• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dunkirk |OT| You can practically see it from here...home.

Ended up getting sneak passes to check this out tonight. Haven't seen a trailer or anything. Thread has me hype for more than just a war movie.

Pretty excited. Christopher Nolan is one of my favorite filmmakers and this looks good.

Nolan never fails. Best movies include dark night trilogy, interstellar, inception.

For me personally. These 5 movies are 11 or 12/10

They go beyond the average rating. So does the Goonies, Indy series and saving private Ryan.

It's personal but am so so so so so going to watch on Max IMAX

92% 8.0 avg

But I loved Interstellar and that was like 70%.

Nolan has flaws as a film maker, but then I look at his filmography and I like or love every single one of them.

-griffy-

Banned
Anecdotal and all, but the Sunday showing at the MN Zoo, 70mm IMAX, already has more tickets sold then there were people at the showing of Spider-Man I attended at around the same time the Sunday of that opening weekend.

BkMogul

Just got in from the NYC premiere screening.

...Yeah, you guys will like this.

On another note, it has probably one of the finest musical scores I've heard in years.

Neophant

I have the fortunate happenstance of obtaining tickets for tomorrow! I can't wait...and it turns out there'll be a special IMAX event on the 20th in a theatre near where I work. Could be a great chance to see it again in glorious 70mm.

Phew, what a movie.

The way it connected the main characters was brilliant. The music, the tension, the vistas... god I need to see this again.

On another note, it has probably one of the finest musical scores I've heard in years.

It was amazing. I could hardly hold back the tears at the end.

Robiin

Gonna see this tonight. I love all of Nolan's movies so I'm really excited. Petty, small Norwegian town with a small ass theater but whatever. Why make a film in a format that's not widely available though??

Truant

Gonna see this tonight. I love all of Nolan's movies so I'm really excited. Petty, small Norwegian town with a small ass theater but whatever. Why make a film in a format that's not widely available though??

Colosseum in Oslo here. Not Imax, but pretty large screen compared to most.

If anyone is a Regal Crown Club member, they have 2 different 27x40 posters up that you can get with credits. They charge for shipping, but they're usually nice double sided posters.

zoukka

Yeah it was great! Surprisingly restrained and had very minimal character development and interaction, something we usually see almost too much in Nolan joints. The action was kinetic, the direction focused and score pretty innovative. What's not to like!

Yeah, I was very glad they did not try to add flashbacks of the characters prior to the war. The movie had one thing set in mind and I think it was executed to a tee.

Robiin

I really don't know what I thought about it. I'm kind of flabbergasted because it was absolutely not what I expected, simply because of Nolan's name. The visuals and sound (especially the sound!) were incredible.

I want to watch it again because knowing what to expect, I can make a proper judgement.

Not a plot spoiler:
I hate war movies when multiple soldiers are involved because I am awful at recognizing faces and everyone looks the same in uniform and short-ish dark hair!

I love how some of the sequences synced up, like when Tom Hardy waves back to his downed wingman, then we find out his wingman wasn't really waving but trying to get out of his cockpit or calling for help.

Miyahon

Didn't see my local IMAX as a 70mm location.

I'm curious what kind of projection it uses now since it was owned by IMAX and sold to a local theater chain in my state.

It's the only real IMAX screen in my city as all the other ones are AMC smaller digital IMAX screens.

I've seen Nolan's other films that had IMAX specific scenes at this location before that filled the whole screen and were very detailed.

KooopaKid

Banned
Just saw it. It perfectly does what it sets out to do. But it's not a very fun or rewatchable movie. It's very similar to Gravity without the wonder of the special effects and camera work: very simple premise, very few dialogs, ticking clock, non-stop suspens. The soundtrack is oppressing and brilliant.
Still 5 out of 5 because the movie intent is perfectly executed but it's not a must-see.

Eh, wasn't anything amazing. just a "regular war movie" in many ways.

Also the "Joker theme" from Dark Knight playing from start to finish could have used some breaks to give it more rhythm. Now it was just the same intensity throughout the whole film :D

Didn't much care for the characters besides the hotshot pilots.

Zousi

Impressive movie. Among the year's best. It really is like that Saving Private Ryan's opening sequence streched to a full movie in terms of high tension. Characters are not beefy at all, but they serve their purpose in showing all that desperation and horror that must have taken place. Techically it's just amazing. Totally enveloping (and scary) sound design and eerily effective photography done perfectly. Nolan, you've got some talent i tell you.

Sanjuro

Also the "Joker theme" from Dark Knight playing from start to finish could have used some breaks to give it more rhythm. Now it was just the same intensity throughout the whole film :D

Didn't much care for the characters besides the hotshot pilots.

What's a regular war movie? Captain America?

sTiTcH AU

Easily the best sounding movie I have ever heard, but I can't see myself ever needing to watch it twice. It was good.

I did not think the interconnecting timelines was good at all. I didn't feel like it added to the movie at all other than having Tom Hardy spread out through the film other than just at the end.

Independently of the quality of the film, which is obviously subjective, I didn't think it was regular at all. It was more akin to a disaster movie than to a war film, the focus predominantly on characters unable to fight back and simply attempting to survive or rescue other people.

Top Bottom