• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata shipments and digital sales top 1.5 million

StereoVsn

That's nice.

Maybe they can spend some money to fix the PC version so people with Nvidia 700 series cards can play the fucking thing.
The lack of support from SE for this game is terrible. One would think with its success they could have thrown some yen toward Platinum for patches. Yet here we are.

The PS4 and PC users did their job...so where is the xbox one version Square?

ysuS0.gif

pbayne

I wonder how much of its success is due to the character design..

Probably a good bit. It has in my mind probably the most unique and attractive character designs in a while. Like people seemed to latch on to them a lot more than Persona 5 for example.

Mubrik

It hasn't even been heavily discounted for any significant amount of time yet. It'll clear 2 million for sure.

i have to say I've been wanting to play this for a while now, i had a backlog and was waiting for a discount and to my surprise the game was still fully priced!, ordered anyways. cant wait!

LotusHD

Banned
I wonder what type of Pokemon Emil would be.

Probably a good bit. It has in my mind probably the most unique and attractive character designs in a while. Like people seemed to latch on to them a lot more than Persona 5 for example.

Oh yea, definitely. I see 2B in the most random places, like Kat from Gravity Rush getting her outfit, to people adding her as a mod for SFV. And of course, can't forget the cosplayers.

duckroll

Kimihiko Fujisaka has never led design on a game that sold much. Ever. On the other hand, Akihiko Yoshida is no stranger to million sellers.

:)

Yeah, there is no doubt in my mind that 2B helped sell this game in the run-up to release. That just attests to the strength of the character design, though. Her design is really memorable... and she has a nice butt.

duckroll

Yes, 2B this popular in terms of fan reception and getting 9S in so many reviews placing it in an A2 spot of critical acclaim.... we cannot overlook the contribution of the character designs.

I love the scene in the toco toco documentary where they're all fooling around like they're just then choosing between the preliminary character designs.

Jotakori

I'm so happy for the success of this game!! It's so absolutely wonderful, and deserves every bit of it.

It's only been a month or two since I beat it and I'm already replaying it again. I think it might even be taking that spot of favorite game of all time for me.
I will 100% be there day one for if/when another Nier game gets released -- or any future Yoko Taro game, tbh!

It certainly doesn't hurt that if the game hits you, it hits you like a goddamn train.

I'm sure word of mouth really helped get more people to pick it up after the first wave completed Route E.

Shin

Banned
The marketing budget was well spent getting Sunhi to make these gifs.

Hahaha, it's the artstyle, character design, katana, buttery smooth movement.
Altogether in one package, hard to not want to purchase it and so I shall :)

addik

So I told Taro to make Aeris not die... he actually did it the absolute madman hahahahaha.

I can totally see Yoko Taro not killing Aerith at that scene...

and in an ensuing battle against Sephiroth, Cloud is forced to use materia that would end up killing Aerith. So now, Cloud carries the guilt of having killed Aerith instead. Route B starts then.

Sesha

I wonder how many were sold based on the Opera boss gameplay from last E3. I know I was. Until then I remained interested but skeptical.

I wonder how many were sold based on the Opera boss gameplay from last E3. I know I was. Until then I remained interested but skeptical.

That's about when I decided it was up there with Gravity Rush 2 and Persona 5.

It ended up surpassing both for me by the time the credits rolled.

Much as I complain about Automata, I'm super happy for Taro. Well deserved, and I hope he finds continued success in whatever he does next - whether it's a game or a restaurant or an endless stream of no effort waifu mobage.

Ferr986

And here I love the game even though I hate the character designs, especially 2B lol awful stuff.

Anyways, congrats to the team and YT, the game deserves it for sure.

LotusHD

Banned

I think I saw previous gameplay, but yea, that was when the game was firmly lodged in my memory. Main thought was "Yea, this is how you do a boss fight." Also that was my first time listening to music from either of the NieR soundtracks, so yea...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Much as I complain about Automata, I'm super happy for Taro. Well deserved, and I hope he finds continued success in whatever he does next - whether it's a game or a restaurant or an endless stream of no effort waifu mobage.

Next game to be based off the ending where 2B goes fishing.

Wow these sales are crazy.
Never expected Nier to sell that much but it seems these high quality Japanese titles from Yakuza to Persona to Nier are all selling great.

I hope to contribute a sale too soon, Gaf won't shutup about this game and the videos/gifs along with story seem awesome.

Top Bottom