• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wet Shaving |OT| The Cutting Edge of Grooming

Broseybrose

Perhaps I'm just destined to stick to shaving with the grain forever ):
Sometimes it is that way. I am one of those people who can only shave against the grain every four or so days, otherwise i TEAR UP my sensitive face! I need that buffer period to get a good ATG shave. If I was in a situation where I had to shave every day, Id probably never be able to go against the grain.

ChanHuk

Banned
I do 2-3 passes. Never against the grain. 1 with, 1 across, and if I feel like it another with the grain.

The Art of Shaving products are a little too pricey for me, especially knowing that they're a mall boutique brand.

JAD0109

Neo Member
Just finished my first shave with a DE razor. Undoubtedly the best shave of my life. I've had horrendous irritation with the Gillete Fusion razors, but my new Merkur didn't hurt a bit (even when I took a few brave ATG swipes on my neck).

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread! Without it, I never would have known about this.

Giard

Just finished my first shave with a DE razor. Undoubtedly the best shave of my life. I've had horrendous irritation with the Gillete Fusion razors, but my new Merkur didn't hurt a bit (even when I took a few brave ATG swipes on my neck).

Thanks to everyone who participated in this thread! Without it, I never would have known about this.
I'm glad you like it!

XenoRaven

So Giard, I didn't take your advice on the AS-D1. It came in yesterday and I tried it out this morning. You may have been right about getting similar performance from a DE89, but I'm honestly so happy with the results I got from the AS-D1 that I'm not feeling bad at all about the money I spent on it. I don't know if it's the better quality, or maybe the fact that my 39C is slanted whereas the AS-D1 is straight, or what. But whatever it is, I was able to shave against the grain with absolutely zero irritation. As a matter of fact, when I used the alum block this morning, I barely felt anything. Usually I'm greeted with a burning neck coupled with redness for the next hour and a half. I need to take some time to get used to it since it's much lighter than my 39C, but I think I'll be able to get a much closer shave without the irritation now. Totally worth it for me.

Chairman85

Been going through my sampler pack, and maybe my technique has improved but I'm having a lot more success with Astra SPs than I had with Feathers. Will have to try the Feathers again soon to be sure.
Apparently I've been using Astra SS not the SP. Has anyone used both?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Bought some sampler 7 o'clock Super Plats, and some Personna Med Preps. Not really satisfied with the Astra SPs at this point - I wanted to pick up some Super Iridiums but couldn't find them on the site I ordered from - realized then that they started manufacturing them under the Polsilver brand. Eh, maybe next time.

iavi

Just ordered a DE89 and tweezerman brush. Feels so good to finally get into wet shaving, as razor bumps with the 2 blade disposable razors have been hell for as long as I can remember.

Giard

So Giard, I didn't take your advice on the AS-D1. It came in yesterday and I tried it out this morning. You may have been right about getting similar performance from a DE89, but I'm honestly so happy with the results I got from the AS-D1 that I'm not feeling bad at all about the money I spent on it. I don't know if it's the better quality, or maybe the fact that my 39C is slanted whereas the AS-D1 is straight, or what. But whatever it is, I was able to shave against the grain with absolutely zero irritation. As a matter of fact, when I used the alum block this morning, I barely felt anything. Usually I'm greeted with a burning neck coupled with redness for the next hour and a half. I need to take some time to get used to it since it's much lighter than my 39C, but I think I'll be able to get a much closer shave without the irritation now. Totally worth it for me.
Awesome. People should stop listening to me more often. :p
I'm still happy with my 40's Super Speed, it'll be a while before I get a new razor.

XenoRaven

Awesome. People should stop listening to me more often. :p
I'm still happy with my 40's Super Speed, it'll be a while before I get a new razor.
Nonsense! You've handed out some terrific advice in this thread. Also, spending $180 on a razor is pretty ridiculous. But I was desparate. I gave cartridge razors another try and it felt TERRIBLE.

I will say this though, if you have to go cartridge, the Schick Hydro 5 is 1000000 times better than both the Gilette Fusion and the Mach 3. I've heard some people say the Hydro 3 is better than the 5, but I haven't tried it. If you still use cartridges after all of the wonderful information imparted on you by this thread, I would give the Schick razors a shot if you're not already using them.

Giard

Nonsense! You've handed out some terrific advice in this thread. Also, spending $180 on a razor is pretty ridiculous. But I was desparate. I gave cartridge razors another try and it felt TERRIBLE.

I will say this though, if you have to go cartridge, the Schick Hydro 5 is 1000000 times better than both the Gilette Fusion and the Mach 3. I've heard some people say the Hydro 3 is better than the 5, but I haven't tried it. If you still use cartridges after all of the wonderful information imparted on you by this thread, I would give the Schick razors a shot if you're not already using them.
Some people still use Gillette's Atra and Sensor series too. They claim they're better than their recent offerings. They might be hard to find though.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Any of you guys ever have days where a shave just won't do what it's supposed to do?

I mean, I have a rock-solid routine in the morning, every morning I shave underneath the shower with a tub of shaving soap, a nice badger hair brush and a Mach 3 which I keep fresh.
I really take my time with it.

9 out of 10 days, the shave goes perfectly. Zero irritation, extremely close shave. Once i'm done I splash my face with ice cold water, apply a very light moisturizer when the skin has dried, and my face feels as soft as silk all day. Great!

But on some days though, I do the exact same routine, but somehow my facial hair just says "Fuck you, buddy!", and refuses to cooperate. Especially the upper lip area gets very agitated and stingy, and feels like shit the entire day. Even on a brand new razor, a rich lather and all the care in the world, it still manages to feel like shit, and I end up with a mediocre shave. Worst start of any day.

What the fuck. I need to isolate the problem, but I can't find it. Skin is a fickle bitch.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
7 o'clock blues are soooo nice :D

Med Prep... maybe I need to give them a few more chances. Felt a lot of tugging with them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Any good deals on Feathers?

My setup:

gillettefusionhydragelu.jpg

gillette_mach_3_razor_incl_2_blades_1588.jpg

Am I doing it wrong?

Giard

Do you have a more specific recommendation?
I hate shaving gel too. If you want to keep using canned stuff, try Barbasol.
If you wanna invest a little more, you can get a cheap shaving soap and boar/badger brush for $20 or under.

Something like this is a good idea:
Cella Shaving Kit
It includes a Cella soap, an Omega 10049 boar brush and an Alum stick.

Cella is considered a great soap, IMO it kinda smells like almond extract and maraschino cherries.

Tess3ract

Banned
My setup:

gillettefusionhydragelu.jpg

gillette_mach_3_razor_incl_2_blades_1588.jpg

Am I doing it wrong?
Yes. This is tantamount of trolling ITT.

Few reasons why:

1. those blades give ingrown hairs, razor burn, etc
2. it's expensive to have to keep buying that garbage for what little reward you can get from it
3. this entire thread is dedicated for shaving right and saving money (in most cases).

Spend $50 on a safety razor, $20 on a pack of sampler blades, $10 on a brush, $10 on either shaving cream or soap and pick up a shallow cup or bowl from your house.

Instead of having to spend $15 for a pack of blades plus $5-10 for that shaving gel every month, you end up spending $20 for the blades once every two years (depending on how often you shave) plus $10 shaving cream maybe once a year.

ShavingGAF, I just discovered my new favorite summer aftershave:
Loa0l.jpg

This stuff smells and feels amazing! I always was partial to Bay Rum, but the addition of lime and peppercorn really makes this unique. Ogallala has a sampler set that includes the lime peppercorn in addition to their other bay rum scents for $18, and the owner usually throws in a sample of something extra for you to try. You can get it on Amazon too, but in this case I preferred to order directly from the company:
http://www.ogallalabayrum.mybigcommerce.com/ogallala-bay-rum-bonanza/

I actually won't be using the other samplers in the set, as my wife only likes the lime peppercorn one, so if anyone wants to try one, let me know via PM and I'll send them (or one) to you. I have the following 2 oz bottles:
1. Bay Rum Aftershave
2. Bay Rum with Sage and Cedar Aftershave
3. Bay Rum with Sandalwood Aftershave
4. Bay Rum Cologne

Giard

Loa0l.jpg

This stuff smells and feels amazing! I always was partial to Bay Rum, but the addition of lime and peppercorn really makes this unique. Ogallala has a sampler set that includes the lime peppercorn in addition to their other bay rum scents for $18, and the owner usually throws in a sample of something extra for you to try. You can get it on Amazon too, but in this case I preferred to order directly from the company:

I actually won't be using the other samplers in the set, as my wife only likes the lime peppercorn one, so if anyone wants to try one, let me know via PM and I'll send them (or one) to you. I have the following 2 oz bottles:
1. Bay Rum Aftershave
4. Bay Rum Cologne
I wanted to try those for a while! However, my face hates most aftershaves. :(
How's the Sage and Cedar?

I wanted to try those for a while! However, my face hates most aftershaves. :(
How's the Sage and Cedar?
It's not bad, I like all of them, but my wife says that one is a little too "sage-y". They all have a good amount of witch hazel in them, which is supposed to be good for your skin, but they are somewhat bracing. I was out in the sun last weekend for a few hours, came in and shaved, then applied the lime peppercorn. The combination of the minor sun burn and newly shaven skin made that quite an experience...

pax217

So I've been using a Merkur safety razor with Feather razors for about a month now. My current lubricant of choice is "Cremo Cream" (seen below) and I finish it all up with a splash of "Tend Skin" on the neck.
300.JPG

I have two questions:
  • How long should these razors be lasting me? I feel them getting duller after about a week. I shave daily. I don't know how "tough" my beard is, but I have extremely sensitive skin if that helps at all.
  • What are the best ways to avoid irritation that I'm not doing? I'm letting the weight of the razor do the shaving. I go with the grain (against ends up being worse), only doing one pass to avoid further irritation to the skin. I'm using tend skin daily (on weekends I put it on twice a day, some weekdays also). I shave in a hot, hot shower after washing to open pores.

Thanks Shave-GAF.

Tefleon

Neo Member
I have two questions:
  • How long should these razors be lasting me? I feel them getting duller after about a week. I shave daily. I don't know how "tough" my beard is, but I have extremely sensitive skin if that helps at all.
  • What are the best ways to avoid irritation that I'm not doing? I'm letting the weight of the razor do the shaving. I go with the grain (against ends up being worse), only doing one pass to avoid further irritation to the skin. I'm using tend skin daily (on weekends I put it on twice a day, some weekdays also). I shave in a hot, hot shower after washing to open pores.

Thanks Shave-GAF.

Hi

1. How long? Whenever you think the blade isn't sharp. Because of the DE blade costs, this isn't to bad since even at 2 a week you're looking at only a couple of £ / $ / € each month for a packet of ten.

2. I lather up for each pass and use a Alum block after I'm finished to close the pores. If you keep the razor in the shower, it might be worth cleaning the handle as it could be that in the humidity, you have something in the head which is causing problems.

Hope that helps!

jcm

I have two questions:

Thanks Shave-GAF.

1. I wouldn't use a blade that long. I generally shave 6 days a week (usually skip Sunday), and I change my blade on Monday and Thursday, so I never wonder how old it is.

2. Have you tried any blade besides feather? Some blades just don't agree with people. Get a sampler and try some others.

pax217

Hi

1. How long? Whenever you think the blade isn't sharp. Because of the DE blade costs, this isn't to bad since even at 2 a week you're looking at only a couple of £ / $ / € each month for a packet of ten.

2. I lather up for each pass and use a Alum block after I'm finished to close the pores. If you keep the razor in the shower, it might be worth cleaning the handle as it could be that in the humidity, you have something in the head which is causing problems.

Hope that helps!

1. I wouldn't use a blade that long. I generally shave 6 days a week (usually skip Sunday), and I change my blade on Monday and Thursday, so I never wonder how old it is.

2. Have you tried any blade besides feather? Some blades just don't agree with people. Get a sampler and try some others.

1) Alright, I'll start switching them out weekly.

2) I haven't tried any razors other than Feather, but I can tell you that using the Safety Razor with Feather razors is substantially better as far as irritation goes. I clean the razor after each shave... what other razors might suit me better on this issue?

Thanks guys!

Tefleon

Neo Member
I've got both Laser and Personna brands for the blade and haven't had a problem. Both should fit nicely in the Merkur DE.

Have you tried using a plan shaving soap to lather up?

1) Alright, I'll start switching them out weekly.

2) I haven't tried any razors other than Feather, but I can tell you that using the Safety Razor with Feather razors is substantially better as far as irritation goes. I clean the razor after each shave... what other razors might suit me better on this issue?

Thanks guys!

What do you mean you 'clean the razor after each shave'? I thought wiping the blade after use will dull it?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I have two questions:

Thanks Shave-GAF.

Can you lather with that shaving cream? If not, I guess I'd recommend getting a latherable shaving cream or soap and spending time lathering with a brush. I like to do this directly on the face as I feel that it lifts the hairs more and causes less irritation.

And secondly, do you have to shave daily? Shaving every other day, or even every 3rd (depending on growth) can do miracles for the skin.

pax217

Any advice on straight razor shaving?

There is no such thing as "too slow," and stay completely focused on what you're doing the entire time. My straight razor shaves have been some of the best shaves I've had, but some have also been the worst.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
My straight razor shaves have been some of the best shaves I've had, but some have also been the worst.

Yup. Same thing.

I went to DE because I got sick of sending my straight out to get honed. DE is just way more convenient and nearly as good.

jcm

[IMGhttp://i.imgur.com/Loa0l.jpg[/IMG]

1. Bay Rum Aftershave
4. Bay Rum Cologne
I bought the sampler, too. Thanks for the recommendation. It seems like its nice stuff. I'll have to see if the wife likes it. Might be too clovey for her. It reminds me of one of my favorite cocktails, the Lion's Tail.

I bought the sampler, too. Thanks for the recommendation. It seems like its nice stuff. I'll have to see if the wife likes it. Might be too clovey for her. It reminds me of one of my favorite cocktails, the Lion's Tail.
It is a little clovey, at least the plain bay rum scent is. I did find that you need to really shake the crap out of them to get all the oils to blend together. Once I started doing that, the scents were more balanced. The Lime Peppercorn is still the best, I'm ordering a big bottle of it today as I'm almost out of the sample.

Also, I just looked up that cocktail. Totally going to track that down somewhere and try one!

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
So...

Someone used a straight razor on me for the very first time today (first time at a barber).
It was honestly an amazing shave. Is "wet shaving" a good home alternative? I don't mind trying a straight razor myself, but it looks somewhat difficult.

The main appealing factor to me coming into this thread is the fact that these "wet shaving kits" sound like they are made of durable materials, and last a long time.

jcm

So...

Someone used a straight razor on me for the very first time today (first time at a barber).
It was honestly an amazing shave. Is "wet shaving" a good home alternative? I don't mind trying a straight razor myself, but it looks somewhat difficult.

The main appealing factor to me coming into this thread is the fact that these "wet shaving kits" sound like they are made of durable materials, and last a long time.

I've never had a straight shave (I plan to get my first from a barber in Instanbul at the end of the month), but I can highly recommend using a double edge safety razor at home. It has made shaving become a pleasant part of the day, when it was once a painful chore.

On another note, I think I have a new favorite cream. I used the Truefitt & Hill ultimate comfort from my sampler today, and just loved it. I actually used the whole regimen (oil, cream and balm), and it was the best shave I've had in a while. It's expensive, but I highly recommend giving it a shot. You can buy a sampler from Truefitt that includes it. And the samplers are better than most - they are sealed paper, so if nothing else they're well-suited to travel, and they last a long time. Check em out here.

Forgot to mention the T&H ultimate comfort says it's unscented, but it has lavender EO in it, so it actually has a very nice lavender scent.

TheExodu5

Banned
I need to do something about my shave. I bought a Gillette Fusion razor 2 months ago (as it was cheaper than getting Mach 3 refills) and it's been absolutely dreadful. I've gotten a bunch of ingrown hairs and now I even ended up getting a staph infection. I'm now on antibiotics for 10 days because of this stupid thing.

To preface, I have very little facial hair at this point. It's mostly all around my chin/neck, and very few hairs on my cheeks. Also, another issue is that the grain of my hair goes in weird directions. My neck hair goes sideways in places, downwards in others. It makes shaving with the grain problematic.

So, I have 2 options here:

1) Electric razor. Not a very close shave, but convenient. I don't really mind a light shadow. My prime concern is whether or not an electric razor will be able to clean up on my baby hairs that have not yet thickened.

2) Learn to shave properly with a safety razor like you fine folks. It just seems rather involved and time consuming considering I have so little facial hair.

Any input?

Emwitus

Okay gaf, i'm new to this shaving thing :( Is there anyway to stop my skin from darkening later on if i start shaving? I don't how you call it but i'm sure you guys know what i mean :( Dang facial hair!!

I just ordered a Merkur 178, a shaving set and some Feather razors as an early birthday gift to myself. I can't wait to try it out! I'm looking forward to being done with disposable razors (and in-grown hairs) for good.

Any input?

If you haven't already, buy a safety razor. I've actually gone back to my straight razor as I prefer it, but the double-edge is leagues better than Mach 3 et al. (I didn't have bad shaves with them, but the expense is ridiculous; the 5-bladers clog too easily and feel like I'm shaving with a Fisher Price My First Razor.)

Okay gaf, i'm new to this shaving thing :( Is there anyway to stop my skin from darkening later on if i start shaving? I don't how you call it but i'm sure you guys know what i mean :( Dang facial hair!!
Darkening? You mean darker beard stubble? I don't think there's anything to be done about that. A cut hair appears darker. You're not going to look like Homer Simpson. I had a friend who has never shaved, thinking it would prevent him from ever having to do so. There might be some truth to it, as he only has a couple of very long (I have no idea why he can't trim these at least) curly, pubic-y whiskers.

Success! I had my first shave with a safety razor today and it was excellent. No cuts or irritation and my cheeks feel smooth as silk. I was kind of nervous, but it wasn't a big deal at all. Count me as a convert to wet shaving.

Top Bottom