• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extra Credits

guru7892

Neo Member
Portnow is hit or miss in my opinion.

His understanding of psychology is pretty lackluster in my opinion and some of the stuff he says is down-right dangerous. At times he applies pop-psychology in a way that has some serious ramifications.

using pop psychology is like playing around with your brothers chemistry set to see if you can make something explode. Except you are playing with someones brain and could possibly send them messages (or reinforce messages) that are harmful to people.

oh and if I hear Portnow say "life experience" one more time I'm gonna kill someone on impulse (he's in like half the game design panels at PAX).

etiolate

Banned
lazybones18 said:

Extra Credits continually take my posts on gaming and turns them into a warm multimedia tapioca for the sick masses.

And I'm not hating.

But I would have extended their "a silent character is not a blank slate" argument a bit.

One of the most interesting narrative factors to game storytelling is the hero's lack of autonomous freedom. The player is half of the hero. The player is a limited God, leading people to their fates, but unable to rescue them through his or her own invention, but only by the available rules of the game world, of which the player has limited to no control.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Jackson said:
I think James Portnow should actually make some games before talking about making games.
As someone who's worked on numerous game projects in the past myself, none of what he's mentioned seems at all unfeasible or otherwise something that should be casually dismissed, at least when it comes to the game design-specific stuff. Market and production realities do have a tendency to make the idealistic views he likes to espouse harder to implement in practice of course, which is where I'm assuming you're coming from. Designers in general don't really seem to worry about the big picture as much in terms of the pipeline/process/business aspects when it comes to making games as a whole. (And yes, I realize that's a gross over-generalization, but it's just what I've observed personally through several different dev teams).

Plus I can see how the general tone of their pieces can come across as a bit over-authoritative in a "this is how to make things better why aren't you already doing it like this" sort of way.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I do find the way he includes himself when talking about designers kind of strange. Maybe he's using it in the "royal we" sense.

Well, the latest episode kinda pinpointed my issue with the entire graphics issue this generation that I was unable to articulate, though maybe it's only more common on the fanside that people get things mixed up. I would hope the developers would know better.

Also, the opening music sounds awfully familiar.

firehawk12 said:
I do find the way he includes himself when talking about designers kind of strange. Maybe he's using it in the "royal we" sense.

That always kinda bugged me.

firehawk12 said:
The opening theme is from a game, but I can't remember where now. :lol

Super Mario 64, bob-omb battlefield.

dragonlife29 said:
I really liked the sexual diversity/Persona 4 episode.

This was probably my favorite episode, this and Learning from Other M.

HK-47 said:
I cant believe he said Fallout 3 had great writing...

I'm shocked...he was doing so well

He also claimed Kratos felt bad about killing people at the end of the first GOW.

And he constantly compliments ME2.

Lime

They should really fix/remove his voice. Hell, a computer-generated voice à la Stephen Hawking would be far more accessible than the current one. It grates my ears and I feel like I'm listening to some mouth-breathing basement dweller talking about the rule differences between editions of Dungeons & Dragons.

Fimbulvetr said:
He also claimed Kratos felt bad about killing people at the end of the first GOW.

How is that questionable? I mean, it's pretty much the point of the story that Kratos is able to question his own (previous) actions.
Even when he did not feel bad about it before, there is the explicit ".. what have I become?" cutscene and the ending itself, to put the idea forward that Kratos has changed to some degree.
"feeling bad about it" in a general sense is overstretching though.

The extra credit dude always draws the wrong conclusions or mentions terrible examples that completely work against the points he's making.
Also didn't he mention how he likes modern warfare over doom 2?
Also fallout 3 and good aesthetics?
Shut the fuck up!

kai3345 said:
He's right to an extent. He's attracted to Naoto, but that's because of her masculine qualities.

Confused about Naoto because of her Masculine qualities is a better term. His attraction to Naoto originated when he assumed Naoto was male. Besides, word of god confirms hes gay. This debate is stupid and insidiously homophobic.

Zeitgeister said:
"feeling bad about it" in a general sense is overstretching though.

That's what I was referring to.

The only people he's ever felt bad about murdering were his own family.

He generally didn't have problems killing people before Ares tricked him and he certainly didn't after that or even after defeating Ares. And he definitely didn't at all feel bad about killing Ares like EC claimed.

He acknowledges that he's become a monster(though not the fact that he sort of started off as one), yes, but that doesn't mean he feels guilty for all of the things he's done, at least the game never gives any indication he does.

There was definitely guilt and regret, but only for a single set of events.

Gomu Gomu

Ahoi-Brause said:
The extra credit dude always draws the wrong conclusions or mentions terrible examples that completely work against the points he's making.
Also didn't he mention how he likes modern warfare over doom 2?
Also fallout 3 and good aesthetics?
Shut the fuck up!
Fucking opinions, how do they work?

.JayZii

Banned
Ahoi-Brause said:
Well Fallout 3 is hardly a game with good aesthetics if you even need mods to fix the standard idle position.
Maybe they were referring to the menus and interface with the Pip-boy and such. Or maybe he likes the destroyed 50's-esque "yesterday's tomorrow" look.

Complaining about things like the idle animation is focusing on graphics/tech over aesthetics without seeing the distinction between them. Which was the point of the video to begin with. I don't personally like the look of Fallout, but I understand where people who like it are coming from.

Roto13

.JayZii said:
Complaining about things like the idle animation is focusing on graphics/tech over aesthetics without seeing the distinction between them.
How exactly do you figure that?

.JayZii

Banned
Roto13 said:
How exactly do you figure that?
I generally see a game/movie/painting/etc's "aesthetic" as a holistic term. So, for me, the Fallout aesthetic comes from the menus, pip-boy, character design, architecture/world design more than texture rendering or specific idle position.

And let me reiterate, I don't really like the Fallout aesthetic myself.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mortrialus said:
Confused about Naoto because of her Masculine qualities is a better term. His attraction to Naoto originated when he assumed Naoto was male. Besides, word of god confirms hes gay. This debate is stupid and insidiously homophobic.
Did they confirm he was gay? Because they went out of their way to avoid talking about that in the interviews I read when the game came out in the US (and in the strategy guide). All I remember is that they decided to twist the two anime tropes around - the young punk and the young detective.

Besides, as I've mentioned elsewhere, Naoto is the more interesting queer character in Persona 4 anyway!

firehawk12 said:
Did they confirm he was gay? Because they went out of their way to avoid talking about that in the interviews I read when the game came out in the US (and in the strategy guide). All I remember is that they decided to twist the two anime tropes around - the young punk and the young detective.

They came out saying it was left purposely ambiguous.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fimbulvetr said:
They came out saying it was left purposely ambiguous.
Yeah. I remember being really frustrated by the lack of a response. Also, they wouldn't talk about Naoto at all, even though Fitch tried to talk to them about her.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
XiaNaphryz said:
Was that the original intent, or was it due to the localization team?
The original intent, specifically, was that they wanted to subvert the gangster/yankee trope by having a guy who liked to sew. Anything else seemed to be implied.

Orayn

This one seems more overthought than usual. As always, there are good points, but it's getting a little pretentious.

Jags

Neo Member
This is totally like that whiteboard thing that Scott Sharkey did. He even sounds like a chipmunk version of him.

Roto13

I like this one. They make some good points. Especially about the fact that we can't have all of the features and services we want without letting certain companies store certain data. People complain about the fact that you have to manually type in your credit card information every time you want to buy Wii Points without a points card. :p

Seda

JackFrost said:
clicked the video just outta boredom and expected crap.Here I am 6 videos later still interested.......really good stuff.

I recognize your avatar (not the dino part) but for the life of me I can't remember where, what's it from?

OT: More good videos than bad, I like the series.

Jerk

Banned
HK-47 said:
I cant believe he said Fallout 3 had great writing...

I'm shocked...he was doing so well

Yeah, sort of sad.

His continued praise of ME2 and bashing of NV does not help either.

Roto13

Whoah, shit is going down on Twitter. You'll have to read it backwards because I'm not rearranging all of this. :p

ExtraCreditz ExtraCreditTeam
I just hope everyone else on the escapist is getting better treatment than we did...
2 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Of course this means that the rockethub rewards will have to change (no Escapist Club memberships) but we promise we'll find something
2 minutes ago

And that's really the worst part. All of this takes away from actual good things we could be doing...
3 minutes ago

(But for legal reasons I haven't been able to talk about the show or the rockethub or anything for a while
3 minutes ago

I'll be on on Thursday to post a link
3 minutes ago

We're looking for other outlets at the moment, but we promise we'll keep doing the show on Youtube until we find one
4 minutes ago

But the money never materialized and so we gave them notice two weeks ago and terminated our contract last Friday
4 minutes ago

and wanted to make sure we got paid before we started to talk IP (which would have basically ensured that we didn't get our IP back)
4 minutes ago

The short of it is we told them we wanted to discuss our IP and they gave us a long run around saying they magically found money
5 minutes ago

After that there was a lot of ugliness that I won't go into
6 minutes ago

Yeah. This was probably one of the most disappointing moments for me in quite some time. I thought we were all playing for the same team.
8 minutes ago

And that, despite having paid us once over a year, we actually owed them $9500
10 minutes ago

But they shot back informing us that they felt like they were entitled to 75% of the Rockethub money
11 minutes ago

We actually thought we were operating in good faith and getting the IP back so we could do things like make Tshirts would be easy
11 minutes ago

Because the contract they had us sign made us give up all the right to the show
12 minutes ago

When, after a lot of wrangling they sent us $1000, we asked them if we could trade them some of what they owed us for our IP back
12 minutes ago

Unfortunately, I had to ask the Escapist to send me some of our money then to help Allison (this was before I put up the Rockethub)
13 minutes ago

And that week really was one of the best of my life. Better than releasing games or speaking at GDC.
14 minutes ago

That meant when Allison hurt her arm I was out over $20,000...which is why we had to turn to all of you
15 minutes ago

- not much, but enough to cover Allison’s wages - unfortunately they were never able to.
16 minutes ago

Dan and I work on it for free and I pay Allison’s salary out of pocket each month, then, in turn, The Escapist was supposed to pay us
16 minutes ago

Last thursday was our final episode on the escapist
17 minutes ago

TeamCoco Team Coco
Tonight, @ConanOBrien welcomes James Franco from "Rise of the Planet of the Apes", comedian Nick Swardson and a secret celebrity guest. Shhh
18 minutes ago

I'm also sorry that I haven't been more communicative of late, I haven't been able to talk until just now
19 minutes ago

Hi everyone...I've got a lot to say tonight, so I apologize in advance for the spam. -JP
19 minutes ago

Basically, The Escapist hasn't been paying the Extra Credits team, the Extra Credits team has quit and wants their IP back, and now The Escapist feels that they are somehow entitled to 75% of the money they fundraised for Allison's medical bills.

So yeah, The Escapist is apparently totally evil.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Roto13 said:
Whoah, shit is going down on Twitter. You'll have to read it backwards because I'm not rearranging all of this. :p

Basically, The Escapist hasn't been paying the Extra Credits team, the Extra Credits team has quit and wants their IP back, and now The Escapist feels that they are somehow entitled to 75% of the money they fundraised for Allison's medical bills.

So yeah, The Escapist is apparently totally evil.
WTF. Maybe this is part of the reason for some of the topics they've been covering recently?

I wonder if any other game news coverage sites will cover this. Other than Kotaku anyway.

Top Bottom