• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extra Credits

Roto13

They're still going to keep doing the show without The Escapist. The next episode will be posted on YouTube and they're going to keep posting it there until they find a new host.

Toppot

I for one will be boycotting The Escapist for their terrible treatment of Extra Credits. Trying to claim donations of what was basically a charity collection, not playing salaries, claiming ip even though they haven't fulfilled their part of the contract.

I'll miss Zero Punctuation, though I may watch uploads on YouTube, so long as no advertising money goes to them.

My god, their side of this REALLY makes The Escapist look like absolute scum.

At any rate, I'm glad they're still going. They MUST at least go on long enough to do an episode on Catherine.

Salsa

Toppot said:
Trying to claim donations of what was basically a charity collection

this is the big one here, i mean what the fuck.

They put up a site to raise funds fro the artist's operation and the escapist says they own 75% of that money? wow, fuck them in the ass.

Roto13

Purkake4 said:
Twitter seems like a poor choice of medium for this. Too bad about the troubles, though.
Well, they want to talk to the community, and they certainly can't do it on The Escapist, so that leaves Twitter and Facebook. (They're using both.)

Levyne

Banned
Wow, really like the show. Who would you think would pick them up? Who would you guys want to pick them up? I'm not sure.

Purkake4

Banned
Roto13 said:
Well, they want to talk to the community, and they certainly can't do it on The Escapist, so that leaves Twitter and Facebook. (They're using both.)
You write a nice long blog post on your personal blog and link in on Twitter/Facebook/Reddit/Etc.

I hope they get every single on of their demands, but if they can't retain the "Extra Credits IP" it would be a good a time as any to mix things up a little bit and move away from the third-person diction and pitch-shifted voice gimmick.

Obviously their viewership would take a hit with a different name and superficial shtick, but their content is cerebral enough that their fans would find them and appreciate a better method of delivering their arguments.

Toppot

Khold said:
Wow, really like the show. Who would you think would pick them up? Who would you guys want to pick them up? I'm not sure.

Maybe GameTrailers would pick them up? Seems like the most likely one I can think of.

Kayo-kun

I love Extra Credit and I hope they find the best way out of these issues. It really dislike the way The Escapist treated them and I'll definately never visit that site again.

cory021

Neo Member
Wow, I just watched two of their videos, and I've gotta say, this is really good. It's very interesting and fun to watch. Plus he brings up some excellent points. I'm going to try and think like he does next time I have to write some sort of paper.

Roto13 said:
Basically, The Escapist hasn't been paying the Extra Credits team, the Extra Credits team has quit and wants their IP back, and now The Escapist feels that they are somehow entitled to 75% of the money they fundraised for Allison's medical bills.

So yeah, The Escapist is apparently totally evil.
WTF! I mean, really!? Wasn't the not-paying part low enough The Escapist?

And to think I was pretty annoyed when they said Allison's medical insurance wouldn't cover the surgery using the ol' "pre-existing" bs excuse, and now this. Some people really have no ethics when it comes to money.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Not paying the crew is terrible, but trying to claim money from a charity drive? That's just downright evil.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Toppot said:
Maybe GameTrailers would pick them up? Seems like the most likely one I can think of.

My first intuition is that the show is both too high-brow and aesthetically lacking to be a good fit at Gametrailers.

bernardobri

Steve, the dog with no powers that we let hang out with us all for some reason
meltingparappa said:
I hope they get every single on of their demands, but if they can't retain the "Extra Credits IP" it would be a good a time as any to mix things up a little bit and move away from the third-person diction and pitch-shifted voice gimmick.

I love EC and everything, but this (along with the way-too-fast narration) sometimes get me on my nerves.

vall03

I didn't realize they were treated that way especially the 75% of the donations. Hope they can still continue. First alternatives that came to mind would be YouTube or GameTrailers

KevinCow

Banned
Damn. That sucks. I just found these guys a couple months ago, and while I don't totally agree with them all the time, they always have something interesting to say. Hopefully they figure something out.

Youta Mottenai said:
WTF! I mean, really!? Wasn't the not-paying part low enough The Escapist?

And to think I was pretty annoyed when they said Allison's medical insurance wouldn't cover the surgery using the ol' "pre-existing" bs excuse, and now this. Some people really have no ethics when it comes to money.

Who cares about ethics when I can get more money.

Oh wow, I love this show and also...

rkhoo said:
Yo @ExtraCreditz you know my info. :)

Robert Khoo of Penny Arcade tweeted this not too long ago. They have that whole PATV thing that's been going on for a while with a few different shows. Possibly PA?

Salsa

Penguin nerd said:
Robert Khoo of Penny Arcade tweeted this not too long ago. They have that whole PATV thing that's been going on for a while with a few different shows. Possibly PA?

ohhhh yess. PATV is the way to go.

Zafir

There's a reply up from the Escapist

http://www.facebook.com/notes/alexander-macris/a-response-on-extra-credits/10150287107583910

Hey guys. This is Alexander Macris. I'm the publisher. Jame's statements are very one-sided so I think they deserve a response.
Yes, we are having a very unfortunate dispute with James over Extra Credits, and yes, he's planning to leave The Escapist, despite our repeated requests that he stay. It's also true that we fell behind in paying James.

Here are the key facts as I see them:

1. From November 2010 to June 2011, James told us not to worry about paying him and to focus on paying other people. His exact words were "I really don't want to squeeze you guys if you're in a crunch, so you can put us to the bottom of the list for right now..." Given that we have been in a crunch due to the recession, we took him at his word, thanked him profusely for the flexibility, and focused on paying down other debt. (Several other shows were cancelled around November 2010 you'll recall, as we couldn't pay them, but James' flexibility allowed us to keep working with him to promote Extra Credits.)

2. This continued until June 2011, when James emailed us to alert us that he needed funds urgently. The request was partly for family matters and partly for Allison's surgery. He asked for our permission to raise funds through Kickstarter. We more than gave permission, we threw our weight into supporting it. Unfortunately, Kickstarter refused because they don't do charity. I then suggested James try RocketHub and RocketHub agreed. We again collaborated to make it a joint effort. Our agreement was that we would be compensated for the wholesale cost of the t-shirts and Publisher's Club, and that the funds would be used to save Extra Credits. I reasonably interpreted "save Extra Credits" to mean that anything beyond what was needed for Allison's surgery would be used on Extra Credits production. I also Pay-palled James as much money as we had available at that time.

3. After the RocketHub was enormously successful and James had decided to use the funds to create an indie publishing label rather than to "save Extra Credits", James decided he would no longer speak to us directly and instead assigned a "business development manager" to speak to us. James' new business development manager demanded that we assign all the IP of Extra Credits to James.

4. We indicated we would be happy to work out an IP transfer but that before we did that, we would like to make sure we got paid for the wholesale cost of the t-shirts and the Publisher's Club memberships, and that we would like to see the Extra Credits RocketHub money used to create more Extra Credits. We did NOT ask that James send us $9,500 - we said he should use $9,500 to create more episodes of the show that the money was supposed to be used to save.

5. James' business development manager at that time emailed me and told us that his position was now that we had no rights to the show, no deal, and that our entire contract was invalid. This was out of the blue as far as we were concerned. We had no understanding at this time of James' intent to use the "Save Extra Credits" money to start a publishing business.

6. At this point, Russ Pitts, our editor in chief, flew out to meet with James and his business development manager personally. They agreed that we would continue to work together; that we would transfer the IP to James in exchange for some fee to be negotiated; and that James would handle the EC t-shirts directly rather than through us. We agreed to swallow the cost of the Publisher's Club memberships, a few thousand dollars.

7. I then emailed James and his business development manager to explain that I wanted to get them paid as quickly as possible so that the back debt was not a sticking point in negotiations. I then emailed them again to say that I had talked to our Board and investors and that payment would come in about a week.

8. At this point, James had his lawyer send us an email stating that we were in breach and that unless we sent money more quickly than I had just stated we'd be able to send it, that James was terminating his relationship with us. I presume that James thought we were playing games with him, although we were not.

9. We went ahead and mailed James the money we got from our investors the next week as we had promised. James' lawyer nevertheless sent us an email indicating they intended to terminate our agreement.

10. Finally, I should add that as of last week, we had paid James over $14,000 of the $20,000 we owed him, and that as of today, our company has mailed James all payments he is owed.
I have all of this documented extensively in email. James is simply in error if he believes we have ever lied to him or any of his staff. We are prepared to defend ourselves against future defamation in a court of law.

Cordial regards,
Alexander Macris

Eitherway I really hope extra credits gets things worked out.

Mr Jared

I wish nothing but the best for the Extra Creditz crew. When I was the News Editor of the Escapist (2008) I didn't get paid for 3-4 months. In fact, by the time I finally received my first pay check I was already in my next job (I wasn't about to work for free) and had already been paid by my new employers, on time at that. Even then, I still had to use my lunch breaks for the first few weeks of my new job to call them up like some sort of pimp. Where's my money? Where's my money?

The messed up part was there were people on staff who went unpaid even longer than I had. They just didn't stick up for themselves.

So yeah, they're not exactly the most reputable organization on the planet.

Zafir

Another person on twitter also mentioned they hadn't been paid for articles they'd posted on the escapist. :/

In the comments section of that Facebook note they talk about getting together to compile the different emails sent back and forth between each other and publishing them to get the full story out.

Does this change James's appearance at the Escapist panel at PAX? Because if it leaves him out then I can re-arrange my schedule for that hour-ish of time.

Roto13

Buncha people saying they've had trouble getting The Escapist for pay them. I think it's safe to say that they suck at paying people.

Alexander Macris said:
I reasonably interpreted "save Extra Credits" to mean that anything beyond what was needed for Allison's surgery would be used on Extra Credits production.
NOPE.

Even if the specific wording became non-personal, there is clearly no room for interpretation in the reason people donated to that fund.

It's good that people were more generous than expected, but in no way anyone would REASONABLY assume that the publisher should automatically control these funds.

Xadhoom said:
People on Twitter are coming out and saying that they have also had problems getting payed. Lisa Foiles also stopped making her Top 5 series a couple months ago too, saying that things were "complicated", I wonder if there's some relation? Seems like The Escapist is in trouble financially.

Woah, that almost makes me feel bad for being a paying member. I mean, it's all about supporting some quality/entertaining content for me and I could care less about the Publisher Club extras. Seeing that really hurts.

One might even go as far as question if something similar was also a factor in the creation of Checkpoint on PATV (hold on to your tinfoil hats), although it sounded quite genuine from the LRR crew that they were simply not satisfied with the overall format.

Then again, I wouldn't mind seeing some of the troubled shows to end up on PATV. I could even live with it, if the PA guys come up with a similar subscription model for HD content. As long as it funds the content, i'm good.

plufim said:
PA TV would be a perfect fit for them.

I wonder if the Loading ready Run guys are being properly paid :/

From what I understand, they get at least enough to sustain some of the crew. Then again, the case there seems to be very different as they still appear to hold all IP rights (at least for the main series) and be able to get some money in via merchandise.
I wouldn't be surprised at all to see their other shows to end up on PATV, though.

Penguin nerd said:
Oh wow, I love this show and also...

Good to hear this.

plufim

Bah, LRR are great guys, I hate to think they're being dicked too.

I wonder if they're behind on paying Yahtzee at all? Because he could fuck off and do his own thing if he wanted, and they'd be FUCKED.

The Extra Creditz twitter account is answering questions from people figured you all might want to check out what they're saying:

what's the likelihood of you guys amicably leaving the escapist? it seems like they're going to want to drag this out

It's been dragging on for a year, this is just the first time we've been able to talk about it. We've tried to resolve it through talks Finally we had to send them a breach of contract notice, which gave them time to "repair the breach". That didn't happen and so we've left.
Unfortunately every time we asked to negotiate we were asked to do other tasks first or simply met with silence on the subject. I don't want it to be a drawn out either though. I hope this is it tonight.

Is it 100% guaranteed that you guys won't be working with the Escapist anymore, or could things turn around?

Contract was terminated Friday. Unfortunately that is pretty final.

Is there any chance of remuneration from Escapist? Can the Extra Credits team continue through this loss? Lots of support here

Luckily it's not the primary source of income for any of us but Allison (who I pay) so the show will survive. I just feel bad for any of the people who rely on money from the Escapist as their sole source of income.

a YEAR!?! That's like the entire time you've been on there. :/

We were paid for our first four episodes without the traffic bonus...

How easily do you guys think you'll be able to find a better outlet?

That's a good question. It's new territory for me. We never anticipated leaving the escapist so we don't have much of a backup plan.

What do you think will happen to the Escapist (and more importantly those that provide their content) in the future?

If I had to take a guess, I'd say they'd have to start treating their content people they'd want to be treated. Otherwise it falls apart.

Do you retain the rights to your videos made during the Escapist hosting? That is, can you make them available elsewhere?

That's up in the air at the moment..

Left out a couple questions that didn't really add anything. (Questions still being answered so I can just update this post.)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
They went AFK because of a phone call about 15 minutes ago, I wonder if we can expect a twist in this very unpleasant situation.
Damn I feel bad for them, loved their show.

Riposte

The Escapist is truly one of the worst videogame sites on the net. They exist solely because of Yahtzee as far as I can understand. Though I am no fan of Insert Credits and wouldn't get in a contract to pay that dude.

Salsa

Keiician said:
Damn I feel bad for them, loved their show.

i dont feel bad for them at this moment, i feel bad for what they've been through. As of now they raised $98,628 in rockethub, and by my understanding the escapist isnt gonna recieve any of that money.

Now they'll just get hired on PATV and everything will be fine and dandy. That's my guess anyway.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
SalsaShark said:
i dont feel bad for them at this moment, i feel bad for what they've been through. As of now they raised $98,628 in rockethub, and by my understanding the escapist isnt gonna recieve any of that money.

Now they'll just get hired on PATV and everything will be fine and dandy. That's my guess anyway.
Well, I guess since it's not their real source of income it's not that bad for them aside from feeling... cheated?
Hope they will find some other place to stay.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I wish everyone would go to YouTube, including ZP and AVGN. Escapist and GT's Flash players suck balls.

YouTube has a pretty good advertising framework, if Extra Credits takes advantage of it I don't see why being on YouTube wouldn't be more profitable for them.

OMG Aero

plufim said:
I wonder if they're behind on paying Yahtzee at all? Because he could fuck off and do his own thing if he wanted, and they'd be FUCKED.
Yahtzee is carrying the Escapist. If anyone there is getting properly paid it'll be him.

McNum

Extra Credits is one of my favorite online shows, it's downright sad to see them in this situation. I'll follow them where they go. All else I use on the Escapst is Zero Puntuation and Unskippable. I hope they aren't in the same trouble as Extra Credits.

Come to think of it, I don't really know what the Escapist's shtick is. Apart from "the site with Zero Punctuation". What are they supposed to be?

Top Bottom