• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2012)

Orujv.jpg

Visit the April GAF Book Club thread! The book this month is _________

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

GAF Recommends!

Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study <-- a must for people looking to learn when they read!
History Books
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
Post-apocalpytic Books
Books of 2010
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Lengthy Books
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Summer Reading
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Fantasy Recommendations
Scary Books
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)

Explore
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

What are you reading (December 2010)
What are you reading? (November 2010)

What are you reading? (October 2010)

What are you reading? (September 2010)

What are you reading? (August 2010)
What are you reading? (July 2010)

What are you reading (June 2010)
What are you reading?(May 2010)
What are you reading? (April 2010)
What are you reading? (March 2010)
What are you reading? (February 2010)
What are you reading? (January 2010)
What are you reading? (December 09)
What Are You Reading (November '09)
What are you reading? (October 09)
What are you reading? (September 09)
What are you reading? (August 09)
What are you reading? (July 09)
What are you reading? (June 09)
What are you reading? (May 09)

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Been too busy writing the last little while to read much, but I'm a couple chapters in:

61663.jpg

Includes this amazing quote:
Carl Sagan said:
"Look the pale blue dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every "superstar," every "supreme leader," every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam.

The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors, so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the Universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. The Earth is the only world known so far to harbor life. There is nowhere else, at least in the near future, to which our species could migrate. Visit, yes. Settle, not yet. Like it or not, for the moment the Earth is where we make our stand.

It has been said that astronomy is a humbling and character building experience. There is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly with one another, and to preserve and cherish the pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known.

Snowcrash.jpg

About a fifth of the way done. Started really strange, a style of writing I hadn't encounter before, but the story is really picking up. When I read the general description of the book at Amazon I really thought the book was going to be lame given how many years it has passed since it was written, but so far the technology described so far sounds plausible.

Karakand

When I read The Golden Calf, I didn't quite understand why Nabokov enjoyed Ilf and Petrov, but The Twelve Chairs is far more Russian (and Nabokovian) so at least I've finally got that cleared up now.

rubicon.jpg

Very awesome. I've always wanted to gain some knowledge about the Roman Republic but it always seemed like a daunting task, what with not knowing where to start and what specifically to read. This book is crazy accessible for someone who knows next to nothing about that period in time.

Has anyone here read The Three Musketeers by Dumas? I remember reading it awhile ago and absolutely hating it, but after somewhat recently re-reading The Count of Monte Cristo I've been thinking about giving it another try. Good or bad idea?

Redux

Banned
Vengeance: The True Story of an Israeli Counter-Terrorist Team

vengeance-true-story-israeli-counter-terrorist-team-george-jonas-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Only 10 pages in, plan on finishing it by Friday.

Snowcrash.jpg

About a fifth of the way done. Started really strange, a style of writing I hadn't encounter before, but the story is really picking up. When I read the general description of the book at Amazon I really thought the book was going to be lame given how many years it has passed since it was written, but so far the technology described so far sounds plausible.
snow crash is a great book. easily one of the top cyberpunk tales ever written. it's going to take a long time before the tech stephenson describes sounds out-dated. he practically paints a future vision of google maps and wikipedia toward the later chapters.

currently reading:
False-Gods.jpg

and upon finishing it (i'm about 4-5 chapters from the end i think) i'll move onto:
75573-cover.jpg

after which i will probably take a break from WH40K and move onto either the millenium trilogy or 1Q84.

4163222196_3deb226465.jpg

About 1/3 of the way through, excellent so far. I think I like it better than The Stranger so far. Normal people in an off-balanced world is a bit more engaging than an off-balanced man in a normal world.

Also reading...

lolita_nabokov_lolita_lips_cover.jpg

About 40 pages left to finish it. I've been reading it for the past month and a half, very slowly, little by little. There's just too much to appreciate, I can't sit down and read 30 pages in one sitting.

Barmaley

Neo Member
Just started this. I expect to have it through in a day or two.

84943.jpg

Also apparently I'm suffering some kind of burnout on wh40k literature. This one is pretty good (actually, for a wh40k book its great) but enough speeehrs meehrines are enough, even when corrupted and evil. It's going rather slowly ;)

8755565.jpg

After many recommendations, many of which from this very forum, I decided that it's time for a change of scenery. Next up is probably this book

91017.jpg

Grakl

john-milton-paradise-lost.jpg

Paradise Lost. Never read it before, gonna tackle it this month.

67064.gif

Only read a bit; so far it's a great read.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Still workin on this bad boy.

oT1fo.jpg

The writing is beyond annoying but I still find the setting fascinating.

Monocle

Didn't realize the April thread was up. Repost from the March thread:

o1xxP.jpg

A Clash of Kings by George R. R. Martin

So I read A Game of Thrones recently. I'd bought the first season of the HBO series on the strength of GAF's recommendation and figured it would be best to finish the book before watching. It's definitely as great as people have claimed. I'm hooked now. My plan is to read the next four books by the time Season 2 is out on Blu-ray.

http://www.wonderlandla.net/store/images/lolita_nabokov_lolita_lips_cover.jpg

About 40 pages left to finish it. I've been reading it for the past month and a half, very slowly, little by little. There's just too much to appreciate, I can't sit down and read 30 pages in one sitting.
That's what I did with Moby Dick. Melville's prose is so rich and dense that I had to crawl through the book chapter by chapter over a number of months. It's a challenging but hugely rewarding read.

Canuck76

Banned
Guys make me a feel a little better. I was trying to read Ananthem by Neal Stephenson. Couldn't. Just got so bogged down in all of the descriptions and 150-200 pages in, nothing's happened i go to wiki and the first sentence (of the sequence of events) has not happened

I've given up and moved on to Clash of Kings. I had Ananthem for a while so i decided to pause my song of fire and ice reading but i just can't guys.

Tell me I'm justified please

I just wanted to repost tell me I'm somewhat justified. Are all Neal Stephenson's book's super slow/really descriptive?

Cfh123

On a whim I picked up "Alex" by Adam J. Nicolai. It is highly rated on Amazon and was only $2.99.

It's about a man whose infant son was murdered - a sort of ghost story / psychological thriller. Plus the protagonist works in tech support and plays MMO's.

It is a self-published first novel which you would think would mean stay clear of it. But it is very very good. Highly recommended.

uY1bs.jpg

OhbAE.jpg

I'm a few chapters in and I'm loving it so far. Just finished A Clash of Kings a few days ago and enjoyed that as well.

63o1D.jpg

I'm about halfway through this book. I started in January, but it dragged on in the middle, so I put it down for awhile until recently.

gabbo

MEQhi.jpg

Thought it was worth reading after finishing Pattern Recognition. Glad I did.
Any recommendations for more of Gibson's work or authors similar to him?

eattomorro

Neo Member
51ROX8OH9LL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Beginning was a little rough, but I'm half way through now and glad I stuck with it. Can't wait to finish this series!

Salazar

Very awesome. I've always wanted to gain some knowledge about the Roman Republic but it always seemed like a daunting task, what with not knowing where to start and what specifically to read. This book is crazy accessible for someone who knows next to nothing about that period in time.

Saw him yesterday, and started reading his new book (suggesting non-supernatural causes for and influences on the germination and nature of Islam).

Mumei

Excellent choice!

I finished reading Jussi (and it was a great read, and seems even more sad that he died when he did now from a professional standpoint)...

I'm starting the first volume of Prince Valiant tomorrow, which is a newspaper comic strip that began running in 1937 and has been telling a continuous story each Sunday since its inception (and is now continued by other artists). It's not particularly long (~120 pages) so if I don't like it I can just forget about reading any more.

Jintor

51ROX8OH9LL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Beginning was a little rough, but I'm half way through now and glad I stuck with it. Can't wait to finish this series!

I have always been curious about this series (I got a little burned on a similar series, Kushiel's Dart). Could you tell me more about it?

I was going to grab Pale Blue Dot but there's no Kindle Edition and I'm going overseas in a week so I don't really want to order it off Bookdepository right now. Maybe when I get back. In the meantime, stocking up on Kindle samples to see what I like.

TCRS

Banned
The_Thousandfold_Thought_UK.jpg

The Thousandfold Thought by Scott Bakker, the third book of the Prince of Nothing trilogy. It's so good.

One thing I realised recently is that the story won't finish with this third book. The Prince of Nothing is only one sub-series of the Second Apocalypse series; there are two more. The second sub-series is called Aspect-Emperor of which two books have already been released and the third one will be out soon. The third sub-series will either be a duology or another trilogy.

Finally in the final chapters of 11-22-63(What a ride)Needed to take a break from it. But, it did put in a mood to learn about the final days of the USSR, so I grabbed this book.
Moscow-December-25-1991-O-Clery-Conor-9781586487966.jpg

Top Bottom