• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall PC: Pilot Hunter/CTF gone as separate modes: "not widely used, long waits"

BokehKing

Banned
Its cool that its not completely gone, but this kinda speaks toward the attitudes of FPS players in general today. Everyone is all deathmatch 24/7...no variety.
To be fair, there is not a lot of variety offered.
Game is in desperate need of a 'king of the hill' or 'plant/defuse' game mode

Something besides variants of TDM

Problem could be that everyone gets a titan and just go into TDM once in one...
To be honest I rather leave the titan in follow mode because the pilot movement is the shining gem of the game

Just points for pilot kills. Same as attrition except for without all the other points

That mode always seemed pointless to me but CTF in Titanfall is great when you have a good team.
It's pretty fun to grab the flag and ride a teammate's titan to the other side.

Why not just make one big lobby for all and instead of having thw choice of maps to play on you get to decide what game mode to play :)

Woo-Fu

Banned
So they neutered Hardpoint and have now mostly removed CTF and Pilot Hunter.

Reducing modes to alleviate problems with players steadily leaving the game would seem to be counterproductive.

Oh, and lol at the people making this a steam vs. origin issue.

Lunzio

I don't think its likely EA had any part in this change, it would bet this is entirely a Respawn decision.

It's seemingly a cost decision based on running servers, but I wouldn't ever fault EA more than Respawn. Really leaves a sour taste in my mouth for that company (Respawn).

Woo-Fu

Banned
It's seemingly a cost decision based on running servers, but I wouldn't ever fault EA more than Respawn. Really leaves a sour taste in my mouth for that company (Respawn).

Highly unlikely that physical hardware is dedicated to particular game modes. More likely there is a pool of resources than can host X amount of instances, regardless of what match type a particular instance is.

Lunzio

Highly unlikely that physical hardware is dedicated to particular game modes. More likely there is a pool of resources than can host X amount of instances, regardless of what match type a particular instance is.

Makes more sense. I honestly have no idea what these things are comprised of.

Skyzard

Banned
BF4 is really good though ...

I did buy it quite a few months after it came out.

But yeah, lovely tweaks over 3, especially with the interface.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Because they forced Respawn to use their service exclusively, taking away potential users that Steam would have afforded it, for starters.

The hell does that matter. It's not as if there isn't dead multiplayer games on Steam. The crux of the matter if Respawns total inability of dealing with a game of low playerbase and the decision to nuke it

Principate

Saint Titanfall
they are citing not having enough to users as the reason why they are removing the modes. after ignoring the biggest marketplace.

They are citing unpopular game modes that is does automatically equal no users (though it's often the case). TF2 has completely dead game modes, it's a very popular game. Being on steam does not fix that.

The issue is how you deal with that which in Respawns case is horrible.

Pathetic for a game lacking content and is MP only. Very bad decision and made way too early. Are they seriously expecting the game to not grow over time?

scitek

They are citing unpopular game modes that is does automatically equal no users (though it's often the case). TF2 has completely dead game modes, it's a very popular game. Being on steam does not fix that.

The issue is how you deal with that which in Respawns case is horrible.

He asked why people were blaming EA, I proposed a possible reason.

Edit: My issue is that this decision was made way too early, in my opinion. They're treating the pc audience like the console audience, when the two have traditionally been different. PC isn't typicallu nearly as front loaded, and there's often reward for sticking it out.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
He asked why people were blaming EA, I proposed a possible reason.

But again that's a poor reason at best. Which is why he was wondering why people were blaming EA in the first place.

EA gets a lot of rightful flak but it's not always their fault.

aeolist

Banned
it's more of a problem with the server infrastructure. going with azure would be fine if they allowed users to spin up their own private instances and use a server browser, even if they didn't allow mods.

that part may be on EA, since it seems like they were the ones in bed with microsoft more than respawn. they do have a history of ignoring basic PC features though (MW1/2/3)

they are citing not having enough to users as the reason why they are removing the modes. after ignoring the biggest marketplace.

Being on Steam hasn't helped Ghosts... This ain't an origin vs steam thing.

This is an unpopular playlist thing. Something that wasn't being used heavily is going away.

And really, it isn't even that. It is a number of poor decisions made over a long period of time which has come to a head.

Poorly conceived, executed and communicated. The whole game.

I bought the game, and losing these playlists is actually fairly meaningless in the bigger context of what has gone wrong for this game on the PC.

Removing access (save Variety/Private) to a game mode makes no sense. Or the idea of game modes being on rotation through playlists. It's not F2P, right? Why is this deemed an apt setup, or solution to said setup creating issues? It just sounds abysmal.

macewank

So, because not a ton of people used those modes, now nobody can? That's interesting logic, especially with Azure.

Unless each gamemode requires specific code maintenance on the server side, which is entirely possible. I kind of get the "time vs reward" argument, if so.

This is utter garbage, taking away choice is never a good thing. (Though I have to admit in the couple weeks I played Titanfall I can't say I really hit anything other than Hardpoint.)

Well I finally got through to someone decent at EA about this. I may have not been greatly affected by this playlist change, but I still don't like it on principal considering how new the game is.

Anyway, since I bought the game at retail, they weren't able to just do a flat refund, but they did give me premium access for my copy of Battlefield 4. Not too bad I suppose.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Well I finally got through to someone decent at EA about this. I may have not been greatly affected by this playlist change, but I still don't like it on principal considering how new the game is.

Anyway, since I bought the game at retail, they weren't able to just do a flat refund, but they did give me premium access for my copy of Battlefield 4. Not too bad I suppose.

I like EA customer support or maybe it's simply because I've been screwed over by so many customer supports, that they seem good.

ShowDog

If a game as big as Titanfall can't succeed with a lobby system (and it clearly can't) then lobby systems are fucked. It would be wildly irresponsible to force that in the future. I'll remember next purchase I make.

scitek

Being on Steam hasn't helped Ghosts... This ain't an origin vs steam thing.

This is an unpopular playlist thing. Something that wasn't being used heavily is going away.

And really, it isn't even that. It is a number of poor decisions made over a long period of time which has come to a head.

Poorly conceived, executed and communicated. The whole game.

I bought the game, and losing these playlists is actually fairly meaningless in the bigger context of what has gone wrong for this game on the PC.

I'd argue Ghosts hasn't done well because of series fatigue and other factors, and that Titanfall would've had the advantage of being a new IP in its favor, but ultimately you're right. I don't blame it being on Origin for this.

Top Bottom