• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata shipments and digital sales top 1.5 million

Vlaphor

Would be inclined to pick up the PC release sooner rather than later, but it sounds like they still haven't patched the issues it has.

The only issue I've come across is that the game runs poorly in 4k on my 1080ti...and I don't mean bad FPS, since I can get a mostly solid 60. It's that the game has a fair amount of input lag at 4k. Drop it down to 1440 and it runs like a dream and ultra-responsive. Any other issues can be generally fixed with FAR

Zukkoyaki

Recent supposedly "niche" games like this and Persona 5 are really delivering and selling millions of copies. Maybe there actually is a market for these kinds of games so long as the quality is there. Who would have thunk it? /s

Feel-good story, right there. Taro been grinding for years without a solid hit and he finally gets one with the best game he's ever made. Justice.

Right now it's my #1 game of the year. Might change once I finally get around to Zelda, but it's definitely staying in the top 3 by year's end.

I went for it twice, PS4 then PC, a favorite game. Sold the PS4 version though as didn't need both...yet I miss seeing it on the shelf. So maybe another +1 later on lol.

LotusHD

Banned
I...don't kno what to say here lol

Lol, yea. I swear basically every notable weird, self-deprecating, or blunt thing the dude has said while promoting his game got an article. Also the dude has an Emil head.

EDIT:

Lol, I remember this.

en336pefjrapc2gh6ggj.gif

I still can't believe I'm living in a reality where we got a Nier sequel, let alone a Nier sequel that has sold well.

giphy.gif

More Taro/Platinum goodness, pleaaaaase. (Obligatory Nier remaster/Platinum remake mention. The power of Taro compels me.)

benbeaux

Banned
Just finished the game today. I'm really happy for the game's success; it deserves every last bit of it. I wasn't the original Nier's biggest fan (while I loved the narrative and music, the gameplay really didn't make me want to play it more than I needed to), but Automata makes me want to go back and play it despite my issues with it.

Easily my favorite game this year, and I really enjoyed my time with both Zelda and Persona 5.

The power of putting Platinum's experience behind not actually making an action game can't be understated.

This game blew up among crowds I know who won't touch action games at all - people who play games for the story. Without the easy mode that literally plays itself, they would have just watched the game instead of buying it.

Yoko Taro knew what he was doing, making the team bend over backwards for the sake of enabling pick-up-and-play for as many people as humanly possible.

(I saw both this game and Prey at PAX East. This game had rows of demo booths and absolutely nothing standing between you and jumping right in. Prey had an in-your-face, massively attended demo session, but it was mainly a senior developer dying against one enemy again and again. The different sales outcomes between these two approaches is night and day.)

Exentryk

It's amazing how this game pulled off the trio of an amazing story, combat and music! I mean we wondered if the dream team of Taro, Platinum and Okabe could actually do it, but they nailed it.

Lol, yea. I swear basically every notable weird, self-deprecating, or blunt thing the dude has said while promoting his game got an article. Also the dude has an Emil head.

EDIT:

Lol, I remember this.

en336pefjrapc2gh6ggj.gif

Yeah, one of the smarter things Squeenix did for this game was to leverage Yoko Taro's weirdness as a marketing tool by letting him say and do whatever the fuck he wanted when promoting the game.

Couldn't be happier..... now about that nier hd square promised me if this "sold like hotcakes"

Steam will reach 500k before the end of the year.

No idea about PS4. Retail shipments are probably more or less wrapping up. I'm sure it will continue to sell digitally.
Never under estimate the power of a flash sale.

GHG

So that means we will get another one right?

I'm so happy game like this, Persona and Yakuza did well. Fingers in the air to all the closed minded people on here who were saying these games are "niche Japanese games lol", will have no impact and won't sell. Most games start niche before they get a breakthrough, it's just how it goes.

Well deserved. But fix the PC version so I can double dip please.

Exentryk

I'm excited by Ni3R's potential. They'll probably give Taro and Platinum a little more budget now, so looking forward to seeing it.

Buckle

So that means we will get another one right?
Oh hell yeah.

His previous games sold nowhere near this good. Whatever he (Yoko Taro) wants to do next, I imagine he's not going to have to fight anybody to get it greenlit.

Just hope he sticks with Platinum if his next game is still an action RPG. Those two really cover each other's weaknesses perfectly.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I started the game thinking it was another character action game from Platinum Games but it starts out as a sidescrolling shmup. Then it effortlessly transitioned into a twinstick shooter and then the Platinum action Im used to.

My mind was thoroughly blown at this point. This game deserves all the praise and sales it can get.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Oh hell yeah.

His previous games sold nowhere near this good. Whatever he (Yoko Taro) wants to do next, I imagine he's not going to have to fight anybody to get it greenlit.

Just hope he sticks with Platinum if his next game is still an action RPG. Those two really cover each other's weaknesses in awesome way.

I'm pretty sure all his previous games combined still haven't sold this good. :p

Top Bottom