• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata shipments and digital sales top 1.5 million

It was the reveal trailer that sold me not only on the game, but on a PS4. It didn't even show any gameplay. All it told me was that 1) it was a Nier sequel, 2) it was being developed by Platinum and 3) art was by Akihiko Yoshida. That was enough for me to go out and make a $400 purchase and pre-order a game that wasn't coming out for 2 years.

This is amazing news, more Taro can only be good for games (and me).

Wow, he was able to SWITCH his sales fortunes around just by partnering with the right devs. I'm sure it's been a JOY to finally CONtinue the Nier story and and hopefully he can get an HD Drakengard remaster going without too much of a RUMBLE for a funding.
SQEENIX! Please fix PC and port to N-Gage

duckroll

I wonder how many were sold based on the Opera boss gameplay from last E3. I know I was. Until then I remained interested but skeptical.

I actually hated that demo. It was early and I didn't like how there were zero visual or audio feedback cues when attacking the boss. The whole thing looked very boring and grindy for a Platinum title.

What ultimately sold me on the visual design of the game was the stream where they showed off the prologue parts where you get into the flight unit and go mecha vs mecha on the boss.

Raitaro

Impressive!

Now feel free to chant along with me so Square-Enix might notice and Yoko Taro gets his chance to do a: Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake!

Ok, I'll stop now.

Please SE. That game deserves a more polished, content-filled version that makes its brilliance shine through more clearly for old fans and new (Automata) ones.

Ascheroth

Not bad, not bad at all.

Could have been even better if they hadn't botched the Asia PC launch and actually patched the game in the ~2.5 months it's out already, but no. Sh*t Square Enix indeed. Very disappointing how they are treating a game this great and well-selling.

pbayne

Imagine how much it would have sold with better box art lol.
Just griping cause i have the shitty non-reversible standard eu copy.

kc44135

Wow, incredible sales! Having just finished the game myself, I can say it deserves all this success and more. It's an absolute masterpiece. Also, I really think it's worth pointing out that not only was Nier: Automata a niche sequel to a niche game, it was also released in one of the most high quality, jam packed years in gaming history. That it's sold as well as it has is a testament to it's quality, and perhaps the strength of word of mouth, I think. At any rate, congratulations Platinum and Yolo Taro! Well deserved!

Kazuhira

The power of the booty.
The game is awesome but SE needs to step up with his support post-release,i don't like how they half-assed it with the pc version.

Setsuna

Nice Now if you could just like fix the PC version that would be great!

Even if I already beat the whole game, and unlocked everything. I would like to be able to walk around and not have the game crash 20 times

The only issue I've come across is that the game runs poorly in 4k on my 1080ti...and I don't mean bad FPS, since I can get a mostly solid 60. It's that the game has a fair amount of input lag at 4k. Drop it down to 1440 and it runs like a dream and ultra-responsive. Any other issues can be generally fixed with FAR
I played 1440p on a 1080 with no issues without FAR. I just had to use borderless gaming to fix the rendering resolution issue.

Nice Now if you could just like fix the PC version that would be great!

Even if I already beat the whole game, and unlocked everything. I would like to be able to walk around and not have the game crash 20 times
I managed to get 24 hours into the game by playing in 10-30 minute chunks between crashes and I might have even been able continue this way, except my save has somehow become corrupted (it shows up but nothing happens when i try to load it). Fuck this game.

Congrats to Yoko Taro and Platinum! The fact the game even got made is a miracle, and now it's a runaway success. Personally, this game made a real impact on me. Its story and characters will stay with me as long as I live.

Impressive!

Now feel free to chant along with me so Square-Enix might notice and Yoko Taro gets his chance to do a: Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake! Nier Remake!

Ok, I'll stop now.

Please SE. That game deserves a more polished, content-filled version that makes its brilliance shine through more clearly for old fans and new (Automata) ones.

I would hate a remake honestly, it's flaws give it character. Plus if everyone makes fun of me for that statement which I deserve do you really want taro to just make the same game again? If rather see something different, niers already perfect to me..... Now remaster on the other hand.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Rising is probably > 2 million, maybe > 3 million. It's over 650k on Steam alone, and 450k in Japan on PS3.

I think Nier at least has a chance of passing it on Steam, especially if they patch the damn thing. But MGR did come out late on Steam.

mrmickfran

I always frequent that "best selling games" page on Wikipedia.

This is my first time seeing a Platinum title there.

This is surreal.

Not exactly the biggest fan of this game but I do enjoy seeing an atypical game like this being as successful as it is. Hopefully it sets the precedent for other games like this to be greenlit.

Awesome, best game I've played all year. Just as thoughtful as the first Nier, and far less shaggy. Surprised but happy so many people bought such a weird game.

en336pefjrapc2gh6ggj.gif

I wish more people were secretly Hideki Kamiya.

Liamc723

I can't say I think the game deserves all of the praise it gets after fully finishing it a few days ago, but good for Yoko Taro and Platinum Games.

Top Bottom