• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Seven' Writer Andrew Kevin Walker and Justin Lin Tackling 'Lone Wolf and Cub'

Ross61

Justin Lin is producing the adaptation of the acclaimed manga and intends to direct.
Paramount has landed the adaptation of the seminal manga Lone Wolf and Cub, and now has Andrew Kevin Walker on board to write the script.

Justin Lin, who directed several of the Fast and Furious movies, and his Perfect Storm banner are producing the project along with Marissa McMahon and Kamala Films. Joshua Long is also among the producers. Lin, who has been associated with Cub since around 2012, is also looking to direct the feature.

Lone Wolf and Cub was created by writer Kazuo Koike and artist Goseki Kojima, who began publishing the manga series in Japan in 1970. The revenge story was epic in execution (it was close to 9,000 pages by the time it was done), acclaimed for its storytelling and its historical accuracy. It was influential in Japanese pop culture, spawning movies, a television series and even plays. The comics first began publishing in the US in the late 1980s.

The story told of a shogun’s executioner named Itto Ogami, who starts on a path of revenge after his wife and the rest of his house is murdered, leaving only his infant son alive. Itto is joined on this quest by his son, Daigoro, who, as he grows up, is trained to be a fearsome warrior and joins him as a father-son team of assassins for hire as they travel the country and seek vengeance against the clan that killed their family.

The project has been at Paramount on-and-off since 2003 and at one point even had Darren Aronofsky attached to direct.

Walker rose to prominence in 1995 thanks to his script for David Fincher's acclaimed crime thriller Seven, which starred Brad Pitt and Morgan Freeman as two detectives hunting down a deranged killer who modeled his kills off of the seven deadly sins.

He went on to pen scripts for 8MM as well as Tim Burton's Sleepy Hollow, which starred Johnny Depp in the retelling of the American fable. He also penned 2010's remake of The Wolfman that starred Benicio del Toro and Anthony Hopkins.

Walker's 2016 animated comedy Nerdland, starring Paul Rudd and Patton Oswalt, drew upon his early days in Hollywood trying to make it as a screenwriter.

He is repped by Brillstein Entertainment Partners and Ziffren Brittenham.

Didn't see it up so lock if old

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Out of the loop a bit when it comes to manga but the movie Shogun Assassin is based on this?

There is an entire series of movies from Japan already based around Lone Wolf and Cub and its been a big influence on tons of other media from Samurai Jack to Bob's Burgers. Shogun Assassin was spliced together from the first two Lone Wolf and Cub movies by Westerners and was kind of a mess.

At best I'll see them casting a halfie, like Keanu, but a full blown Asian male in a leading role? LOL. But, Justin Lin is involved, so maybe he'll try and get Sung Kang (Han) in the lead!

HStallion

Justin Lin convoluted the timeline of Fast and the Furious movies just so he could have Han back. He'll cast an asian dude.

The entire movie would have to be Japanese, or at least Asian, considering the setting.

Soapbox Killer

Grand Nagus
THIS SHOULD BE NETFLIX NEXT SHOW! I think its too long to make make justice out of the source material in a movie. Tv is the place to tell this story.

HStallion

THIS SHOULD BE NETFLIX NEXT SHOW! I think its too long to make make justice out of the source material in a movie. Tv is the place to tell this story.

Well there was a series of movies decades ago but yeah the story works far better in the long form.

Not

Banned
I wonder how many white main characters we're getting in this movie about ancient homogenous Japan. I'm setting the minimum at 4

tebunker

Banned
The entire movie would have to be Japanese, or at least Asian, considering the setting.

It fucking better well be.

Maybe I am crazy, okay I am crazy, but I need this movie to be as close as they possibly can to best plot points of the whole story. If I am not in tears at the end of this film they will have failed.

I am not even sure they can do this justice in 200 or so minutes.

Oh man my head is spinning.

Look I will be fine with a well cast adaptation. Daigoro better be resolute but adorable. After that I just want good actors and great scenes/settings.

And yes I agree, this should be a Netflix / Amazon series. There are just too many smaller stories and great characters to not go that format.

5taquitos

Justin Lin is one of the directors I'm least worried about when it comes to whitewashing.

That said, Hollywood fuckery knows no bounds.

Justin Lin needs to finish Space Jam 2 first damn it! :p Literally, I think he's said other projects are taking up his time and it's one of the reasons it's taking a while.

change the title and just say it's inspired by Lone Wold and Cub and not direct adaptation.
do it like Edge of Tomorrow. I don't expect they'll make a full on foreign movie with all japanese actor and speak japanese language. so just take the good bit of story and set it somewhere else like how The Departed did it.

I'm not sure if Lone Wolf and Cub name is big enough that it will bring a lot of people just because of the title. actually using the name is actually risky since there's a lot of potential of backlash from fans, either from not being faithful enough

Xe4

Banned
But why? Lone Wolf and Cub is a classic, there's no reason to remake it. Oh well, Hollywood gonna Hollywood.

HeatBoost

What kind of "adaptation" is this gonna be

Because "hardass killer with a little kid" might be a good American movie

But I see "American made Lone Wolf and Cub" and all I can imagine is

"Meet Oogami Itto, his boy Daigoro, and their friend, William Heart, a rootin' tootin' cowboy from America who hopes to win the heart of the attractive young woman who is sheltering the ex-assassin and his son."

wandering

Banned
At best I'll see them casting a halfie, like Keanu, but a full blown Asian male in a leading role? LOL. But, Justin Lin is involved, so maybe he'll try and get Sung Kang (Han) in the lead!

Keanu isn’t half, he’s like an eighth Chinese

Where did this “Keanu is a hapa” notion come from

Keanu isn’t half, he’s like an eighth Chinese

Where did this “Keanu is a hapa” notion come from

My mistake. The point is, they'll cast someone with some small amount of Asian in him an call it a day. And it might have come from 47 Ronin? That was the first time I found out he had any remote Asian heritage

Not

Banned
change the title and just say it's inspired by Lone Wold and Cub and not direct adaptation.
do it like Edge of Tomorrow. I don't expect they'll make a full on foreign movie with all japanese actor and speak japanese language. so just take the good bit of story and set it somewhere else like how The Departed did it.

I'm not sure if Lone Wolf and Cub name is big enough that it will bring a lot of people just because of the title. actually using the name is actually risky since there's a lot of potential of backlash from fans, either from not being faithful enough

Passion of the Christ, Prince of Persia, The Last Samurai

Hollywood could do whatever the fuck it wants. They already jump through enough hoops to shoehorn white people into everything, they could easily make this an English language film set in Japan. Who knows what'll hit with audiences? Obviously not Hollywood.

Top Bottom