. I look forward to playing it eventually, and especially look forward to it's proper successor, and may just wait for that for now.

Also, I think Polyphony could to well to take a serious page out of their competitor's books. Use some of that insane amount of money GT titles usually make, and outsource a lot of the content. Do whatever it takes, to add hundreds more cars, another 10-15 tracks, and build a proper campaign mode.

RenditMan

Banned
The relative lack of silence regarding DLC specifics isn’t great, either.

My biggest complaints are the dailies being weeklies, server issues (if they persist beyond launch week I’ll be furious), and no real, publicly available schedule for more content. I’m sold on the platform—Sport Mode is like crack—but I need to see PD’s plans for forward progression. All we have on that end is “sure, more is coming!” Not exactly reassuring!

Erm dailies are dailies.

Have you played the game?

farisr

Also, I think Polyphony could to well to take a serious page out of their competitor's books. Use some of that insane amount of money GT titles usually make, and outsource a lot of the content. Do whatever it takes, to add hundreds more cars, another 10-15 tracks, and build a proper campaign mode.
I agree on this part. Like I can understand maybe not wanting to work on a bunch of cars you have modeled time and time again (and that could possibly be one of the factors as to how this car roster ended up being this way with every car except for one being 2009 and onwards), so maybe outsourcing should be considered especially for those older cars (road cars in particlar). Have a polishing pass in-house to make sure nothing odd sticks out. Tracks however, I think should be handled by PD themselves.
Erm dailies are dailies.

The tracks are not switching daily and are scheduled to change on a weekly basis (rather than everyday like the beta) at this point in time,. that's what BBQ meant by "dailies are weeklies"

Erm dailies are dailies.

Yeah, I’ve got close to 15-20 hours into it. Tracks aren’t switching daily, in fact nothing has switched daily, and they are more appropriately called “hourlies.”

Or were, before the new 5 minute frequency kicked in.

Yeah, probably more comments in these GTS threads than all my posts combined. It's a series I have been very passionate about for a very long time. The series fostered my interest in cars and tuning and my love for general motorsports. Played the demo and own the game. I have nothing against the online. I've just been waiting a very long time for a new GT and feel disappointed.

This. GT played such an important part in me getting into racing games in general. Even GT5 with it's myriad of problem at launch, I put over 35 thousand miles into. I am vocal because I am a huge GT fan and getting this shell of a game after over 4 years of development time is infuriating.

Does the AI not bore you shitless in the older games? Doing the arcade single race challenges is like watching a scripted event happen every single time and was slightly worse in the older games. Going from sport mode where it is some of the best racing I have had on a console to the AI feels extremely dated.

The AI sucks. GT has always been about the driving. You do better to fix the AI. Not strip the entire single player out of the game and give us the shell of whatever GTS is supposed to be.

GHG

Damn this game doesn't even look like it will reach the 80 mark. Oh PD...

Forza retains the crown. But at least now people can enjoy the best racer on PC too

What crown? Because considering I actually play these games and don't just look at their metacritic scores it's not deserving of any crown this year.

Septic360

Banned
What crown? Because considering I actually play these games and don't just look at their metacritic scores it's not deserving of any crown this year.

As the best racing game? That crown? Lol which game do you think deserves that then? (Please don't say Driveclub)

Card Boy

Banned
Driveclub.

bro-fist.jpg

thelastword got banned?

Is this real life?

I'll be honest, I didn't see anything too inflamatory in his previous posts. He or she does tend to be a tad one sided.

Back on topic. The reviews don't seem to be negative from a gameplay standpoint. I'm gonna give the demo a shot. Really wish I had any justification to Buy VR. I love cockpit view, but it's just too limited in most of these games where they don't let you adjust seat position. Bonnet view is my go to. It'd be fun to try cabin view with a vr headset.

Loudninja

I'll be honest, I didn't see anything too inflamatory in his previous posts. He or she do tend to be a tad one sided.

Back on topic. The reviews don't seem to be negative from a gameplay standpoint. I'm gonna give the demo a shot. Really wish I had any justification to Buy VR. I love cockpit view, but it's just too limited in most of these games where they don't let you adjust seat position. Bonnet view is my go to. It'd be fun to try cabin view with a vr headset.
The demo is already done it was a limited time thing.

Grassy

Metacritic at 76 right now, oof.

thelastword got banned?

Is this real life?

Goodnight Sweet Prince...

I was convinced the mods kept him/her around just to have a laugh at some of the batshit-insane bullshit they used to type out...but I guess everyone...has their limits...

Denkoyugo

Neo Member
For anyone interested, in Holland Gamemania is keeping their preorder "sale" active for a week longer. So still 39 bucks (or 19 with 2 10 euro games handed in"

Still om the fence if it's worth the 39 euro. Bit sad considering i'd gladly pay 60 for a GT6 remake

GHG

And Forza Horizon 3 was enough of a fantastic game to warrant him saying Forza had the crown...

I see Horizon as separate to this discussion because it's more of an arcade game and the work that Playground do is on a whole different level to what Turn 10 have been doing this generation. It would be a disservice to lump them into one.

But the serious answer to that question is that the 3 games that have released this year have all dissapointed in various ways. If this was a race then all participants are DNF.

farisr

for a second there I thought you guys were sad about that particular poster being banned.

glad to see I'm not alone in thinking that some of the stuff they have posted was insane, it was a long time coming.
The demo is already done it was a limited time thing.
They really should get out another demo that stays up for people to try. It didn't change things for me, but there were quite a few people who were down on the game yet ended up loving it after trying it out.

It'd be in there best interest to have an active demo out there readily available for people to try out, because otherwise many may just dismiss the game outright based off the review/metacritic scores. But yeah, I suppose it being reliant on their servers, it would be best to wait till the launch rush on the servers dies down a bit and things stabilize.

GHG

for a second there I thought you guys were sad about that particular poster being banned.

glad to see I'm not alone in thinking that some of the stuff they have posted was insane, it was a long time coming.They really should get out another demo that stays up for people to try. It didn't change things for me, but there were quite a few people who were down on the game yet ended up loving it after trying it out.

It'd be in there best interest to have an active demo out there readily available for people to try out, because otherwise many may just dismiss the game outright based off the review/metacritic scores. But yeah, I suppose it being reliant on their servers, it would be best to wait till the launch rush on the servers dies down a bit and things stabilize.

If they bring back the demo version where the sport mode dailies are actually daily while us suckers who bought the full game are stuck with the weekly dailies.

tumblr_inline_nwr5hvS6Be1qdozhv_500.gif

Ign review is up.
. Probably hover around there.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2017/10/17/gran-turismo-sport-review

Edit: I agree with his review. I actually think it’s good.

I think it's a totally fair review. There are plenty of good things about the game. But the lack of content is killer.

It's a very empty game when you add up the tracks and real car models. Sure there may be loads of content added later, but you can't review what may or may not happen later.

I feel they shouldn't have released this at full price.

CaptainClaw

I see Horizon as separate to this discussion because it's more of an arcade game and the work that Playground do is on a whole different level to what Turn 10 have been doing this generation. It would be a disservice to lump them into one.

But the serious answer to that question is that the 3 games that have released this year have all dissapointed in various ways. If this was a race then all participants are DNF.

Fair enough

I'll be honest, I didn't see anything too inflamatory in his previous posts. He or she does tend to be a tad one sided.

A tad.......

Wow, 75? it's a bit low...

It's strange that well known IPs don't do well this gen. Well, at least PS4 would have the install base to back this game up.

I hope Assassins Creed Origin do well.

black070

It's strange that well known IPs don't do well this gen. Well, at least PS4 would have the install base to back this game up.

I will be so upset if Origin’s doesn’t deliver, but then again Syndicate reviewed poorly and I loved it.

Not that strange when they made big changes to the standard formula. Some are loving it, some not so much. PD took a risk with this and while it's mostly paid off, they have taken a bit of a hit for daring to be different.

Although to score as well as it has, shows how good the actual core game holds up, despite the lack of content, compared past games and the competition. As long as PD can add new cars, tracks and new features at regular intervals, then the game will get even better than it already is.

Top Bottom