• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2012)

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Really loving it so far. It's got a bit of a Dead Space feel to it .. not to say the stories are similar in any way. And I'm loving the element of the unknown and exploration. Unless the second half falls apart I think overall this is gonna be one of my favorite books that I've read in the past year or two.

Agreed, it's really good! Must read more Alastair Reynolds!

so after i watched the movie, i finally bought "the hunger games", because I want to now how the story continues - but i wanted to start reading at the very start.

the UK adult edtion of the books have very simple, beautiful covers - when it arrived I saw a stupid "NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE" sticker on it ... only to discover that it wasn't a sticker, but a printed fake-sticker .... what a good way to ruin a book cover ...

561769_3588815609209_1537902039_3127467_1260149370_n.jpg

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
I just finished Oscar Wilde's The Canterville Ghost and I think I am going to read This Side of Paradise by Fitzgerald next.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
so after i watched the movie, i finally bought "the hunger games", because I want to now how the story continues - but i wanted to start reading at the very start.

the UK adult edtion of the books have very simple, beautiful covers - when it arrived I saw a stupid "NOW A MAJOR MOTION PICTURE" sticker on it ... only to discover that it wasn't a sticker, but a printed fake-sticker .... what a good way to ruin a book cover ...

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/561769_3588815609209_1537902039_3127467_1260149370_n.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I'll search until the end of my days for a copy of V For Vendetta that doesn't have the "now a major motion picture" banner on it.

Jarlaxle

4956466966_a379892b90_z.jpg

I'm about half way done with it and just finished part 2. I enjoyed the last hundred pages alot more than the first hundred or so because it dealt more with the pilgrims. Hopefully this keeps up throughout the finish.

Karakand

561769_3588815609209_1537902039_3127467_1260149370_n.jpg

These are great. A Scarlet Letter for adaptation readers.

the-devotion-of-suspect-x.jpg

I've just finished it, actually
A great thriller, pretty clever (with a good twist too) thought maybe one too many scenes of characters drinking cups of coffee lol
I do recommend it, it's very easy reading, I finished it in two days

Started reading this on sunday night, finished it monday night, always a sign of a fun read when I can't put it down...

MichaelCrighton_Timeline.jpg

I enjoyed this book as well...I think there's this line near the beginning of the book about how one of the characters was born in the wrong time that always stuck with me for some reason.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
After taking a small break, I finished up Mistborn: The Final Empire the other day. Fucking awesome, and I can't wait to read the next two. Sadly that wont happen until at least pay day. So for now I'm reading -

200px-Hunger_games.jpg

The Hunger Games.

About 4 or 5 chapters in and its definitely a YA book to say the least :p The writing seems a bit... juvenile.

Doesn't help that I absolutely loathe the 1st person present tense perspective in books/stories.

Magni

4956466966_a379892b90_z.jpg

I'm about half way done with it and just finished part 2. I enjoyed the last hundred pages alot more than the first hundred or so because it dealt more with the pilgrims. Hopefully this keeps up throughout the finish.

I enjoyed it, read it last year. The Endymion books that follow are OK, but definitely not up to par with the first two IMO.

Getting into Faust right now:

tmSv2.jpg

I read The Hunger Games about 2 years ago but never bothered with the sequels. After watching the film the other day it's got me back in the mood, so I'm re-reading the first one before moving on to the sequels.

Doesn't help that I absolutely loathe the 1st person present tense perspective in books/stories.

It is especially bad in Hunger Games. I have to think the lack of all the awful inner monologue would make the movies a lot better than the books. (Haven't seen the movie).

nitric0

As said by many others, after watching The Hunger Games I started reading the book to know more about the story and characters.

bengraven

If you mean just in YA novels we are in agreement.

If you're old, you find the writing awkward - like reading a 13 year old's journal.

If you're young, you keep thinking, "we don't talk like that".

eattomorro

Neo Member
the-devotion-of-suspect-x.jpg

I've just finished it, actually
A great thriller, pretty clever (with a good twist too) thought maybe one too many scenes of characters drinking cups of coffee lol
I do recommend it, it's very easy reading, I finished it in two days

Hmm, appreciate the heads up on this book gonna give it a go. Even tho I'm more a tea guy!

Gilgamesh

51Hfk-e-gUL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

This book keeps making me think about Shenmue. They're looking for this thing called the Ma Wi Jung and it reminds me of Ryo saying, "What can you tell me about the four Wudu?"

What can you tell me about the Ma Wi Jung?

Ceebs

Finished Sacre Bleu!. Fantastic as always. Maybe his best.

Next I decided to see what all the fuss is about:

6a00d8341c630a53ef016302ca3d9e970d-800wi

I am shocked this is the best selling book on Amazon. I guess owning a Kindle lets the masses read their kinky sex fiction without letting anyone know about it.

Zerokku: How... how do you loath an entire narrative perspective? How the hell could a person even respond to such a criticism? Do you just hate people telling stories about their lives? What about the fact that a first-person perspective has the potential to give you insights into a person's mode of thinking that a third-person perspective can only tell or imply? What about the fact that limiting the perspective of a story can be a very useful way of focusing your attention on particular things?

I... I think I need to go lie down...

_Isaac

RoGYR.jpg

I recently finished A Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin.
I thought it was pretty good. The beginning was a little slow like the first book, but I ended up enjoying it. I have to say there was a tiny bit too much Tyrion though.

TiYdl.jpg

I also recently finished Test-Driven Development: By Example by Kent Beck. It was only okay I guess. He makes it all look so easy though.

XqdBP.jpg

I am now working on The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I started this a long time ago, but I took a break, so I could finish ACoK. It's a nice book when it's about the investigation. It's a dull book when it's about girls and puppy love.

Ceebs

XqdBP.jpg

I am now working on The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I started this a long time ago, but I took a break, so I could finish ACoK. It's a nice book when it's about the investigation. It's a dull book when it's about girls and puppy love.

The last act of the book will blow your mind. I had to finish it in a single sitting once it go going towards the end.

Arment

KR4nY.jpg

I really like it. I heard they were making it into an HBO show and the concept sounded cool. I'm kind of tired of epic length series so I've been getting into some standalone stuff. I finally read Fight Club but wasn't really all that impressed with it.

I'm about half way done with American Gods and I'm not finding it boring like some. Apparently he's going to write more books like it now that it's going on HBO.

Ceebs

Finished the first book and moving on to book 2.

11857408.jpg

I swear there is a sex scene every other chapter. Even after my March Chick-Lit/Romance Marathon this seems crazy. 5 chapters into this book has provided the same amount of sex scenes as 2-3 of those books.

I can't wait to see how they go about turning this into the movie they are planning.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-WSxdogvlMMA/T0IFDwcp4UI/AAAAAAAAEXY/8e1agW4PU1s/s1600/11857408.jpg[IMG]

I swear there is a sex scene every other chapter. Even after my March Chick-Lit/Romance Marathon this seems crazy. 5 chapters into this book has provided the same amount of sex scenes as 2-3 of those books.

I can't wait to see how they go about turning this into the movie they are planning.[/QUOTE]
If you're going to be pandering to women I'm sure sex isn't really all that high on the list of bullet points.

Finished Sacre Bleu!. Fantastic as always. Maybe his best.

Next I decided to see what all the fuss is about:

6a00d8341c630a53ef016302ca3d9e970d-800wi

I am shocked this is the best selling book on Amazon. I guess owning a Kindle lets the masses read their kinky sex fiction without letting anyone know about it.

The premise of this book sounds fucking ridiculous. Like fan fiction, even.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've only had my Kindle for about a month but I learned quick that the bestseller lists on Amazon are completely worthless.

LiQuid!

From what I gather, it started as Twilight fan fiction. It's pretty hilarious and I can't put it down. I guess that says something about me.

If that's true that's the funniest shit of all time.

I just got a 1st gen Nook yesterday, so I'm planning on starting the Steve Jobs biography and hopefully looking around on GAF for some more recommendations and interesting free ebooks.

11857408.jpg

I can't wait to see how they go about turning this into the movie they are planning.

Yeah, I was surprised they're making a movie. How can it NOT be an NC-17 movie? All they do is have sex, talk about the sex they had, then talk about sex that they're going to have later. I had to stop at book 2. It was getting *way* too fan-fictiony to me and after I read that it was based on Twilight, I couldn't stop picturing Shovel-face and Vanilla as the characters!

I'm slowly making my way through a bunch of books:

Howards End (Everyman's Library by E.M. Forster

Stay Awake by Dan Chaon

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

It's a race to see which one I'll finish first.

edit: BTW, I made the Goodreads BBcode thing for books use bigger images. Hope no one minds!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Wanted a Popcorn n' Spaceships book, and was directed to this on twitter:

yOuc2.jpg

Diving into the Wreck by Kristine Kathryn Rusch, published by Pyr Books. Seems like the perfect suggestion so far.

Karakand

Second-person omniscient future tense or bust.

I prefer the first-person plural present perfect myself. It's rather repetitive, however.

BTW, love the Back to the Future branding on Diving into the Wreck's cover.

Zerokku: How... how do you loath an entire narrative perspective? How the hell could a person even respond to such a criticism? Do you just hate people telling stories about their lives? What about the fact that a first-person perspective has the potential to give you insights into a person's mode of thinking that a third-person perspective can only tell or imply? What about the fact that limiting the perspective of a story can be a very useful way of focusing your attention on particular things?

I... I think I need to go lie down...

First-person is great, though if we can set aside your incredulity about narration preferences, first-person past is that Platonic ideal we should be striving for but ultimately failing at.

Nothing says workman prose like a third-person omniscient narrator.

Karakand

And we were just joking around. ::shakes fist::

Which part should I elaborate on, first-person past or third-person omniscient? Or Both? :eek:

Top Bottom