• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (April 2012)

shamo42

WOOL Omnibus edition

bWUgr.jpg

I just started the 5th book. So far this is excellent SF.

Maybe check out the "Mistborn" trilogy, by Brandon Sanderson. The first book is called "Mistborn: The Final Empire".

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

If you like magic at all you will love this book. The book has tons of footnotes that are citing all sorts of historical magical texts, studies, and stories. I have read it a few times and it's dense enough to always find some new stuff in there.

It's set in the early 19th century. The premise is that magic once existed back when the world was more wild, but it has disappeared. There are tons of magicians around, but they are all theoretical ones, until a man reveals himself to be an actual practicing magician. Add in one naturally talented apprentice, some high society drama, the Napoleonic Wars only with magic, a terrible deal made with a fae, and a mythical magical king. The book really hits all sorts of stuff (granted it's a 1000 page monster)

It has a kinda slow first 50 pages or so, but I could not put it down afterwards.

Maybe Farseer Trilogy, and its sequels, by Robin Hobb and Memory, Sorrow and Thorn trilogy by Tad Williams

These are excellent suggestions. Thanks you guys.

Finished Pushing Ice. Phenomenal book. I can't recommend it enough. Definitely one of the best books I've ever read. If you like books that have a tinge of Dead Space or Mass Effect, or are just set in space, set in the future, explores the unknown, has alien encounters, etc than it is definitely worth checking out.

I'm now on to The God Delusion and I'm really blasting through it. Put down 100 pages on the first go which is actually surprising to me. I thought it was going to be very dry and boring or over my head but I'm finding it quite interesting.

The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins

finowns

anyone have a hard time coming back to fiction after reading a shitload of non-fiction? my brain is locked in study mode. all i can think about is math.

it's really troubling.

It not really hard for me to go from Non-fiction to fiction but going from fiction to non-fiction is a different story.

Qwomo

Haven't had much time to read lately, so I'm still on

Bnz4I.jpg

I'm going to buckle down in the next few days and speed through the remaining 1/3 of the book. Just got to the good part, too!

Flashman torturing and killing de Gautet completely unapologetically was great. Flash is my hero.
NiwRq.gif

Ceebs

Haven't had much time to read lately, so I'm still on

Bnz4I.jpg

I'm going to buckle down in the next few days and speed through the remaining 1/3 of the book. Just got to the good part, too!

Flashman torturing and killing de Gautet completely unapologetically was great. Flash is my hero.
NiwRq.gif

These books are so good.

I think my favorite was Flashman at the Charge.

Finished Pushing Ice. Phenomenal book. I can't recommend it enough. Definitely one of the best books I've ever read. If you like books that have a tinge of Dead Space or Mass Effect, or are just set in space, set in the future, explores the unknown, has alien encounters, etc than it is definitely worth checking out.

Is this the book your talking about?
89186.jpg

I read the synopsis and it doesn't sound all that intriguing but I love Dead Space and Mass Effect.

AcciDante

9780307593313.jpg

Over halfway through now. I definitely like it a lot, but I don't know how interested I would be if I didn't enjoy Murakami's writing. I probably wouldn't finish it if it wasn't for that. At the point I'm at now, I don't really have any idea where it's headed, and not in a good way.

Man, I couldn't finish it. I was planning to read through the last half of it this weekend, but that last half was just a complete standstill. I got like 300 pages into the last half and lost interest in every piece of it. I guess that is how I will get off the Murakami kick I've been on these last few months.

I can't decide if I want to start The Name of the Wind or The Blade Itself next. Someone pick for me!

Ceebs

Man, I couldn't finish it. I was planning to read through the last half of it this weekend, but that last half was just a complete standstill. I got like 300 pages into the last half and lost interest in every piece of it. I guess that is how I will get off the Murakami kick I've been on these last few months.

I can't decide if I want to start The Name of the Wind or The Blade Itself next. Someone pick for me!

Go with The Name of Wind. The ending of the second book of the The First Law series turned me off of that series.

Curtisaur

Forum Landmine
I purchased this yesterday when I got paid:

41FmQKfh2cL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Gonna start reading it in just a few minutes.

A friend purchased this for me last night, and I read it last night:

10600308-large.jpg

Setre

TZv0o.jpg

I’m almost finished with this and it’s been fascinating learning about Alexander. It’s baffling to me just how far Alexander and his army traveled by foot/horses.

I'm not sure what I should start reading next. It's a toss up between the first book in the Dresden Files or A Game of Thrones. I just finished watch the TV series of AGoT and after reading Alexander I want something I can breeze through, so I'm leaning towards the Dresden Files.

Koroviev

9780307593313.jpg

Over halfway through now. I definitely like it a lot, but I don't know how interested I would be if I didn't enjoy Murakami's writing. I probably wouldn't finish it if it wasn't for that. At the point I'm at now, I don't really have any idea where it's headed, and not in a good way.

Murakami is one of my favorite authors, but I bought this book when it came out and it's still sitting on my night stand, unfinished.
Tengo
is a blatant Gary Stu and it's frustrating. I mean, I know Murakami is kind of infamous for the self-insert author thing, but that guy is the most special "snowflake" for some reason. At least his other protagonists were relatable on some level.

Edit: Haven't been reading much lately. Last thing I read was PKD's "A Scanner Darkly." Thinking of rereading "Crime and Punishment." Also considering Ibuse's "Black Rain," but I know it's going to be depressing. Amazon really needs to expand its library of Japanese authors. It's pretty much Murakami and not much else. The absence of anything by Mishima is especially saddening.

Ceebs

1Q84 was the first Murakami I had read and could not put it down. I finished it off over the course of a weekend. If any part of the book dragged it was town of cats section.

I want to read more of his stuff, but have not found myself in the proper mood. If the rest of his books have the same dreamy style (which I gather they do) it seems like winter reading more than anything to me. Reading it while it's warm outside just feels wrong.

Finished Mockingjay, or rather I should say I gave up mid-way and my gf told me the rest. Good I didn't read the other 250 pages. Too much YA drama in this, hopefully it looks like the movie is trimming all that and focusing on pure action.

ATF487

I have a new job where I can read, so in the past few weeks I've done:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
Juliet, Naked by Nick Hornby
The Health of Nations: Why Inequality is Harmful to Your Health by Ichiro Kawachi and Bruce P. Kennedy
Hard Times by Charles Dickens
The Road by Cormac McCarthy

and now I'm reading Shakey, the Neil Young Biography.

Koroviev

1Q84 was the first Murakami I had read and could not put it down. I finished it off over the course of a weekend. If any part of the book dragged it was town of cats section.

I want to read more of his stuff, but have not found myself in the proper mood. If the rest of his books have the same dreamy style (which I gather they do) it seems like winter reading more than anything to me. Reading it while it's warm outside just feels wrong.

"The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle," the novel which garnered him literary fame in the west, takes place during summer and is arguably one of his best, if not the best. It's an excellent novel and I think it would make for good reading anytime.

Fjordson

Cool to see people reading the Wool omnibus. Fantastic collection of stories. Currently on the fourth one myself.

I like The First Law trilogy a lot more, but that's just me.

eattomorro

Neo Member
51EjUet9SjL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

First trilogy I've read back to back and I've quite enjoyed it. Can't wait to read something completely different now tho. Probably this one:

51Uj2oLN0bL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-64,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

AnkitT

Finished this:
5B3MU.jpg

The time machine - H.G. Wells

The beginning where the time traveler explained the dimensionality of time was quite enchanting, but as we got to the future, it got progressively less and less interesting to me. Caveat is though, that I have watched two motion picture adaptations of the work, so there might be a certain fatigue attached to that. I enjoyed it overall though, and can certainly see where all the praise of it being a classic comes from.

Reading/listening to these:
4vmg6.jpg

Man in the high castle - Phillip K Dick

Read through the first few pages and it seems quite interesting so far. People describe it as the go to book for alternate history scenarios so it has my interest piqued.

n3nSx.jpg

Lolita - Vladimir Nabakov (as read by Jeremy Irons)

Gone through two chapters and it seems quite good so far. The descriptive openings to every scene are simultaneously tedious and beautiful. So far I am loving the description of the narrator's thought process, and it is building up quite nicely.

I started with a bit of David Foster Wallace last month, but have put that on the backburner for the time being.

Reading/listening to these:
4vmg6.jpg

Man in the high castle - Phillip K Dick

Read through the first few pages and it seems quite interesting so far. People describe it as the go to book for alternate history scenarios so it has my interest piqued.

I'm a little over halfway through this right now as well and, while it's pretty interesting from a conceptual standpoint, I'm not finding it all that compelling so far.

lettermassing

Neo Member
I'm about halfway through The Castle by Franz Kafka right now. Was previously going between VALIS by Philip K Dick and Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett. I ordered Be Here Now by Ram Dass, it looks incredible,

tumblr_m1nnzpDnQA1r2arvso1_500.gif

Some cool books posted on this page, A Confederacy of Dunces is great and so is My Friend Dahmer. 1Q84 was a bit lacklustre.

That's the one. Give it a try. I won't 100% guarantee that you'll like but I'll 99% guarantee you will. :b

Now those are good odds. Ill pick it up. Thanks man.

Finished Mockingjay, or rather I should say I gave up mid-way and my gf told me the rest. Good I didn't read the other 250 pages. Too much YA drama in this, hopefully it looks like the movie is trimming all that and focusing on pure action.

MockingJay was so bad it was actually able to retroactively make me not like the series as a whole.

Protome

I'm still slugging my way through Warbreaker like I was at the start of the last thread.
University work has been getting in the way of reading :( In a couple of weeks that'll no longer be a problem however!

I started building up my backlog for when I'm finished Warbreaker with The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi and Blood of Elves by Andrzej Sapkowski.
I've been reluctant on buying the latter despite absolutely loving The Last Wish because I know that Blood of Elves is part of a bigger story and is the only one to have been translated. But I caved and bought it anyway.

I was also going to buy The Scar by Sergey Dyachenko, but there's no Kindle version yet and I'm not confident enough that I'll enjoy it to buy the hardback version.

Also, what would you guys recommend someone who really loved the Mistborn books should read?

PersonaX

Fantastic book right there. I take it you read Inferno first though?

Yep, i was really excited when i learned that there was a sequel to it, i read through Inferno in a couple of sittings, such an entertaining read, both of these.

hell is such an interesting place...

Donthizz#

The Lies of Locke Lamora! Thought it a was stand alone book then realised its part one a of a seven book series, Damn it..

MockingJay was so bad it was actually able to retroactively make me not like the series as a whole.

I decided to sit down and finish it. Terrible book, the worst in the whole trilogy. It really seems the author did not have ideas beside the concept of Hunger Games, and just went along to write it in more publisher-friendly format. Plus, I hate she cannot keep attention on things for more than 3-5 lines.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I decided to sit down and finish it. Terrible book, the worst in the whole trilogy. It really seems the author did not have ideas beside the concept of Hunger Games, and just went along to write it in more publisher-friendly format. Plus, I hate she cannot keep attention on things for more than 3-5 lines.

It's because she ran out of Battle Royale books to copypasta.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Finished this:

mIQIG.jpg

And just started this:

imyKU.jpg

Both lent to me by my dad. I liked The Fear Index. I'd give it 3.5/5. A mathemtician/physcist who worked for CERN starts a successful hedge fund company in Geneva using a program/algorithm he created that's basically a self-learning AI, and strange things start happening. Fairly well written and the book keeps a fast pace, but towards the end I was wishing it focused more on the algorithm itself and the crazy things it was doing and less on the main character pursuing bad guys through dark alleys and into seedy hotels. It kinda felt like it was written to be easily adapted into a screenplay, and lo and behold imdb says there's a movie due out in 2014. I'll probably see it if the reviews aren't too bad. It's a fun read, and an interesting take on the
artificial intelligence run amok
theme, with relevant financial market twist! I enjoyed it and was able to follow it even though I have almost no understanding of how the financial market works and the jargon involved (the paragraph in the book explaining what a hedge fund is was actually educational to me for example).

UraMallas

Looking for a fantasy series. Read LotR, ASoIaF, Dark Tower, Kingslayer Chronicles and just finished Hunger Games. I didn't much enjoy Wheel of Time or The Malazan series. What should I read? I may actually pick up a classic but nothing so old that it's hard to read. What say you?

Cool to see people reading the Wool omnibus. Fantastic collection of stories. Currently on the fourth one myself.

I like The First Law trilogy a lot more, but that's just me.

Quoted for truth
Name of the wind is the first book in the most overrated fantasy series of all time. It's no different in any way than a million other books/series in the genre, does nothing new and the main character is total fanwank. I can't comprehend why people like it so much, it's not terrible but you can call everything a mile away.

First Law trilogy is awesome, very dark and violent, none of the characters are really likeable but in a good way, and Abercrombie doesn't flinch away from knocking people off or putting characters through shit.

Donthizz#

Looking for a fantasy series. Read LotR, ASoIaF, Dark Tower, Kingslayer Chronicles and just finished Hunger Games. I didn't much enjoy Wheel of Time or The Malazan series. What should I read? I may actually pick up a classic but nothing so old that it's hard to read. What say you?

Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson, You can thank me later..

I just bought these two. Don't know what I'm in for. Getting into reading might be better with all the flights I take at the end of each month or two.

93618-pic_1.jpg

Cloud Atlas: Saw it in WHSmith, remembered that it was being made into a film by the Wachowskis.

8621462.jpg

A Monster Calls: This I only got because had good reviews on Amazon, and looks like a short read with lots of illustrations. I don't know, I just liked the dark shadowy cover :p

Top Bottom